Holiday Spirit: Share Your Culinary Christmastime Indulgences!

• Advertisement
  • Walidos

Walidos

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    nah..
    the truffle u can mainly fnd in 2 regions ..
    piemonte and umbria ..

Umbria white truffle is top !
    Alba is in piedmont... Alba has 58 Michelin starred restaurants... it’s a town of 53sqkm and 32k people........!

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    With Christmastime nearing and our spirits in desperate need of some lifting, Holiday Spirit is a series of threads to help us feel a tiny bit of that Christmas cheer. Check out the other threads in this series: What Are Your Favorite Christmas Songs? and What's Your Favorite Christmas Movie?

If I have to be honest with myself, these threads are pretty cheesy. You know what else is cheesy? Cheese.
    Cheese also happens to be one of my favorite indulgences during the festive season. A fat, stinky wheel of Camembert paired with a good whisky or a Trappist beer... *sigh*

Let's face it. The holidays aren't complete without stuffing yourself on something good. What are your favorite Christmastime foods? What are your guilty pleasures? Any tasty recipes you're planning on trying? What are you looking forward to feasting on these coming weeks? What are you eating right now?

This opening post was going to end on that note, except that something hit me as I was going for the "post thread" button... With things going the way they are in Lebanon, "culinary indulgences", or any food even, will likely be a luxury many families might not be able to afford this year. I'm not trying to make you feel bad in a feel good thread, but may this also be a reminder for us all to be thankful for what we have. Better yet, let's all make sure to seek out charitable organizations in our areas that are working to put food in hungry families' bellies this holiday season, and help them out!
    Lately, I basically eat because I have to. I eat the minimum necessary of whatever is in the house or easily available. For some reason, I'm not craving anything and I'm bored of everything.

In the new year I'm going to try new recipes. Got a bunch of super healthy, delicious looking ones from the internet.

SAVO

SAVO

Alba is in piedmont... Alba has 58 Michelin starred restaurants... it’s a town of 53sqkm and 32k people........!
    yes i know .. that because they are open to international market.
    while umbria is mot rustic region very traditional and medieval..they have the real best truffle..

SAVO

SAVO

by the way , since we are talking about food .. what do u guys eat for breakfast usually..
    @IsaBells @Dr. Eggnog @Mistletos

Walidos

Walidos

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    by the way , since we are talking about food .. what do u guys eat for breakfast usually..
    I barely have time! I do the school run in the morning, I usually get whatever leftovers my kids don’t finish :)

what id like to eat:
    - full English breakfast
    Or
    - poached eggs on brioche with hollandaise sauce
    Or
    - croissants and Cornish pastries...
    Or
    - toast and butter with jam

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    Not a big fan of breakfast in general although I did really enjoy this outrageous delicacy in Bretagne while visiting almost every single day for two weeks lol, the kouign amann:

Basically bread dough rolled with lots of butter and sugar then cooked the sugar gets caramelised and the whole thing is delicious and decadent AF

SAVO

SAVO

my classic BKF ( outside home ) is this with espresso

1576543104199.png

when i do bkf home ,i like eggs , and i have zaatar from lebanon .. i like to do cheese on toast and spread over it some zaatar .. its nice ..:)

my favorite thought , it can be found only in lisbon .. Pasteis de nata

1576543046881.png

Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove

Nuclear War Expert
    Staff member
    My favorite meal of the day, believe it or not. Whole/half-skimmed milk or home-made laban with muesli/granola and fresh fruit is my go-to, but my breakfasts can vary wildly.

During Christmastime, however, I often like to prepare Baileys hot chocolate to sip on when it's snowing on a Sunday morning and I have all the time in the world.

maxresdefault.jpg

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    Is this sour cream the white thing?
    Maybe, lots of people like their mjaddara with laban or labne sour cream has a bit of a similar taste so it can work

Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove

Nuclear War Expert
    Staff member
    Well @IsaBells, what kind of cheese do you like then?
    Bonus points for something that goes well with a robust red wine.

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    I like hard aged cheeses like comté, gouda, cantal, tommes de brebis, etc. I also love all things chèvre especially picodon and sainte-maure. Brie is not bad as well I prefer it to camembert and I do tolerate camembert just not the one au lait cru I can't get past the smell lol

I think the reason I don't like Roquefort is the brebis cru origin, same reason I don't like any other brebis cheese except hard ones, can't get on board with the taste.

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Orange Room Supporter
    get urself a nice pecorino or some st maure, but most importantly, i ask, why the robust red wine with cheese? keep it for a good steak, have some syrah or cabernet/syrah with cheese.

Last edited:
    Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Orange Room Supporter
    I like hard aged cheeses like comté, gouda, cantal, tommes de brebis, etc. I also love all things chèvre especially picodon and sainte-maure. Brie is not bad as well I prefer it to camembert and I do tolerate camembert just not the one au lait cru I can't get past the smell lol

I think the reason I don't like Roquefort is the brebis cru origin, same reason I don't like any other brebis cheese except hard ones, can't get on board with the taste.

Walidos

Walidos

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    This is not mjaddara though, I think we call it mdardara ... for me mjaddara is all creamed up (except for very little rice)
    Maybe, lots of people like their mjaddara with laban or labne sour cream has a bit of a similar taste so it can work

Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove

Nuclear War Expert
    Staff member
    get urself a nice pecorino or some st maure, but most importantly, i ask, why the robust red wine with cheese? keep it for a good steak, have some syrah or cabernet/syrah with cheese.
    You're right. What I had in mind was something else entirely - fortified red wine, like port wine. I've had it on several occaisions with aged gouda or some kind of blue cheese, and the combination struck me as very wintery.

I am not as well-versed in wine culture as I am in whisky and beer culture. You'll have to excuse me. 😌