• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

England Vs Ecuador

Antonio117

ENG ECU 25 Jun Match 51:Kick Off Time: 17:00(CET)
Venue: Gottlieb-Daimler-Stadion
Referee: DE BLEECKERE Frank
Temperature: 23°C 75°F
Conditions: Fair

It is winner-takes-all time at the 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany™. England and Ecuador go head-to-head on Sunday, with a coveted quarter-final place at stake. While the winners can start looking ahead and continue to dream of glory, the losers face catching an early flight home, and inquests into what might have been.
Luis Suarez’s Ecuador team have made comfortable progress up to now, showing glimpses of genuine quality in their 2-0 win over Poland, and their subsequent 3-0 success against Costa Rica. England’s passage from the group stage, however, was less serene. Although unbeaten in their three matches so far, Sven-Goran Eriksson’s side have not convinced, and seem to be feeling the heat of being among the pundits' top tips for the Trophy. A shaky 1-0 win over Paraguay got their tournament under way, and they followed it up with a 2-0 success over the minnows of Trinidad and Tobago, and an exciting 2-2 draw against bogey side Sweden.

The 1966 champions may have tallied just one more point than their Round of 16 opponents during the first phase, but the gulf in expectations between the opposing sets of fans is startling. For the South Americans, simply reaching this stage of the tournament is a significant victory in itself. This is only the Andeans’ second FIFA World Cup, and their confident and accomplished displays against Poland and Costa Rica will have been an enormous fillip for their Colombian coach Suarez.

In many ways, Ecuador have nothing to lose, although having come this far, they will be determined to give a good account of themselves. England, roared on by their expectant and demanding fans, will be hoping to shake themselves out of their slumber, and put in the kind of performance that their star-studded line-up undoubtedly has up its sleeve.

Colours for the game:
England: White shirts, navy blue shorts, white socks.
Ecuador: Yellow shirts, blue shorts, red socks.

The line-ups:
Much as there are certain similarities in style between the two teams, most of all in terms of their orthodox 4-4-2 formations, the match-up in Stuttgart will provide the capacity crowd with the prospect of a classic Europe versus Latin America clash.

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then Suarez owes a great deal to his Colombian footballing education. The influence on Ecuador’s gameplan of the Colombian teams of the 1980s is unmistakeable. Suarez likes his team to play expansive attacking football, moving the ball around quickly with flair and width, following a blueprint developed by Colombia’s former national coach, and Suarez’s mentor, Francisco 'Pacho' Maturana.

England’s 4-4-2 is a more defensive alignment, and Eriksson’s back four will be keen to cut out the long diagonal balls favoured by the Ecuadorians to capitalise on the aerial strength of strikers Agustin Delgado and Carlos Tenorio. The experience of centre-backs John Terry and Rio Ferdinand will be crucial if the English are to win that particular tactical battle.

As Manchester United defender Ferdinand made clear, there is room for improvement at the back. “We didn’t defend well against Sweden, and that’s not something that you can usually say about England. But it’s better that it happened now as opposed to happening against Ecuador.”

In the absence of goalscorer Michael Owen, expected to be out for five months with an anterior cruciate ligament injury, Eriksson will be forced to go with the twin spearhead of Wayne Rooney and target-man Peter Crouch. The two strikers will be comforted to know that their injured team-mate is behind them all the way. “I’ll watch all of the games, and I’ll give the team all my support, hopefully right through to the Final in Berlin,” said the England No.10.

The duel
The match-up between Ecuador’s evergreen centre-half Ivan Hurtado and England prodigy Wayne Rooney will be one of the game’s main talking points. After his recent injury frustration, the sublimely talented Rooney will be itching to prove his fitness, and Eriksson will look to the powerful 20-year-old to provide a cutting edge up front. It will fall to the veteran Hurtado to keep Rooney in check, an unenviable task at the best of times.

For his part, the young Manchester United striker feels that he has made a full recovery from the metatarsal injury that put his inclusion in Eriksson’s final 23-man squad in severe jeopardy. “I don’t feel any extra responsibility. I’m almost fully fit, and so the fact that I haven’t scored yet isn’t a problem. The goals will come.”

Hurtado, meanwhile, is a talismanic figure in Ecuadorian football. The experienced stopper is playing in what is likely to be his last FIFA World Cup. He will be hoping to sign off with a stellar performance, and the Andeans’ chances of making the quarter-finals depend to a large extent on his individual battle with the young Englishman.

Past meetings
England won the sides' one previous encounter, a 2-0 victory in Quito which formed part of their preparations for the Mexico 1970 finals.

Injury doubts
Ecuador have a full complement of players from which to choose. Eriksson is still missing Gary Neville due to a calf problem.

What they're saying
Luis Suarez, Ecuador coach: The England team is one of the best in the world, and it’s not going to be easy at all. But it’s not a case of all or nothing, because regardless of the result, we should take pride in what we have achieved so far.

Frank Lampard, England midfielder : They (Ecuador) lost their last game against Germany, but they were playing without a few regulars. I think that we were more impressed with their first two games, and now they are going to be keen to get back to that standard.

fifaworldcup.com

Moonlapse

This game will be played in the late afternoon and apparently it will be the hottest day of the year in Stuttgart and extremely humid, the Brits can't play under the heat, but Ecuador is probably one of the best conditioned teams, this game can easily go either way.

Chief

Today, 25/06/2006, Ecuador will be roosted by the English Hooligans.

England will qualify to the quarter finals to face Netherland or portugal .. And here comes the juicy part!!!

Good Luck for the English Squad.. Beware of the injuries, this could be FATAL

C H I E F

maven

I hope after the match we sing na na na hey hey hey good bye for the english fans......hehehehehehe

Antonio117

I will be the 1st supporter of Australia tommorow

me too....lol

Halla2 to be sincere ... I also have the feeling Ecador will win ....

they are unpredictable....they may do anything especially that all their strikers will be back...and they have a great defense..

freelebanonn

Legendary Member
i dont think ecuador will be the surprise in this wc but swiss or ukraine i think both can win over italy an reach the semis england will face brasil or spain in the semis i am sure.

maven

Ukraine wont beat italy, but switzerland can...since mr blatter will do his best with refs to reach his nation to the top.

Anyways, the topic is about england vs ecuador...I think england is the favourite...but in football miracles exist and I believe in it.
Go ecuador go!

Superman

I don't know why I have the feeling that we won't win today ...

I hope I am wrong
U'd better be wrong Rooney:biggrin:

In my opinion, its not going to be an easy game for England but im definitly sure we're gonna qualify to the quarter final...

And as Chief said, BEWARE OF INJURIES...

Luck mates...

Antonio117

Jesses

for sure england will althought owen is injured cut we have the best midfilders with lampard,gerrard, beckham and joe cole and with yhe best defender with sol campell, rio ferdiand and jhon terry .......... thats y we're gonna bet ecuador hardly !!!

Jean

Legendary Member
it seems that england is much better, they are playing on the offense in the 1st 5 minutes

Jean

Legendary Member
there was 2 yellow cards for the ecuadorian players TENORIO Carlos (37') and VALENCIA Luis (24')
anyways, it's a boring game till now