Announcements Google and EU now penalize sites for extremist content

My Moria Moon

My Moria Moon

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
I honestly do not see how Google gets the "Feedback" about this forum. @Jo, how is reporting content done?
Do they use robotic scanners that operate on keywords/expressions or what?
Where's that Feedback link to report to Google anything about the forum?

• Advertisement
  • Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    I honestly do not see how Google gets the "Feedback" about this forum. @Jo, how is reporting content done?

This
    Do they use robotic scanners that operate on keywords/expressions or what?
    Where's that Feedback link to report to Google anything about the forum?
    I think it's more about the search result than anything else, ie: you search for a topic let's say lgbt rights for example, Oroom pops up on first page, you visit link and read thread... You're offended by some of the posts, you go back a page and flag as inappropriate!

JustLeb

JustLeb

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    @Jo do you have a facebook page for Oroom ?
    probably it would be a good idea to have one, it will attract traffic from people who are interested in the topics being discussed

My Moria Moon

My Moria Moon

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I think it's more about the search result than anything else, ie: you search for a topic let's say lgbt rights for example, Oroom pops up on first page, you visit link and read thread... You're offended by some of the posts, you go back a page and flag as inappropriate!
    Reporting content is actually a true hassle for most normal internet users. How is that done in such an easy way as to generate the tons of reports that Jo mentioned? I tried your tip, went back a page but still didn't find where I manually file a report/feedback to Goggle about anything.

The only place where Feedback link is easily found is under googles rightside search result frame, the one you get on some widely known keywords.
    I still believe they do rely mostly on their search robot dogs.

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    Reporting content is actually a true hassle for most normal internet users. How is that done in such an easy way as to generate the tons of reports that Jo mentioned? I tried your tip, went back a page but still didn't find where I manually file a report/feedback to Goggle about anything.

The only place where Feedback link is easily found is under googles rightside search result frame, the one you get on some widely known keywords.
    I still believe they do rely mostly on their search robot dogs.
    Yeah it is a hassle for me too! You can't just click a button and bam you flag as inappropriate unlike YouTube for example! We seem to have pissed off a lot of people to motivate them enough to go through the hassle lol

In Jo's post however you can see how flagging works on search results, I don't have those options on mobile or laptop, I checked

HannaTheCrusader

HannaTheCrusader

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I really don't understand the censorship here we're a lot milder as a community when compared to some parts of Reddit and even 4chan! We're also more heavily moderated already! This is some massive bullshit!

I mean hameed is a bloody angel when compared to some of the members posting on either of the above!

MSM media dont censor radical muslim posters and posts
    nor do they censor Antifa, BLM and liberals.

the rest is fair game to them

My Moria Moon

My Moria Moon

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Yeah it is a hassle for me too! You can't just click a button and bam you flag as inappropriate unlike YouTube for example! We seem to have pissed off a lot of people to motivate them enough to go through the hassle lol

In Jo's post however you can see how flagging works on search results, I don't have those options on mobile or laptop, I checked
    Yes, that's the problem. What Jo showed, I do not see, neither on safari, chrome or other browser on laptop (actually MAC :cigar: ).

HannaTheCrusader

HannaTheCrusader

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I really don't understand the censorship here we're a lot milder as a community when compared to some parts of Reddit and even 4chan! We're also more heavily moderated already! This is some massive bullshit!

I mean hameed is a bloody angel when compared to some of the members posting on either of the above!
    a sample

Oprah Shifts Blame For #MeToo Onto The General Public, Fails to Condemn Weinstein

Rather than admit this is a problem unique to Hollywood, the media and the entertainment industry, Oprah says the story is "one that transcends any culture, geography, race, religion, politics or workplace." She then proceeds to shift the blame onto the general male population and tells the story of a group of "white men" allegedly raping a black woman in 1944 (they were never prosecuted).

Notably, Oprah does not condemn Harvey Weinstein, who she's been pictured making out with. She does not condemn a single Hollywood elite by name, instead she praises Hollywood generally for giving an award to Sidney Poitier in 1964 and advancing women's rights.

Today is the 3 year anniversary of 12 people being murdered by Islamic terrorists who were offended at a cartoon.

Would we see world leaders join mass demonstrations for free speech if the same thing happened today?

Or would "Islamophobic" tweets be a bigger concern for them?

JustLeb

JustLeb

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    If you talk about jews you are labeled antisemitic
    If you talk about muslims you are labeled Islamophobic
    if you talk about gays you are labeled homophobic

but If you talk about Catholics you are progressive

this is the world we are living in

J

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member

Reddit probably has to deal with the same thing, and may not feature in some Google searches. You cannot blame Google and Facebook for this, they have a responsibility to make sure they report the most relevant search results and not propagate falsehoods and hate. They need to figure this out and the internet community should help.

To make an assessment of how fair or not fair their complaining about oroom is, and to better help as forum members, we need @Jo to post a few illustrative examples of what they complained about.

Abou Sandal

Abou Sandal

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    If you talk about jews you are labeled antisemitic
    If you talk about muslims you are labeled Islamophobic
    if you talk about gays you are labeled homophobic

but If you talk about Catholics you are progressive

this is the world we are living in
    Why didn't you mention talking about women? Aren't women worth a mention? You are misogynistic. :smuggrin:

Abou Sandal

Abou Sandal

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Who knows...A day might come where ordinary people stumbling online over offensive or illegal material, would be penalized for not reporting it.

Danny Z

Danny Z

Legendary Member
    question to Jo

Why do you need adsense at all, is that how you finance the server? or is it how you want to get more traffic to get more forumers., if it is to get more forumers then how many do you get that stick around, because it seems to me that the number is stable and users are here because they were here to becuse somebody told them about the site, not because they found it on google.
    On another note if this gets rid of people like pini, aoune32, hanna and all other racists, haters then sure why not.

J

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
    masalan, this

View attachment 9136

Which is referring to this thread Hasheeeeeeeeesh
    This one doesn't make any sense.
    I think they couldn't figure out what the hell the thread is so they classified it "No content" I don't think they are saying it contains hate.

Also the title of the thread is a "joke", so if someone searches hasheesh they may get the thread and be disappointed :) a stoner probably reported it lol (if you change the title to something more descriptive of what's in the thread you may fix this one, like: "are these people for real?! Are they smoking something?")

Can't do much about this thread... One thing is that Google may be tweaking how it serves ads and some of it algorithms, so you got a flood of notifications. Focus on the ones that are hate related and fix that.

Last edited:
    Jo

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    question to Jo

Why do you need adsense at all, is that how you finance the server? or is it how you want to get more traffic to get more forumers., if it is to get more forumers then how many do you get that stick around, because it seems to me that the number is stable and users are here because they were here to becuse somebody told them about the site, not because they found it on google.
    On another note if this gets rid of people like pini, aoune32, hanna and all other racists, haters then sure why not.
    AdSense is for monetization.

Adwords is for getting new members :D - Usually, we get registrations and they stay inactive for some time before writing something.

For example, during 2017 we got a lot of new registrations (around 262 - excluding Hameed) but few wrote more than 10 posts. Example: @Habibibi; @damascus; @Ice Tea; @Loui; @Mor_Efrem; @Randomiser @Tiger_Lebanon; @tyclegg etc...

J

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
    Me 2.
    I am not sure who defines what is a hate crime and/or extremist content.

Yes of course. Google tells me what content violates which rule.

Many did not make sense to me and I requested to review them, but none of my review requests came back positive.
    I deleted some threads (like the American Values Thread created by the rebel @Indie) which Google found (and I quote) "Redirecting users to irrelevant and/or misleading web pages", others i did not delete because they are still active with a lot of content.

You might start seeing pages now with no to little advertising. Thats Google's way of punishing the Orange Room. In addition to lower ranking on search engines akid.
    @Indie is famous at Google now lol

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    so now all of @HannaTheCrusader posts will be deleted?
    They demanded that one of my threads discussing American Values be deleted. There was no hate speech. Apparently it had misleading information. Since when do internet / tech companies decide what it true and what is not, and which opinions are misleading or not?

This is dangerously outrageous. They are now openly censoring content. If people don't stand up against this, the internet as we know it is done.

Where they can't use the "hate speech" excuse, they demonetize content they don't like. The uber sweet and benign Dave Rubin got his videos demonetized because he stopped supporting the left / liberals. PragerU as well, because they are conservative. And many others like them...

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    So how will this affect us?

Mid 2017, google added a tool for its users to flag 'offensive' search results

Google adds tool to flag 'offensive' search results

Demo:
    View attachment 9134

What should we do?

While I am not sure about how this will affect The Orange Room legally, however, it started to affect us SEO (google) wise.

Last week, I received tons of reports for "offensive" content through my google console and Adsense. This really hurts this forum.

Therefore, now more than ever I ask members to report any content that might have skipped the moderators' radar and moderators to stay vigilant as much as they can

Thanks
    Jo
    Basically...the people / groups who have the most time on their hands and the most motivation to shut down opponents get to control the flow of information.

We are no longer going towards dystopian nightmares. We are in them.