Parliamentary elections 2018 If you could ask one thing of the new parliament what would it be?

mrsrx

mrsrx

Newish Member
Orange Room Supporter
Lets say we will have a functioning parliament and you could ask one thing that will surely happen as you state.

what do you think the priorities are for Lebanon to make a leap or to ease the economic burden or clean up the chaos...?

• Advertisement
  • Lebnaouneh

Lebnaouneh

Freeing the judicial system from political power by making it an independent body
    Decentralization

LiNk

LiNk

Orange Room Supporter
    Building a trustworthy and functioning capital market.

This would enable Lebanese ingenuity and entrepreneurial drive to flourish and private markets to take the lead in finding solutions to most of the problems we face. Counting on the state to do everything is unrealistic and a sub-optimal solution.

Lebnaouneh

Lebnaouneh

Building a trustworthy and functioning capital market.

This would enable Lebanese ingenuity and entrepreneurial drive to flourish and private markets to take the lead in finding solutions to most of the problems we face. Counting on the state to do everything is unrealistic and a sub-optimal solution.
    You need the appropriate framework for the to happen, ergo what I wrote above :p

mrsrx

mrsrx

Newish Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I Agree with @Lebnaouneh many investors are scared to put 1cent in lebanon as we are way too high on the corruption index. They feel like any money invested in lebanon is in jeapordy even though the opportunity exist.

Many think a "za3im" or political swing can put you under the lens and target you in order to rip you off and you cannot do anything about it. Most avoid unless they have strong ties in lebanon. If you have a good judicial system that is impartial and can protect you this might change.

LiNk

LiNk

Orange Room Supporter
    You need the appropriate framework for the to happen, ergo what I wrote above :p
    I hadn't seen it, seems we posted at the same time :)

A strong and independent judicial system is key for establishing trust in capital markets. So is a sufficient regulatory base, an empowered IPA, and a proper telecommunications network to name a few. But solutions for almost everything else - civil infrastructure, waste management, energy etc. - can come through private markets or through public private partnerships. We have the grey matter to do it!

D

Death To Google

Civil marriage and personal status laws is the best legacy the "3ahed" could leave behind.
    It is time to stop forcing people to depend on religious legal institutions instead of civil ones.
    What we have now is no less than a form of oppression and forced identity.

SeaAb

SeaAb

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Super Penguin
    Ban all religions and legalize cannabis. :cigar:

Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    the fastest, if not the only, game changer will be the following:

a law that enables and facilitates the firing of the incompetent employees in all sectors, including the parliament. people who do not produce and contribute to an effective and positive change should not be employed by the state. this will increase the efficiency of governance, and will produce incredible results in no time.

Nasser

Nasser

Staff member
    There are many 'basic' things that the parliament should do as soon as possible like:

1. Optional civil marriage.
    2. Legalizing and regulating the weed industry.
    3. Terminating the salaries flowing to the ex-MPs.
    4. Mandatory attendance for the members of Parliament for the sessions. Boycotting and paralyzing the Parliament should be punishable. Any MP who repeatedly miss the Parliament sessions with no acceptable excuse should have his mandate as an MP terminated.
    5. Figuring out a framework to reverse all the illegal employment of people in the state's institutions(hired by wasta), and naturally fire unqualified persons.
    6. Prohibiting an MP from becoming a Minister. These 2 jobs are opposites. A MP's job is legislation and monitoring the government's work, how can he be a Minister AND an MP and do his job? it is like having the same company as the contractor and consultant of a project.
    7. Approving a law for corruption investigation for all the era from 1990 til today. No immunity should be provided for anyone found guilty of corruption cases.
    8. Determining a transportation plan for the congested areas.
    9. Applying Qanoun El Sér ... too many 7ayewenet 3al tari2. (Probably thats the job of the interior ministry, but had to put this XD)
    10. Solution for the illegal use of public properties (beaches, illegal constructions)

the list goes on and on XD

Edit: have to put 1 more

11. Any MP closing the roads for hours so his convoy passes should be put in a public place wel 3alam should yfantro 3le... his time is not more valuable than ours.

Muki

Muki

Orange Room Supporter
    I Agree with @Lebnaouneh many investors are scared to put 1cent in lebanon as we are way too high on the corruption index. They feel like any money invested in lebanon is in jeapordy even though the opportunity exist.

Many think a "za3im" or political swing can put you under the lens and target you in order to rip you off and you cannot do anything about it. Most avoid unless they have strong ties in lebanon. If you have a good judicial system that is impartial and can protect you this might change.
    They don't "think", they know.

Tsunami27

Tsunami27

Quick wins:
    1) Stop the essential sources of leakage in the state budget
    2) Civil marriage and personal status laws
    3) Waste management
    4) Incentives to the private sector investors

Medium Term:
    1) Transportation
    2) Infrastrcuture
    3) Renewable and clean energy
    4) Re-structure and stengthen the lebanese army

Long Term:
    1) De-centralization
    2) Diversify economy from tourism
    3) Modernize and update the constitution
    4) Solve the issue of weapons outside the context of the state

lebnan_lilkel

lebnan_lilkel

Orange Room Supporter

We are being told that anyone who notices corruption to report it. Apparantely no one is reporting. Fawzi hobeish was the head of التفتيش المركزي for 20 years ..his brother was a highschool teacher then suddenly a major tycoon. No business behind him. Nothing. Can't even count money. Must be weighing it.
    I just transferred an appartment I bought as an investment. Last week. Everything ligitimate. 2000 $ in bribes and agent fees and 2000 $ government fees with receipts. Apparently most involved are around 25 year so old. Ye3ni new generation thieves.
    It's time people grow up and get rid of kelloun. Ye3ni kelloun.
    The only reason I can write it here is no one is sure who I am. I wouldn't mention names to anyone otherwise I would be in my aunty s house.

R

Randomiser

Real representatives of the people instead of the current trash.