Turkey Erdogan wants nukes

• Thread starter True Palestinian
  • Start date
True Palestinian

True Palestinian

Erdogan says it's unacceptable that Turkey can't have nuclear weapons

ANKARA (Reuters) - Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said on Wednesday it was unacceptable for nuclear-armed states to forbid Ankara from obtaining its own nuclear weapons, but did not say whether Turkey had plans to obtain them.

“Some countries have missiles with nuclear warheads, not one or two. But (they tell us) we can’t have them. This, I cannot accept,” he told his ruling AK Party members in the eastern city of Sivas.

“There is no developed nation in the world that doesn’t have them,” Erdogan said. In fact, many developed countries do not have nuclear weapons.

Turkey signed the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty in 1980, and has also signed the 1996 Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty, which bans all nuclear detonations for any purpose.

Erdogan hinted that he wanted the same protection for Turkey as Israel.

“We have Israel nearby, as almost neighbors. They scare (other nations) by possessing these. No one can touch them.”

Foreign analysts say Israel possesses a sizable nuclear arsenal. Israel maintains a policy of ambiguity around the nuclear issue, refusing to confirm or deny its capabilities.

• Advertisement
  • True Palestinian

True Palestinian

Said this before and I'll say it again: Obama's only lasting legacy will be the nuclear arms race in the Middle East.

TayyarBeino

TayyarBeino

Legendary Member
    بالصورة - "يافطة" على باب مدخل السفارة التركية: "إنتو كمان انضبو"

SEPTEMBER

علقت مجموعة من الشباب "يافطة" على باب مدخل السفارة التركية في الرابية.

وكُتب على "اليافطة" "إنتو كمان انضبو" وذلك ردا على بيان الخارجية التركية الذي طال رئيس الجمهورية العماد ميشال عون.

AtheistForYeezus

AtheistForYeezus

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter

SEPTEMBER

وكُتب على "اليافطة" "إنتو كمان انضبو" وذلك ردا على بيان الخارجية التركية الذي طال رئيس الجمهورية العماد ميشال عون.
    I think this is unacceptable. Lebanon-Armenians should stop imposing their anti-Turkism on Lebanon.
    We enjoy good relations with Turkey like they enjoy good relations with Israel.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I think this is unacceptable. Lebanon-Armenians should stop imposing their anti-Turkism on Lebanon.
    We enjoy good relations with Turkey like they enjoy good relations with Israel.
    The Armenians in Lebanon entertain no relationship with Israel.

As for those who were born and raised in Armenia, and who have never set foot in Lebanon, they have nothing to do with your conflict with Israel. There is no reason for them to create a conflict just to make you happy.

You, on the other end, should know that you can't trust the Turks. It's not that long ago that they occupied and starved you.

J

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member

As for those who were born and raised in Armenia, and who have never set foot in Lebanon, they have nothing to do with your conflict with Israel. There is no reason for them to create a conflict just to make you happy.

You, on the other end, should know that you can't trust the Turks. It's not that long ago that they occupied and starved you.
    And those in Iran allah yse3edon :)

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    And those in Iran allah yse3edon :)
    Armenia and Iran have a good relationship. Armenia has a good relationship with everyone, in fact, with the exception of Turks and Azeris.

Anyway... @manifesto was writing posts sympathetic to Israel this past week, so yeah...I think he just missed me and wanted my attention :p

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

Legendary Member
    Armenia and Iran have a good relationship. Armenia has a good relationship with everyone, in fact, with the exception of Turks and Azeris.

Anyway... @manifesto was writing posts sympathetic to Israel this past week, so yeah...I think he just missed me and wanted my attention :p
    If I am not mistaking Azeris comprise the majority of Iran's population.

Venom

Venom

Legendary Member
    Everyone should have nukes.
    It’s not right for specific countries to have while others don’t.

Libnene Qu7

Libnene Qu7

Super Ultra Senior Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    It's not right for any country to have nukes. If the current system is unfair, it is still far better than having more countries owning these disastrous weapons. Furthermore, given the genocidal slant of the Turks, and their inability to apologize for it to this day, they should be one of the last countries ever to have nukes.

AtheistForYeezus

AtheistForYeezus

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter

Similarly, the Lebanese have no problem with post-Ottoman Turkey. It's one of our few remaining regional allies.
    I sympathize with the plight of Armenians and all they've been through, and their demands to have the Armenian genocide recognized, but I don't think the solution is to vandalize the Turkish embassy.

It was just an analogy. Still haven't changed my mind about the Jews being the victim in the Arab-Israeli conflict.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I sympathize with the plight of Armenians and all they've been through, and their demands to have the Armenian genocide recognized, but I don't think the solution is to vandalize the Turkish embassy.
    It's a banner. It takes three minutes to remove. That's hardly vandalism.

True Palestinian

True Palestinian

SEPTEMBER

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

Lebanon Envoy Summoned over Anti-Turkey 'Provocations'

It's a technology dating back to the 1940s. Its dissemination is inevitable, if a communist dystopia like North Korea can make nukes, you can bet pretty much every other country out there can obtain nukes as well. Also, it's something of an open secret that Iran bought nukes on the black market from ex-Soviet republics when the USSR fell.

It's not an issue of "rights" or even duties. Weapons are meant to be used. What should be distressing is that in the Middle East there is no "balance of terror", this is a place where regimes use chemical weapons on their own population. The nuclear arms race in the region will lead to nuclear warfare, it won't lead to a cold war, the people in this region are the very antithesis of wisdom.

If I am not mistaking Azeris comprise the majority of Iran's population.
    Iranian Azeris are a very prominent and successful minority in Iran. Khamenei is Iranian Azeri, here's a speech of his in Azeri for instance:

Last edited: