Announcements Have you seen ? Hiding posts getting negative feedback

Jo

Jo

Administrator
Master Penguin
Hey all,

We will be introducing new exciting features to the forum in the coming few weeks, its been a while eh ? :)

Features will cover security, content quality and entertainment.

Each time we introduce a new feature, I will write a new post here to explain about it.

First feature:

Content Quality improvement (like/dislike bar)

You think this is just a like/dislike feature ? well think again. All the posts now that you do not wish to see in the Syrian thread or any other thread for that matter will be hidden if they receive a lot of dislikes.
The algorithm will calculate the number of dislikes and its ratio (compared to the likes) and then will decide whether to hide the post or not.
This should increase the users influence and power on the forum's content. You guys can now shape the forum's content.

I will be modifying the algorithm as I check the activity around this feature.

Screenshot of a hidden post:
Screen Shot 2015-07-01 at 1.02.24 AM.png
You can always chose to see this post if you want by clicking on the show message link.

Happy Disliking :)
Jo

Last edited:
  • Advertisement
  • T

TmeniAzar

Hey all,

We will be introducing new exciting features to the forum in the coming few weeks, its been a while eh ? :)

Features will cover security, content quality and entertainment.

Each time we introduce a new feature, I will write a new post here to explain about it.

First feature:

Content Quality improvement (like/dislike bar)

You think this is just a like/dislike feature ? well think again. All the posts now that you do not wish to see in the Syrian thread or any other thread for that matter will be hidden if they receive a lot of dislikes.
    The algorithm will calculate the number of dislikes and its ratio (compared to the likes) and then will decide whether to hide the post or not.

I will be modifying the algorithm as I check the activity around this feature.

Screenshot of a hidden post:
    View attachment 4855
    You can always chose to see this post if you want by clicking on the show message link.

Happy Disliking :)
    Jo
    It will be nice if you can automate it to include any post that mentions religions outside of the dedicated threads :).
    I would also like to propose another feature of limiting the number of replies per thread per day for a single person, this is not general limit it is for misbehaving members, much like thread ban but lighter weight. This way when some of the members go on frenzy posting the same stuff over and over they would need to think before posting or at least consolidate their stuff so we can skip it easily.

Raficoo

Raficoo

Very nice feature! I could say I and many others were waiting for a slap alternative:p

And I like the "show hidden post" feature as well!

Muki

Muki

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Very nice and much needed feature. Good work as always @Jo!

Now... who else is curious to see what the hidden posts say? LOL.

Jo

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    @joseph_lubnan i am always curious to hear your point of view.

Dont be shy, why did you dislike this ? :)

J

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
    @joseph_lubnan i am always curious to hear your point of view.

Dont be shy, why did you dislike this ? :)
    I didn't want to ruin the party... :)

I dont particularly like dislikes :) and very rarely used them when you had the slaps before. In fact this is probably the only dislike or slap I ever given lol
    But I don't mind having the dislike option that's not what I oppose. I oppose suppressing an opinion that doesn't violate the rules because of group think or horde mentality disliking it...

You can do a search in the old forum on the number of slaps i eceived for example :) I was going for a record... Many posts of mine would have been suppressed even though they do not violate any rules. Why is that a good idea?

Besides many folks enjoyed the slaps as a fun way of communicating with each other for fun or to express disagreement etc. Now the concept of a dislike would have to be viewed in a less fun and more serious way because it can have the effect of suppressing a contribution. Not fun nor does it promote diversity...

Last edited:
    Jo

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin

I dont particularly like dislikes :) and very rarely used them when you had the slaps before. In fact this is probably the only dislike or slap I ever given lol
    But I don't mind having the dislike option that's not what I oppose. I oppose suppressing an opinion that doesn't violate the rules simply because of possible group think or horde mentality disliking it...
    It wont be suppressed. Now if a post is too much off topic and has received too many negative feedback, instead of reporting and waiting for moderator action, it will be hidden.

Users can always chose to see the post if they want, so its not suppressed, however, for the other users looking for updates, (e.g.: @Booyakasha or @ForeverOrange or @4U2IMI8 and many others ) can now browse the different pages without too much "noise".

Note that posts will not be hidden upon receiving 3 or 4 dislikes only.

J

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
    It wont be suppressed. Now if a post is too much off topic and has received too many negative feedback, instead of reporting and waiting for moderator action, it will be hidden.

Users can always chose to see the post if they want, so its not suppressed, however, for the other users looking for updates, (e.g.: @Booyakasha or @ForeverOrange or @4U2IMI8 and many others ) can now browse the different pages without too much "noise".

Note that posts will not be hidden upon receiving 3 or 4 dislikes only.
    I added a few more thoughts to my previous post check them out...

By the way I can remember many posts where I was being sarcastic about a political issue and many FPMers and HA supporters would hand me numerous slaps :) just cuz they wanted to disagree or because it annoyed them or because it touched a nerve whatever... It is not because it is not valid or not enjoyable to read even if it is sarcastic and annoying...

Anyway you asked :) so I gave you my best explanation :) it is not a big deal you try it and see how it goes. Maybe I'm wrong.

Jo

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    I added a few more thoughts to my previous post check them out...

By the way I can remember many posts where I was being sarcastic about a political issue and many FPMers and HA supporters would hand me numerous slaps :) just cuz they wanted to disagree or because it annoyed them or because it touched a nerve whatever... It is not because it is not valid or not enjoyable to read even if it is sarcastic and annoying...

Anyway you asked :) so I gave you my best explanation :) it is not a big deal you try it and see how it goes. Maybe I'm wrong.
    You are right here. Obviously this option depends a lot on the members good judgement.

We'll see how it goes.

Hameed

Hameed

I have a better suggestion especially for the members who don't like me and don't like islam and those who are born with a DNA of total ownership to the Lebanese mentality of worshiping a political figure and alienating any thought that would deviate 0.00001mm from that political figure.

The suggestion is simple. the members who hate me by design can simply have the option to hide all posts from me, instead of hiding a post in which I take time to write just because it got too many dislikes

what about the members who want to still see it ?! will you be forcing them to click the like button ?!

Dear @Jo, the aim behind your idea is the post itself which is ok if you were born in a different society ... unfortunately you are born in Lebanon, so the problem is that in Lebanon it is not the post itself that is being hated ....it is the person writing the post.

My simple suggestion

Thank you

Jo

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    I have a better suggestions especially for the members who don't like me and don't like islam and those who are born with a DNA of total ownership to the Lebanese mentality of worshiping a political figure and alienating any thought that would deviate 0.00001mm from that political figure.

The suggestions is simple. the members who hate me by design can simply have the option to hide all posts from me, instead of hiding a post in which I take time to write just because it got too many dislikes

what about the members who want to still see it ?! will you be forcing them to click the like button ?!

Dear @Jo, the aim behind your idea is the post itself which is ok if you were born in a different society ... unfortunately you are born in Lebanon, so the problem is that in Lebanon it is not the post itself that is being hated ....it is the person writing the post.

My simple suggestion

Thank you
    Hey,

I realize that members might unlike the post for non-content related issues.

This is an experimental feature and it will be updated as we move on.

Hameed

Hameed

But I don't mind having the dislike option that's not what I oppose. I oppose suppressing an opinion that doesn't violate the rules because of group think or horde mentality disliking it...

You can do a search in the old forum on the number of slaps i eceived for example :) I was going for a record... Many posts of mine would have been suppressed even though they do not violate any rules. Why is that a good idea?

Besides many folks enjoyed the slaps as a fun way of communicating with each other for fun or to express disagreement etc. Now the concept of a dislike would have to be viewed in a less fun and more serious way because it can have the effect of suppressing a contribution. Not fun nor does it promote diversity...
    @joseph_lubnan BULLS EYE !! straight to the point

Amirkani

Amirkani

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter

Dear Joseph,

All the slaps you used to get were of a sexual nature. Don't worry about your opinion being suppressed... you've lost your charm as you aged and won't be getting as many slaps :)

When was the last time I told you that I love you? Haven't you noticed it's been a while?

Mozz

Mozz

Dear Joseph,

All the slaps you used to get were of a sexual nature. Don't worry about your opinion being suppressed... you've lost your charm as you aged and won't be getting as many slaps :)

When was the last time I told you that I love you? Haven't you noticed it's been a while?
    I've been watching both of you here. I think he loves you too.

By the way, @Amirkani; are you in USA ? because if you are then dont you sleep ?

Amirkani

Amirkani

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter

By the way, @Amirkani; are you in USA ? because if you are then dont you sleep ?
    Tammantilleh baleh. I was starting to feel rejected :)

Yes I am in the U.S. currently. And of course I sleep... bass baddak le2eh a willing partner first. LOL

Dirty Dragon

Dirty Dragon

Good idea in theory but doubt it will work in practice. It will require users to consistently dislike noisy posts in bulk at rate that keeps up with postings, which probably won't happen because the forum isn't big enough for that. Group think is also real and I can see most actually hidden posts being more due to the political content or as hit backs rather than due to noise/low quality.

Nayla

Nayla

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Annoying posts used to be hidden when we chose to "ignore" them.

The "like" button is something very positive and it spreads a friendly spirit in the forum while the "dislike" button could have a negative impact and will probably create a tense atmosphere, especially that many members would be very subjective, and most of the times they may "dislike" a post without reading it, just because it has been written by someone they "dislike".

Removing the "dislike" button will keep the forum healthier and the atmosphere more friendly.

Last edited:
    Jo

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    Here is an example of unevenly applied suppression of posts due to dislikes.

War in Syria - News and Updates[Year 2015 Events] | Page 576 | The Orange Room - Lebanon's number one discussion forums

Basically the horde ignores a bad post because the poster is on their political side and gang up on the reply and suppress it because the poster is not on their side politically...
    Annoying posts used to be hidden when we chose to "ignore" them.

The "like" button is something very positive and it spreads a friendly spirit in the forum while the "dislike" button could have a negative impact and will probably create a tense atmosphere, especially that many members would be very subjective, and most of the times they may "dislike" a post without reading it, just because it has been written by someone they "dislike".

Removing the "dislike" button will keep the forum healthier and the atmosphere more friendly.
    The main issue here is hiding bad content and encouraging good quality posts.

I trust the members' judgement. Lets give it a bit of time and see where this leads us.
    Ma fi shi monzal, if it doesnt work, we remove it.

Danny Z

Danny Z

Legendary Member

He sleeps with Hameed or want to at least, but apparently Hameed is not attracted.