• Hello Guest

Please bear with us! The Orange Room is being restructured.

How's life as a Dabet in the lebanese army?

H-H

Hi everyone,

My brother is applying to the last dawra for dubbat in the lebanese army (dabet idari maybe?). Anyways, he has an economics degree and he has no idea how's life's gona be there. We heard all about the perks: nadi al-dubbat, taqa3od, help in educating his children, banzin... But is it the whole picture? How's life and job there? does it really provide job security? does it take away a lot of freedom? Any tidbit of information would be helpful.

Thank you!!

• Advertisement
  • freelebanonn

Legendary Member
    Hi everyone,

My brother is applying to the last dawra for dubbat in the lebanese army (dabet idari maybe?). Anyways, he has an economics degree and he has no idea how's life's gona be there. We heard all about the perks: nadi al-dubbat, taqa3od, help in educating his children, banzin... But is it the whole picture? How's life and job there? does it really provide job security? does it take away a lot of freedom? Any tidbit of information would be helpful.

Thank you!!
    i was planning in applying also but i withdrew at the last second. well the salary is very low ( around 1100 $ as a start and increases around 30 $ every 2 years if i am not mistaken) and you dont start to feel the real benefits of the job until you become a general ( your salary would have became high adding to it lots of benefits and personal driver to you and to your wife etc) and after retirement ( you get 200k to 300k in cash + a retirement salary). the positive things are:

- you finish work at 2 wmafiya bahdaleh cause being a dabit idara means you will be sitting in an office with a computer and not on the streets aw 3a hajiz.
    -20 tankit benzin every month
    - they pay all your children education ( or half of it not sure)
    - free hospitalization
    - special rates for housing loans.

hundreds probably applied. there is an IQ test , medical test , fitness test, written test and finally an interview with a set of juries. most of the applicants get eliminated at the 1st stages. the remainings will have the privilege to reach the written test and the interview. here were " al wasta" will play a major role. if you dont have a huge one, your brother wont stand a chance.

Dalzi

Legendary Member
    Not bad as long as you are aware of the fact that being in the army means you have to be ready to die when you're called to duty. In addition, there's hierarchy which is not for everyone. If you can't be below someone else then the job isn't yours. Many can't do it coz they don't have the patience to take orders. I'd say a military job is the toughest job out there.

kalel

Orange Room Supporter
    Hi everyone,

Thank you!!
    Not worth it.
    My father retired in summer after 35 years. His generation enjoyed more privileges than the recent/upcoming generation of officers.
    If he can go back in time he would have chosen another path. The nature of the job is too binding and on an individual scope, too much talent could be wasted.

my 0.02$

HannaTheCrusader

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    If you are a decent Dabet , you won't make momey

if you are like the majority , with teshweeh wa wa wa , you will make a good life
    a gift from there and a gift form here and you will have good life

most people join the army for the job security and economic stability it provides. and the prestige As well , as a dabet you can practically do anything you want on lebanon and get away with breaking most laws

when I finished my degree , I was offered a spot as a dabet moukhabarat , with having a sediment star in six months after joining. I declined and dont regret it

officers have clout in Lebanon and to get in, you need a major push , and your grades and tests won't make any difference anymore. Many who failed are getting in and others with good grades are rejected

Rememer our army produces many more of Michel Sleiman and kahwaji than Michel Aoun,,,,,,,,let's not even mention the darak and the rifis there :)

And where on on earth one will retire after 25 years abs gets a golden handshake of 300 k and a house and full salary with benefits, but the lebanese army

Join the army dude , it's a Good job .....Akel, shareb, nayem, n.....k.

HannaTheCrusader

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    If you want to join the army for patriotic reasons,,,,,,,you will suffer
    if for Relative job security , especially if you choose to stay in Lebanon. , than be a dabet, it beats all the other jobs in Lebanon
    if you are ready to play politics , you will make a small fortune :).

Bandar

Orange Room Supporter
    everything i'm about to say is my own opinion, and i'm not trying to upset anyone.

with an economics degree, your brother can go to the UAE and make more than double what he would make in the army in the long run, and be able to buy all those benefits easily with his own money. being in the private sector also means that his talent and potential can be fully realized, since companies largely want to hire (and promote) people with the most talent, whereas in Lebanon in the army your future prospects are very dependent on wasta as opposed to skill and talent.

that said, there is a decent career to be made from the army, if you are willing to:

1) ignore and not get mad when a spoiled untalented brat gets promoted above you for no reason
    2) abuse bureaucratic functions
    3) be a yes-man and ingratiate yourself to whichever party is 'holding' the specific sector you are working in

Nayla

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Hi everyone,

Thank you!!
    Officers and soldiers don't have a stable life and they don't spend much time with their families. If your brother is patriotic and he loves Lebanon and wants to serve his country, it would be fine.
    But if he's applying because he considers it as a "job", so let him stop immediately. We have enough "mwazzafin" in the army that only needs "MEN"..

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
    Officers and soldiers don't have a stable life and they don't spend much time with their families. If your brother is patriotic and he loves Lebanon and wants to serve his country, it would be fine.
    But if he's applying because he considers it as a "job", so let him stop immediately. We have enough "mwazzafin" in the army that only needs "MEN"..
    All the respect due to the army and its men and women goes without saying (are there women in the army in Lebanon?), but do not underestimate the hardship many go through to make an honest living for them and their families. A taxi driver for example is no less patriotic by default than a soldier, and doesnt spend much time with his or her family and doesnt have a stable life. An executive leading a company or a small business doesnt spend much time with his/her family and doesnt lead a stable life, and is also no less patriotic than a soldier, and the list of examples goes on... And both are no lesser men or women than any soldier. (this is assuming you can define "a stable life" :)

Nayla

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    All the respect due to the army and its men and women goes without saying (are there women in the army in Lebanon?), but do not underestimate the hardship many go through to make an honest living for them and their families. A taxi driver for example is no less patriotic by default than a soldier, and doesnt spend much time with his or her family and doesnt have a stable life. An executive leading a company or a small business doesnt spend much time with his/her family and doesnt lead a stable life, and is also no less patriotic than a soldier, and the list of examples goes on... And both are no lesser men or women than any soldier. (this is assuming you can define "a stable life" :)
    what's your point exactly?
    enno shou khass what you're saying bi what I have already said about the officer's life? :)

Tsunami27

It sucks. You will be well trained, physically and mentally, yet lacking the decision power of war and peace in the country. You can be owning a checkpoint but obliged to turn a blind eye to all hezbolla cars with no plates and carrying weapons.

It used to suck more before. Ken yeje se3denen in a yellow peugeot yrak3o thakana kemle...