• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

is Canaanites/Phoenicians a Paternal ancestry or a cultural phase ? are Lebanese Semitic or not ?

SAVO

lebanese are mixed from an ethnic standpoint ..not all people are ethnically arabs ,. but good percentage of them are arabs .

SAVO

If you can define "Arabs", we'll see if you are right

arabs muslim invaded lebanon on 632 and imposed their culture and their religion on lebanese or the people of this land ...
saying that all muslim are arab is scientifically wrong ..
the arabism became a political concept in the 900'.. i personally dont agree on because it exclude other citizens who are ethnically not arabs ..
sso anti arabism and pan arabism became 2 faces to the same coin .. fascist concepts

you cannot built your national identity on an anti arabic claim since lot of your compatriots are arabs and your country is in a majority arb regiion and your material existance depend on the trade with them ..

Lebanon_not_Arabic

arabs muslim invaded lebanon on 632 and imposed their culture and their religion on lebanese or the people of this land ...
So the people of this land became Muslims, not Arabs. That means ethnically, Lebanese are not Arabs (except for well known Arab tribes in Baalbeck, Hermel etc..)

What if a new superpower (let’s say China) invade us, impose their language, culture and religion...would we become Chinese and embrace the new identity?

you cannot built your national identity on an anti arabic claim since lot of your compatriots are arabs and your country is in a majority arb regiion and your material existance depend on the trade with them ..
My issue is not with Arabs, i am not anti-Arab.

My issue is with those who want to impose their identity/culture on those who have their own identity and culture.

NewLeb

“Imposed their culture.”

That’s not true. The Arabians were mostly interested in collected tax from their newly-conquered territories. They didn’t care much about cultural/religious dominance. It took centuries before the Middle East became majority Muslim.

NewLeb

A Lebanese Christian, no matter what sect, will always feel closer to an Assyrian, an Armenian or a Copt than to their Muslim neighbour. We see Muslims as strangers in our land, or more precisely we feel as strangers in our own land when we are surrounded by Muslims.

I think you’re talking about those two-dimensional Maronites who live in the secluded mountains and have never laid eyes on a Muslim, thinking Beirut is some faraway land in the East....

So the people of this land became Muslims, not Arabs. That means ethnically, Lebanese are not Arabs (except for well known Arab tribes in Baalbeck, Hermel etc..)

What if a new superpower (let’s say China) invade us, impose their language, culture and religion...would we become Chinese and embrace the new identity?

My issue is not with Arabs, i am not anti-Arab.

My issue is with those who want to impose their identity/culture on those who have their own identity and culture.
I agree

starting with our constitution that imposed the Arab identity on the Lebanese.

being Arab is not about language it’s about genetics. We don’t share a lot of culture either with people like Saudi Arabians, Emiratis, Kuwaitis, Yemenis etc... I mean we don’t even have mendi or mansaf on our menu ffs.

The Bidenator

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
I agree

starting with our constitution that imposed the Arab identity on the Lebanese.

being Arab is not about language it’s about genetics. We don’t share a lot of culture either with people like Saudi Arabians, Emiratis, Kuwaitis, Yemenis etc... I mean we don’t even have mendi or mansaf on our menu ffs.
How were people who play with their toes able to conquer you?