• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Joyce Azzam reached top of South America (Altitude 6962m)

Jo

Administrator
Master Penguin
I think she is the first Lebanese Middle Eastern woman to do this.

Joyce Azzam is a Conservation Architect holding a Master’s Degree in Conservation of Historic Cities and Buildings. She is currently a PhD Candidate in Landscape & Environment at La Sapienza University of Rome.
Her love for outdoor activities has unleashed a passion to research innovative approaches to protect and conserve cultural heritage specifically “Cultural Routes & Landscapes.”

As part of her competition achievements, she has ranked first in a 40km trail-running team competition organized by the army, completed the grueling Tour de Suisse cycling, and successfully reached the finishing line for 3 times in the 42km Beirut Marathon. These are but a few of numerous accomplishments she has done both at the national and international levels.
Joyce is on the quest to complete the explorer grand slam and she is passionately eager to become the first Lebanese woman to raise the national flag on the highest summits of the world.

Mountaineering Achievements:

1. Mt Aconcagua, Colera camp, Argentina 6,000 m
2. Mt Kilimanjaro, Tanzania 5,895 m
3. Mount Elbrus, Russia 5,642 m
4. Mt Ararat, Turkey 5,137 m
5. Carstensz Pyramid, Papua New Guinea 4,884 m
6. Mont Blanc, France 4,809 m
7. Mont Maudit, France 4,465 m
8. Mt Whitney, USA 4,424 m
9. Mt Massive, USA 4,398 m
10. Mt Shasta, USA 4,322 m
11. Mont Blanc du Tacul, France 4,248 m
12. Bishorn, Switzerland 4,153 m
13. Allalinhorn, Switzerland 4,027 m
14. Pollux, Italy 4,092 m
15. El Mulhacen, Spain 3,479 m
16. Qornet Es Saouda, Lebanon 3,088 m
17. Mt Agung, Bali Indonesia 3,031 m
18. Gran Sasso, Corno Grande, Italy 2,919 m
19. Gran Sasso, Corno Piccolo, Italy 2,822 m
20. Half Dome, Yosemite CA, USA 2,694 m
21. Mt Kosciuszko, Australia 2,228 m

And more to come…

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
Thanking PMA.

Another achievement for the 3ahed? @Skunk: @LVV;

Poll suggestions

1. Bassil carried her all the way to the top by himself
2. She was inspired by Bassil's passion when he planted a cross atop of the mountain
3. Bassil signed a paper promising her wizaret dawle lil sho2oun el3ulya if she reaches the top, then reneged

:)

GrumpForTrump

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Good for her. But what's the point of all this? Woll this solve world hunger or bring peace to the Middle East? It's just an ego trip.

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
Orange Room Supporter
Good for her. But what's the point of all this? Woll this solve world hunger or bring peace to the Middle East? It's just an ego trip.
Why u hating bruh?? Enno theres a lebanese woman achieving something else ither than the civer of mondanité during a night in some night club.

Give ut a break

GrumpForTrump

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Why u hating bruh?? Enno theres a lebanese woman achieving something else ither than the civer of mondanité during a night in some night club.

Give us a break

I just don't get the idea of these adventures.

Who cares if you climb Mount Everest or cross the Atlantic Ocean in a kayak. What does this achieve for humanity?
It's the sports version of "my penis is bigger than yours".

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
Orange Room Supporter
I just don't get the idea of these adventures.

Who cares if you climb Mount Everest or cross the Atlantic Ocean in a kayak. What does this achieve for humanity?
It's the sports version of "my penis is bigger than yours".
So basicaly her penis is bigger than urs? Thats the issue?? :p

The Bidenator

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter

An ego trip is having an achievement and denigrating everyone else for not having it...

She might not solve world hunger or bring peace to the world, but she may support a charity of her choice, for example.

Or, she can help your country economically (and your ungrateful ass in the process), by promoting Lebanon abroad (through her achievements), improving the country's image and luring foreigners to visit.

Jo

Administrator
Master Penguin
6 out of the 7 highest mountains in the world, achieved!

Mount Vinson was challenging; Mount Vinson was tough; Mount Vinson was freezing... But it is Lebanon's belief in me that helped me climb the highest peak of Antarctica and raise the flag of my beloved country on its summit! I can't be prouder and can't thank enough those who are behind this dream coming true Saad Hariri, Alfa Telecommunications and FutureTV Group

6 done 1 to go - Everest get ready for the first Lebanese woman reaching your summit!

Danny Z

Legendary Member
These are just funny to make the list, no sannine no zaarour?

16. Qornet Es Saouda, Lebanon 3,088 m
17. Mt Agung, Bali Indonesia 3,031 m
18. Gran Sasso, Corno Grande, Italy 2,919 m
19. Gran Sasso, Corno Piccolo, Italy 2,822 m
20. Half Dome, Yosemite CA, USA 2,694 m
21. Mt Kosciuszko, Australia 2,228 m

But reaching Aconcagua is actually a great accomplishment, it is know as being the Mountain of death with the highest rate of death in South American climbing, it is not technically difficult, but is complicated logistically, you need days of winter camping, carrying a 20 kg backpack, high aerobic capacity with a few months of training. There are high winds on your way, ever changing weather. It is in the Top 10 of the most difficult in the world. The toughest being in the Himalayas, followed by the Alps region then you get Denali in Alaska, followed by Cerro

Last edited:

O Brother

Legendary Member
If one got lots of money then sure they can be adventures..a life not everyone can afford.. not saying climbing high mountains is not dangerous but it seems way better than sitting behind a desk everyday :p

I think many would have the courage to go on a adventure.. heck for many this would be a dream.. but also money is obstacle for many!

just saying ...

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
Orange Room Supporter
If one got lots of money then sure they can be adventures..a life not everyone can afford.. not saying climbing high mountains is not dangerous but it seems way better than seating behind a desk everyday :p

I think many would have the courage to go on a adventure.. heck for many this would be a dream.. but also money is obstacle for many!

just saying ...
Thats why u get sponsors usually

Danny Z

Legendary Member
If one got lots of money then sure they can be adventures..a life not everyone can afford.. not saying climbing high mountains is not dangerous but it seems way better than sitting behind a desk everyday :p

just saying ...

Actually, if you bag a few of them relatively easy ones, that don't cost much, then you can climb another with some financial support from sponsors, like North Face, ArcTeryx etc. You can also have your own charity and gather money that finances your climb and donate the reamaining to a charity wordly cause of your choosing, not everybody who climbs has outrageous amounts of money and Joyce is one of them. She grew up in a family of 5, during the war she lived the horror, in shelter's sometimes, they move houses sometimes, many here can related to that war stories. Her master’s degrees- one in Interior Architecture from the Lebanese University (Not some outrageous expensive Lebanese private university where you buy your way to a degree), and two in Italy- second Governance Models & Management of Local Public System from the University of Perugia, and the third one is in Conservation of Historic Cities and Buildings from La Sapienza University of Rome (all based on grants and scholarships, not baba w mama). She also has PhD in Landscape and Environment from La Sapienza University of Rome.