Islamophobia & anti-Semitism

Picasso

Picasso

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Islamophobia and Anti-Semitism

Mechanisms of Exclusion and Discrimination

According to Wolfgang Benz, head of the Center for Research on Anti-Semitism at Berlin's Free University, there are structural similarities in the stigmatisation of Muslims and Jews. An interview by Claudia Mende

More...

• Advertisement
  • Picasso

Picasso

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Why was the US military teaching 'total war' on Islam?

America's top military officer has condemned a course taught about Islam at one of America's top military schools as "totally objectionable".

It is not surprising. The story, first broken by Wired, is fairly astonishing, and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Martin Dempsey, must be furious.

The course taught officers there was no such thing as moderate Islam and that they should consider the religion their enemy.

It advocated "total war" against all the world's Muslims, including possible nuclear attacks on the holy cities of Mecca and Medina and the wiping out civilian populations.

The Pentagon has confirmed the course material found on their website is authentic.

More...

Chris306

Chris306

Well Picasso, I think a lot of this "Islamophobia" stems from what these westerners see back in the Islamic world. A world of intolerance, where other faiths are banned and many, including other Islamic minority sects, face persecution. I see a huge difference between racism and disdain for religion. We cannot call those who oppose Islam "racists", nor can we if they hate Christianity. Phobia means being afraid of something they shouldn't be. Can we call fearing Islam unjustified? There are people in jail for their religion in the Mideast. From Iran to Saudi Arabia and beyond, persecution and attacks against minorities is rampant. I believe even though I am not a Muslim, I have been viewed as one more then once and treated differently. It's not Islamophobia is that case, it is a matter of racism because of my complexion.

Picasso

Picasso

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Shylock and Othello in the Time of Xenophobia

VENICE — When my university brought “The Merchant of Venice” to the Ghetto of Venice for the first time in history last year, a question was frequently asked: “Why an anti-Semitic play in a place of Jewish segregation and suffering, the very site where the word ‘ghetto’ comes from?” The answer: “Because we, the real Jews of Venice, are not afraid of Shylock, our secret sharer; we loathe him, but he can help us think about anti-Semitism.”

The occasion was the coincidence of two anniversaries: 400 years since the death of Shakespeare and 500 years since the Republic of Venice decreed that the Jews — newcomers and refugees — must be confined to an abandoned foundry named Getto. It was a year of terrorist threats, economic crisis, war across the Mediterranean, enormous migrations. Borders were sealed, fences were built, and the climate of crisis across Europe in the aftermath of the refugee crisis had provoked paranoid fears that targeted Africans, Muslims and Jews, echoing the themes of “The Merchant of Venice” and “Othello.”

More...

Last edited:
    gramsci

gramsci

Legendary Member
    those are totally different issue..
    the anti semitism is very old in europe , and unfortunately lead to huge tragedies..
    while islamofobia is a current issue , due to the peace lovers muslims who are invading europe and imposing their backward religion ..
    i personally prefer jews over muslim.they contributed in shaping european culture and history big time ... while muslim are getting us back to medieval time ...

AtheistForYeezus

AtheistForYeezus

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    those are totally different issue..
    the anti semitism is very old in europe , and unfortunately lead to huge tragedies..
    while islamofobia is a current issue , due to the peace lovers muslims who are invading europe and imposing their backward religion ..
    i personally prefer jews over muslim.they contributed in shaping european culture and history big time ... while muslim are getting us back to medieval time ...
    Ummm do you know that at one point I'm history the European nobility used to speak Arabic? When Europe was sunk in the Dark Age, the Islamic Empire was at the peak of civility and advancement.

gramsci

gramsci

Legendary Member
    Ummm do you know that at one point I'm history the European nobility used to speak Arabic? When Europe was sunk in the Dark Age, the Islamic Empire was at the peak of civility and advancement.
    thats true , the philosophy of averroe and avicenna .. enlightened europe medieval and had lot of contribution of renaissance .
    that was more than 500 years ago...
    arabs are the one who harmed their culture and their heritage more than everyone else.enlightened people like Hussein Mroue and mahdi amel ( hassan hamdan ) , in europe you will find statue for them , while in lebanon apart from the physical assassination , but the intellectual negligence killed them everyday.

Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    let's play a little game. i name the arabic scientist/philosopher, and you tell me how he died. deal? :)

let's start.

ibn el muqafa3.

Abotareq93

Abotareq93

Legendary Member
    let's play a little game. i name the arabic scientist/philosopher, and you tell me how he died. deal? :)

let's start.

ibn el muqafa3.
    Ibn AlMoukaffa3 was Persian. Did you mean Muslim scientist or philosopher? By the way, none of the Muslim scientists or philosophers was Arab; most of them were Persians. AlBoukhari and Muslim who wrote the most trusted Ahadeeth books were not Arabs; AlBoukhari was from Boukhara( Uzbekistan) and Muslim was Persian.

مقتله[عدل]
    اشتهر عبد الله بن المقفع بِأنه على خِلافٍ شديدٍ مع سُفيان بن مُعاوية بن يزيد بن المهلب بن أبي صفرة وهو والي البصرة أثناء فترة حُكم الخليفة العباسي أبو جعفر المنصور، وكان إبن المُقفع يعبث معه ويضحك عليه ويستخف به كثيراً وقيل أن أنف سُفيان كبيراً فكان يقول له عبد الله بن المقفع إذا دخل عليه: السلام عليكُما، يعني سفيان وأنفه معه؛ وقال له في أحد الأيام وهو يسخر منه أمام الناس: «ما تقول يا سُفيان في شخص مات وخلف زوجاً وزوجةً ??»[6].

وقال سفيان يوماً:

«ما ندمتُ على سكوتٍ قط».
    فقال له ابن المقفع:

«الخرس زينٌ لِأمثالك فكيف تندم عليه!».
    وورد عن سفيان بن معاوية أنه قال في إحدى المرات:

«والله لأقطعنه إرباً إرباً وعينه تنظر».
    غضب سُفيان من إبن المُقفع يوماً وافترى عليه أمراً ما وعندما سمِع عبد الله بن المقفع إفتراء سُفيان عليه قذف أُمّه وسبها وقال له:

«يا إبْن المُغتلِمة، والله مَا اكتفت أمك برجال العراق حَتَّى نكحها رجال أَهْل الشام».
    قَصد عبد الله بن المقفع بِالمغتلمة أي المرأة الفاجرة الشبقيّة التي لا تكتفي من الرجال ولا تنطفيء شهوتها وأُم سفيان التي قذفها إبن المقفع هي ميسون بنت المُغيرة بن المهلب بن أبي صفرة.

عِندما قال عبد الله بن المقفع مقولته هذه زادت ضغينة سُفيان وحقد عليه وضمر له الكراهية لِذا عزم على قتله والإنتقام منه فآمره بالقدوم إليه واستدعاه فقال له:

«أتذكر مَا كنت تقول عن أُمي ؟»
    ورد عليه عبد الله بن المقفع نادِماً مُتَوّسِلاً:

«أنشدك وأسألك بالله أيُها الأمير»
    فرد عليه سفيان بن معاوية مُهدداً إياه:

«أمي مغتلِمة كما قُلت سترى إن لم أقتلك قتلةً لم يُقتل بها أحداً قبلاً ولّن يُقتل بها أحداً بَعداً».
    بعد ذلك ربطه وآمر بإحضار فرن تنور فَسجَّره وأوقده حتى أصبح حامياً مُتوّقداً عندئذٍ آمر سفيان رجاله بِتقطيع أعضاء وأطراف عبد الله بن المقفع عضواً عضواً وكُلما قطعوا عضواً من جسم إبن المقفع يقول لهم سفيان بن معاوية:

«ألقوه وأرموه في النار».
    فجعل رجال سفيان يقطعون أعضاؤه ثم يرمونها في الفرن حتى تحترق بينما يرى وينظر لها عبد الله بن المقفع حتى هلك ومات من شدة التعذيب.

وقال له سُفيان عِندما كان يُحتضّر:

«ليس عليّ في المثلة بك حرجٌ، لأنك زنديق قَدْ أفسدت النّاس»[7].
    علق المؤرخ الذهبي في كِتابه سير أعلام النبلاء على هذه الحادثة قائِلاً:

«كانَ ابنُ المُقفَّعِ معَ سعَةِ فَضْلِه، وَفرطِ ذكائِهِ، فِيْهِ طَيشٌ، فَكانَ يقُوْلُ عَنْ سُفْيَانَ المُهلَّبيِّ: ابْنُ المُغْتَلِمَةِ مِما تَسَبّب
    بقتلِه.»

Picasso

Picasso

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter

let's start.

ibn el muqafa3.
    You can play games, but in your backyard, the thread was meant for serious discussion.

I suggest you open another thread and we all go there to play hockey.

Last edited:
    Picasso

Picasso

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Articles, Academic Lectures & Documentaries Only.

Impera

Impera

You cannot start a serious discussion if your main premise is that the majority (read Christians) are aggressors full of prejudice and hate while the minority (Jews and Muslims) are poor innocent victims who only want to live in peace and harmony with their surroundings.

You cannot have a foregone conclusion in your mind, make it the nucleus of the debate, and start connecting dots to validate that conclusion.

Reality isn't black and white as you want it to be.

Last edited:
    Picasso

Picasso

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    You cannot start a serious discussion if your main premise is that the majority (read Christians) are aggressors full of prejudice and hate while the minority (Jews and Muslims) are poor innocent victims who only want to live in peace and harmony with their surroundings.

You cannot have a foregone conclusion in your mind, make it the nucleus of the debate, and start connecting dots to validate that conclusion.

That's not the aim. You are judging intentions here.

Let's keep the thread for valuable materials. Please feel free to post articles and documentaries which express your views.

AtheistForYeezus

AtheistForYeezus

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Some Lebanese Christians always act superior to their Muslim compatriots.

Perhaps it has escaped them that Lebanon's most prolific scientist to date was actually a Muslim Shia (Hassan Kamel el Sabbah)

Hassan Kamel Al-Sabbah - Wikipedia

Picasso

Picasso

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Guys, could you please stick to the topic. Chitchats will make it unreadable.