Healthcare Experience

What kind of healthcare does your country have?

• Private

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Public

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Mixed

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
Orange Room Supporter
So to infuriate Americans further here is a story a friend had to pay $175 out of pocket in Portugal for
- ER visit
- X-ray
- Cast
The ER co-pay alone in the US is 3-4 times as much :mad:
I watched a report a while back about how insurance companies are sending people on holidays to France when they need scheduled procedures done, they even give them money to shop around , hotel stays, car service etc. And it's still cheaper than paying for their operation in the us, I'll try to find it again

• Advertisement
  • RMac

RMac

Orange Room Supporter
    I was going to buy insurance from Lebanon, then was told that I couldn't do that. Now I am thinking of buying a house in another state so I can use it as my address. I guess different states have different rates here

Muki

Muki

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Connecticut
    One fault in Obamacare is that it is applied on state-by-state basis. So much variation from one State to another and even from one county to another in a state. As I said, the numbers seem insane to me because my experience in California has been overall positive with Obamacare. Regardless, these numbers are completely off the charts for other developed countries, as other members can attest. We simply pay more for shittier healthcare, and quarter of the costs goes towards administrative tasks.

We really need a federal healthcare system that applies to everyone the same regardless of where they lived. It will certainly prevent politicizing healthcare like what happened and is happening with Obamacare.

Mrsrx

Mrsrx

Somehow a Member
    Staff member
    I just have to get this off my chest. In the USA, I was paying 1,200 a month for a family of 4 for medical and dental insurance, after Obamacare I received a letter from my insurance company stating that they no longer offer insurance in my state. Now buying insurance from my states health exchange it is costing me 2,600 a month for 2 people without dental.
    My understanding is that obamacare was horribly built.
    1)For a public healthcare to work it needs to be mandatory. As it is not "healthy people" do not subscribe and pay which makes it more expensive
    2) A government organization needs to control prices of medicine and medical services

that means public healthcare cannot really bi liberal and needs to be well controlled. Basically mandatory giving in order to receive.
    I do not mind paying a bit when im healthy so an old person can be taken care of.

i think the us public does not like to hear the "you have to pay and you have no choice" and that is why some internal politics botched your healthcare and is making you pay that much. It sucks that it is costing you this.

The horrible trend tends to be the poorest are the unhealthiest and that is why mandatory subscription is crucial.

L'arbalette

L'arbalette

My understanding is that obamacare was horribly built.
    1)For a public healthcare to work it needs to be mandatory. As it is not "healthy people" do not subscribe and pay which makes it more expensive
    There was an individual mandate. Current administration did away with it

L'arbalette

L'arbalette

I just have to get this off my chest. In the USA, I was paying 1,200 a month for a family of 4 for medical and dental insurance, after Obamacare I received a letter from my insurance company stating that they no longer offer insurance in my state. Now buying insurance from my states health exchange it is costing me 2,600 a month for 2 people without dental.
    I pay $2,453 per month for medical and dental (family of 4), and insurance pays nothing of the first $6,000 of spend. So you're guaranteed to be $36K out of pocket before the insurance pays anything.

L'arbalette

L'arbalette

i think the us public does not like to hear the "you have to pay and you have no choice" and that is why some internal politics botched your healthcare and is making you pay that much. It sucks that it is costing you this.
    Just like with guns and other things, the US public is totally gullible and manipulated by Lobbies that benefit from the status quo (drug companies - who typically make over 100% of their profits in the US -, health insurance providers, hospitals, etc.)

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    How the hell are you guys even able to afford living in the united states? These prices are nuts!

CitizenOfTheRepublic

CitizenOfTheRepublic

Legendary Member
    I pay $2,453 per month for medical and dental (family of 4), and insurance pays nothing of the first $6,000 of spend. So you're guaranteed to be $36K out of pocket before the insurance pays anything.
    Which state do you live in?

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    @CitizenOfTheRepublic

Found the vid:

Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    interesting. i pay about 3000$ per year for two people, no deductibles, first class insurance, all medical tests are covered, so are all ER visits. and we get international coverage as well, meaning that if we happened to be in a visit to the USA and needed to be hospitalized or had to go to the ER, that is also covered in full.. isn't that ironic? you guys should consider moving back to Lebanon :p

L'arbalette

L'arbalette

How the hell are you guys even able to afford living in the united states? These prices are nuts!
    My father lost a tooth while in France. Took him to a dentist who worked "on him" for at least thirty minutes. At the end, the dentist asked for 45 euros. I was like "non, non, il n'a pas de couverture medicale, ni de secu, vous etes sur que vous n'avez pas oublie 1 ou 2 zeros"?

The annual dental check up for my daughters (15 minutes) cost $300 each

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    My father lost a tooth while in France. Took him to a dentist who worked "on him" for at least thirty minutes. At the end, the dentist asked for 45 euros. I was like "non, non, il n'a pas de couverture medicale, ni de secu, vous etes sur que vous n'avez pas oublie 1 ou 2 zeros"?

If he had social security, they would have reimbursed you 70% or total cost depending on whether your employer offered a mutuelle or not! I honestly feel lucky just being in this country now!

Mrsrx

Mrsrx

Somehow a Member
    Staff member

That is why healthcare is affordable as the government controls the prices to a certain degree that even fancy doctors who want to jack up the prices cannot be that far off.

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    That is why healthcare is affordable as the government controls the prices to a certain degree that even fancy doctors who want to jack up the prices cannot be that far off.
    Fancy doctors are around 75 euros, I went to a fancy gyno lol

L'arbalette

L'arbalette

It's a different philosophy of life in general. There is a wider cultural difference between the US (except my tiny island, and maybe California + VT) and Europe than there is between Europe and Lebanon (on most matters).

The Americans are a very interesting and surprising people. How they accept to live in a country where the cards are stacked against them is beyond me. Healthcare, education, the broader safety net, the value of human life is so different, which is ironic for a country that trumpets "christianity" left and right, basic solidarity and caring for the poor and excluded is considered a moral failing.