Holiday Spirit: Share Your Culinary Christmastime Indulgences!

Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove

Nuclear War Expert
Staff member
With Christmastime nearing and our spirits in desperate need of some lifting, Holiday Spirit is a series of threads to help us feel a tiny bit of that Christmas cheer. Check out the other threads in this series: What Are Your Favorite Christmas Songs? and What's Your Favorite Christmas Movie?

If I have to be honest with myself, these threads are pretty cheesy. You know what else is cheesy? Cheese.
Cheese also happens to be one of my favorite indulgences during the festive season. A fat, stinky wheel of Camembert paired with a good whisky or a Trappist beer... *sigh*

97114bb06de62780da37020ba2f3c885.jpg

Let's face it. The holidays aren't complete without stuffing yourself on something good. What are your favorite Christmastime foods? What are your guilty pleasures? Any tasty recipes you're planning on trying? What are you looking forward to feasting on these coming weeks? What are you eating right now?

This opening post was going to end on that note, except that something hit me as I was going for the "post thread" button... With things going the way they are in Lebanon, "culinary indulgences", or any food even, will likely be a luxury many families might not be able to afford this year. I'm not trying to make you feel bad in a feel good thread, but may this also be a reminder for us all to be thankful for what we have. Better yet, let's all make sure to seek out charitable organizations in our areas that are working to put food in hungry families' bellies this holiday season, and help them out!

• Advertisement
  • Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter

Foie gras poêlé et confit d'oignons. Has been our thing since I met my husband, he cooks it once every year at the end of the year around Christmas.

Of course there's also the oysters, the smoked salmon, the dinde, the buche, the wine the cheese etc. But this is the thing we only eat once/year and look forward to every year (we tried to eat it more than once years ago it got very old very fast lol)

Walidos

Walidos

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Christmas food is awesome...
    our traditional Christmas Always has a turkey with stuffing and loads of bacon, roast potatoes with lots of butter and dates in a blanket... The rest simply changes every year, these are the staples.

other winter food:

For cheese lovers: buy yourselves a Whole Camembert, slice thin shards of garlic and randomly push them in the camembert, add a tablespoon of white wine, and sprigs of rosemary, then oven roast until cheese inside bubbles... use hard bread to dip - and thank me later :)

For truffle lovers: buy truffle infused honey and add it to your cheese platter, goes better with yellow, strong cheese...

SAVO

SAVO

For cheese lovers: buy yourselves a Whole Camembert, slice thin shards of garlic and randomly push them in the camembert, add a tablespoon of white wine, and sprigs of rosemary, then oven roast until cheese inside bubbles... use hard bread to dip - and thank me later :)
    thats my facvorite ---swiss raclete

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    isn't the way of doing the cheese ( melting it ) ?
    It's both, it has a specific type of cheese also called raclette i think it has a different name in German

Walidos

Walidos

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Raclette is a type of cheese, it's not camembert, but it does come from Switzerland
    I’m giving fondue a shot this new year... since for the first time we will not spend it in lebanon :)

Walidos

Walidos

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    isn't the way of doing the cheese ( melting it ) ?
    No the actual cheese is called raclette! The specific way of melting it is Swiss tradition...

Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove

Nuclear War Expert
    Staff member
    I've never tried that before. It sounds delicious.

What I like to do is make sure the Camembert is nice and ripe, throw some walnuts on it and add honey.

I'm definitely following your advice soon.

Walidos

Walidos

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter

What I like to do is make sure the Camembert is nice and ripe, throw some walnuts on it and add honey.

Make sure the garlic is thin, you don’t want a chunk of uncooked garlic in your Bouchée

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    Christmas food is awesome...
    our traditional Christmas Always has a turkey with stuffing and loads of bacon, roast potatoes with lots of butter and dates in a blanket... The rest simply changes every year, these are the staples.

other winter food:

For truffle lovers: buy truffle infused honey and add it to your cheese platter, goes better with yellow, strong cheese...

Man I don't understand the fuss with camembert whatsoever! It's my least favourite cheese after Roquefort and gorgonzola.