Announcements Encouraging richer and thoughtful content - New homepage

Jo

Jo

Administrator
Master Penguin
Hey guys,

So I wanted to do this for some time now but didn't have the chance nor time.

The Orange Room has always been rich with good members who contribute to millions of posts (content), however until today, we weren't able to give the contributing members recognition.

All this is about to change (well at least I will try to)

Starting today, we have a new homepage, this homepage highlights certain articles and their authors (check screenshot below)

Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 3.43.24 PM.png

So what happened here?

Every thread opened with beautiful content in its opening post can be promoted into an article. Articles look a bit different than threads, example: Announcement - Google and EU now penalize sites for extremist content with a more professional look and a simpler commenting system.
However, the core is still there. Members can still discuss the topic there.

Who can promote threads into articles?

Basically, moderators and ORS can do it.

With this, I hope to build more than a community now. The Orange Room will be a professional news source written by its own users.

I have taken the liberty to add a few just so i can populate the homepage, but this will change in the future. So far we have those authors: Authors

Few notes:

. Every author can change his own description
. Authors are identified by their name only. No private info are needed.
. This is still a beta

I really hope that with this new addition, members, including myself, will contribute richer and more professional content here. Our virtual identity is at stake :p

Thanks
Jo

Last edited:
  • Advertisement
  • mem

mem

Orange Room Supporter
    So what you are trying to say is that, we can open threads and new topics.. w the moderators and the ORS will check if the content of the thread is good .. and if it is... they promote the thread to become an article and like this, we can become authors

Am i right?

JustLeb

JustLeb

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I already have an idea of an article that might be interesting:
    Tips and Tricks for Lebanese who want to install in Paris

I don't know if such stuff is useful for the members, but I am sure it is useful for the internet users as I myself searched for similar resources when one time I had the idea to go live in Switzerland :D

Jo

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin

I don't know if such stuff is useful for the members, but I am sure it is useful for the internet users as I myself searched for similar resources when one time I had the idea to go live in Switzerland :D
    Amazing ! :D

Jo

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    So what you are trying to say is that, we can open threads and new topics.. w the moderators and the ORS will check if the content of the thread is good .. and if it is... they promote the thread to become an article and like this, we can become authors

Am i right?
    Yes. :)

JustLeb

JustLeb

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Hey guys,

So I wanted to do this for some time now but didn't have the chance nor time.

The Orange Room has always been rich with good members who contribute to millions of posts (content), however until today, we weren't able to give the contributing members recognition.

All this is about to change (well at least I will try to)

Starting today, we have a new homepage, this homepage highlights certain articles and their authors (check screenshot below)

View attachment 9148

So what happened here?

Every thread opened with beautiful content in its opening post can be promoted into an article. Articles look a bit different than threads, example: Announcement - Google and EU now penalize sites for extremist content with a more professional look and a simpler commenting system.
    However, the core is still there. Members can still discuss the topic there.

Who can promote threads into articles?

Basically, moderators and ORS can do it.

With this, I hope to build more than a community now. The Orange Room will be a professional news source written by its own users.

I have taken the liberty to add a few just so i can populate the homepage, but this will change in the future. So far we have those authors: Authors

Few notes:
    . Every author can change his own description
    . Authors are identified by their name only. No private info are needed.
    . This is still a beta

I really hope that with this new addition, members, including myself, will contribute richer and more professional content here. Our virtual identity is at stake :p

Thanks
    Jo
    You should give the authors the capacity to edit their article anytime in order to correct something or update it.
    The 15 min margin is not sufficient anymore

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter

That's a good idea actually, and it literally can be anywhere on earth not just Paris, I had to spend insane amounts of time on meetup in order to get myself some friends and meet new people lol not a single Lebanese though

Then discovered that Lebanese people meet at church on Sunday or at the consulate so that became my go to thing lmao

JustLeb

JustLeb

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    That's a good idea actually, and it literally can be anywhere on earth not just Paris, I had to spend insane amounts of time on meetup in order to get myself some friends and meet new people lol not a single Lebanese though

Then discovered that Lebanese people meet at church on Sunday or at the consulate so that became my go to thing lmao
    Good you can review the article (when I get time to write it - hopefully in a week time) and you can suggest improvement or info based on your experience.

JustLeb

JustLeb

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    @Jo
    if the XenForo you are using also supports Q&A format similar to Quora.com it will also be a good thing to activate the feature.
    This is not like a discussion thread, people looking at Q&A want to see good answers appear directly to them and are not interested in flipping tens of pages find one.

J

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
    There used to be a blog in the old forum. I used to post in it. Then one day it was erased and I lost all that content... @Jo you knew you could count on me to ***** about something :) but that was before you took over.

I used that blog to post threads that used to get deleted (or simply get the "thread closed" treatment, or not get approved, when I was on the Black list of opening threads) by unfair biased moderation in those dark days of the forum :)

Jo

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    There used to be a blog in the old forum. I used to post in it. Then one day it was erased and I lost all that content... @Jo you knew you could count on me to ***** about something :) but that was before you took over.
    Well cant wait to read more of your *****ing then :)

Jo

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    We are getting 15% of all google search related to Elections (in english)

me so happy :)

google search hits from Feb till now:

Screen Shot 2018-03-03 at 5.48.21 PM.png

Jo

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    Is the new version of the forum using AMP pages?
    not yet.

Working on this.

However, if you've noticed, now if you open a link from the forum and it is AMP enabled, it will give you a super nice experience :)

J

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
    @Jo, you should open an "almost daily" thread on the most controversial political/electoral topic of the day. Maybe not daily but surely there are a couple of key political news of the week. You should also link to a couple of news articles related to it, and open for discussion. You don't have to provide an opinion since you prefer to stay a bit away from that. But others will, and you will always be linked to breaking issues, and it doesn't take too much of your time. Of course many times members will beat you to that, however many times they miss certain news, and often times it is not a thread.