• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Informational [Fiber - FTTC this year] Ministry of Telecom

• Advertisement
  • walidos

Orange Room Supporter
    The red part is a comment by someone
    I figured, because the article doesn't say that... Ba3den hayda the wazir tueini, if he has something he should go public, regardless of which minister is involved

Noborders

Legendary Member
    I'm warning you guys if Lebanon ever gets @ least 100/100 Mbit/s stable connection .. I might move back to Lebanon ASAP! :D

Noborders

Legendary Member
    Imad Kreidieh‏@ikreidieh 19h19 hours ago
    FTTH tested today in Meten using Ogero server ....

What the point of this? we want real numbers that every household can get and beyond Beirut, Matn area...
    They should show us connection speed of different areas across the country from a typical household..

If every household can get somewhere around 10/10 Mbit/s and it being stable 98% of the time then we can speak of an real success here anything less than that is not!

Noborders

Legendary Member
    And also someone who know this new guy Imad please advice him to work on changing/remaking Ogero's ugly website.. it looks like it was made in early 2002..

Raficoo

What the point of this? we want real numbers that every household can get and beyond Beirut, Matn area...
    They should show us connection speed of different areas across the country from a typical household..

If every household can get somewhere around 10/10 Mbit/s and it being stable 98% of the time then we can speak of an real success here anything less than that is not!
    I do believe they're demonstrating FTTH system and that they have the ability to implement this system in the future in Lebanon. As for the test today, it's demonstrating G.FAST technology, meaning you can get that crazy speed on DSL (620Mbit down, 85Mbit up) without needing fiber directly to your house or building, however you gotta be a very close distance from the cabinet to use the technology to its full potential, and that's where FTTC comes in handy.

Alot of areas farther away from their corresponding 'centrales' aren't able to benefit from the new open speeds, and even some are probably still getting less than 2mbit/s, however once FTTC is implemented it should really start to solve a major part of the problem here

Once the FTTC project is up and installed most throughout Lebanon, most users should be able to get fast speeds via VDSL, and G.Fast to get insane download speeds if they're really close to the cabinet, and...I hope, FTTH will be available as a service someday

Noborders

Legendary Member
    I do believe they're demonstrating FTTH system and that they have the ability to implement this system in the future in Lebanon. As for the test today, it's demonstrating G.FAST technology, meaning you can get that crazy speed on DSL (620Mbit down, 85Mbit up) without needing fiber directly to your house or building, however you gotta be a very close distance from the cabinet to use the technology to its full potential, and that's where FTTC comes in handy.

Alot of areas farther away from their corresponding 'centrales' aren't able to benefit from the new open speeds, and even some are probably still getting less than 2mbit/s, however once FTTC is implemented it should really start to solve a major part of the problem here

Once the FTTC project is up and installed most throughout Lebanon, most users should be able to get fast speeds via VDSL, and G.Fast to get insane download speeds if they're really close to the cabinet, and...I hope, FTTH will be available as a service someday
    Thank you.. that is very informative..

so I would guess the FTTC is still in its early stages and there is still a long way for most areas in the country to get a stable and fast connection.. as they haven't started building these cabinets all over the country ?

Or are the cabinet already there and they are just building the fiber optic cables to them?

An interesting question to Ogero would be how many fibre cabinets are being planed to have in each city/area and what distances have they considered as per the image bellow we are not anywhere near having FTTC unless I have missed these fiber cabinets being on every street corner in the country..

Raficoo

so I would guess the FTTC is still in its early stages and there is still a long way for most areas in the country to get a stable and fast connection.. as they haven't started building these cabinets all over the country ?
    As far as I know, parliament a week or so ago approved the budget for the FTTC project (it was originally denied by then got approved later on), this is according to Mr.Imad's tweets

He also mentioned the project should start in September, but for it to be complete might take a year or two. I've heard of a few FTTC systems already in place for areas that desperately needed it (ex: a friend of mine lives on the outskirts of the city had to wait a day for the internet to connect, so Ogero set up a cabinet for the new residential area and now most of users there can get fast open speed internet)

An interesting question to Ogero would be how many fibre cabinets are being planed to have in each city/area and what distances have they considered as per the image bellow we are not anywhere near having FTTC unless I have missed these fiber cabinets being on every street corner in the country..
    Also Mr.Imad tweeted that they plan on having a cabinet installed every 800m, and at these distances <=800m users can benefit greatly using VDSL as being less than 1Km from the cabinet means, theoretically, you can get about minimum 25-30Mbit/s download (more or less depending on the wiring locally; faster as you're closer to the cabinet)

In the end, this project is the first vital step in getting our average speeds up above our current sh***y rates that appear in statistics

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    فايبر اوبتيك اوجيرو قريباً بالحمرا و الأشرفية!
    نستقبل طلبات سكان هذه المناطق من الآن حصراً عبر [email protected]

OGERO's Fibers SOON in Hamra & Achrafieh!
    Accepting redisents' applications only through [email protected]