• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Gym (Bodybuilding)

Kasparov

Orange Room Supporter
Get a good foundation first, follow the strong lifts program or Mark Rippetoe program 5x5 or 3x8 routine, alternate 3 times a week between 2 workouts :
Workout A
Squat
Bench press
Pullup / chinup

Workout B
Deadlift
Military press
Dip / pushup

Concentrate on getting big, stay maximum 45-60 minutes in the gym, eat clean and always more than your required maintenance calories by 500-700 calories, your target is to build 1-2 pounds of muscle a month (12-24 pounds a year) you will be so strong. After one or two years you will have a strong foundation you can start the split routine, good luck.

Kasparov

Orange Room Supporter
Supplements :

For enegry nothing beats Creatine, its health benefits are countless.

Never use Whey protien, too much cholesterol, search for any protein with low cholesterol (hydrodized or soy), remember to grow you need 1.5-2 grams of protien per pound of weight, if you use whey you will for sure damage your body, eat clean !

Also supplement with multivitamins once a week, omega 3 once a day, and creatine !

Shev

i don't feel exhausted after the workout (~40 min each session) and I was doing this for almost 2 months before I went on vacation.

Update: I feel dead exhausted :biggrin: im still going regularly to the gym and working out more but not 6 days a week anymore; now I go 3-4 days and play ~2 hours of basketball a week.

baleha

When I go to the gym, I get surprised to see the focus that the vast majority of the people give to muscle building as compared to cardio-vascular exercise.
Is it healthy to build so much muscle mass? What is the impact on the cardio-vascular system?

Fadi007

i never was able to do chinups pullups and dips , man they are hard.

about the full body training 3 times a week i don't find it reasonable, i don't care about a site or another, it just doesn't sound convincing to me.

I've recently downloaded a video from the man himself Joe Weider , it's called "Joe Weider Bodybuilding Training System" , get this torrent , it is a little dated (1992) but it will definitely helps you in your training, great video!

and one more thing, it is the first time ever that I've heard that Creatine is healthier than whey protein!

Fadi007

has anyone tried "Serious Mass" by ON ? is it good ? i want to add muscle not fat.

Kasparov

Orange Room Supporter
has anyone tried "Serious Mass" by ON ? is it good ? i want to add muscle not fat.

Completely unhealthy, useless, will simply pack fat not muscle.

you want to pack muscle, simply eat a lot of healthy food, a balanced diet of complex carbs, proteins from healthy sources, and good fat, start by calculating how many calories your body needs each day, then add 500 calories to that number for everyday, that will result in a lean 2 pounds of muscle a month (24 pounds of muscle a year), an excellent goal - Do not use or buy any supplements other than Creatine, I talk from experience, i went from 110 Kg / 25% body fat to 100Kg with 12% body fat, I packed so much muscle just by eating right.

Kasparov

Orange Room Supporter
i never was able to do chinups pullups and dips , man they are hard.

about the full body training 3 times a week i don't find it reasonable, i don't care about a site or another, it just doesn't sound convincing to me.

I've recently downloaded a video from the man himself Joe Weider , it's called "Joe Weider Bodybuilding Training System" , get this torrent , it is a little dated (1992) but it will definitely helps you in your training, great video!

and one more thing, it is the first time ever that I've heard that Creatine is healthier than whey protein!

I doubt you will reach anywhere with the above mentality, nothing comes easy, compound movements are hardcore & they will give you strength and mass you need.

by the way the 3 times full body is recommended to beginners by most serious bodybuilding coaches (not people who sell supplements or BB magazines), including Mark Rippetoe & Christian finn.

Lastly, Creatine is very good for your health even if you do not do body building, this is backed up by scientific research, of course anything taken in excess is bad for your health -- be very careful of the damage caused by high protein diets to your kidneys, I simply go for 3 month high protein then 3 month high carb diet to make sure i do not stress my kidneys, drink 4 Liters of water when on high protein, and do no go crazy like some body builders do, your mass in pounds is the maximum amount in grams of protein that you can consume per day ... and not for a prolonged period of time.

Dalzi

Legendary Member
i never was able to do chinups pullups and dips , man they are hard
They 'were' easy for me... Man I was strong I used to laugh at those who got tired from push-ups... But I got a minor injury from weights and it set me back... However, muscles have a memory. I think I'll get back there this year if the 'na7s' luck doesn't return!

Completely unhealthy, useless, will simply pack fat not muscle.

you want to pack muscle, simply eat a lot of healthy food, a balanced diet of complex carbs, proteins from healthy sources, and good fat, start by calculating how many calories your body needs each day, then add 500 calories to that number for everyday, that will result in a lean 2 pounds of muscle a month (24 pounds of muscle a year), an excellent goal - Do not use or buy any supplements other than Creatine, I talk from experience, i went from 110 Kg / 25% body fat to 100Kg with 12% body fat, I packed so much muscle just by eating right.
100kg with 12% body fat?! What about hommous and fasoulya? :D They're good for muscle building... Do you think it's difficult for a male to bulk up without any protein supplements?

What do you do to stretch them?

Kasparov

Orange Room Supporter
When I go to the gym, I get surprised to see the focus that the vast majority of the people give to muscle building as compared to cardio-vascular exercise.
Is it healthy to build so much muscle mass? What is the impact on the cardio-vascular system?

Depends on what you consider so much muscle mass, and what type of diet you do, if you are talking about people who compete, they are unhealthy, but normal body builders with a 10-14% fat percentage (similar to a brad pitt - Troy type of body) is completely healthy, heart enlargement is almost a certainty in those cases but this is normal in any sport, a body builder usually does 10-20 minutes cardio after a weight lifting session, and when cutting for summer will do 7 days cardio, add to that diet is very important, a body builder who eats junk food everyday is digging his own grave, while someone who eats clean will outlive most people.

P.S : All "Hulk look" bodies you see are not result of natural training, but prolonged use of Steroids & Hormones - check out how body builders looked before 1950 and now.

Kasparov

Orange Room Supporter
They 'were' easy for me... Man I was strong I used to laugh at those who got tired from push-ups... But I got a minor injury from weights and it set me back... However, muscles have a memory. I think I'll get back there this year if the 'na7s' luck doesn't return!

You should work on your form, watch videos of any movement you plan to do, I notice many people in the gym going for wrong form and just asking for injuries.

100kg with 12% body fat?! What about hommous and fasoulya? :D They're good for muscle building... Do you think it's difficult for a male to bulk up without any protein supplements?

What do you do to stretch them?

Protein from food is much better than protein supplements, i simply eat steak, chicken, eggs, etc... to get my protein, I only take a protein shake after a workout - I do stretching before and after a workout, usually 10 minutes before and 5 minutes after.

Dalzi

Legendary Member
You should work on your form, watch videos of any movement you plan to do, I notice many people in the gym going for wrong form and just asking for injuries.
Yes, I learnt the lesson the hard way from the physiotherapist lol Now I move with form form form! Full on concentration of that.

Protein from food is much better than protein supplements, i simply eat steak, chicken, eggs, etc... to get my protein, I only take a protein shake after a workout - I do stretching before and after a workout, usually 10 minutes before and 5 minutes after.
Same here but without the shakes and much more stretching. I stretch before and after and do 1 hour of yoga a day, or 4-5 times a week if I'm busy. Try vinyasa. You can build strong lean muscles using the weight of your own body. It's the best thing man ever came up with; a life changer no kidding.

Kasparov

Orange Room Supporter
Yes, I learnt the lesson the hard way from the physiotherapist lol Now I move with form form form! Full on concentration of that.

Same here but without the shakes and much more stretching. I stretch before and after and do 1 hour of yoga a day, or 4-5 times a week if I'm busy. Try vinyasa. You can build strong lean muscles using the weight of your own body. It's the best thing man ever came up with; a life changer no kidding.

Not sure what Vinyasa is, I will look it up later today, but for men one of the most important things to build muscles is progressive overload, i.e. adding more weights with time, not sure it will do the job for me, I am addicted to Iron :D

Dalzi

Legendary Member
Not sure what Vinyasa is, I will look it up later today, but for men one of the most important things to build muscles is progressive overload, i.e. adding more weights with time, not sure it will do the job for me, I am addicted to Iron :D
When you get older bt'harher from iron :p lol If you want to have the stamina of a 25 year old for life, ma elak ella vinyasa (or hatha or power). You want to be Van Damme not Arnold ;) Flexible, light (even if 100kg), strong and fast.

Duncan Peak.

Kasparov

Orange Room Supporter
When you get older bt'harher from iron :p lol If you want to have the stamina of a 25 year old for life, ma elak ella vinyasa (or hatha or power). You want to be Van Damme not Arnold ;) Flexible, light (even if 100kg), strong and fast.

Duncan Peak.

I am light ! I am 190 cm so 100kg isn't fat, and actually I want to be chuck norris he owns them all :p

Dalzi

Legendary Member
I am light ! I am 190 cm so 100kg isn't fat, and actually I want to be chuck norris he owns them all :p
190 nakhle.
Lightness is a feeling btw. You could be fat as big mama or thin as Posh and still jump and hit the roof. It's about proportion and strength especially in the legs.

Van Damme is the best.

Applepie

Since this thread is active again, I started going to the gym 2 weeks ago, 5 days per week (I feel like shit for skipping yesterday)

I am starting to lose motivation since I have a feeling that I am not doing anything right, I am more interested in practical strength that's going to help me run, jump, twist and punch (you get the idea). I am really not interested in the mirror. Explosiveness, agility, speed and being fit/lean are my priorities.

I just started to know what a bench press means etc ... so I don't have a clue about weight lifting and cardio and how everything works until just recently and I still have a lot to learn.

Here is what my typical program looks like:

Monday: Chest + Cardio 40 minutes

Tuesday: Back + Cardio 40 minutes

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: Biceps/Triceps + Cardio 40 minutes

Friday: Shoulders + Cardio 40 minutes

Saturday: Legs

Sunday: Off

What do you think ? Is it good for a beginner ? My cardio consists of intervals, not high intensity though. I was told not to do abs until I lose my small "kerech" ? I have to lose some fat too of course, I am 181 CM , 80 KG.

I am open to protein shakes once a day, should I take fish oil too ?

Last thing, is it normal that I am barely able to lift with my left hand ? It seems very weak, I feel like a sissy lol.

Thanks for the help guys :rockon:

Dalzi

Legendary Member
Applepie, how much of the 40 mins do you spend on weights?

I take fish oil.

My left hand is weaker than the right...

Applepie

Cardio alone is 40 minutes. I usually need another 30-40 minutes for weights. I usually do 4 exercises for each muscle, 3 sets and 10 reps, except on the triceps and biceps day, I do 4 for each.

theMightyRedV

Since this thread is active again, I started going to the gym 2 weeks ago, 5 days per week (I feel like shit for skipping yesterday)

I am starting to lose motivation since I have a feeling that I am not doing anything right, I am more interested in practical strength that's going to help me run, jump, twist and punch (you get the idea). I am really not interested in the mirror. Explosiveness, agility, speed and being fit/lean are my priorities.

I just started to know what a bench press means etc ... so I don't have a clue about weight lifting and cardio and how everything works until just recently and I still have a lot to learn.

Here is what my typical program looks like:

Monday: Chest + Cardio 40 minutes

Tuesday: Back + Cardio 40 minutes

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: Biceps/Triceps + Cardio 40 minutes

Friday: Shoulders + Cardio 40 minutes

Saturday: Legs

Sunday: Off

What do you think ? Is it good for a beginner ? My cardio consists of intervals, not high intensity though. I was told not to do abs until I lose my small "kerech" ? I have to lose some fat too of course, I am 181 CM , 80 KG.

I am open to protein shakes once a day, should I take fish oil too ?

Last thing, is it normal that I am barely able to lift with my left hand ? It seems very weak, I feel like a sissy lol.

Thanks for the help guys :rockon:
Looks like ur program is set out pretty well. My only query is the 40min of cardio. That seems excessive unless ur doing a cardio session alone. Try and keep your whole session to 45 minutes max if u can. Shortening cardio to say 15-20 min before or after ur sesh works well. As for the keresh, I can relate to that lol, but do ab training regardless of the karoosh! U can have a keresh but a solid core from abs training so don't hold back. Good luck :takdir: oh, and the best way to lose the keresh is high intensity explosive training!