Help - Lebanon in the US

Nonan

This is a shameless ask for help. My daugter’s school in NYC is organizing an “international night” where representatives from different countries are meant to educate children about the culture, people, food, talent, etc.
I got somehow convinced to do Lebanon. Does anyone here have any ideas, pictures, etc. They could share with me? I was going to have some hommous, falafel, Za3tar an de halewe, and then have the children write their name in Arabic. I was hoping to print some beautiful pictures, put some facts and some famous people, that would be accessible / interesting for children that are 5 to 10 years old.

The French are putting on an impressive show and our southern neighbors will be there too so i can’t disappoint. Any suggestions, data, pictures, would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • JustLeb

Legendary Member
    This is a shameless ask for help. My daugter’s school in NYC is organizing an “international night” where representatives from different countries are meant to educate children about the culture, people, food, talent, etc.
    I got somehow convinced to do Lebanon. Does anyone here have any ideas, pictures, etc. They could share with me? I was going to have some hommous, falafel, Za3tar an de halewe, and then have the children write their name in Arabic. I was hoping to print some beautiful pictures, put some facts and some famous people, that would be accessible / interesting for children that are 5 to 10 years old.

The French are putting on an impressive show and our southern neighbors will be there too so i can’t disappoint. Any suggestions, data, pictures, would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Did you leave Paris ???

JustLeb

Legendary Member

Thanks
    I don't know if this helps, try this Mental Scenes Production
    They used to post nice videos from drones

Isabella

The Queen Of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    Maybe some fast fun facts about Lebanon like the fact that the name has been unchanged for more than 4000 years, or that Beirut and Byblos are two of the oldest continuously inhabited city in the world (5000 years)...

Food is good, maybe get the children to make their own sandwiches? Or organise a dabke dance for the class on some feiruz song lol? Serve them grape juice to symbolise our number 1 export, wine ? Or something that resembles Arak for demonstration I think grapefruit essential oil turns white when mixed with water (not sure needs googling lol), make them or buy them some fezzes for traditional garments lol? Edit: I actually found some fezzes for 3 euros/piece maybe check if you can find some on Amazon or something lol

There are some interesting vids on YouTube about Lebanon as well I'll link some later :)

Nonan

Maybe some fast fun facts about Lebanon like the fact that the name has been unchanged for more than 4000 years, or that Beirut and Byblos are two of the oldest continuously inhabited city in the world (5000 years)...

Food is good, maybe get the children to make their own sandwiches? Or organise a dabke dance for the class on some feiruz song lol? Serve them grape juice to symbolise our number 1 export, wine ? Or something that resembles Arak for demonstration I think grapefruit essential oil turns white when mixed with water (not sure needs googling lol), make them or buy them some fezzes for traditional garments lol? Edit: I actually found some fezzes for 3 euros/piece maybe check if you can find some on Amazon or something lol

There are some interesting vids on YouTube about Lebanon as well I'll link some later :)

Thanks. I thought of dabke but given I am terrible at it, I’m not sure I can do a demo :). Isn’t Fezze Turkish? Arak would have been great, but I would go to jail, this is the US after all ;-)

changetheword

Thanks
    You can also find traditional lebanese dresses/costumes in Paterson NJ
    I can get you the store name/address if interested

Isabella

The Queen Of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    Thanks. I thought of dabke but given I am terrible at it, I’m not sure I can do a demo :). Isn’t Fezze Turkish? Arak would have been great, but I would go to jail, this is the US after all ;-)
    Yeah but they still wear them in chouf so you can get away with it lol! Also that's why I suggested grapefruit oil, it's the anis oil that turns white in water so I guess essential oils would do for a demonstration lol just make sure they're made for consumption ie from a bakery or something

One word - dabke. It is a cultural nuclear bomb. Few pointers and then make the gringos hold hands and try, more than worth the effort and any awkwardness.
    Other than dabke and food, a bit about Lebanon's history. You can use some screenshots from this video for example to show Lebanon's ancient and diverse history.

Some friends organized something along this lines on a US college campus once (I was there but as an observer lol), it made the Israelis scramble to organize their own event right away ;)

Nonan

Yeah but they still wear them in chouf so you can get away with it lol! Also that's why I suggested grapefruit oil, it's the anis oil that turns white in water so I guess essential oils would do for a demonstration lol just make sure they're made for consumption ie from a bakery or something
    I have an arguile I could bring but then again I’ll be accused of promoting tobacco... I worry they would accuse me of promoting alcoholism

Nonan

One word - dabke. It is a cultural nuclear bomb. Few pointers and then make the gringos hold hands and try, more than worth the effort and any awkwardness.
    Other than dabke and food, a bit about Lebanon's history. You can use some screenshots from this video for example to show Lebanon's ancient and diverse history.

Some friends organized something along this lines on a US college campus once (I was there but as an observer lol), it made the Israelis scramble to organize their own event right away ;)
    I can see college kids doing dabke but 5 to 10 year old kids, would be quite tricky... especially led by a hopeless dancer like me... I have a “Trump” card. The school’s principal is originally Syrian. I’ll claim her as a celebrity :)

I can see college kids doing dabke but 5 to 10 year old kids, would be quite tricky... especially led by a hopeless dancer like me... I have a “Trump” card. The school’s principal is originally Syrian. I’ll claim her as a celebrity :)
    Must have missed the 5-10 year old part :)
    Deghre celebrity. Make sure she is comfortable on camera ;)

Muki

Orange Room Supporter
    Don't do like the Lebanese at my university - they were demonstrating dabke one time, but they were dancing the wrong way (clockwise) lol.

Last edited:

Muki

Orange Room Supporter
    It is important to teach kids who the enemy is.