FPMers, where do you think Bassil messed up?

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

1- Over-promised and under delivered on Electricity.
2- Personally : the whole mantra of christian rights
3- Regardless of the intent, he comes off as very arrogant which is not appealing to people. Might not be tangible but its there.
4- He went against previous commitments of FPM not have MP be Minister at the same time.
5- The line between fighting from the inside and just surrounding himself with his own business buddies to have them win projects and fund his campaigns is blurry and casting doubt on his integrity -> Only corruption investigation can fix this.
6- Overall FPM has a serious Media and communication problem from OTV to Tayyar.org to Bassil. In the day of social media warfare they are way behind on spinning stories or at least containing them.
7- Surrounding himself with stooges like Joseph abou fadel and Samir sfeir
8 - The way he imposed himself to become leader of FPM without elections and removing all opponents : did he end up modifying the party by-laws to allow him to be president ad-vitam eternam ?
I'm curious. Do you support him nonetheless?

Last edited:
  • Advertisement
  • Mockinggbird

Mockinggbird

He did not mess up, his fault is that he is not Michel Aoun, never will be, and can never fully inherit Aoun.
    This is why he is trying too hard, and while doing that, he is losing not only credibility, but also internal support within FPM and the close family.
    bullshit
    if he was a failure nobody would have wasted time to attack him
    the biggest sign he is very successful is the huge attacks he is receiving right and left
    the most successful politician in Lebanon right now is GB
    the Maestro of Lebanese politics is GB

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

Aoun messed up when he forgot his " ibra2 mousta7il" and going hand in hand with a militia
    he wanted to unifi the rifle .. but now he is ok with missiles ?!
    This is gold man. Funny how people fail to see the double standards and hypocrisy.

F

freelebanonn

Legendary Member
    reason he is hated by many:
    1-overpromised and underdelivered.
    2- arrogant approach against everyone who disagree with him.
    3- The way he became head of the party and the modification of the internal law.
    4- very smart and hardworking which triggers his incompetent opponents.
    5- knew how to beat the corrupt politicians in Lebanon in their own game ( something GMA failed to do many times).
    6- His sectarian approach for certain files.
    i can go on but points 2-4-5 and 6 are also the reason why he is loved by many.

Aoune32!

Aoune32!

reason he is hated by many:
    1-overpromised and underdelivered.
    2- arrogant approach against everyone who disagree with him.
    3- The way he became head of the party and the modification of the internal law.
    4- very smart and hardworking which triggers his incompetent opponents.
    5- knew how to beat the corrupt politicians in Lebanon in their own game ( something GMA failed to do many times).
    6- His sectarian approach for certain files.
    i can go on but points 2-4-5 and 6 are also the reason why he is loved by many.
    his just arrogant thats y people dont like him. men5aro ktir 3ale and for nothing. his sectarian but so is the rest so mafe fare2.

The_FPMer

The_FPMer

Go back to the government formation talks of 2008/2009 and see for yourself.
    Why? You should ask those who oppose him.
    Corrupt people opposing someone doesn't immediately make him a good person. This is beyond naive. Besides, at that point he was a nobody.

Tayyar9

Tayyar9

Legendary Member
    It's just a conjecture. There's no way to prove that factually and rationally, only emotionally.
    Again, I told you it's weird and does raise question. I'm not stating it's a fact. But it does lead to asking why.

loubnaniTO

loubnaniTO

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Super Penguin
    while i agree with most of the points raised so far in this thread, and personally i have said since day 1 i am not a big fan of GB, i still fail to understand why the HATE of GB is so AGGRESSIVE in Lebanon?

If you take a step back and think of all these points listed in this thread in the biggest context, try to evaluate other politicians against these criteria:

Let's take Saad Hariri. He is THE Prime Minister, and has been for a while!
    - he is ultimately the responsible for the performance of the government (more than Bassil)
    - he always over promised and under delivered (just like GB)
    - AHL EL SOUNNA (god forbids you criticize him)
    - weak personality! not much charisma!! gosh i can't watch him make a speech
    - GB made inappropriate comments about women!, Hariri paid $16m to a mistress!
    - GB got the leadership of FPM in an undemocratic way? Saad got [email protected] by his FAMILY when his dad was assassinated!
    - GB got rich (though his family known to be well off... nothing new)... Saad? COME ON! parliament met and voted on an exemption to tax Hariri's inheritance!!!
    - GB allied with HA? Hariri is known to be a slave to Saudi Arabia... and when he was not listening properly, he was KIDNAPPED by Saudi arabia, and he still praises them.

So yes, i still don't like Bassil, BUT ONE HAS TO QUESTION WHY IS HE SO HATED, When others are NO BETTER, and yet not hated that much....
    One has to question whether it is a concerted effort to paint HIM personally as the EVIL while covering up on others.

Resign

Resign

Orange Room Supporter
    while i agree with most of the points raised so far in this thread, and personally i have said since day 1 i am not a big fan of GB, i still fail to understand why the HATE of GB is so AGGRESSIVE in Lebanon?

If you take a step back and think of all these points listed in this thread in the biggest context, try to evaluate other politicians against these criteria:

- he is ultimately the responsible for the performance of the government (more than Bassil)
    - GB got the leadership of FPM in an undemocratic way? Saad got [email protected] by his FAMILY when his dad was assassinated!
    - GB got rich (though his family known to be well off... nothing new)... Saad? COME ON! parliament met and voted on an exemption to tax Hariri's inheritance!!!
    - GB allied with HA? Hariri is known to be a slave to Saudi Arabia... and when he was not listening properly, he was KIDNAPPED by Saudi arabia, and he still praises them.

So yes, i still don't like Bassil, BUT ONE HAS TO QUESTION WHY IS HE SO HATED, When others are NO BETTER, and yet not hated that much....
    One has to question whether it is a concerted effort to paint HIM personally as the EVIL while covering up on others.
    Sorry but No speech is as disgusting as the speech of Bassil
    Hariri doesn't roam the country reminding everyone who killed who and who kidnapped who

Bassil brought this to himself, he's stupid and unfit to address the Lebanese people

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

Sorry but No speech is as disgusting as the speech of Bassil
    Hariri doesn't roam the country reminding everyone who killed who and who kidnapped who

Bassil brought this to himself, he's stupid and unfit to address the Lebanese people
    I think the Lebanese sympathize with Hariri due to the way his father got assassinated.
    They view him as this commoner who got into politics due to circumstances and not by choice. Also, the fact he actually resigned, means he's not totally indifferent to people's demands.

I truly believe that Hariri is deep down a very decent man, whose decisions are sometimes badly influenced by the Sunni street and Lebanon's complex political landscape.

Resign

Resign

Orange Room Supporter
    I think the Lebanese sympathize with Hariri due to the way his father got assassinated.
    They view him as this commoner who got into politics due to circumstances and not by choice. Also, the fact he actually resigned, means he's not totally indifferent to people's demands.

I truly believe that Hariri is deep down a very decent man, whose decisions are sometimes badly influenced by the Sunni street and Lebanon's complex political landscape.
    I wouldn't go that far
    I think he's Maskhara, weak, كل عمرو تابع and unable to take any decision on his own

The_FPMer

The_FPMer

Saad Hariri is tall and has a baby face (well not really but compared to Gebran), is kind and affable in public. Gebran is the total opposite of that. And that's how he's winning the hearts of Aounists. He vents their anger. "Drob 3al tawle ya Aoun" is indicative of a certain picture of a leader. The one who can beat the corrupt at their own game and come out victorious. Someone who can intimidate with his speeches and make the crooks tremble in fear of his reprisal. How much of that is rooted in reality is moot. That's what PMA gave the Aounists and that's what Gebran is doing. It works in his target audience, but doesn't at all outside of it.

loubnaniTO

loubnaniTO

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Super Penguin
    Saad Hariri is tall and has a baby face (well not really but compared to Gebran), is kind and affable in public. Gebran is the total opposite of that. And that's how he's winning the hearts of Aounists. He vents their anger. "Drob 3al tawle ya Aoun" is indicative of a certain picture of a leader. The one who can beat the corrupt at their own game and come out victorious. Someone who can intimidate with his speeches and make the crooks tremble in fear of his reprisal. How much of that is rooted in reality is moot. That's what PMA gave the Aounists and that's what Gebran is doing. It works in his target audience, but doesn't at all outside of it.
    so that warrants this unprecedented WAR ON BASSIL? to the exclusion of all others?
    are the Lebanese that naive and silly that they would blame 30 years of their own mistakes in electing a corrupt class of politicians on Bassil, just because he is short and does not have a baby face?
    Sometimes we get angry with our kids for their poor behaviour, we forget that we're the ones who raised them and failed.

Leb_Rebel

Leb_Rebel

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter

At the time, we were supposed to be better than “them”

On many points Gebran is ticking the boxes of Lebanese leaders in other parties.

That said, I agree he gets unwarranted attention compared to others but also I think he asked for it by asking to be the center of attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Orange Room

The_FPMer

The_FPMer

so that warrants this unprecedented WAR ON BASSIL? to the exclusion of all others?
    are the Lebanese that naive and silly that they would blame 30 years of their own mistakes in electing a corrupt class of politicians on Bassil, just because he is short and does not have a baby face?
    Sometimes we get angry with our kids for their poor behaviour, we forget that we're the ones who raised them and failed.
    No one blamed 30 years of mistakes on Gebran. He's being scapegoated, sure. But if you ask people about Berri, Hariri and Joumblatt, they won't exclude them from the "Kellon Ya3ne Kellon" list unless they're members of the those leaders' parties.