Jewish Community in lebanon

JD06

1948 Jewish population: 20,000
2003: Fewer than 100

When Christian Arabs ruled Lebanon, Jews enjoyed relative toleration. In the mid-50’s, approximately 7,000 Jews lived in Beirut. As Jews in an Arab country, however, their position was never secure, and the majority left in 1967.
Fighting in the 1975-76 Muslim-Christian civil war swirled around the Jewish Quarter in Beirut, damaging many Jewish homes, businesses and synagogues. Most of the remaining 1,800 Lebanese Jews emigrated in 1976, fearing the growing Syrian presence in Lebanon would curtail their freedom of emigration. Most Jews went to Europe (particularly France), the United States, and Canada.
In the mid-1980's, Hezbollah kidnapped several prominent Jews from Beirut — most were leaders of what remained of the country's tiny Jewish community. Four of the Jews were later found murdered. Nearly all of the remaining Jews are in Beirut, where there is a committee that represents the community.<SUP>1</SUP> Because of the current political situation, Jews are unable to openly practice Judaism. In 2004, only 1 out of 5,000 Lebanese Jewish citizens registered to vote participated in the municipal elections. Virtually none of those registered remains in the country. The lone Jewish voter said that most of the community consists of old women.<SUP>2</SUP>

Ive been back in lebanon for 5 years now but stll havent heard anything about a jewish community, never seen anything about thm on the news,and i no thy dont have anyone representing thm in parliament, i read anothr article which said thyve been living in lebanon since 1000bc, and wen thy emigrated thy didnt go to israel thy went to places wer thr is a large lebanese commuity e.g france, canada,anyway my question is do u thnk we can ever reach the level of tolerance tht we had b4 the war and have a large jewish community living and participating in politics?, is israel our enemy or all jews even lebanese jews?

Bachir

The lebanese jews was not suppose to be thrown like that, they are suppose to be one of us. it is not their faults that Isreal did what she did. I dont think the Boudist srilankians who lives in lebanon are closer to me more then the lebanese jews. I wish all lebanse will come back one day, but it is too hard to happen.

Qandahar

Legendary Member
JD06 said:

When Christian Arabs ruled Lebanon, Jews enjoyed relative toleration. In the mid-50’s, approximately 7,000 Jews lived in Beirut. As Jews in an Arab country, however, their position was never secure, and the majority left in 1967.
Fighting in the 1975-76 Muslim-Christian civil war swirled around the Jewish Quarter in Beirut, damaging many Jewish homes, businesses and synagogues. Most of the remaining 1,800 Lebanese Jews emigrated in 1976, fearing the growing Syrian presence in Lebanon would curtail their freedom of emigration. Most Jews went to Europe (particularly France), the United States, and Canada.
In the mid-1980's, Hezbollah kidnapped several prominent Jews from Beirut — most were leaders of what remained of the country's tiny Jewish community. Four of the Jews were later found murdered. Nearly all of the remaining Jews are in Beirut, where there is a committee that represents the community.<SUP>1</SUP> Because of the current political situation, Jews are unable to openly practice Judaism. In 2004, only 1 out of 5,000 Lebanese Jewish citizens registered to vote participated in the municipal elections. Virtually none of those registered remains in the country. The lone Jewish voter said that most of the community consists of old women.<SUP>2</SUP>

Ive been back in lebanon for 5 years now but stll havent heard anything about a jewish community, never seen anything about thm on the news,and i no thy dont have anyone representing thm in parliament, i read anothr article which said thyve been living in lebanon since 1000bc, and wen thy emigrated thy didnt go to israel thy went to places wer thr is a large lebanese commuity e.g france, canada,anyway my question is do u thnk we can ever reach the level of tolerance tht we had b4 the war and have a large jewish community living and participating in politics?, is israel our enemy or all jews even lebanese jews?

i heard there is about 100 jewish in Lebanon they dont say they are jewish they keep it secret

here is a picture taken in 1996 in beirut
Synagogue%20Interior.jpg

JD06

it would be great for lebanon if they could come bak and be treated like any other citizen and to c the synigog in downtown with people in it ,, but if what lubnanalkawi said ,tht thy dont even say their jewish thn i doubt it can happen anytime soon ,maybe when the whole thing with israel ends

GeaGea SkyWalkeR

JD06 said:
it would be great for lebanon if they could come bak and be treated like any other citizen and to c the synigog in downtown with people in it ,, but if what lubnanalkawi said ,tht thy dont even say their jewish thn i doubt it can happen anytime soon ,maybe when the whole thing with israel ends

Most of them have probably settled down in israel, like most other jews, Afircan jews, european jews, american jews, indian jews, aisians jews, ,, Maybe they like it better, Who knows, any credable sources on this,

mount_amel

JD06 said:

Oh yeh , bashing hizbollah agian and blame him for the disappearance of jewish community in lebanon although we had a civil war between all people in lebanon which one side supported the israelis and the other side were anti-israelis and Hizbollah mashalah are the only ones who were anti-israelis !!!

Man , all of you wake up and stop spreading western propogandas on us left and right.

PS: Hizbollah was behind the murdering of all christians in jabal and east beirut. They used to kill people on check points.

Salam
Hizbollah didnt do

JD06

mount_amel said:
Oh yeh , bashing hizbollah agian and blame him for the disappearance of jewish community in lebanon although we had a civil war between all people in lebanon which one side supported the israelis and the other side were anti-israelis and Hizbollah mashalah are the only ones who were anti-israelis !!!

Man , all of you wake up and stop spreading western propogandas on us left and right.

PS: Hizbollah was behind the murdering of all christians in jabal and east beirut. They used to kill people on check points.

Salam
Hizbollah didnt do

first of all the thread has nothing to do with hizballah , the question i asked was do u thnk tht the jewish community if thy came bak,would b treated as normal lebanese or differently becuz of wat happened with israel, thts it , i dont care y thy left, but unfortunalty thts the only part tht u seemed to notice, maybe its my fault i should have deleted the part about hizballah so as not to hurt ur fealings, by the way who keeps bashing hizballah if anything thr defended more than aoun on this forum

mount_amel

JD06 said:
first of all the thread has nothing to do with hizballah , the question i asked was do u thnk tht the jewish community if thy came bak,would b treated as normal lebanese or differently becuz of wat happened with israel, thts it , i dont care y thy left, but unfortunalty thts the only part tht u seemed to notice, maybe its my fault i should have deleted the part about hizballah so as not to hurt ur fealings, by the way who keeps bashing hizballah if anything thr defended more than aoun on this forum

My dear brother ,

I am not defending Hizbollah as much as i am correcting the harsh-untrue propoganda against Hizbollah.

In your thread my friend , you mentioned that Hizbollah killed what is left from jews in bierut and this is absolutely untrue. Then you asked wether the jews can come back practicing thier relegion freely !! Hmmm .. first you bash hibzollha by false propoganda and then you question yourself wether Hizbollah can let any jews enter lebanon?? !!

Salam

Omega80

It would be great PR honestly for Lebanon if Lebanese Jews were able to return and live in dignity, and why not? Aren't they Lebanese as well?

It's about time we get rid of our prejudices which will help the country to move forward...

Motorcity

Lebanese Jews are now mostly pressent in Israel, Italy(Milan) & france!

They left during the civil war, a war that witnessed the killing & kidnapping of Lebanese from all other sects without any distinction!!

They are free to return to Lebanon at any time, nothing prevents them from actually returning.

Qandahar

Legendary Member
the Jews of Lebanon was against creation of the state of Israel in 1948...

they was at the same level as anyone in Lebanon my mum sayd to me that my grandfather worked with jews he had toy shop there was jews in Tripoli and they was good business man but after the war in 1975 they moved outside Lebanon most of them to Canada... thats really bad i hope one day they come back to theire country... but the problem is not only in Lebanon the bigest problem is israel they would never let it happend think about it an Arab country who have jews and presented in the government this is a war on The State of Israel

there are many arab countries that they have jews like Yemen & Morocco

there is a documentary (NBN) ''Tawa2ef Lubnan, The Jews'' its very interesting if u have'nt seen it do it...

and here i found book on the internet i dont no if its good or not but it look interesting...
1845190572.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
“An outstanding sociopolitical history of the Jewish community of Lebanon. Highly recommended.” Choice

“Dr Schulze uses a rich panoply of sources to provide a comprehensive discourse on the social, economic, political, cultural and religious aspects of the life of the Jews of Lebanon. She succeeds in placing the Jewish community in the broader context of Lebanese and Middle Eastern politics, and makes a highly significant and substantive contribution to the study on minorities in the Middle East.” From the foreword by Professor Avi Shlaim, St Antony’s College, Oxford

This is the first book to tell the story of the Jews of Lebanon in the twentieth century. It challenges the prevailing view that Jews everywhere in the Middle East were second-class citizens, and were persecuted after the establishment of the State of Israel in 1948. The Jews of Lebanon were just one of Lebanon’s 23 minorities with the same rights and privileges, and subject to the same political tensions.

JD06

mount_amel said:
My dear brother ,

I am not defending Hizbollah as much as i am correcting the harsh-untrue propoganda against Hizbollah.

In your thread my friend , you mentioned that Hizbollah killed what is left from jews in bierut and this is absolutely untrue. Then you asked wether the jews can come back practicing thier relegion freely !! Hmmm .. first you bash hibzollha by false propoganda and then you question yourself wether Hizbollah can let any jews enter lebanon?? !!

Salam
ya khaye read the thread properly,(i did not write ths , it is a article i found, what i wrote is in orange), its doesnt say hizbollah killed the remaining jews, it says thy killed 4 , hala2 whether thts true or not i dont no( maybe thy deserved to die,maybe thy wer plotting against thm , i dont no) bas thts not the case, and where did i question whether hizbollah can let jews return? i asked for ur opinion do u thnk thy will be treated like thy wer b4 the war by all lebanese ,in othr words do u thnk some ppl wouldnt want thm to return?
motorcity i basicaly agree with u bas i thnk tht will only happen in a perfect world wer everyone lives happily ever after, in reality the jewish community is scared to speak up,to ask for its mp( the have 1 for being a minority), thy dont participate in elections, so obviously thyr scared of something or someone
anyway thnks 4 ur replys

JD06

LubnanALkawi said:
the Jews of Lebanon was against creation of the state of Israel in 1948...

they was at the same level as anyone in Lebanon my mum sayd to me that my grandfather worked with jews he had toy shop there was jews in Tripoli and they was good business man but after the war in 1975 they moved outside Lebanon most of them to Canada... thats really bad i hope one day they come back to theire country... but the problem is not only in Lebanon the bigest problem is israel they would never let it happend think about it an Arab country who have jews and presented in the government this is a war on The State of Israel

there are many arab countries that they have jews like Yemen & Morocco

there is a documentary (NBN) ''Tawa2ef Lubnan, The Jews'' its very interesting if u have'nt seen it do it...

and here i found book on the internet i dont no if its good or not but it look interesting...
1845190572.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
“An outstanding sociopolitical history of the Jewish community of Lebanon. Highly recommended.” Choice

“Dr Schulze uses a rich panoply of sources to provide a comprehensive discourse on the social, economic, political, cultural and religious aspects of the life of the Jews of Lebanon. She succeeds in placing the Jewish community in the broader context of Lebanese and Middle Eastern politics, and makes a highly significant and substantive contribution to the study on minorities in the Middle East.” From the foreword by Professor Avi Shlaim, St Antony’s College, Oxford

This is the first book to tell the story of the Jews of Lebanon in the twentieth century. It challenges the prevailing view that Jews everywhere in the Middle East were second-class citizens, and were persecuted after the establishment of the State of Israel in 1948. The Jews of Lebanon were just one of Lebanon’s 23 minorities with the same rights and privileges, and subject to the same political tensions.

thnks alot , il try to find the book , the reason im so interested is becuz it opened up a large history and a different view of lebanon and jewish people tht i hadnt evn known lived here and had a important role only 40 years ago

blackhawk

i agree with you all if they are lebanese then they should come back to lebanon this is their country as well and they belong to lebanon not to their religion ...

Qandahar

Legendary Member
JD06 said:
thnks alot , il try to find the book , the reason im so interested is becuz it opened up a large history and a different view of lebanon and jewish people tht i hadnt evn known lived here and had a important role only 40 years ago

maybe we should do something not that they must come back because everyone know they cant be safe in this country

maybe we should do something like to let them remember that they are Lebanese there is alot of jews Patriotic who belive only in theire country...

Orangina

Legendary Member
LubnanALkawi said:
maybe we should do something not that they must come back because everyone know they cant be safe in this country

maybe we should do something like to let them remember that they are Lebanese there is alot of jews Patriotic who belive only in theire country...

so what do you suggest to do??

Jews will not come to live in lebanon right now....it is risky for them!

Haruun

Thank you for opening the thread. I have been working so hard on a project for quite some time now dealing with Lebanese Jews. I have lots of pictures incase anybody is interested and that book you guy’s highlighted, by Shultz is a second edition and I think it will be available by March 30.

Actually, most of the Lebanese Jews immigrated not to Israel but to communities that already housed large Lebanese communities. I’ve heard of significant communities in Canada (I think Montreal), South America, France, etc.

A very famous and successful Lebanese Jewish family is the Safra family, search Edmond Safra and I’m sure you will find lot’s of information.

I have lots of resources and I will add them here in a minute.

Haruun

Here are some of the threads I created in the past highlighting this very important issue.

Where do we stand regarding our Jewish brothers in Lebanon? I have inquired many times in regards to the dwindling perhaps s non-existent Jewish community in Lebanon but to no avail. We all speak about national unity and coexistence, this is a community that has been neglected and forgotten not only by the government and political class but also by its own people. It’s amazing to me that nobody even cares and we all speak about principle, an entire sect has been lost.

There exist two reasons why the community is forgotten:
• Narrow mindedness and assumptions that the Jewish community is associated with the State of Israel
• Ignorance and prejudice, pure hatred based on unsubstantiated beliefs and extreme points of view.

Both arguments are unfounded. I am not here to say that General Aoun and the FPM should march in the street and demand the Jewish community returns, is protected, etc. This isn’t a political responsibility; this is a moral and national responsibility that every single Lebanese who dares to speak of national unity and coexistence needs to speak about. A prerequisite towards genuine national unity is for the declaration of mutual respect and integrity of all Lebanon’s religious groups; after all, Lebanon is a nation of minorities. Based on past experience I’m sure many of you don’t give a damn but please, the next time anyone speaks of national unity just keep this forgotten sect on your conscience.

What can we do as Lebanese, as human beings to solve this problem?

http://www.lfpm.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8709

Where is Lebanon's 18 sect? The Lebanese Jews... people I am extremely sympathetic towards are nowhere to be found. I have been searching and asking everywhere for more information about our brethren. How big is the community today and will they come back from abroad? What is the status of the Magan Avraham Synagogue in Beirut? Are there other Jewish establishments in Lebanon?

I think when we speak of TRUE national unity we should be true and genuine; we cannot forget nor neglect our Jewish brethren. Any post or comment is welcome. Anything about their histroy, origin, affiliations, anything significant, anything. If anyone knows of any Jewish brothers that I could speak to that would be extremely appreciated.

http://www.lfpm.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3288