Iraq IRGC commander Qassem Sulaimani and PMF's deputy leader Muhandis killed in US drone attack in Baghdad

Resign

Resign

Orange Room Supporter
TEHRAN: Tensions are mounting over Tehran's probe into the January downing of a passenger plane near the Iranian capital, as countries that lost citizens in the disaster criticise the Islamic republic's reticence to share key information.

Iran's authorities are examining the incident in which its air defences shot down the Kiev-bound Ukrainian International Airlines flight a few minutes after takeoff from Tehran on Jan 8, killing 176 people.

On Monday, Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky accused Tehran of knowing "from the start" that its missile had downed the Boeing 737, after leaked recordings emerged from Iranian air traffic control.

The recordings, aired on Ukraine's 1+1 TV channel on Sunday, feature a conversation between an air traffic controller and the pilot of an Iranian Aseman Airlines flight at the time the Ukrainian airliner was hit.

The pilot describes "a series of lights on our route, like a missile" and an "explosion", and asks for explanation from the controller.

Countries whose citizens died in the disaster have criticised Iran's refusal to hand the plane's black boxes to Ukraine or one of the few countries capable of recovering and analysing the data they contain.

The disaster unfolded as Iran's defences were on high alert in case the US retaliated to Iranian strikes hours earlier on American troops stationed in Iraq - themselves in response to the US assassination of a top Iranian commander.

Canada, which says it lost 57 citizens in the tragedy, suspected from a start that a missile had downed the plane, carrying mostly Iranian passengers as well as Afghans, Britons, Swedes and Ukrainians.

In the immediate aftermath, Iranian civilian authorities insisted the crash was likely caused by a technical malfunction, vehemently denying claims the plane was shot down.

But in the early hours of Jan 11, the Iranian military admitted that the plane was shot down due to "human error".

The aerospace commander of Iran's Revolutionary Guards, Brigadier General Amirali Hajizadeh, took responsibility, saying a missile had been fired due to a "bad decision" by a missile operator.

GOVERNMENT 'NOT INFORMED'

In the absence of information from military authorities, investigators initially said the crash was likely caused by "an engine fire or an explosion on board" the aircraft.

The Iranian government maintained it had not been informed of the true cause of the accident until the afternoon of Jan 10, denying any cover-up and promising a transparent investigation open to all concerned parties.

Days later, a video circulated on social media indicating that not one but two missiles were fired at the aircraft, about 30 seconds apart. That was not confirmed until January 20 by the Civil Aviation Organisation (CAO).

"Once and for all, the government was not informed," the director of President Hassan Rouhani's cabinet, Mahmoud Vaezi, said on Wednesday, adding that the Iranian leader "was not informed until the afternoon of Friday" Jan 10.

On the recording broadcast by 1+1, Vaezi said it was transferred to the Ukrainians and "therefore has nothing secret".

He noted that the pilot on the recording does not say that the plane was hit by a missile.

The CAO criticised the broadcasting of the recording, saying that the pilot had been interviewed by investigators.

The lights seen by the pilot could have been the plane on fire, the CAO said, affirming it wanted to work with the concerned countries and calling for "all parties to avoid politicising" the disaster.

'TRANSPARENCY AND JUSTICE'

Canada has repeatedly asked Iran to hand the plane's black boxes over to Ukraine or France for expert analysis.

"The community of grieving nations continues to call on #Iran to immediately release the black boxes," Canadian Foreign Minister François-Philippe Champagne tweeted on Tuesday.

The CAO, which acknowledges it does not have the means to retrieve data from them, said it asked its French and US counterparts, the BEA and NTSB respectively, to provide a list of the equipment required.

Swedish Foreign Minister Ann Linde reiterated calls for the "immediate release" of the boxes in a tweet Tuesday.

"Iran needs to secure closure, accountability, transparency and justice for victims of #PS752," she said.

• Advertisement
  • proIsrael-nonIsraeli

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

Legendary Member
    "rally on the 41st anniversary of their revolution–and to honor their fallen heroes" - that's what makes me wonder about how relevant and/or genuine it is.

(relevancy question)
    First, "fallen heroes" could be referencing friends and relatives who fell in Iran-Iraq war and as such it will be apolitical gathering that would naturally draw great number of people.

(genuineness question)
    Second, how am I to know that people weren't forced to attend the same way they were forced to attend Suleimani funeral.

Lebmonage

Lebmonage

Legendary Member
    "rally on the 41st anniversary of their revolution–and to honor their fallen heroes" - that's what makes me wonder about how relevant and/or genuine it is.

(relevancy question)
    First, "fallen heroes" could be referencing friends and relatives who fell in Iran-Iraq war and as such it will be apolitical gathering that would naturally draw great number of people.

(genuineness question)
    Second, how am I to know that people weren't forced to attend the same way they were forced to attend Suleimani funeral.
    I think your post is quite funny. So whatever you believe would be inconsequential. It will only reflect how funny you are.

NewLeb

NewLeb

metel al bsaynat
    like any otehr muslim nation
    they will bark loud . than turn and deals with usa

You mean like any other country in the world that opposes Western political dominance?

Lebmonage

Lebmonage

Legendary Member
    @Resign

I don't know how what you're laughing over is funny. It is actually very serious and a threat to regional peace and the peace of Lebanon. Imagine if the others had carried out this attack on Israehelli targets. You'd be here endlessly ranting and pretending to be Mother Theresa about how others like war and want to destroy Lebanon and the region. But israehell carries out an attack of aggression and you're rejoicing. It shows you're a traitor. You are a treacherous snake and that is very filthy. Just like you have been drumming for fitnah and chaos since the protests in Lebanon and dont want to see stability and a government formed. Are you really Lebanese? And if you are truly Lebanese, is your flesh and blood from pigs?

Dont you have imagination? Till when will Israehell be able to continue violating the sovereignty of Syria and be killing and roaming in and out freely without a response? I really don't think this will last for too long before a bloody response from Iran, Syria and Hezballah. Imagine Israehell carries out such an attack and both Syria and Iran and their allies are ready and prepared for an all out war and are trigger happy and they fire some missiles into the heart of Tel Aviv without any warning? Isn't that a risk of an all out war that could destroy our peace? Who would you blame? Use your imagination so that when a response comes you'd know whom to blame. The international community is watching these acts of aggression by Israehell and not saying anything until the worst happens.

Israehell keeps saying they want peace and keep pointing the finger at others. But they're the ones acting in ways that don't speak or smell of peace. And it is a natural law that people will reap what they sow.

Resign

Resign

Orange Room Supporter
    @Resign

I don't know how what you're laughing over is funny. It is actually very serious and a threat to regional peace and the peace of Lebanon. Imagine if the others had carried out this attack on Israehelli targets. You'd be here endlessly ranting and pretending to be Mother Theresa about how others like war and want to destroy Lebanon and the region. But israehell carries out an attack of aggression and you're rejoicing. It shows you're a traitor. You are a treacherous snake and that is very filthy. Just like you have been drumming for fitnah and chaos since the protests in Lebanon and dont want to see stability and a government formed. Are you really Lebanese? And if you are truly Lebanese, is your flesh and blood from pigs?

Dont you have imagination? Till when will Israehell be able to continue violating the sovereignty of Syria and be killing and roaming in and out freely without a response? I really don't think this will last for too long before a bloody response from Iran, Syria and Hezballah. Imagine Israehell carries out such an attack and both Syria and Iran and their allies are ready and prepared for an all out war and are trigger happy and they fire some missiles into the heart of Tel Aviv without any warning? Isn't that a risk of an all out war that could destroy our peace? Who would you blame? Use your imagination so that when a response comes you'd know whom to blame. The international community is watching these acts of aggression by Israehell and not saying anything until the worst happens.

Israehell keeps saying they want peace and keep pointing the finger at others. But they're the ones acting in ways that don't speak or smell of peace. And it is a natural law that people will reap what they sow.
    I’m not rejoicing
    I’m laughing at Qa’ani’s statement vs what happened few hours later
    I always knew Iran is full of shit.
    Let’s see how they’ll react to those agressions without enslaving few Lebanese to fight on their behalf.

Lebmonage

Lebmonage

Legendary Member
    I’m not rejoicing
    I’m laughing at Qa’ani’s statement vs what happened few hours later
    I always knew Iran is full of shit.
    Let’s see how they’ll react to those agressions without enslaving few Lebanese to fight on their behalf.
    If Iran was made of cardboard and can't defend itself, it would have long ago fallen in one way or the other. Iran is capable of protecting itself. And if an all out war breaks where Iran is an active and direct party, that isn't something anyone with human sanity should wish for. Iran and its allies are powers with huge popular support and base. That means any war with Iran, Syria, Hezballah, Yemen, etc. it would be an endless war. You'd have to nuke an entire population and commit a genocide before you can win such war. So learn how to be sane.

Resign

Resign

Orange Room Supporter
    If Iran was made of cardboard and can't defend itself, it would have long ago fallen in one way or the other. Iran is capable of protecting itself. And if an all out war breaks where Iran is an active and direct party, that isn't something anyone with human sanity should wish for. Iran and its allies are powers with huge popular support and base. That means any war with Iran, Syria, Hezballah, Yemen, etc. it would be an endless war. You'd have to nuke an entire population and commit a genocide before you can win such war. So learn how to be sane.
    Habibi it's not me threatening
    It's Iran

They threatened to hit Israel
    few hours later Israel killed 4 Iranian officers
    If they don't hit back (without enslaving Lebanese people) then they're full of shit and yes made of cardboard.

Lebmonage

Lebmonage

Legendary Member
    Habibi it's not me threatening
    It's Iran

They threatened to hit Israel
    few hours later Israel killed 4 Iranian officers
    If they don't hit back (without enslaving Lebanese people) then they're full of shit and yes made of cardboard.
    Iran won't retaliate directly and risk an all out war if it isn't sure of winning or at least, ensuring it won't lose one. If they're not responding, it means they dont want war and contrary to Israehelli claims that Iran is a threat, Iran is actually not a threat. That is what it means. But the question is for how long would Israehell keep committing acts of aggression before the others damn the consequences and choose war? It almost happened last month with Trump's assassination of Soleimani. Then both sides stepped back. Both sides can cause destruction. But the only side here pushing its luck too far is Israehell.

Resign

Resign

Orange Room Supporter
    Iran won't retaliate directly and risk an all out war if it isn't sure of winning or at least, ensuring it won't lose one. If they're not responding, it means they dont want war and contrary to Israehelli claims that Iran is a threat, Iran is actually not a threat. That is what it means. But the question is for how long would Israehell keep committing acts of aggression before the others damn the consequences and choose war? It almost happened last month with Trump's assassination of Soleimani. Then both sides stepped back. Both sides can cause destruction. But the only side here pushing its luck too far is Israehell.
    I don't think Iran will receive any blow in the future that equates the assassination of Soleimani.
    The head was chopped already.
    What was the response to Soleimani's assassination ? few coordinated missiles that hit an airport in Iraq killing no one, downing a civilian plane out of fear in the process.

If they don't want war, then let them keep mum and stop releasing statement's such as yesterday's making a joke out of themselves.

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

Legendary Member
    I don't think Iran will receive any blow in the future that equates the assassination of Soleimani.
    The head was chopped already.
    What was the response to Soleimani's assassination ? few coordinated missiles that hit an airport in Iraq killing no one, downing a civilian plane out of fear in the process.

If they don't want war, then let them keep mum and stop releasing statement's such as yesterday's making a joke out of themselves.
    Iranians need to learn from Israelis how to make realistic claims.
    Iran wows to destroy Little Satan - quite unattainable.
    Israel wows to destroy everything Iranian that they can find in Syria - pretty modest and therefore easily doable.

"I don't think Iran will receive any blow in the future that equates the assassination of Soleimani"
    What's wrong with Suleimani's replacements?
    What are those, nothing?