Kanye West and by extension Black race #ourchoice moment

• Thread starter HannaTheCrusader
  • Start date
Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
Orange Room Supporter
Ironically, not being Black myself, I've been thinking about it for years - why Blacks chose self-inflicted slavery instead of freedom.

Let's hope that we will have an answer soon as well as change in Blacks's attitude.
Care to explain exactly how black people CHOSE slavery?

[... You will notice there was no mention of neurons this time :p...]

• Advertisement
  • AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I would have to read / hear that sentence in context.
    He said "When you hear about slavery for 400 years ... for 400 years? That sounds like a choice."

Everytime he has an album coming out, he goes on TV and makes a controversial statement to get media exposure.

It's a good strategy. But sometimes it backfires.

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    He said "When you hear about slavery for 400 years ... for 400 years? That sounds like a choice."

Everytime he has an album coming out, he goes on TV and makes a controversial statement to get media exposure.

He's like the ziad el rahbani of the united states except Ziad is slightly more coherent, by slightly I mean a lot more!

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    He's like the ziad el rahbani of the united states except Ziad is slightly more coherent, by slightly I mean a lot more!
    Ziad is more consistent because his statements stem from his actual beliefs. They're not marketing tactics. (Although he appears to be hungry for media attention lately.)

I love Kanye, though. I think deep down he's a really decent person, and also one of the greatest artists of the century.

I'll hate on Kim forever for having stolen him. :/

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    Ziad is more consistent because his statements stem from his actual beliefs. They're not marketing tactics. (Although he appears to be hungry for media attention lately.)

I love Kanye, though. I think deep down he's a really decent person, and also one of the greatest artists of the century.

I'll hate on Kim forever for having stolen him. :/
    Hmm I do like the sample of bam bam since it's one of my all time favourites Seh what a bam bam bam bam dilla bam bam

Can't say I listen to his music all that much though, when I think Kanye it's mostly about his ridiculous feud with Taylor swift, his marriage to Kim Kardashian, his nervous breakdown , him saying slavery is a choice and being a trump supporter! So mostly drama! For me he's the Jeffree star of the music world (this joke is wasted outside of beauty guru chatter :p)

Edit:

Bam bam for context :p

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter

This video still offers nothing but soundbites. But even in the soundbites, there's a hint of what I suspected he meant.

He's not claiming that black people chose to become slaves. He's just saying that they had 400 years to rebel and free themselves* and they did not, because the slave mentality became so ingrained in them. I'm guessing he was trying to say that some people in the Black community still haven't completely shed that mentality.

*In contrast, slaves in Haiti did rebel and were the first to gain their freedom.

So yeah...his statement is much more nuanced than what people are making it out to be. He's not saying that Black people are responsible for slavery, only that they should be responsible for their own freedom (if not in the past, then at least today).

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    This video still offers nothing but soundbites. But even in the soundbites, there's a hint of what I suspected he meant.

He's not claiming that black people chose to become slaves. He's just saying that they had 400 years to rebel and free themselves* and they did not, because the slave mentality became so ingrained in them. I'm guessing he was trying to say that some people in the Black community still haven't cometely shed that mentality.

*In contrast, slaves in Haiti did rebel and were the first to gain their freedom.

So yeah...his statement is much more nuanced than what people are making it out to be.
    Though probably well-intentioned, I think what he said was quite insensitive and oblivious to the sacrifices of his ancestors who fought and gave their lives for the black community.

It took them 400 years because they were an oppressed minority in a racist white society that viewed slavery as normal.

It's not slavery that was ingrained in black people. It's racism and white supremacy that was deep-rooted in Americans.

Hell they even started a civil war because they wanted to preserve the institution of slavery.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Though probably well-intentioned, I think what he said was quite insensitive and oblivious to the sacrifices of his ancestors who fought and gave their lives for the black community.

It took them 400 years because they were an oppressed minority in a racist white society that viewed slavery as normal.

It's not slavery that was ingrained in black people. It's racism and white supremacy that was deep-rooted in Americans.

Hell they even started a civil war because they wanted to preserve the institution of slavery.
    The civil war started because half of the Whites wanted to abolish slavery.

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter

Have you ever seen the full video of that interview? He goes on rant after rant that made me seriously worry about his mental health! Seriously beyond the slavery is a choice comment he went on to say that people should forget about history and that reality is a choice and how people should make their own realities whatever the hell that means after he was confronted about his comments being so unbelievably tone deaf and out of touch!

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

Legendary Member
    Care to explain exactly how black people CHOSE slavery?

[... You will notice there was no mention of neurons this time :p...]
    Short version - instead of trying to achieve and break out of poverty and out of dependency, majority just gets government subsidies constantly upped by Democrats and dutifully vote for the Democratic master to give more food.

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    Short version - instead of trying to achieve and break out of poverty and out of dependency, majority just gets government subsidies constantly upped by Democrats and dutifully vote for the Democratic master to give more food.
    You do know that government subsidies and all kinds of welfare programmes available for poor people goes mostly to white people, most of which actually vote republicans right? It's like shooting yourself in the foot! You benefit from something specifically aimed to benefit you but then you vote against the people whose policies made this help available to you in the first place! In case my comment wasn't painfully obvious: are poorer white folks in the Bible belt also "choosing to be slaves for their democrat masters" despite voting for republicans and against their own self interest?

But regardless, that still doesn't explain exactly how black people CHOSE to be enslaved and you spending so many years thinking about that choice!

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    The civil war started because half of the Whites wanted to abolish slavery.
    The Ottomans ruled Lebanon for 400 years. Does that mean we chose occupation?

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    There is no link between what you quoted and your response.
    To answer your question, I don't think White Americans deserve any credit for ending what they started.

In any case, the Civil War didn't end the discrimination against blacks.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    To answer your question, I don't think White Americans deserve any credit for ending what they started.
    Do you know who started selling Black slaves to Americans? Other Black Africans.

Also, not everyone in America had slaves or supported slavery.

That does not excuse the Whites who took part in that horror. Nor is anyone claiming that Blacks deserved to be enslaved. Simply, history, as well as Kanye's statements, are more nuanced than what soundbite ideologues portray them as.

Kanye shouldn't have used the word "choose" because it does not appropriately describe what he seems to be saying.

In any case, the Civil War didn't end the discrimination against blacks.
    And just like during the civil war, many Whites fought to end discrimination during the civil rights era.

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    Just to clear up the misconception in this thread:
    Origins of the American Civil War - Wikipedia

The civil war started because 7 southern states (the confederacy) wanted to secede specifically because they weren't allowed to bring slavery into the western territory, where slaves were already free!

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    "Weren't allowed."

By who? Meditate on that.
    I'm sorry history is more nuanced than "The civil war started because half of the Whites wanted to abolish slavery."

Meditate on that :p

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I'm sorry history is more nuanced than "The civil war started because half of the Whites wanted to abolish slavery."

Meditate on that :p
    I don't need to meditate on that. I already know that.

But that does not counter any statements I made.