• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Gebran Bassil - Head of FPM, Leader of the Strong Lebanon Bloc and Former Minister of Foreign Affairs

Dr. Strangelove

Nuclear War Expert
Staff member
Denial decorated with a splash of wishful thinking.
Keep thinking that way lol
We've been hearing claims of Aoun and the FPM being finished for decades. We've survived the fever height of the October 17 media siege, and people are snapping back out of that delusion. You'll forgive me for being extremely skeptical.

Resign

Orange Room Supporter
We've been hearing claims of Aoun and the FPM being finished for decades. We've survived the fever height of the October 17 media siege, and people are snapping back out of that delusion. You'll forgive me for being extremely skeptical.

Mate
Survived ? haha
all what FPM have left is Aoun in baabda who's detested by the absolute majority of the Lebanese people (everyone except what's left of FPM pretty much)
it's over, people are abandoning this sinking ship.
Boukra Aoun dies and it'll be the final nail in the coffin.
Khalas those people are proven frauds at this point.

Dr. Strangelove

Nuclear War Expert
Staff member
Bravo Lucien
Kebret el khasseh b rasso la Bassil
Who the hell still believes this guy

Take this fool, for instance. He's still harping on about the 24/24 thing. Never mind the fact that the argument is incredibly tired and makes very little sense, what "wou3oud kathiba" is he even talking about? In addition, Bassil has no vision now? No project? The FPM is the only party in Lebanon with any vision at all. You actually know what they stand for and how they plan to do it, which is more than I can say about - well, anyone else, really. Especially the so-called "thawra".

Maybe you and Lucien would do well to check the tens of speeches Bassil has given regularly concerning exactly that. They're right here in this thread.

Dr. Strangelove

Nuclear War Expert
Staff member
Mate
Survived ? haha
all what FPM have left is Aoun in baabda who's detested by the absolute majority of the Lebanese people (everyone except what's left of FPM pretty much)
it's over, people are abandoning this sinking ship.
Boukra Aoun dies and it'll be the final nail in the coffin.
Khalas those people are proven frauds at this point.
As I said, a massive disappointment. Seriously, don't do this to yourself. I'm not even joking.

Resign

Orange Room Supporter
I think this is the more plausible interpretation of the current situation
there's an international and internal consensus to bury FPM for good since they're at their weakest.

Dr. Strangelove

Nuclear War Expert
Staff member
I think this is the more plausible interpretation of the current situation
there's an international and internal consensus to bury FPM for good since they're at their weakest.

The FPM alone, facing international pressure and the entire mafia state - including Hezbollah? You do realize that this is music to any Aounist's ears, right?

The_FPMer

They're not finished because FPM's popularity has vanished because that's false, but they're finished because their support has diminished and will continue to. Come election time (if held) they'll never be able to get the numbers they got in 2018 (mainly due to piggy-backing off PMA being President), although anything is possible in Lebanese politics, GB has extremely low chances of being President of the Lebanese republic. FPM reached its zenith and never had the wits or the intellectual acumen to achieve at least what you expected (and rightly so) the "thawra" to achieve.

Only two things keeping LF and FPM relevant are the surreal inability of the opposition to introduce anything worthy of value and SG and PMA. LF will take a bigger hit as GB is inculcating himself within the Aounist sphere, but it's a little too late.

Dr. Strangelove

Nuclear War Expert
Staff member
They're not finished because FPM's popularity has vanished because that's false, but they're finished because their support has diminished and will continue to. Come election time (if held) they'll never be able to get the numbers they got in 2018 (mainly due to piggy-backing off PMA being President), although anything is possible in Lebanese politics, GB has extremely low chances of being President of the Lebanese republic. FPM reached its zenith and never had the wits or the intellectual acumen to achieve at least what you expected (and rightly so) the "thawra" to achieve.

Only two things keeping LF and FPM relevant are the surreal inability of the opposition to introduce anything worthy of value and SG and PMA. LF will take a bigger hit as GB is inculcating himself within the Aounist sphere, but it's a little too late.
I am of the thought that Bassil's efforts will bear fruit with the FPM support, in addition to a sort of reactionary surge of affection he continues to receive since the climax of October 17 has passed. Whether or not people will support him and the party come election time is almost entirely in the hands of the people.

To zero in on one of your other points, I'm not sure Bassil should accept becoming president himself even if the opportunity did present itself. It might be smarter for him to groom someone else from the Tayyar inner circle. I can think of no one else who would make a better president, unfortunately.

The_FPMer

To zero in on one of your other points, I'm not sure Bassil should accept becoming president himself even if the opportunity did present itself. It might be smarter for him to groom someone else from the Tayyar inner circle. I can think of no one else who would make a better president, unfortunately.
That would require a combination of selflessness and farsighted wisdom that no politician in Lebanon possesses.

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
it goes without saying that the continuity of corruption in Lebanon is due first and last to the inability of the Lebanese masses to exercise their intellectual faculties properly. i do not want to judge but something is obviously and fundamentally wrong with the people who rushed to attack bassil for refusing to hand over the decision making process to the hariri/birri/media alliance, or the wider circle which also includes HA and jumblat, and we are talking about nothing short of an organized mafia here, cartels, financial empires, corruption on all levels, absolute control over media, etc..

guys, you need to take a step back and examine what you are calling for here. you want the president to unconditionally rename the hariri team and give them absolute power and dominance over everything without any controls, checks or balances; the same team which for more than 30 years lead us to our financial destruction and corrupted every institution it controlled. add to it that hariri himself is as weak as can be on a personal level, and often time he is not the real decision maker in his team, in particular with the presence of people like sanyoura and miqati in the mix.

if you are aware of all of that, and still insist to place the blame on the president and bassil for preventing the above scenario, then your integrity is also compromised and unlike what you claim, not only you condone corruption, but you are also as corrupt as can be for no honest and intelligent person would deliver absolute power to the team that systematically sucked the livelihood of our people and brought Lebanon to the abyss.

this is not about political bickering, this is about facts; you cannot be anti-corruption and yet at the same time launch an attack against the president and bassil for refusing to empower hariri/birri. either you are lying or you are really in a coma.

people should always place their integrity and their ethical standards above petty politics, the alternative always leads to decay; and consequently, i am willing to bet that the people who hold on to their principles will always be a strong force in the face of the hariri/birri/media alliance, regardless of their numbers, and this is precisely why FPM, bassil and the president will remain the tough number in the Lebanese scene no matter how many billions are thrown to weaken them, and no matter how many sellouts keep attacking bassil and the president around the clock.

Lebnaouneh

Legendary Member
I am of the thought that Bassil's efforts will bear fruit with the FPM support, in addition to a sort of reactionary surge of affection he continues to receive since the climax of October 17 has passed. Whether or not people will support him and the party come election time is almost entirely in the hands of the people.

Ibrahim Kenaan, that is why he had a lenient approach (to no strategic loss) in regards to the budget in the parliamentary committee
He got praised by Hariri, cooperated with Berri and has a good relation with LF, he is plan B (or A) from the looks of it

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
Sorry guys, I didn't read nor hear Bassil (in case he read his statement) I am only interested in knowing if he remembered the missing soldiers who sacrificed everything and paid the ultimate price for the cause
what do you think is more likely?

• FPMers were organizing the events to remember the passed soldiers out of their own initiatives? that someone called for a centralized mass to remember the fallen ones and bassil happened to be on the list of invitees?
  • or that FPM under the directives of the leadership held as many events as possible to remember the fallen soldiers?
either you are malicious beyond redemption, or you have been really brainwashed, i hope it is the second one for your own sake.

but at any rate, the first thing that bassil said was to remember the fallen heroes, while most of the media skipped over this detail because their interests are elsewhere.

1602755896556.png
you are not in a healthy place..

Resistancefrom89

Honestly I do not know anymore who is fighting for what and for who...Things in Lebanon had always a feeling of surreal, but this time seems to be the mother of all times...
I have never been so happy as today to have left Lebanon, but also so sad that I have never managed to get it out of my mind, and to have lost so much times listening to leaders whose only know-how was to deal and wheel for their benefits, and what they believe to be their clan benefits (of course only to increase their relevance to the system). The dealing and wheeling is such a Lebanese trademark that I doubt there is any Lebanese (politician or normal citizen) who is not practising it in Lebanon.
May God have mercy on Lebanon and the Lebanese there, despite all their joint sins...

Resign

Orange Room Supporter
what do you think is more likely?

• FPMers were organizing the events to remember the passed soldiers out of their own initiatives? that someone called for a centralized mass to remember the fallen ones and bassil happened to be on the list of invitees?
  • or that FPM under the directives of the leadership held as many events as possible to remember the fallen soldiers?
either you are malicious beyond redemption, or you have been really brainwashed, i hope it is the second one for your own sake.

but at any rate, the first thing that bassil said was to remember the fallen heroes, while most of the media skipped over this detail because their interests are elsewhere.

View attachment 21726
you are not in a healthy place..

Ridiculous
He clearly meant the martyrs and not the detained
We do not want to نتذكر the detained
We want them back

You know no shame and dare trash talking @JustLeb who brought up a very valid point that Bassil purposely missed or avoided talking about.

lebnan_lilkel

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Ibrahim Kenaan, that is why he had a lenient approach (to no strategic loss) in regards to the budget in the parliamentary committee
He got praised by Hariri, cooperated with Berri and has a good relation with LF, he is plan B (or A) from the looks of it
If IK has a1% of being nominated , he will be pushed out by GB. The president has to be the party leader. That's what it is all about.
GB will never be supported by the LF, Future, Jumbo and Amal. SG thinks he is a chance. I think the president will ask for an extension of term if there is no agreement.

Resistancefrom89

Ridiculous
He clearly meant the martyrs and not the detained
We do not want to نتذكر the detained
We want them back

You know no shame and dare trash talking @JustLeb who brought up a very valid point that Bassil purposely missed or avoided talking about.

BTW not sure what make so proud to have an armenian traitor as an avatar. Someone who fled to the US and made his fortune there to buy back a politcal seat with Geagea. It is true you deserve who rules you