Is Lebanon's Armenian population stable?

J

Jeremy Samuel

Are Armenians more likely to emigrate than other Christians? Than Muslim Lebanese?

• Advertisement
  • Orangina

Orangina

Legendary Member
    I don't know....but I think many Armenians living in Lebanon are trying to go back to Armenia....

but why are you comparing Armenian to Muslims?

your question is not clear

Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
    Are Armenians more likely to emigrate than other Christians? Than Muslim Lebanese?
    I think @Indie should be in better position to answer.

However, on face value, I'd say yes. Not because or not necessarily because Armenians face more hardships than other Lebanese Christians or Lebanese Muslim but likelier than not because they have a second homeland. If other Lebanese have the opportunity, they too would likely leave. Many Lebanese with dual nationality, including myself, only come to Lebanon for holiday and go back to our other countries.

Assuming all Lebanese have visa free entry to developed places like the US, Canada, Australia, UK and EU, Lebanon would literally be deserted. I imagine that if developed countries want to give visa free entry to Lebanese nationals, our politicians would be the ones not to agree to such decision because they will lose many supporters and sheep. No one would like to be part of a flock of thugs cheering for a local warlord to receive some hundred dollars a month.

Last edited:
    J

Jeremy Samuel

I don't know....but I think many Armenians living in Lebanon are trying to go back to Armenia....

but why are you comparing Armenian to Muslims?

your question is not clear
    I was assuming that more Armenians would leave than other Christians because Lebanon is only a "second homeland" for them, and not their ancestral homeland. I am not someone who personally knows many Armenians, but I get a sense from what I read that the Armenian-American population has a lot of members whose prior residence was Lebanon, somewhere else in the Middle East, and even Africa or the Far East.

I was also wondering how prevalent Armenian emigration from Lebanon is. Is Lebanon's Armenian population growing or shrinking?

I know that Christians are more likely to emigrate from Lebanon than Muslims, but I was curious about what people here would say about it.

Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
    I was assuming that more Armenians would leave than other Christians because Lebanon is only a "second homeland" for them, and not their ancestral homeland. I am not someone who personally knows many Armenians, but I get a sense from what I read that the Armenian-American population has a lot of members whose prior residence was Lebanon, somewhere else in the Middle East, and even Africa or the Far East.

I was also wondering how prevalent Armenian emigration from Lebanon is. Is Lebanon's Armenian population growing or shrinking?

I know that Christians are more likely to emigrate from Lebanon than Muslims, but I was curious about what people here would say about it.
    I think when we also say Christians are more likely to migrate from Lebanon, it sort of sends the wrong message. Both groups, as ordinary people face the same problems and living conditions and challenges of bad leadership and a country divided by sectarianism and instituted sectarianism through its archaic system of governance. It portrays an image of one group running from the other. The reality is not that way. Everyone is running from the prevailing harsh conditions, but one group may be more opportune to leave. Aside from the fact that there are economic reasons, migration costs money. It isnt just a case of another country opening it's doors to welcome us. Take Canada as an example. To migrate to Canada, you would need lots of money. Migration costs money. In the past, Christians were better off than their Muslim counterparts, since power and wealth was under their control through the sectarian/congressional system which saw them monopolized the presidency with executive powers. Those powers were taken after the civil war through the Taef accord and diluted in the cabinet. So with the changes happening, whether you are Muslim or Christian, if you can afford to, you will leave.

Orangina

Orangina

Legendary Member

yes I do agree with @Rafidi on the fact that all Lebanese are trying to emigrate... and Armenian people with double nationality do feel it is easier for them to go to Armenia or elsewhere (I have one Armenian friend who wants to leave to Australia)... But on the other hand Armenian people are hard worker and they have established good jobs for them in Lebanon... they find it hard to close their shops.... their jewelry factories.... etc and leave everything behind

Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
    yes I do agree with @Rafidi on the fact that all Lebanese are trying to emigrate... and Armenian people with double nationality do feel it is easier for them to go to Armenia or elsewhere (I have one Armenian friend who wants to leave to Australia)... But on the other hand Armenian people are hard worker and they have established good jobs for them in Lebanon... they find it hard to close their shops.... their jewelry factories.... etc and leave everything behind
    When it comes to hard work, all Lebanese are generally industrious and they thrive in other countries in all the fields they find themselves in. The system in Lebanon is designed to enrich those in power and not to create a viable state that can cater to the needs of the people and unlock their potentials. Even the expats find themselves at the receiving end, in the sense that those in power would also milk them. Presently, depositors, many of whom are expats cant get their monies they had kept in banks because the governments over the years, made up of the same or regular faces, have squandered the deposits through the central bank. They tampered with the deposits because the central bank governor is a willing tool and an accomplice who would give in to the demands of politicians to spend deposits that belong to people and not to government.

Orangina

Orangina

Legendary Member
    When it comes to hard work, all Lebanese are generally industrious and they thrive in other countries in all the fields they find themselves in. The system in Lebanon is designed to enrich those in power and not to create a viable state that can cater to the needs of the people and unlock their potentials. Even the expats find themselves at the receiving end, in the sense that those in power would also milk them. Presently, depositors, many of whom are expats cant get their monies they had kept in banks because the governments over the years, made up of the same or regular faces, have squandered the deposits through the central bank. They tampered with the deposits because the central bank governor is a willing tool and an accomplice who would give in to the demands of politicians to spend deposits that belong to people and not to government.
    Yes, I agree on the fact that Expatriates do work hard in the country they are In and they do work in all fields....they even accept to work on gas stations, as taxi drivers, as waiters , cashier in a supermarket etc.....

Unlike what happens in Lebanon, all Lebanese want to be lawyers, doctors, engineers....ye3neh sitting behind a desk ah oh....they even dare to criticize what Madame Diab said about Lebanese working on gas stations or as helpers in the house

btenzal imeton

I admire Armenians, they work hard and they are not arrogant and snob like the Lebanese

mfakrin 7alon 7ad allah el lebneniyeh

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    The Armenian population in Lebanon has shrunk a lot from what I heard. Many of those remaining would emigrate if given the chance. Most want to move to the West because the economic situation in Armenia is not that easy either. However, getting the Armenian citizenship is much easier, so many choose that route.

Many left during the civil war. But things have gotten worse since, not better. People are fed up.

SeaAb

SeaAb

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Super Penguin
    Ya 3en 3al 3aysh l mushtarak...

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    They're upset because someone called out another country's government, but they condone the genocide of innocent civilians.

And we are supposed to build a country with these people.

Muki

Muki

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    They're upset because someone called out another country's government, but they condone the genocide of innocent civilians.

And we are supposed to build a country with these people.
    We are gunna build a secular state haha

AtheistForYeezus

AtheistForYeezus

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Well said ..

Othman empire was a criminale empire .. 1/4 of the lebanese people were killerd because of the famine they cause on 1914
    I agree with Neshan about Ottomans, but he did sound like a racist when he said "wil Atrak". He fell in the same overgeneralization trap.

SAVO

SAVO

I agree with Neshan about Ottomans, but he did sound like a racist when he said "wil Atrak". He fell in the same overgeneralization trap.
    probably ..
    i always sympathized with armenians over the issue .. but i agree you cannot accuse all the turks to be criminals ..its just like accusing all jews to be zionist ,,which is not the case .

a friend of mine who is a prominent figure in the swiss comunist party and partially of a turkish origin , he support the turkish version of the story , that there was no genocide or full scale slaughter .. we had a huge boring and bloody discussion over it but he never convinced me ,.he can justify as much as he want but there is an objective reality , which is the presence of thousands of armenian refugee in lebanon , who had to flee their land ..
    if it wasn't an ethnic cleansing , how would you name it ?

beside in turkish hostory there was another pogrom. the greek community in istanbul 1955..

1591998648035.png

1591998684467.png

1591998705546.png

Last edited:
    AtheistForYeezus

AtheistForYeezus

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I'm on this thread to learn and not opine and obviously don't know Arabic. Could someone summarize what this person is saying?
    This guy is a famous Lebanese TV host of Armenian descent. He's reading out a tweet that described him as a "refugee and a racist for having called Erdogan a hypocrite".
    So he responded by saying "son of a million hypocrite...from Erdogan, to the government to Ottomans, to Turks...If you consider me a refugee, I'll have you know that I'm more Lebanese than you are. I've been in Lebanon longer than you."

There is a sizable Sunni minority in the North of Lebanon that looks up to Erdogan as a hero. They are mostly members of Al Jama'aa Al Islamiyyah (the Lebanese branch of the Muslim Brotherhood). The person who posted that tweet likely belongs to that group.

Last edited:
    Muki

Muki

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    This guy is a famous Lebanese TV host of Armenian descent. He's reading out a tweet that described him as a "refugee and a racist for having called Erdogan a hypocrite".
    So he responded by saying "son of a million hypocrite...from Erdogan, to the government to Ottomans, to Turks...If you consider me a refugee, I'll have you know that I'm more Lebanese than you are. I've been in Lebanon longer than you."

There is a sizable Sunni minority in the North of Lebanon that looks up to Erdogan as a hero. They are mostly members of Al Jama'aa Al Islamiyyah (the Lebanese branch of the Muslim Brotherhood). The person who posted that tweet likely belongs to that group.
    Don't forget, Al-Jama'aa Al-Islamiyyah are FPM allies. They allied together during the elections.