Gebran Bassil - Minister of Foreign Affairs & Head of FPM

• Advertisement
    No it is not derogatory. This was their identity before the confessional state. I insist because it is not a sectarian identity. This is Metwali does not mean Shi'a. It means non Arab convert. I prefer this identity. Taking that my father was Jewish, through his mother. I prefer that I call myself Metwali. It maintains something about my Jewish heritage. I refuse the identity Shi'a.
    Are the metwalis of Lebanon not originally Arabs? As far as I know most of them came from Yemen.
    Metwalis are used in the South to describe ultra-conservative/religious people....

Gibran is actually as you said. Children born to Lebanese mother, raised up, taught and graduated and speak perfect Lebanese in Lebanon are not Lebanese, not some guy in Brazil whose great-great grandfather immigrated to Brazil is a Lebanese. Fuck this country...

The Jade

Legendary Member
    I don't really get Bassil.

For the last year, he was campaigning against the resettlement of Syrian Refugees, citing Lebanon's inability to host 1.5 Million people a quarter of its population.

Now he wants to reclaim citizenship for those of Lebanese descent, which is actually quite ironic, considering that many first generation Lebanese immigrants who left before 1942, are actually Syrian on paper. LOL

Suddenly Lebanon is capable of hosting 14 Million people in the disapora? Has Bassil ever wondered what would happen to the already-saturated Lebanese job market if millions of immigrants decided to come back?
    I'm pretty sure it's not the lack of Lebanese nationality that is stopping them from coming back!

The Jade

Legendary Member
    He is a bigot, but not for these reasons and definitely not the biggest!

He's one hell of a Minister too, I'll give him that!
    One of the best in decades.
    But that's for another thread.

eLad

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Gibran is actually as you said. Children born to Lebanese mother, raised up, taught and graduated and speak perfect Lebanese in Lebanon are not Lebanese, not some guy in Brazil whose great-great grandfather immigrated to Brazil is a Lebanese. Fuck this country...
    enlighten us, when was Bassil ever against giving the lebanese nationality to the children of a lebanese mother, except the case where the father is Palestinian

JeanH

Orange Room Supporter

For the last year, he was campaigning against the resettlement of Syrian Refugees, citing Lebanon's inability to host 1.5 Million people a quarter of its population.

Now he wants to reclaim citizenship for those of Lebanese descent, which is actually quite ironic, considering that many first generation Lebanese immigrants who left before 1942, are actually Syrian on paper. LOL

Suddenly Lebanon is capable of hosting 14 Million people in the disapora? Has Bassil ever wondered what would happen to the already-saturated Lebanese job market if millions of immigrants decided to come back?
    man 14 million wont come to resetle in lebanon, its just for boosting tourism, people of lebanese origin will be encouraged to get a lebanese passport and visit lebanon, on the contrary they will bring in good tourist money

enlighten us, when was Bassil ever against giving the lebanese nationality to the children of a lebanese mother, except the case where the father is Palestinian
    What's wrong if the father is Palestinian? As long the child is born and raised Lebanese? There is many people born to Lebanese fathers and Palestinian mothers, lets take the nationality from them.

where did you read this?
    My cousin lives in the South, he told me the people use it to describe the ultra-religious people...

HannaTheCrusader

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter

bedna njaness al massi7iye, nkaye fikoun..wa kell massi7e alawe aw shi3e bednna yeah yakhoud al jensiye

bigot and proud of it...