Immigrating to Canada

Discussion in 'Classified, Jobs, Education & Business' started by Impera, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Impera

Impera Active Member

56%
    So my friend is hellbent to immigrate, taking his parents with him. He has relatives in Canada who hold the Canadian citizenship since a very long time.

I'm trying to dissuade him but to avail. Anyway, is it still easy to immigrate when having kin there and how long do the paperwork take?

2. Danny Z

Danny Z Legendary Member

100%
    tell him to walk across the border from the US in the fields, it is easier

3. Indie

Indie Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

48%
    I don't know how easy or difficult it is to emigrate to Canada from Lebanon, but tell your friend to come for a visit first. Between late January / February. If he can handle that level of cold + super long winters, he might make it without wanting to blow his brains out.

Also, show him this...

• Like Like x 2
  4. Muki

Muki Well-Known Member
    Orange Room Supporter

1%
  5. Impera

Impera Active Member

56%
    I need information based on personal experience.

6. Indie

Indie Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

48%
    It is probably much more difficult to emigrate, now, than it was decades ago.

Plus, your friend wants to take his parents with him. First, they might not be able to emigrate all together (even if he managed to move here himself), which would keep them apart, maybe for years. Second, the older people are when they move here, the more difficult the transition. The lifestyle is completely different. While he'll be busy with work and all, his parents will have to deal with relative isolation, and missing a lifestyle they kept their whole lives.

Also, people think money grows on trees in the West. It really is not the case. If you are poor in Lebanon, you could improve your lot by moving to the West; however, it takes decades of hard work and sacrifices in difficult conditions. If you are middle class or higher in Lebanon, you probably lead a much more enjoyable life there than you would in North America.

The West does offer certain advantages, but your friend should know that those advantages will come at a price; he will have to give up on very important things he has in Lebanon and that he takes for granted.

Some people are ok with that switch. All they care about is to achieve the fake and useless American dream, even if it means giving up on more fundamental values.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Muki

Muki Well-Known Member
    Orange Room Supporter

1%
    From my personal experience, everybody's personal experience in immigration process is different. Link I provided has good, objective information that you can use to compare against what others may tell you from their personal experiences, so that your expectations are reasonable.

I haven't gone through process myself, so I can't give you details that you're looking for. Also, not Canadian so I do not know their process at all. @kmarthe @loubnaniTO @DLT @Mighty Goat may be able to help you with immigration process to Canada.

@Indie, you forgot to tell him about all the white walkers in the Great White North too, what the hell! :).

8. Impera

Impera Active Member

56%
    You don't need to worry about that. The dude is pale af and lives in Hasroun (1500m elevation). They will not harm him.

Although I hear he's scared of Bigfoot :p

• Like Like x 1
  9. Indie

Indie Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

48%
    @Sicarii , don't you think I scared him enough as is? :p

10. joe tayyar

joe tayyar Well-Known Member
    Orange Room Supporter

76%
    Tell him to apply as a syrian refugee or go to the embassy with a mikenseh beard, byekhdoo lahet !

• Like Like x 1
  11. kmarthe

kmarthe Legendary Member
    Staff Member

100%
    Oh! I can't help much here cos it was a long time ago since I went through the process. Big advice though, no one should immigrate to Canada before securing a job cos finding one after leaving everything in Lebanon might be very very hard in some cases.

12. Mighty Goat

Mighty Goat Member
    Orange Room Supporter

61%
    I am back in Zion. Miss you Fa7ouli.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Muki

Muki Well-Known Member
    Orange Room Supporter

1%
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. My Moria Moon

My Moria Moon Well-Known Member

71%
    How the heck did they get their cellphone working at - 41 degrees (was it an Iphone?)

15. Indie

Indie Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

48%
    How do I know? When it's that cold I don't dare use my cell phone outside because it feels like your fingers will fall off.

16. Indie

Indie Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

48%
    One explanation is that the -41 is the temperature felt with windchill, while the actual temperature might be higher...between -30 and -20...but still :p

17. My Moria Moon

My Moria Moon Well-Known Member

71%
    When it's that cold, to hell with the world, I declare my own state of emergency and would refuse to set foot outside my doorstep.

18. gramsci

gramsci Well-Known Member

51%
    Tell them to emigrate to north korea lol

19. Indie

Indie Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

48%
    That's pretty much what I do :p But it's not very practical...so finally this year I got snow pants lol

20. joseph_lubnan

joseph_lubnan Legendary Member

100%
    They are having fun and they are happy. Canada is great.