How constitutional was the adoption of Taef?

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Taef was adopted by the memebers of the 1972 parliament in 1990. However, the mandate of the parliament should have ended in 1976. Was it extension constitutional? Also, many of the members of the 1972 parliament were dead, was the legal quorom attained when Taef was adopted 9especially that constitutional amendements require approval of 2/3 of the parliament). There may be some other issues I'm aware of, but what I wanted to know is, was the adoption of Taef constitutional? If no, then it may be not hard for M* (if they win the elections) to rescinde it and propose something else.

• Advertisement
  • L'arbalette

L'arbalette

Taef was adopted by the memebers of the 1972 parliament in 1990. However, the mandate of the parliament should have ended in 1976. Was it extension constitutional? Also, many of the members of the 1972 parliament were dead, was the legal quorom attained when Taef was adopted 9especially that constitutional amendements require approval of 2/3 of the parliament). There may be some other issues I'm aware of, but what I wanted to know is, was the adoption of Taef constitutional? If no, then it may be not hard for M* (if they win the elections) to rescinde it and propose something else.
    More important, the Legal Government had dissolved the parliament before the vote on Taef, so technically, all Taef and what followed it is unconstitutional...

And as a side note, how constitutional is the biggest organized theft operation that happened in Lebanon when the parliament "suspended" the inheritance tax after ther Thief in Chief Hariri was killed?

Why does no one talk about this fact-based and documented grand theft?

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    More important, the Legal Government had dissolved the parliament before the vote on Taef, so technically, all Taef and what followed it is unconstitutional...

And as a side note, how constitutional is the biggest organized theft operation that happened in Lebanon when the parliament "suspended" the inheritance tax after ther Thief in Chief Hariri was killed?

Because you will be attacking a particular sect...
    Criminals in Lebanon hide behind their tribe.

My Moria Moon

My Moria Moon

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    The most illegal part of Taef was the fact it was imposed by one dictators invading army and another dictators invading money, and signed under by a bunch of servants to both.

loubnaniTO

loubnaniTO

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Super Penguin
    exactly, and in addition to that, when the presidency seat is vacant, the Parliament's role becomes exclusively limited to electing a President. MPs had no right to go to a foreign country, meet as MPs and discuss a new constitution, and vote on it. That was all unconstitutional. That's why back then GA justified his decision to dissolve Parliament. Everything about it was unconstitutional.

I have raised it several times, but you have several issues here:
    1- he is the SHAHID... just look up the word Martyr in the Webster dictionary and you will see his name, so DON'T YOU DARE CRITICIZE ANYTHING RELATED TO HIM

2- any criticism of Hariri is now akin of criticizing the whole Sunnite sect!!

3- don't blame the MPs, blame the BAJAM who keep re-electing them.

Venom

Venom

Legendary Member
    It was imposed by the Syrian tanks and saudi money.

Both factors are marginalized by the Syrians withdrawing from Lebanon and Hariri senior and junior or out of power.

Libnene Qu7

Libnene Qu7

Super Ultra Senior Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Our constitution was written in a country that doesn't have one. And it so happens to be written in a city called Taef. Ba3d na2isna ta2ifiye.

However I don't think the Taef is a bad piece of literature. The problem with it is that it is not being implemented. Most of it, in fact, isn't being implemented. The "defenders" of the Taef bring up the issue of its relevance whenver it suits them only. If the Taef is implemented at 90%, Joumblat and Hariri would have their wings clipped.

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Thanks! So Taef is unconstitutional. Then if M8 wins, they should consider Taef as being null and void and use the fact that it was unconstutionally adopted.

loubnaniTO

loubnaniTO

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Super Penguin
    Taef was ratified by Parliament in the early 90s, so even if the Taef accord itself was unconstitutional, since it has been ratified by Parliament in Beirut, then it became constitution. What is NOT constitutional is everything that happened AFTER taef... when the EX-MPs (since GA's government dissolved Parliament), met and ILLEGALLY elected Moawad and then Hrawi as Presidents... everything that followed of course became unconstitutional.

But if we want to list everything that is not constitutional in this country, we will need another forum dedicated to this topic!!!