is ur manager younger than u? or at least has the same age as u?

L

LebanonNation

hi

have you worked or do you work in such an environment?

this is happening to me (manager 2 years old than me) and frankly this is very annoying...especially when his only privilige is that he spent more years in the company to which I recently moved....In my old job, my manager was 15 years older than me and he has much experience (too many things to dig from him)...

Hope not to move to a new job where my manager is younger than me :)

share your thoughts and experience plz

thx

• Advertisement
  • lebanon4ever

lebanon4ever

When the manager is as old as his employee,especially if they are from the same sex,i think there will be some problems.
    If they are guys,the manager will start teaching his employee,"how to act in life",because he thinks himself that he is the boss and he knows everything ( w ma bikoun bya3ref chi :))
    If they are females,there will be jealousy and bla bla bla stuff.
    In IT firms,you can easily find a manager who has 27-28 years old.If she/he finished at 22,and made a gr8 experience in the company,he/she can be easily a manager (not in other fields or firms,where you cannot find a school director for exemple aged 27)
    In this case,if a person who finished university at 24-25 and didn't have the chance that this manager had,may finish as an employee under his authority.

Abufijli

Abufijli

At my work I am the manager and I have staff under my supervision who are 8-15 years older than me. AT first I found this awkward, but work is work and people have different duties, we all make our lives easy by not worrying about this stuff.

Lebanese_dream

Lebanese_dream

I am doing an internship in France and they just decide to nominate a new manager in a team. The manager is 29 years old and the members of his team are 50, 55 and 45 years old. Sound weird no?

P.S: In a big european Investment bank...

Xena

Xena

well my manager is 7 years older than me... i'm the youngest in my team, the others are younger than the manager bass with 2 or 3 years difference!

w there is absolutely no problem whatsoever! i love it, it's a young team w we all get each others, w our manager doesnt act like a bossy manager who knows everything, bel 3akes we don't even feel he's the boss! he's just like another person on the team bass with different kind of responsibilities!
    i personally wouldn't want a much older boss!

Mey

Mey

Professionals should be professionals and not have a problem with such an issue. I think it is when we start to think unprofessionally that we fall into such problems. Posts are posts, and age has nothing to do with a post.

Dalzi

Dalzi

Legendary Member
    At my work I am the manager and I have staff under my supervision who are 8-15 years older than me. AT first I found this awkward, but work is work and people have different duties, we all make our lives easy by not worrying about this stuff.
    I can imagine what they're going through ;) lol.

RamitallicA

RamitallicA

Legendary Member
    I am doing an internship in France and they just decide to nominate a new manager in a team. The manager is 29 years old and the members of his team are 50, 55 and 45 years old. Sound weird no?

P.S: In a big european Investment bank...
    what if that manager is so talented?

I see nothing wrong in that as long as there's respect between the manager and the employee, other than that it doesn't matter!

lebanon4ever

lebanon4ever

there was a movie dealing with such issue.I don't know what is the name of the actors but it was a comic one.

gramsci

gramsci

Legendary Member
    if most of lebanese are managers , how many simple employees left ?

lebanon4ever

lebanon4ever

if most of lebanese are managers , how many simple employees left ?
    the problem in lebanese societies is that they are small or familiar,so you may find a manager under whom there are 1 or two employees,or sometimes you can find a manager without any employee under him...

supersonichadi

supersonichadi

hi

have you worked or do you work in such an environment?

this is happening to me (manager 2 years old than me) and frankly this is very annoying...especially when his only privilige is that he spent more years in the company to which I recently moved....In my old job, my manager was 15 years older than me and he has much experience (too many things to dig from him)...

Hope not to move to a new job where my manager is younger than me :)

share your thoughts and experience plz

thx
    You are describing it as if it is a problem, but it is not. Where I work, my manager is older than me in 3 years, but believe it or not, I never felt that he is my boss or something like that. It depends on the personality of the manager, not more.

CPL

CPL

I am the youngest in my company, and as project manager i have to manage the whole company concerning new projects...

Yes it creates problems, but now they are getting more and more used to it.

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Orange Room Supporter
    lets try to revive this thread, do you have a younger manger? how is your relationship going?
    do you feel awkward when they criticize your work, or do you draw the line when it comed to your expertise?

NewLeb

NewLeb

Given that all the managers I’ve ever had were incompetent, I realized that the best course of action to take was to become my own manager. ;)

NewB

NewB

Legendary Member
    I'm the "young" manager. I run a team of 30+ engineers in a very competitive technical industry. These are engineers with a minimum Master's degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering. I earned the job, I worked for it and I got there because I possess skills that the other engineers didn't have or didn't learn. It's not my fault that I am younger.

Don't assume that your younger manager is having a good time leading you. I have to deal with multiple cultures on the teams because I can get a long with the younger ones more than the older ones.

Would be more than happy to answer your questions from the other perspective.

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Orange Room Supporter
    I'm the "young" manager. I run a team of 30+ engineers in a very competitive technical industry. These are engineers with a minimum Master's degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering. I earned the job, I worked for it and I got there because I possess skills that the other engineers didn't have or didn't learn. It's not my fault that I am younger.

Don't assume that your younger manager is having a good time leading you. I have to deal with multiple cultures on the teams because I can get a long with the younger ones more than the older ones.

Would be more than happy to answer your questions from the other perspective.
    what do u think those skills are that u developed that the ithers didnt? and why is that?