• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Jiu Jitsu / Martial arts

Chingon

Orange Room Supporter
I've practiced different martial arts for a long time. In the last few years I've taken up Jiu Jitsu and think it was one of the best decisions I've made. Jiu Jitsu in short is the art of defending yourself against a stronger and bigger opponent by using various different techniques, whether in standing position or on ground. It originated in Japan and a Brazilian took it back to Brazil, refined the techniques and then introduced it in the US. It gained a lot of popularity when an almost unknown Royce Gracie won the first ever UFC tournament, beating much bigger and stronger opponents.

It's fun, makes you incredibly fit, and most importantly develops good relationships with people from all ages and background.

In our gym I've seen many bullied kids come in, and turn their lives around by practicing this art. It gave them the self confidence they needed and then applied in their daily lives. I've also seen uber macho men come in and get humbled in their first session. I remember a particular guy who looked like a bodybuilder, came in for his first session and was talking crap in the changing area about one of the girls in the team. Little did he know that she was a high level purple belt, our instructor made him spar with her, she put him in a choke under a minute. We never saw that guy again, but I'm sure this experience would have made a positive impact on him.

The discipline and humbling aspect of martial arts have always fascinated me. The psychological impact of jiu jitsu in particular is a thing I am deeply interested in. Why is it good to feel ok to be uncomfortable? How does putting a training partner in a choke create comradeship and discipline?

I wonder if any of the members here have practiced martial arts, I'd be interested to read their insights. Also would be cool to see, since many here have kids, whether they would consider enrolling their kids in martial arts classes.

Chingon

Orange Room Supporter
I strongly support that kids, boys and girls, practice martial arts, except of course if they don't want it.

Personally I would set a high grade belt as the minimum requirement for my kids.

Its a tricky one because I wouldn't want to impose things but there are a lot of life lessons they will learn while being healthy.

With bullying rising everywhere in the world, shouldn't this be part of the education curriculum by now?

Self confidence and discipline leads to standing up to bullies whilst not bullying.

Notorious

First of his Name
Orange Room Supporter
I’ve practiced Judo and Karate in my younger years then Boxing, Muay Thai, and a bit of wrestling more recently.(I am also a fan of the UFC.)

In my humble opinion, the two best martial arts are Jiu Jitsu, and Muay Thai. Jiu Jitsu is hands down the best martial arts for a one on one combat and Gracie proved it in the early UFC days. For protection against more than one opponent (getting mugged on the street) Muay Thai will be a great tool to summon.

A runner up would be Judo. I practiced Judo at a young age and many of the essential basic techniques became innate in my and as an adult I was able to outwrestle opponents significantly bigger and heavier than me. Additionally, my MMA instructor was initially a Judo champion before taking on other sports and won several of his professional fights in the first round using Judo techniques and eventually made it to the UFC.

For my kid, I am leaning mostly towards Jiu jitsu for three main reasons. It will teach him how to defend himself effectively, but unlike Muay Thai, it will also teach him more about respect and discipline. Last but not least, he will receive less hits on the head which would eventually happen if he started sparring in Muay Thai or boxing.

Chingon

Orange Room Supporter
I’ve practiced Judo and Karate in my younger years then Boxing, Muay Thai, and a bit of wrestling more recently.(I am also a fan of the UFC.)

In my humble opinion, the two best martial arts are Jiu Jitsu, and Muay Thai. Jiu Jitsu is hands down the best martial arts for a one on one combat and Gracie proved it in the early UFC days. For protection against more than one opponent (getting mugged on the street) Muay Thai will be a great tool to summon.

A runner up would be Judo. I practiced Judo at a young age and many of the essential basic techniques became innate in my and as an adult I was able to outwrestle opponents significantly bigger and heavier than me. Additionally, my MMA instructor was initially a Judo champion before taking on other sports and won several of his professional fights in the first round using Judo techniques and eventually made it to the UFC.

For my kid, I am leaning mostly towards Jiu jitsu for three main reasons. It will teach him how to defend himself effectively, but unlike Muay Thai, it will also teach him more about respect and discipline. Last but not least, he will receive less hits on the head which would eventually happen if he started sparring in Muay Thai or boxing.

That's awesome! I'm a big UFC fan.

I completely agree, Jiu Jitsu is the best on the ground, Muay Thai stand up. Wrestling is a different animal, the cardio involved is insane. Respect for doing it.

With Judo and Jiu Jitsu there a lot of crossover. Judo helps a lot with the takedowns where most Jiu Jitsu fights start. In my gym sadly we don't start a lot from standing, unless training for comps. Is your MMA instructor Ronda Rousey by any chance? 😍

Completely agree with hits to the head in Muay Thai and boxing. I would still do some basic stand up, pads and drills. As for your kid, they really shouldn't be sparring hard until a later age. I have mixed feelings about putting kids in Muay Thai fights from an early age. On one hand the exposure to wins and dealing with losses is great for character building, but the hits to the head, even though with head guards could be brutal. Starting with Jiu Jitsu is probably the best. Oss!

Notorious

First of his Name
Orange Room Supporter
That's awesome! I'm a big UFC fan.

I completely agree, Jiu Jitsu is the best on the ground, Muay Thai stand up. Wrestling is a different animal, the cardio involved is insane. Respect for doing it.

With Judo and Jiu Jitsu there a lot of crossover. Judo helps a lot with the takedowns where most Jiu Jitsu fights start. In my gym sadly we don't start a lot from standing, unless training for comps. Is your MMA instructor Ronda Rousey by any chance? 😍

Completely agree with hits to the head in Muay Thai and boxing. I would still do some basic stand up, pads and drills. As for your kid, they really shouldn't be sparring hard until a later age. I have mixed feelings about putting kids in Muay Thai fights from an early age. On one hand the exposure to wins and dealing with losses is great for character building, but the hits to the head, even though with head guards could be brutal. Starting with Jiu Jitsu is probably the best. Oss!
Hahaha I wish it was Rousey!!! 😅

I’m in total agreement with you when it comes to the sports and of course hitting the pads or a boxing bag is not a bad idea to at least develop the proper technique and some reflexes. Very exciting times ahead I’m looking forward to this with my son 😍.

Good to know someone else has similar interests :)!!

Notorious

First of his Name
Orange Room Supporter
in real life confrontations, no rules
So you’re saying that you take a guy that’s been practicing Muay Thai for three years and a guy who has not taken any (Proper) martial arts ever, and place them in a street fight. His skills disappear because there are “no” rules?

So you’re saying that you take a guy that’s been practicing Muay Thai for three years and a guy who has not taken any (Proper) martial arts ever, and place them in a street fight. His skills disappear because there are “no” rules?
No my hasty Ned Stark, what I refer to as street fight, does not resemble the idea you have of "street fight" in movies.
I'll correct the term, a "fight in the street" now, here's where you're wrong: you cannot "place them in a street fight"
fights in the streets or bullying or whatever you want to call it .. are not "prepared" fights, they sprout by chance and out of nowhere and without a warning,
and you can never ever predict how a fight in the street will occur and how it will end, no matter how much you try, you won't be able to pin point the procedure of an incident you'll face on the street.

Muay Thai, JuiJitsu are fights with discipline and rules !! "fights that occur out of nowhere on the street have no predefined rules, conditions" ...
the simplest of examples would be: your attacker might be in a psychological condition to attack you because, I don't know, he had a bad day since the early morning while you passing by the street might not be psychologically ready to fight on this same day, maybe you were in a too happy mind and chilling and not in the mood for a fight
Maybe before you start acting like a monkey, you'll recieve a knife between your eyes or a bullet or a stick on your head out of no where.

Notorious

First of his Name
Orange Room Supporter
No my hasty Ned Stark, what I refer to as street fight, does not resemble the idea you have of "street fight" in movies.
I'll correct the term, a "fight in the street" now, here's where you're wrong: you cannot "place them in a street fight"
fights in the streets or bullying or whatever you want to call it .. are not "prepared" fights, they sprout by chance and out of nowhere and without a warning,
and you can never ever predict how a fight in the street will occur and how it will end, no matter how much you try, you won't be able to pin point the procedure of an incident you'll face on the street.

Muay Thai, JuiJitsu are fights with discipline and rules !! "fights that occur out of nowhere on the street have no predefined rules, conditions" ...
the simplest of examples would be: your attacker might be in a psychological condition to attack you because, I don't know, he had a bad day since the early morning while you passing by the street might not be psychologically ready to fight on this same day, maybe you were in a too happy mind and chilling and not in the mood for a fight
Maybe before you start acting like a monkey, you'll recieve a knife between your eyes or a bullet or a stick on your head out of no where.
Of course Muay Thai doesn’t make you bullet proof. But if I get jumped by two or three guys out of the blue, I will stand a better chance than had i never trained. First of all, I know how to, avoid a hit or take a hit. Second of all I know how to hit. And for your information, I’ve gotten into several street fights. (No not as an extra in a movie ;)).

Go try and stab Conor McGregor or Khabib Nurmagomedov. Even with a knife they will mess you up 9 out of 10 times.

Go try and stab Conor McGregor or Khabib Nurmagomedov. Even with a knife they will mess you up 9 out of 10 times.
if and only if, they're expecting you to hit with a knife ... see you're not understanding what I meant, these two pussies !! can't get in a real fight.
they're not allowed to do so ... by their employers of course ... UFC is a new form of WWE ... it is up to you to believe it or not ...
entertainment people, especially in "fight" entertainment have a short life span .. this is a business side behind the curtains that the hot blooded you
cannot see. There's a lot of preparation and conditioning that go before an upcoming UFC fight or tournament

Notorious

First of his Name
Orange Room Supporter
if and only if, they're expecting you to hit with a knife ... see you're not understanding what I meant, these two pussies !! can't get in a real fight.
they're not allowed to do so ... by their employers of course ... UFC is a new form of WWE ... it is up to you to believe it or not ...
entertainment people, especially in "fight" entertainment have a short life span .. this is a business side behind the curtains that the hot blooded you
cannot see. There's a lot of preparation and conditioning that go before an upcoming UFC fight or tournament
You’re right. His technique will not count for much in a street fight. They’re at the same level as some dude who’s never thrown a punch in his life.

Well I don't think there's a dude who never threw a punch in his entire life, unless he's not a dude.
Look, I know that maybe it is in your favor or the OP favor to raise such topics, in order to get their business running and make money.
it is a natural way of marketing a business, I understand that but I too have an opinion to throw in ... because in my opinion, violence leads to
more violence, it doesn't end it, especially when kids are the target ... if you have a bully kid who is bullying other kids, it is a psychological problem 9 times out of 10.
worth saying, that fight games has made its business owners millions of dollars, from media coverage to betting on fighters to fashion wear to gym clients and sales of supplement products. However, the down side of it, this will, with time, increase violence in society, schools, universities and solve even the smallest dispute in such manner

Chingon

Orange Room Supporter
Well I don't think there's a dude who never threw a punch in his entire life, unless he's not a dude.
Look, I know that maybe it is in your favor or the OP favor to raise such topics, in order to get their business running and make money.
it is a natural way of marketing a business, I understand that but I too have an opinion to throw in ... because in my opinion, violence leads to
more violence, it doesn't end it, especially when kids are the target ... if you have a bully kid who is bullying other kids, it is a psychological problem 9 times out of 10.
worth saying, that fight games has made its business owners millions of dollars, from media coverage to betting on fighters to fashion wear to gym clients and sales of supplement products. However, the down side of it, this will, with time, increase violence in society, schools, universities and solve even the smallest dispute in such manner

Ha I don't own a business to market mate I don't know what you're on about.

A kid who is a bully will also benefit from martial arts by being disciplined and learning to only use their skills for self defence.

Fighting is definitely big business but that's been the case throughout human history. It's in our nature and I don't think it's a bad thing

to give a platform to people to do it in a safe environment.

You've got the wrong idea of martial arts, the purpose is not to get into street fights, far from it, and you should avoid street fights if you can.

But if you know street fights, they almost always end up on the ground. If you have good jiu jitsu skills then you will win the fight 9 out of 10 times.

I can easily predict that for several reasons. Most people who do martial arts end up doing hard sparring or enter competitions.

Competitions can emulate the same situation you would go through in a street fight.

A martial artist can asses the situation better than your average joe, can handle the pressure and not exhaust themselves in the first 30 seconds of a fight, which almost all regular people do when they get into a street fight.

As "The End" mentioned if you have good muay thai skills its very likely you can hold back 2 or 3 people, obviously if they're unarmed but most people don't walk around with guns and knives. If there are 4 people against you, you should just run, even if you're a high level MMA fighter.

Chingon

Orange Room Supporter

If you combine the two, you end up with almost no rules. That's MMA for you.

I don't think you understand the damage you can cause with these disciplines.

Yes in Jiu Jitsu the opponent can tap and I'll let go of a choke.

In a street fight, no rules mean that I'm not gonna let go of the choke until they go to sleep. Probably the safest way to end a street fight.