• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Iran on the rise: Militarily, Technologically and Strategically. Did 40 years of US sanctions hurt or help?

V

Viral

Time to wake up?

On 5 December 2011, an American Lockheed Martin RQ-170 Sentinel unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) was captured by Iranian forces near the city of Kashmar in northeastern Iran. The Iranian government announced that the UAV was brought down by its cyberwarfare unit which commandeered the aircraft and safely landed it, after initial reports from Western news sources disputedly claimed that it had been "shot down".[1] The United States government initially denied the claims but later President Obama acknowledged that the downed aircraft was a US drone.[2][3] Iran filed a complaint to the UN over the airspace violation. Obama asked Iran to return the drone. Iran is said to have produced drones based on the captured RQ-170.

On June 20, 2019, Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps's (IRGC) shot down a United States RQ-4A Global Hawk BAMS-D surveillance drone[2][3][4] with a surface-to-air missile over the Strait of Hormuz.[5][6][7][8][9] Iranian officials said that the drone violated their airspace, while U.S. officials responded that the drone was in international airspace.[10][11][12]
The incident occurred amid rising tensions between the two countries and nearly resulted in an armed confrontation. U.S. President Donald Trump ordered a military strike against IRGC radar and missile sites before reversing the decision.
Instead, the U.S. retaliated with cyber attacks on the IRGC's missile-control systems (which Iran said were firewalled), announced new sanctions against several important Iranians, and requested a closed-door U.N. Security Council meeting to address the regional tensions.

Iran unveils missile system ‘rivaling’ Russia’s S-300 and US-made Patriot (VIDEO)

Published time: 22 Aug, 2019
1566526082198.png

Tehran says its new domestically made Bavar 373 mobile air defense missile system is equivalent to Russia’s iconic S-300 and can successfully compete with US Patriot missiles.
The weapon can intercept and destroy targets at altitudes of up to 27km and has a range of 200km, Iranian media reported. It’s apparently capable of neutralizing both aircraft and drones, as well as high-speed ballistic missiles.
Deputy Defense Minister Brigadier General Hojjatollah Ghoreishi said the Bavar is a “rival” to the S-300, while other reports claim it can successfully compete against the US-made MIM-104 Patriot.
Iran began work on the system in 2010, following sanctions over its nuclear program. Brigadier General Qasem Taqizadeh stated that the weapon system was completely domestically-produced.
Iran has in recent years worked on building its own weapons and become less dependent on foreign suppliers. In June, it unveiled the Khordad 15 indigenous air defense missile system, capable of tracking and shooting down six targets at the same time. Equipped with long-range Sayyad 3 missiles, it’s said to be able to shoot down enemy jets and combat drones at a range of 120km.

• Advertisement
  • Cedrus Libani

Cedrus Libani

Iran would be much better off engaging with the West. Stop the impulsive antagonism and the manufactured ideological wars. The Iranian populace, in spite of their leaderships incessant and laughable tirades, are still widely pro-Western and do not give a fig about the so-called Palestinian cause.

True Palestinian

True Palestinian

Well the sanctions certainly didn't help Iran, but again Americans have this monodimensional way of dealing with problems, they either throw money or impose sanctions. And most importantly, they do not learn, sanctions did not bring North Korea, Cuba or Venezuela to their knees, sanctions are overrated. The Islamic regime owes its longevity to American stupidity.

You gotta hand it to the Iranians though, they've managed to carve an empire with very primitive means. These guys are born imperialists. Much like the Americans though, Iranians also have a monodimensional way of settling things, their standard approach is imperialism and warmongering. The Shah was no different, he also had grandiose imperial designs.

I'm actually quite happy that Iran is an Islamic state ruled by mullahs, imagine how much damage this country could do if it weren't ruled by a clique of superstitious loons.

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

Legendary Member
    Well the sanctions certainly didn't help Iran, but again Americans have this monodimensional way of dealing with problems, they either throw money or impose sanctions. And most importantly, they do not learn, sanctions did not bring North Korea, Cuba or Venezuela to their knees, sanctions are overrated. The Islamic regime owes its longevity to American stupidity.

You gotta hand it to the Iranians though, they've managed to carve an empire with very primitive means. These guys are born imperialists. Much like the Americans though, Iranians also have a monodimensional way of settling things, their standard approach is imperialism and warmongering. The Shah was no different, he also had grandiose imperial designs.

I'm actually quite happy that Iran is an Islamic state ruled by mullahs, imagine how much damage this country could do if it weren't ruled by a clique of superstitious loons.
    "Americans have this monodimensional way of dealing with problems, they either throw money or impose sanctions" - we are 3-dimensional, we throw money, we impose sanctions and we kick ass.

V

Viral

I know you don't want to hear it but it sure seems the Iranians still have the Persian pride in them to rise above the tides that threaten to destroy them. As much as they dislike each other, could it be that the Jews and Shiites have something deep in common which is resilience against persecution? After all that’s how Hezbollah came to live and prevailed when everyone else in Lebanon waned and followed.

True Palestinian

True Palestinian

"Americans have this monodimensional way of dealing with problems, they either throw money or impose sanctions" - we are 3-dimensional, we throw money, we impose sanctions and we kick ass.
    I disagree. Most Americans I've seen as of late are busy repeating paleocon and /pol/ slogans whenever Iran acts aggressively, the "no more wars" rhetoric is widespread and I'd be willing to bet this is why Trump refused to retaliate. This goes hand in hand with the rise of antisemitism in the USA, hatred of the Jews and Israel is basically bipartisan at this stage, every time Iran is engaged in a blinking contest with the USA, America blinks and Americans hysterically scream "nO mOaR wArz FoR IzRuHl" (this is already pushing Israel away from America, and the more these attitudes spread, the more anti-American Israel will become).

I know you don't want to hear it but it sure seems the Iranians still have the Persian pride in them to rise above the tides that threaten to destroy them. As much as they dislike each other, could it be that the Jews and Shiites have something deep in common which is resilience against persecution? After all that’s how Hezbollah came to live and prevailed when everyone else in Lebanon waned and followed.
    I'm not sure this is entirely due to pride. It is a factor, but what is more relevant in my eyes is that there has been no period of Iranian history where Iran was not an empire. The Iranians are an imperialist people, empire-building is part of their way of life, they know nothing else. Ironically, the system they have right now is probably the closest they'll come to ever being a democracy.

Jews are different, they never had an empire of their own. The natural cycle of that nation was interrupted when the Romans uprooted them from their land and threw them into a ~1,800 year exile. Their life went from being centered around the temple to one where their culture was mobile. Now that they've re-established their sovereignty, the natural cycle is continuing. If I were Iranian, I would find this terrifying, because what this really means is that the Jews are probably going to reach the imperial stage which they "missed" because of the Romans. What is even more aggravating is that there are striking parallels between the current situation and different periods of Iranian history, namely the Greco-Persian wars and the Sassanid campaigns in Southern Arabia (which should give you an idea of how well Iran will fare in the conflicts it has started).

They real reason why both are fighting is because the Fertile Crescent isn't large enough for two regional powers. Every other explanation is but a cheap talking point. Whoever wins will absorb the vanquished's qualities, and the way things are looking, it's likely Israel will learn the art of empire-building on Iran's ashes.

Last edited:
    proIsrael-nonIsraeli

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

Legendary Member
    I disagree. Most Americans I've seen as of late are busy repeating paleocon and /pol/ slogans whenever Iran acts aggressively, the "no more wars" rhetoric is widespread and I'd be willing to bet this is why Trump refused to retaliate. This goes hand in hand with the rise of antisemitism in the USA, hatred of the Jews and Israel is basically bipartisan at this stage, every time Iran is engaged in a blinking contest with the USA, America blinks and Americans hysterically scream "nO mOaR wArz FoR IzRuHl" (this is already pushing Israel away from America, and the more these attitudes spread, the more anti-American Israel will become).
    First, "nO mOaR wArz FoR IzRuHl": there were, are and always will be people saying this despite the fact that USA has never fought on behalf of Israel.
    Neither you nor I can help this - anti-semites will always exist and the best way for Jews to get every overt and covert anti-semite is to ensure Israel's continued success.

Second, Iran and war: to my opinion war is to be avoided as long as possible and especially with Iran.
    Why especially with Iran?
    Because Israel and Iran are natural allies in this sea of hostile Arabs and there is no need to antagonize them for much longer than necessary.
    Ayatollahs will be gone sooner or later and it is much more beneficial for all of us, US and Israel, to have Ayatollahs gone via internal revolt.
    It will keep or hands clean and it will give us better opportunity to shape public opinion in our favor afterwards.

We should be patient and instead we should let sanctions and Nature take its course.

True Palestinian

True Palestinian

First, "nO mOaR wArz FoR IzRuHl": there were, are and always will be people saying this despite the fact that USA has never fought on behalf of Israel.
    Neither you nor I can help this - anti-semites will always exist and the best way for Jews to get every overt and covert anti-semite is to ensure Israel's continued success.

Second, Iran and war: to my opinion war is to be avoided as long as possible and especially with Iran.
    Why especially with Iran?
    Because Israel and Iran are natural allies in this sea of hostile Arabs and there is no need to antagonize them for much longer than necessary.
    Ayatollahs will be gone sooner or later and it is much more beneficial for all of us, US and Israel, to have Ayatollahs gone via internal revolt.
    It will keep or hands clean and it will give us better opportunity to shape public opinion in our favor afterwards.

We should be patient and instead we should let sanctions and Nature take its course.
    It's not just a matter of antisemites existing or not, Americans are increasingly dissociating themselves from Israel. These attitudes will inevitably filter to the White House, Israel already views the USA as an unreliable country.

I mean no offense, but your view of Iran is naive at best. Iran and the Jews might've been "natural allies" 1,500 ago when the Persians were using Jews and Samaritans as pawns in their continued conflict with the Roman and Byzantine empires, but that time is long gone. And Israel will never trust a country that went from being passive-aggressive to completely hostile overnight. Israel probably has more in common with the UAE than with Iran at this stage.

Don't be fooled by the hipsters from Tehran and the expats who loudly proclaim their love of Israel on Twitter, most Iranians are not like that. Just because they don't like the current regime doesn't mean they like Israel all of a sudden, far from it... Most Iranians are firmly hostile to Israel, and they are quite confident in their ability to destroy Israel. The Iranians are warmongers, almost every aggressive act against Israel these past 30 years was instigated by Iran. These guys have been screaming "marg bar Israil" every friday for 40 years, no one forces them to, they do this from their own volition. Moreover, they are vying for regional hegemony, and Israel is the only country that prevents them from reaching their goal. Their inflated sense of confidence is a good thing, they will be completely astounded to discover that fighting Israel is not like fighting Saddam Hussein's Iraq. Even if the regime fell, Iran would remain a hostile country.

Again, sanctions are overrated, and Iranians are a deeply spiritual and emotional people. Forcing them into misery will not break their spirit, like I said they've proven themselves quite skilled at expanding their borders with the most primitive of means.

So relax. Iran has yet to learn a very painful lesson. While the future conflict Iran will inevitably start against Israel might result in dozens of thousands of Israeli casualties, it will result in ~4.5 million Iranian dead (low bound estimate), something they can ill-afford considering their low birth rates.

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

Legendary Member
    It's not just a matter of antisemites existing or not, Americans are increasingly dissociating themselves from Israel. These attitudes will inevitably filter to the White House, Israel already views the USA as an unreliable country.

I mean no offense, but your view of Iran is naive at best. Iran and the Jews might've been "natural allies" 1,500 ago when the Persians were using Jews and Samaritans as pawns in their continued conflict with the Roman and Byzantine empires, but that time is long gone. And Israel will never trust a country that went from being passive-aggressive to completely hostile overnight. Israel probably has more in common with the UAE than with Iran at this stage.

Don't be fooled by the hipsters from Tehran and the expats who loudly proclaim their love of Israel on Twitter, most Iranians are not like that. Just because they don't like the current regime doesn't mean they like Israel all of a sudden, far from it... Most Iranians are firmly hostile to Israel, and they are quite confident in their ability to destroy Israel. The Iranians are warmongers, almost every aggressive act against Israel these past 30 years was instigated by Iran. These guys have been screaming "marg bar Israil" every friday for 40 years, no one forces them to, they do this from their own volition. Moreover, they are vying for regional hegemony, and Israel is the only country that prevents them from reaching their goal. Their inflated sense of confidence is a good thing, they will be completely astounded to discover that fighting Israel is not like fighting Saddam Hussein's Iraq. Even if the regime fell, Iran would remain a hostile country.

Again, sanctions are overrated, and Iranians are a deeply spiritual and emotional people. Forcing them into misery will not break their spirit, like I said they've proven themselves quite skilled at expanding their borders with the most primitive of means.

So relax. Iran has yet to learn a very painful lesson. While the future conflict Iran will inevitably start against Israel might result in dozens of thousands of Israeli casualties, it will result in ~4.5 million Iranian dead (low bound estimate), something they can ill-afford considering their low birth rates.
    I feel I do not have enough data to respond to your post.
    So, still hoping that war with Iran can be avoided I suggest we wait and see.

N

Nimaa

I feel I do not have enough data to respond to your post.
    So, still hoping that war with Iran can be avoided I suggest we wait and see.
    You don't know anything, ever. Saying you don't have enough data regarding his post is the first step towards accepting the truth about yourself. Everything you say always turns out to be incorrect in the most embarassing ways.

V

Viral

I'm not sure this is entirely due to pride. It is a factor, but what is more relevant in my eyes is that there has been no period of Iranian history where Iran was not an empire. The Iranians are an imperialist people, empire-building is part of their way of life, they know nothing else. Ironically, the system they have right now is probably the closest they'll come to ever being a democracy.

Jews are different, they never had an empire of their own. The natural cycle of that nation was interrupted when the Romans uprooted them from their land and threw them into a ~1,800 year exile. Their life went from being centered around the temple to one where their culture was mobile. Now that they've re-established their sovereignty, the natural cycle is continuing. If I were Iranian, I would find this terrifying, because what this really means is that the Jews are probably going to reach the imperial stage which they "missed" because of the Romans. What is even more aggravating is that there are striking parallels between the current situation and different periods of Iranian history, namely the Greco-Persian wars and the Sassanid campaigns in Southern Arabia (which should give you an idea of how well Iran will fare in the conflicts it has started).

They real reason why both are fighting is because the Fertile Crescent isn't large enough for two regional powers. Every other explanation is but a cheap talking point. Whoever wins will absorb the vanquished's qualities, and the way things are looking, it's likely Israel will learn the art of empire-building on Iran's ashes.
    Set aside your wishful thinking and mine, not that I care to help those who are the enemies of their own cause, Iran is here to stay. Too late to turn it into Iraq 2003 or Libya 2014.
    Obama was the first one to realize the American public is no longer in a mood to bomb Syria let alone Iran. Trump discovered that same reality the very hard way few weeks ago when he realized he got more than he bargained for from Iran. It was so embarrassing to see and hear him give excuses for Iran suggesting it shot the US drone by mistake while Iran was saying they know exactly what they did which also exposes the staged and useless previous explosions on the oil tankers that Iran confirmed they don’t play those childish games.
    Now that Iran is openly enriching its Uranium without specifying limits, even if they renegotiate with the EU, there is no full proof they are not proceeding with the nuclear bomb and, in my opinion, as crazy as it sounds, the earlier they acquire it the better. They also have the means to deliver it... Power balance is the best way to create sustainable stability in the region. At which time, Iran and Israel will find ways to coexist like India and Pakistan. Their relationships will evolve into a cold war style at the beginning like the US and the USSR, and the Arab countries will be forced to chose being ruled by one master or another especially when KSA gets fully defrauded. This setup might be Israel’s second best choice but it becomes less important strategically to the US with Iran’s cheaper competition; Shah style with a some dignity... And, overtime, both Israel and Iran may become independent from the US and forge their own alliances to split and rule their region without chaperons. The Arabs remain Arabs…

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

Legendary Member
    Set aside your wishful thinking and mine, not that I care to help those who are the enemies of their own cause, Iran is here to stay. Too late to turn it into Iraq 2003 or Libya 2014.
    Obama was the first one to realize the American public is no longer in a mood to bomb Syria let alone Iran. Trump discovered that same reality the very hard way few weeks ago when he realized he got more than he bargained for from Iran. It was so embarrassing to see and hear him give excuses for Iran suggesting it shot the US drone by mistake while Iran was saying they know exactly what they did which also exposes the staged and useless previous explosions on the oil tankers that Iran confirmed they don’t play those childish games.
    Now that Iran is openly enriching its Uranium without specifying limits, even if they renegotiate with the EU, there is no full proof they are not proceeding with the nuclear bomb and, in my opinion, as crazy as it sounds, the earlier they acquire it the better. They also have the means to deliver it... Power balance is the best way to create sustainable stability in the region. At which time, Iran and Israel will find ways to coexist like India and Pakistan. Their relationships will evolve into a cold war style at the beginning like the US and the USSR, and the Arab countries will be forced to chose being ruled by one master or another especially when KSA gets fully defrauded. This setup might be Israel’s second best choice but it becomes less important strategically to the US with Iran’s cheaper competition; Shah style with a some dignity... And, overtime, both Israel and Iran may become independent from the US and forge their own alliances to split and rule their region without chaperons. The Arabs remain Arabs…
    "Iran is here to stay" - That I agree, but Mullahs will go.

V

Viral

Ex-Mossad chief: Don't attack Iran now, Ahmadinejad IS rational...
    That was 7 years ago. What changed now? Is Iran in a worse or better situation today to defend itself and create an imaginable chaos in the Gulf states and a devastating global economy unless the US and Israel are ready to bear the consequences to start a nuclear war that might not even be contained within the Middle East itself...

Learning from previous deadly mistake...

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

Legendary Member
    Ex-Mossad chief: Don't attack Iran now, Ahmadinejad IS rational...
    That was 7 years ago. What changed now? Is Iran in a worse or better situation today to defend itself and create an imaginable chaos in the Gulf states and a devastating global economy unless the US and Israel are ready to bear the consequences to start a nuclear war that might not even be contained within the Middle East itself...

Learning from previous deadly mistake...

"Don't attack Iran now" - no need to attack Iran, period.

True Palestinian

True Palestinian

Iran might well be here to stay. That being said, what I just told you isn't an elaborate fantasy. Iran has a very long history, and a lot of experience at establishing massive empires. So there's a lot to pick from. Like I said, there are striking parallels with earlier periods of Iranian history. Let's take the Greco-Persian wars for example...

Then: Armed with a new ideology of cultural tolerance and economic laissez-faire, the Achaemenids replaced the last great Mesopotamian empire, the Babylonian empire, which relied on a system of psychological warfare, deportations of rebellious populations & resettlement in conquered areas. This approach saw the adoption within the Persian administration of the de facto majority language, Aramaic, and its standardisation into Imperial Aramaic. It also prevented revolts from brewing too often (though it did happen, most notably in Egypt and even in Judea sporadically), giving the Achaemenid kings all the time to plan their expansion. With the conquest of Lydia, the Persians annexed several Greek city states along the coast of Anatolia. The Achaemenids began to turn their gaze towards Greece. Greeks were constantly divided, quarreling and warring among themselves. While they shared a common language, religion and culture, some of the city states were as different from each other as North and South Korea are nowadays and just as eager to annihilate each other. What the Greeks lacked in unity, numbers and power, they made up for in military prowess and adaptability.

Now: Armed with a renewed sense of Islamic pride and a revolution of its own, the mullahs finally overcame the last bastion of pan-Arabism, Saddam Hussein's Iraq, which relied on aggressive arabisation campaigns which often approached the scale of genocide. This approach saw the silent and creeping spread of the Islamic revolution throughout the traditionally Shi'ite areas of the Middle East and Central Asia, the sense of Shi'ite destitution greatly fueled this. Rapidly building an empire with primitive means and in the face of international adversity, Iran swiftly snatched 4 Arab capitals (Baghdad, Beirut, Damascus & San3a). The network of militias it established enabled the mullahs to claim plausible deniability and put intense pressure on its enemies. After the 90s, "Death to Israel" was transformed from mere lip service into one of the pillars of its foreign policy. Scoring successes in Lebanon with a cell of the IRGC established in the 80s, Iran quickly decided to envelop Israel by providing direct military assistance to the Palestinian jihadists. Iran promises to destroy Israel. Israel is a divided society, an unstable democracy traversed by extremely sharp political divides, this has often veered into violence (such as with the Altalena incident or the assassination of Rabin). In certain aspects, the ideological gap between the Israeli left and right is larger than that of most Arabs and Israelis. What the Israelis lack in unity, numbers and manpower, they make up for in the acquisition of a distinct qualitative military edge and the application of novel tactics.

Aggravating circumstances: The Ancient Greeks were arguably one of the smartest peoples to have ever walked the earth, Francis Galton estimated the mean Ancient Athenian IQ to be in the ~125 point range. Likewise, Jews are also one of the smartest peoples to have ever walked the earth, the mean Ashkenazi Jewish IQ is in the ~115 point range. From a genetic standpoint, the Ancient Greeks were an Eastern Mediterranean population, closely resembling most Jews - who according to one of the foremost experts on population genetics - resemble "a bunch of Greek 3rd cousins". Both are chauvinistic and take great pride in their own peculiar cultures.

^^Do you understand now? I could do the same for the Sassanid involvement in Southern Arabia btw. The bulk of history really isn't on Iran's side here I'm afraid.

Last edited:
    V

Viral

Didn't know Iran had a Space program after 40 years of isolation. Wondering how far ahead Saudi Arabia is in space:cigar:
    US slaps sanctions on Iran’s space program, alleging it’s a ‘cover’ for work on ballistic missiles
    Published time: 3 Sep, 2019
    Get short URL
    US slaps sanctions on Iran’s space program, alleging it’s a ‘cover’ for work on ballistic missiles

(L) © Reuters

V

Viral

The sanctions are working damn well...:cigar:It looks...

Iran announces new scaling back of nuclear deal commitments
    Published time: 4 Sep, 2019
    Get short URL
    Iran announces new scaling back of nuclear deal commitments

Tehran has announced a decision to further scale down its commitments to the 2015 nuclear deal. The move comes just as the US ramped up sanctions against Iran and is seen as a response to the EU’s inability to counter Washington.
    The new scaling down of the commitments to the agreement, officially known as the JCPOA, is the third one Iran has made this year. More details of the move are expected to be announced later this week.
    “We will take all necessary steps to protect the Iranian nation's rights and interests ... Our third step involves the development of centrifuges. We will take this step on Friday,” Rouhani said in a televised speech on Wednesday.
    Tehran has been threatening to take the third step by September 6 if the EU fails to protect the Iranian economy from American sanctions. The step is expected to be “stronger” than the previous two, which included exceeding the stockpile of enriched uranium beyond the 300kg limit, as well as going beyond the 3.67 percent enrichment threshold.
    The announcement came within hours of the US slapping the country with a new batch of sanctions, targeting oil business allegedly linked to the Revolutionary Guards Corps – an elite branch of the military that the US designated as a terrorist organisation earlier this year. US officials vowed to continue the sanctions policy against the country to maintain the “maximum pressure” on it and ruled out the possibility of granting any sanction waivers.
    Washington's move threatens to destroy the most recent European attempt to salvage the 2015 deal before it even had a chance to flesh out. France earlier came up with an idea of a $15 billion credit program for Iran, that would come in exchange for its compliance with the JCPOA and readiness to participate in regional security talks. Still, Paris admitted that such a deal would only be possible if Washington issues waivers for it.

V

Viral

Wondering if Iran is in bed with Trump.
    The more they build up their arsenal the more milking Trump gets to enjoy from the Saudis selling them soon to become obsolete arms.:lol: