Announcements Have you seen ? Hiding posts getting negative feedback

• Advertisement
  • Hameed

Hameed

@Danny Z

hey this LGBT is going out of hand @Jo ..... @Amirkani ya mouftari ... typical american behavior

Republican

Republican

Legendary Member
    Where did the breadcrumb trail go? (not happy)

Jo

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    This is a reminder for everyone.

I encourage you to use this feature more. I will start using it myself also to express my dislike for some content.

Last edited:
    Picasso

Picasso

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Hey all,

We will be introducing new exciting features to the forum in the coming few weeks, its been a while eh ? :)

Features will cover security, content quality and entertainment.

Each time we introduce a new feature, I will write a new post here to explain about it.

First feature:

Content Quality improvement (like/dislike bar)

You think this is just a like/dislike feature ? well think again. All the posts now that you do not wish to see in the Syrian thread or any other thread for that matter will be hidden if they receive a lot of dislikes.
    The algorithm will calculate the number of dislikes and its ratio (compared to the likes) and then will decide whether to hide the post or not.
    This should increase the users influence and power on the forum's content. You guys can now shape the forum's content.

I will be modifying the algorithm as I check the activity around this feature.

Screenshot of a hidden post:
    View attachment 4855
    You can always chose to see this post if you want by clicking on the show message link.

Happy Disliking :)
    Jo
    So a group of members can gang around some other members and take away their freedom of expression. This opens the door towards lobbies being formed in order to forcefully silence other members.

I suppose the best way to hide or delete posts is by alerting a moderator about it, and the latter would evaluate the post based on forum rules.

Picasso

Picasso

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Hey all,

We will be introducing new exciting features to the forum in the coming few weeks, its been a while eh ? :)

Features will cover security, content quality and entertainment.

Each time we introduce a new feature, I will write a new post here to explain about it.

First feature:

Content Quality improvement (like/dislike bar)

You think this is just a like/dislike feature ? well think again. All the posts now that you do not wish to see in the Syrian thread or any other thread for that matter will be hidden if they receive a lot of dislikes.
    The algorithm will calculate the number of dislikes and its ratio (compared to the likes) and then will decide whether to hide the post or not.
    This should increase the users influence and power on the forum's content. You guys can now shape the forum's content.

I will be modifying the algorithm as I check the activity around this feature.

Screenshot of a hidden post:
    View attachment 4855
    You can always chose to see this post if you want by clicking on the show message link.

Happy Disliking :)
    Jo
    So a group of members can gang around some other members and diminish their freedom of expression. This opens the door towards lobbies being formed in order to forcefully silence other members.

I suppose the best way to hide or delete posts is by alerting a moderator about it, and the latter would evaluate the post based on forum rules.

Democracy is not only about the hordes using their numbers, it's also about the right of the individual to be heard despite being an individual.

Jo

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    So a group of members can gang around some other members and take away their freedom of expression. This opens the door towards lobbies being formed in order to forcefully silence other members.

Its the decision of the majority.

Instead of the moderating team deciding whether to delete a post or keep it. The majority of the members will.

And it is not deleting the post, it is soft hiding it.

Jorje

Jorje

Legendary Member
    Its the decision of the majority.

Instead of the moderating team deciding whether to delete a post or keep it. The majority of the members will.

And it is not deleting the post, it is soft hiding it.
    What a joke this is Jo. In any decent community, the majority has no right deciding whether every post stands or not. That's why we have rules and stuff and not mob rule.

What do you mean also by encouraging to use the dislike feature? When do you think members should use it? Please answer this and don't run and hide.

Jo

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    What do you mean also by encouraging to use the dislike feature? When do you think members should use it? Please answer this and don't run and hide.
    Whenever they feel a post do not deserve to be here.

Why would i hide ?

Jorje

Jorje

Legendary Member

Why would i hide ?
    So essentially you endorse a policy encouraging posters to suppress posts that they simply find disagreeable, regardless of the reason.

It's just astonishing to me that you would think this is appropriate or that it has no bearing on freedom of expression or institutionalizing mob rule.

I guess it fits Lebanon pretty well. So never mind. :)

Jo

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin

Why would i hide ?
    So essentially you endorse a policy encouraging posters to suppress posts that they simply find disagreeable, regardless of the reason.

It's just astonishing to me that you would think this is appropriate or that it has no bearing on freedom of expression or institutionalizing mob rule.

Why is it a mob rule ?

Isnt this what democracy is all about ?

Now, of course if i notice that some posts are hidden just for spite, moderators will take action.

DLT

DLT

Orange Room Supporter

Don't worry, people only dislike when there is an insult not when you have a different opinion. :)

Jo

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    Can Likes offset dislikes?
    Yes.

The more likes a post get, the more dislikes it will need to get hidden.

For example, a post with 5 likes and 5 dislikes wont get hidden.