Garbage Dumped Along Coast in Lebanon - Where is the Accountability?

Is the garbage today on the coast of Kisarwan

• Government fault

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • Sami Gemayel Fault

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Nobody

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nature

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Lebanese People

Votes: 14 60.9%

• Total voters
L

Libanes

This is despicable news although not surprising - the 'government' has proven their incompetence for decades and it's obvious they have no credibility nor ability to manage neither our waste collection nor electricity. What's the solution? Decentralize the decision making, create dumps at the homes of these politicians, and what about the irresponsible words of Environment Minister Tareq al-Khatib who basically acknowledged this latest incident and almost justified it...

A "mountain of garbage" dumped at sea off Beirut under a deal between the government and a company has sparked outrage in Lebanon, two years after mass protests over a waste crisis.

For the past 10 days, civil society groups have shared images of trucks carrying rubbish and tipping it into the Mediterranean, a process that is ongoing.

Activists say the waste from the "mountain of garbage" at Bourj Hammoud in north Beirut is disposed of under an agreement between the government's Development and Reconstruction Council (CDR) and a private company.

"They are taking garbage from this mountain that has been there for 20 years... and throwing it into the sea," said Wadih al-Asmar, an activist from the "You Stink" campaign behind the protests in 2015.

Environment Minister Tareq al-Khatib on Tuesday confirmed the existence of an agreement between the CDR and a private firm to dump the waste at sea.

Khatib said he had sent letters to the CDR to "rectify" the situation and that he was trying to find the "best way to limit" the damage.

But activists vented their anger on social media, branding the situation "shameful."

"Waste is thrown into the open sea and the environment minister justifies it... he gives them the green light," said the You Stink campaign.

Asmar, the campaign activist, denounced the disposal of the garbage at sea without any treatment, saying it was "killing the marine ecosystem."

Lebanon experienced a major waste crisis in mid-2015, with garbage piling up in the streets of Beirut and its surroundings after the closure of the country's main landfill.

This crisis triggered mass protests, with many taking aim at politicians in a country that has suffered endemic corruption since the end of the 1975-1990 civil war.

In 2016, the government decided to reopen the landfill temporarily and to create two more dumps, one in Bourj Hammoud next to the "mountain of garbage" whose stench fills the air in the capital's northern suburbs.

• Advertisement
  • Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    When people were protesting about the garbage crisis a while back everyone villified the protesters and was somehow cheering for the government... This is your garbage crisis resolution, the entire country is a dump ^_^

The Jade

The Jade

Legendary Member
    When people were protesting about the garbage crisis a while back everyone villified the protesters and was somehow cheering for the government... This is your garbage crisis resolution, the entire country is a dump ^_^
    They were accusing them of being with the opposition
    Or even paid by foreign parties.

But what's important is that Aoun is president!
    Who cares about our environment?
    Who cares about our health?

O Brother

O Brother

Legendary Member
    recycling is the best solution for this problem but your government is no willing to educate its ppl about it nor is it willing to make new laws and rules to regulate it!

ye3ni at least with every new building complex there must be a recycling garbage room by law and for every apartment at least one car parking.. but no the gov don't give a shit!

And if the above seems like an impossible mission what about regulating industries, restaurants etc to force them by strict laws to recycle their garbage! many countries use their food waste to turn it into energy How Food Waste Could Power a British Town - CityLab

but who am i kidding..

Last edited:
    Muki

Muki

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    recycling is the best solution for this problem but your government is no willing to educate its ppl about it nor is it willing to make new laws and rules to regulate it!

ye3ni at least with every new building complex there must be a recycling garbage room by law and for every apartment at least one car parking.. but no the gov don't give a shit!

And if the above seems like an impossible mission what about regulating industries, restaurants etc to force them by strict laws to recycle their garbage! many countries use their food waste to turn it into energy How Food Waste Could Power a British Town - CityLab

but who am i kidding..
    We can't imitate the infidels in the west!!

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    They were accusing them of being with the opposition
    Or even paid by foreign parties.
    I'm not into conspiracy theories and I think the preservation of the environment in Lebanon is one of the most important issues. However, some of the leaders of the protests, indeed, have questionable ties to foreign organizations.

It wouldn't be the first time a legitimate cause is usurped by alternative agendas.

The Jade

The Jade

Legendary Member
    I'm not into conspiracy theories and I think the preservation of the environment in Lebanon is one of the most important issues. However, some of the leaders of the protests, indeed, have questionable ties to foreign organizations.

It wouldn't be the first time a legitimate cause is usurped by alternative agendas.
    First off, these alleged stories were brought by media loyal to the government. We can all agree that their credibility is close to nil
    Second off, what if they had/have ties to foreign organisations? If the cause is right and noble, should we spit on them, pollute our lives and kill our children because we don't agree with their ties?

Have you heard of this saying?
    Nkéyé bek chachma kheré b'chenténo?

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    First off, these alleged stories were brought by media loyal to the government. We can all agree that their credibility is close to nil
    Second off, what if they had/have ties to foreign organisations? If the cause is right and noble, should we spit on them, pollute our lives and kill our children because we don't agree with their ties?

Have you heard of this saying?
    Nkéyé bek chachma kheré b'chenténo?
    No...I called those ties independently...I was not watching Lebanese media. You can check the thread in question. I raised valid concerns and backed them with pretty strong arguments, if I may say so myself.

We saw what the so-called Arab spring turned out to be. We don't want to end up with an even more disastrous situation in order to fix the existing disaster.

The Jade

The Jade

Legendary Member
    No...I called those ties independently...I was not watching Lebanese media. You can check the thread in question. I raised valid concerns and backed them with pretty strong arguments, if I may say so myself.

We saw what the so-called Arab spring turned out to be. We don't want to end up with an even more disastrous situation in order to fix the existing disaster.
    Dude, our country was being turned into a dump.
    I don't care if Satan or Israel are asking for the garbage to be cleaned, I don't think anyone should oppose any of these requests!!!!

Impera

Impera

Dude, our country was being turned into a dump.
    I don't care if Satan or Israel are asking for the garbage to be cleaned, I don't think anyone should oppose any of these requests!!!!
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

The Jade

The Jade

Legendary Member
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
    You're right, let's all get cancer and swim in garbage (both in the sea and on the roads) because of the persons who was asking for trash to be cleaned has an aunt who visited Iran 15 years ago so that makes them Iranian agents, hence their requests are wrong!

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    I have rarely been anywhere in Lebanon without garbage all over the ground / roads.
    I guess we are in agreement then that the entire country is a dump ^_^

Impera

Impera

You're right, let's all get cancer and swim in garbage (both in the sea and on the roads) because of the persons who was asking for trash to be cleaned has an aunt who visited Iran 15 years ago so that makes them Iranian agents, hence their requests are wrong!
    Why do you take opposing views to their extremes?

All I want is results. I want a better country just like you do. But I do not want Imad Bazzi, a US-trained operative, among other shading individuals and organizations to hijack a noble cause to steer the ship into chaos.

I want a better Lebanon, but I also want a sovereign Lebanon.

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    Why do you take opposing views to their extremes?

All I want is results. I want a better country just like you do. But I do not want Imad Bazzi, a US-trained operative, among other shading individuals and organizations to hijack a noble cause to steer the ship into chaos.

I want a better Lebanon, but I also want a sovereign Lebanon.
    Who gives a **** about imad bazzi or others! These demands were righteous demands, the government at the time promised that the garbage crisis would be handled... Nothing was done!

Instead everyone focused on defending themselves on the kellun ye3ne kellun front, and the country is literally going to shit