Holiday Spirit: Share Your Culinary Christmastime Indulgences!

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
Orange Room Supporter
You're right. What I had in mind was something else entirely - fortified red wine, like port wine. I've had it on several occaisions with aged gouda or some kind of blue cheese, and the combination struck me as very wintery.

I am not as well-versed in wine culture as I am in whisky and beer culture. You'll have to excuse me. 😌
port wine goes very well with cheese but again is not a heavy wine. heavy wines are merlot, bordeaux, pinot noir and any unnamed but labeled “old/legacy” cépage.

altho gouda wuld not be my first choice, or at least try a guda with cumin.

khoury winery makes a very very good syrah u shuld giv it a try

A6465EFF-1689-42EA-A587-AD0280BCB5EC.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Orangina

Orangina

Legendary Member
    I like hard aged cheeses like comté, gouda, cantal, tommes de brebis, etc. I also love all things chèvre especially picodon and sainte-maure. Brie is not bad as well I prefer it to camembert and I do tolerate camembert just not the one au lait cru I can't get past the smell lol

I think the reason I don't like Roquefort is the brebis cru origin, same reason I don't like any other brebis cheese except hard ones, can't get on board with the taste.
    comte is yammi

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    port wine goes very well with cheese but again is not a heavy wine. heavy wines are merlot, bordeaux, pinot noir and any unnamed but labeled “old/legacy” cépage.

altho gouda wuld not be my first choice, or at least try a guda with cumin.

khoury winery makes a very very good syrah u shuld giv it a try

View attachment 16260
    I think white wines pair better than reds with cheese, I particularly like Pouilly fumé, sancerre and muscadet with a nice chevre, I think they also pair quite well with soft cheese like brie and camembert for those who are so inclined :p. I go with Riesling for comté âgé . But reds can also work if no white available, especially soft reds.

In regards to Gouda guess you haven't tried the really excellent aged goudas that crumble in your mouth and leave crunchy crystals behind 😍. Gouda I find goes well with beer.

Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove

Nuclear War Expert
    Staff member
    Deleted a couple of posts that were getting a bit too off-topic. The off-topic rule won't be enforced too strictly in casual threads such as this, but let's try to keep things from going completely off the rails. Might not be a bad idea for someone to start a Lebanese wine thread.

Anyway, someone recommended I try trifle cake this Christmas. Naturally, my kind of trifle cake would look something like this:

dirt.jpg

"Dirt" trifle. Makes me want to shovel it all up.

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    what about this ? in italy its a very traditional xmas cake

there is also this but i dont like it much

Omg panettone is one of my favourite things in Christmas season, and I don't even like dried fruit but this this is heavenly 😍! You just reminded me to go buy some lol. Bet in Italy they taste even better than France

SAVO

SAVO

Omg panettone is one of my favourite things in Christmas season, and I don't even like dried fruit but this this is heavenly 😍! You just reminded me to go buy some lol. Bet in Italy they taste even better than France
    of course..
    in france u have only mass industrial stuff.. here we buy them from artigianal local workshops
    i like to eat them with mascarpone cream.

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    of course..
    in france u have only mass industrial stuff.. here we buy them from artigianal local workshops
    i like to eat them with mascarpone cream.
    No we do have some artisanal panettone at some bakeries which is what I buy anyway, but since it originates in Italy then that's where you're more likely to find the best ones

SAVO

SAVO

No we do have some artisanal panettone at some bakeries which is what I buy anyway, but since it originates in Italy then that's where you're more likely to find the best ones

Panettone made in france ..must taste like baguette hahaha ( only kidding ..i have to taste it maybe next year ill pass my holiday in france ...i know well paris , strasbourg ,ive been so often there ..my favorite spot is colmar )..actually i like so much the alsace and lloraine region ..
    this year we have a french xmas markets in my city..
    yes...
    but still we want our monalisa's back :D :D :D

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    Panettone made in france ..must taste like baguette hahaha ( only kidding ..i have to taste it maybe next year ill pass my holiday in france ...i know well paris , strasbourg ,ive been so often there ..my favorite spot is colmar )..actually i like so much the alsace and lloraine region ..
    this year we have a french xmas markets in my city..
    yes...
    but still we want our monalisa's back :D :D :D
    Colmar is awesome for christmas, Strasbourg as well but Colmar feels more like a village stuck in time

SAVO

SAVO

Colmar is awesome for christmas, Strasbourg as well but Colmar feels more like a village stuck in time
    I know.very well strasbourg..i had plans to study there..
    I want to visit the places of the wwi and wwii in northern france..im putting the details of my trip..around one week in northern france.

SAVO

SAVO

I want to visit the places of the wwi and wwii in northern france..im putting the details of my trip..around one week in northern france.

@IsaBells
    Actually its a trip that can be done in couple of hours since there was no much battlets over there hahahah... germans had all the way clear till paris lol

Just joking.. there are lot of things that i like about france ..starting with the fact that they have less mentally challenged people like we have here in italy

Last edited: