• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

is western civilization decaying?

is western civilization decaying?

• Total voters

HmsBThn

Legendary Member
i agree with the last statement, and having abroad and in Leb, it goes without saying that people maintain and practice their values and are by far more polite and friendly than the average person in this region of the world. but that still does not mean that western civilization is not on the decline.

the educational system is mostly a failure, more people are being educated and enabled, but relatively speaking there is no longer a sense of excellence, education empowers, but poor education is by far more dangerous than no education at all.

add to it that the political institutions are a disgrace, and globalization and corporate mentality have managed to place the middle class under their mercy, not to mention the hollywood effect, more importantly there is an odd sense of dealing with reality and prioritizing issues. i can only wonder whether it has always been the case and civilization always struggled to prevail against such conditions or is it that the very foundation of what makes civilization rise progress and advance is being eroded because many people no longer subscribe to meaning.

I think humanity is advancing at a great pace. You and I and others have at times an opposite feeling because we are curious, aware, and sensistive to the issues that are not shameful or hidden anymore :) People are talking openly about problems in social medias, TVs and books.

Hollywood lost a big deal of its effect on people. The cult of the stars is almost dead. I am not sure where you live today, an up to date might be a good idea. Let me know when you are coming to New York :D

The educational system is amazing :) there is no sense of excellence because individuals in some societies are equally educated. That sense of excellence existed when 5% of a village knew how to read and write. The village thought that 5% were intellectuals and super humans.
Everyone is Europe speaks at least 2-3 languages. That's amazing !! Never ever happened in history at that scale.

corporate mentality is a problem I admit. But nothing compares to the institutions 100 years ago and going back thousands. Dictators, feudal lords, kings, Gods, and Khalifes lol. Utopia does not exist, the system is not perfect but we have came a loooong way.

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
I think humanity is advancing at a great pace. You and I and others have at times an opposite feeling because we are curious, aware, and sensistive to the issues that are not shameful or hidden anymore :) People are talking openly about problems in social medias, TVs and books.
consider this scenario, let's assume the technological advances continue at a great rate, and one day, an individual will be able to manufacture a nuclear bomb in her kitchen (it's always her kitchen). i am not raising the point of the 1 in a billion crazy exception, but rather the balanced advancement and the balanced progress that brings forth along with the marvelous breakthroughs the wisdom, the understanding and the morals to invest them in the right direction. it is this type of understanding - not knowledge - that seems to be missing these days.

Hollywood lost a big deal of its effect on people. The cult of the stars is almost dead. I am not sure where you live today, an up to date might be a good idea. Let me know when you are coming to New York :D
the hollywood act did not diminish, it evolved and moved on to different stages and more advanced levels, we moved on from fonz to mario, from marylin monroe and brigitte bardot to mia khalifa and richard dawkins :p
it's been a while since i've been to newyork, now i do my preaching in the arab world :p and not to be outdone, let me know if you ever come to britel :p

The educational system is amazing :) there is no sense of excellence because individuals in some societies are equally educated. That sense of excellence existed when 5% of a village knew how to read and write. The village thought that 5% were intellectuals and super humans.
Everyone is Europe speaks at least 2-3 languages. That's amazing !! Never ever happened in history at that scale.
think of it this way, there used to be a time not so long ago, when we had marvelous writers in Lebanon and abroad, why are these times long gone? theoretically, we should be getting better and better; unfortunately it is not the case. each decade and each century have their relative excellence, and in this day and age considering the possibilities that are being almost handed over to the masses, you would expect the average person would be rather remarkable, instead you get the notion that you're not even getting the return on your investment :)

corporate mentality is a problem I admit. But nothing compares to the institutions 100 years ago and going back thousands. Dictators, feudal lords, kings, Gods, and Khalifes lol. Utopia does not exist, the system is not perfect but we have came a loooong way.
it is the new form of slavery, slavers did not go out of business, they simply adapted and are still adapting.i can imagine that several centuries down the road there will be an uproar similar to the one the world witnessed over slavery. hardworking people are becoming a replaceable commodity, and the masses are dancing to the ugly tone of consumerism..

HmsBThn

Legendary Member
consider this scenario, let's assume the technological advances continue at a great rate, and one day, an individual will be able to manufacture a nuclear bomb in her kitchen (it's always her kitchen). i am not raising the point of the 1 in a billion crazy exception, but rather the balanced advancement and the balanced progress that brings forth along with the marvelous breakthroughs the wisdom, the understanding and the morals to invest them in the right direction. it is this type of understanding - not knowledge - that seems to be missing these days.

the hollywood act did not diminish, it evolved and moved on to different stages and more advanced levels, we moved on from fonz to mario, from marylin monroe and brigitte bardot to mia khalifa and richard dawkins :p
it's been a while since i've been to newyork, now i do my preaching in the arab world :p and not to be outdone, let me know if you ever come to britel :p

think of it this way, there used to be a time not so long ago, when we had marvelous writers in Lebanon and abroad, why are these times long gone? theoretically, we should be getting better and better; unfortunately it is not the case. each decade and each century have their relative excellence, and in this day and age considering the possibilities that are being almost handed over to the masses, you would expect the average person would be rather remarkable, instead you get the notion that you're not even getting the return on your investment :)

it is the new form of slavery, slavers did not go out of business, they simply adapted and are still adapting.i can imagine that several centuries down the road there will be an uproar similar to the one the world witnessed over slavery. hardworking people are becoming a replaceable commodity, and the masses are dancing to the ugly tone of consumerism..

Someone is extremely pessimist :)

Is it Lebanon doing this to you?

loubnaniTO

Legendary Member
Staff member
Super Penguin
i always find it a little unsettling when i hear about "western civilization" vs. ... i don't know, eastern? other? miscellaneous?
Is Western Civilization all the "first world" countries? or just west... of something? like is it both americas? or north america? or just the US? is it Europe? all of it? is it Australia? cause i can tell you, we call them all "western" but they are not necessarily ALL alike.
The videos seem to reflect what's probably happening more in the US rather than in other countries, but i could be mistaken.
And when we talk about the decay of the "western civilization", what are we contrasting it against? the rest of the world? like....... Lebanon? Saudi Arabia? Egypt? china? India? African Countries? i am not sure which ones are decaying faster....

Is our Lebanon civilization decaying, or progressing? are we moving towards the top ranking countries to live in?
In the name of religion we hate each other, we kill each other, we discriminate, and we are bringing our "civilization" in a free fall towards hell.
We have been littered with our own garbage and the problem is whether we open a garbage dump in a maronite region vs. muslim region?
We steal everything bad from the "western civilizations" and we hardly import one GOOD value or aspect.. we show off at the expense of buying an insurance policy, we F*** our neighbours just because they're from a different sect, hell or from the same sect but they follow a different leader.

maybe Lebanon is a bad example? can someone pick another where "values" are salvaged and the civilization is progressing?

Yes, some "civilizations" might implode because of the radical mentalities people have, like racism in the US or lack of gun control, or greed where people will stomp on others for money.... but this is not widespread across the "western civilization". Look at the northern european countries? are they imploding? they might be having external issues now with refugees, but are they decaying?? really??? best health system, best quality of living, best education for their children.... decaying? how about Canada? Decaying? how?

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
Ahh..The good ol' days! Hek beddo @Dark Angel :p
noted :p but keep in mind that we've come full circle, thousands of years ago there wasn't even any notions of marriage, the strongest cave man had his way with as many females as he could first, maybe even with some males, who knows, then came the institution of marriage to give sanctity to the act as man was investing a substantial effort to rise above his instincts so that civilization could take roots to achieve the humanity of Man. now that civilization has taken roots and is flourishing, some folks still think it is very progressive to return to the way it first was :)

Libnene Qu7

Super Ultra Senior Member
Orange Room Supporter
noted :p but keep in mind that we've come full circle, thousands of years ago there wasn't even any notions of marriage, the strongest cave man had his way with as many females as he could first, maybe even with some males, who knows, then came the institution of marriage to give sanctity to the act as man was investing a substantial effort to rise above his instincts so that civilization could take roots to achieve the humanity of Man. now that civilization has taken roots and is flourishing, some folks still think it is very progressive to return to the way it first was :)

Mind you that at that time, given the puny numbers of our species, this ensured our survival. In fact, it's the reason why you and I exist today. Our ancient grandfather was deek el 7ay :lol:

Impera

Father of "Cash Me Ousside" Girl Speaks Out Against "Exploitation" of His Daughter

Earlier this week, New Times reported on the latest bizarre chapter in the story of Danielle Bregoli, whose appearances on Dr. Phil made her an internet celebrity and secured her a recording contract with Atlantic Records. Many observers have commented about the situation, but a new voice has entered the conversation, arguably one more important than all others: that of her father.

Ira Peskowitz, age 49, has come out in opposition to what he sees as the exploitation of his 14-year-old daughter by Atlantic Records and her management team. He tells New Times he is disturbed that her provocative behavior and persona — glamorized and commodified in her new rap video, "These Heaux" — is being condoned and even encouraged in the name of profit.

"The exploitation of what they're doing to her," he says, "is disgusting."

Peskowitz, a sheriff's deputy in Palm Beach County, does not think enough is being done to shield her from the corrosive influence of her newfound stardom. He is disturbed by her association with Atlantic label-mate and fellow South Floridian Kodak Black, who has been accused of sexual assault and is under house arrest for parole violation. He also says the teenager is exposed daily to predatory comments of a sexual nature on her social media feeds and shuffled among apartments rented on Airbnb.

He believes Bregoli's managers and mother are intentionally keeping her from associating with him. Peskowitz says the group changed his daughter's phone number and forced the cancellation of a trip to Lion Country Safari, where she would have met her stepbrothers.

"Obviously, people are making money off her," he says. "But what is the mother or her management doing to protect this child? Absolutely nothing."

Adam Kluger Public Relations, a New York firm that represented Bregoli earlier this year, did not immediately respond to a request for comment, nor did Atlantic Records.

Peskowitz has had difficulty connecting with his daughter since she was an infant. A February story in the Palm Beach Post recounts the long history of the custody battle between her parents, who remained unmarried and suffered through a turbulent relationship marked by accusations of domestic violence on both sides. Although Barbara Bregoli was granted primary custody, she continually petitioned the court to halt his visits by sending letters to a Palm Beach County magistrate, the sheriff's office, and other officials.

The Dr. Phil appearances and subsequent drama have only amplified the family's troubles. Peskowitz says his children are teased in school because of their half-sister's actions. He also says he has received letters from her management threatening legal action in the event of "defamation."

Whatever can be said of this situation, it is certainly an example of an obsessive media culture gone too far. Danielle Bregoli was once merely a troubled child, but the amplification of her troubles by talk shows and social media has clearly upended her life. And the people surrounding her have done nothing to give her a sense of normalcy.

She is, after all, a 14-year-old girl, estranged from her father and pushed into a tawdry limelight.

Manifesto

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
What's wrong with a hedonistic lifestyle? Which lifestyle should they aspire to?

What standard are you comparing western civilization to, that you've reached the conclusion that western civilization is in decay?

Those two instances are quite news to me. Where did you hear about them?

Huh? Who are you talking about?

Be specific. Which music? Which movies? Which entertainment? Which videos?

No, most do not accept to discriminate against people and treat them as inferior; I would say that is good morals. And they did not need a book to tell them to treat others with respect and humility.

Westerners aspire to a hedonistic lifestyle because they're too smart to believe in the afterlife. So they try to enjoy this life here as much as they can. Everyone should be a hedonist.

Manifesto

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Family values are diminishing! Briniging kids out of wedlock! Greedy Individualism on the rise! Loneliness, 1 being just a # out of 1 billion around; rush, stress, drugs and alcohol!

Signs of decaying for me.

There's nothing wrong with "bringing kids out of wedlock" Marriage is not for everyone. Single parents are able to raise a child.

JB81

Legendary Member
There's nothing wrong with "bringing kids out of wedlock" Marriage is not for everyone. Single parents are able to raise a child.

Maybe if you check who's more prone to success in life; you may change your opinion.