• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Lebanese Canadian Bank dramatic fate..

• Thread starter Prince Of Tides
  • Start date
>Watani<

>Watani<

أكبر من أن يُبلعْ وأصغر من أن يقسّم
Orange Room Supporter
Those "articles" are serious stuff, they should not be taken lightly.
Because they are true! Such Stuff forced us to choose Mi 2ati instead of Ousama Saad for example... These Stuff were the paper that Hariri chose to play when he lose the government.

But we cannot generalize like the article in " Wall Street Journal '', not all the sector is full of money-laundering!

Another note, all countries are full of money-laundering and terrorism, I know that because I'm always updated by a large list of names.

• Advertisement
  • elias-aj

elias-aj

Legendary Member
    Given the fact that most part of the State's debts is held by the Lebanese Banks and that our economy is more or less surviving thanks to the high level of deposits in our Banks... the US might destroy the country by only targetting the Lebanese banks like they did with the LCB.

Now the questions that could be raised are the following ones :

- Would they launch a massive attack against our banking system ?
    - To which extent could they do that - ie without hurting their "partners" and in gathering support from other major interested countries (KSA, Gulf States, European states etc.) ?
    - Wouldn't some limited attacks cause the fall of the new Government given the huge threat it poses to our economy and our country, forcing us to accept to compromise with 13Th March political parties ?
    - Do we have the means to "resist" a massive attack against our bank sector ?

The real problem is not the existence of money laundering. This phenomenon exist everywhere and every bank is concerned, including in the US (especially in the US). What is also funny is that the most concerned banking sector in the middle east with the money laundering phenomenon is Israel... No, our problem is the LCB precedent - accusation, administrative and provisional sanctions which are enough to create a big mess.

In my opinion and for now, it's some kind of pressure on Mikati which means that its room for manoeuvre is more than limited...

Amirkani

Amirkani

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Sure they are serious... but don't seem alarming to me. From the tone of the article, I would guesstimate that it might be a paid-for lobbying effort against the new government. You know I have a nose for lobbying efforts :)

There might be additional isolated measures taken against other banks but only if there are real and proven illegal activities undertaken by the specific bank but I am not alarmed that there will be widespread systematic sanctions against Lebanese financial institutions. And the simple reason why? Because such system-wide sanctions can't spare friends while harming foes.

You don't suppose Hariri or anyone from the Feb 14 gang and their regional and international mentors (who own a good if not the biggest chunk of the Lebanese banks) are as spirited as Samson to bring down the temple on their own heads just to try to undermine the present government, do you?

They will continue lobbying and use these threats as pressure tools on specific politicians... that's about it.

--------------------

Comrade Bassam

Comrade Bassam

Legendary Member
    Neither should our intelligence be!

Lebanon is unbeatable and immortal. They can mess as much as they want. We'll live and act however we wish and do whatever we want in this world.

They can keep crying as much as they wish :)

Call it too much of a poetic argument? Well, prove me wrong :)

Dry Ice

Dry Ice

Legendary Member
    Lebanese Canadian Bank, SGBL sign $600m acquisition deal

June 22, 2011
    The Daily Star

BEIRUT: The acquisition deal between Lebanese-Canadian Bank (LCB) and Société Générale de Banque au Liban (SGBL) has been signed and submitted to the Central Bank for final approval, sources close to the deal told The Daily Star Wednesday.

Although the value of the transaction was not disclosed, sources told The Daily Star that the deal is in the range of $550 million and $600 million.

Four other banks had sought to acquire LCB, but SGBL made the best offer.

Lebanese Canadian was a target of recent accusations by the U.S. Treasury of involvement in money laundering and connection to a terrorist group. However, both the Central Bank and the LCB denied the accusations.

Hameed

Hameed

Interesting article from the NY Times! Ashraf el ness are drug and blood diamond dealers!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/14/w...f-hezbollahs-financing.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2
    If it is the NY TIMES !! ya3neh khalass nezleet bi kteb !!

Lebanese Canadian Bank, SGBL sign $600m acquisition deal

June 22, 2011
    The Daily Star

BEIRUT: The acquisition deal between Lebanese-Canadian Bank (LCB) and Société Générale de Banque au Liban (SGBL) has been signed and submitted to the Central Bank for final approval, sources close to the deal told The Daily Star Wednesday.

Although the value of the transaction was not disclosed, sources told The Daily Star that the deal is in the range of $550 million and $600 million.

Four other banks had sought to acquire LCB, but SGBL made the best offer.

Lebanese Canadian was a target of recent accusations by the U.S. Treasury of involvement in money laundering and connection to a terrorist group. However, both the Central Bank and the LCB denied the accusations.

The best thing to do is that Hizbollah builds a bank for themselves, hek hek the electoral law kil ta2eefeh tentekheeb nouweba. Bravo!! nzallo to2seem bi hal balad la 2ellkoun !!

Kteer 7elo hal mojtama3 el douwaleh bye7mina kteer !!

Ashrafieh_LF

Ashrafieh_LF

If it is the NY TIMES !! ya3neh khalass nezleet bi kteb !!

The best thing to do is that Hizbollah builds a bank for themselves, hek hek the electoral law kil ta2eefeh tentekheeb nouweba. Bravo!! nzallo to2seem bi hal balad la 2ellkoun !!

Kteer 7elo hal mojtama3 el douwaleh bye7mina kteer !!
    Yes, sorry I forgot only Sana and Sham Press are honest and truthful. I think the article presented enough evidence to be credible. They have people in custody in the US for those crimes.
    The lack of responses to the story vouches for its credibility imho...

Hameed

Hameed

Yes, sorry I forgot only Sana and Sham Press are honest and truthful. I think the article presented enough evidence to be credible. They have people in custody in the US for those crimes.
    The lack of responses to the story vouches for its credibility imho...

The US can put anybody they don't like into custody and there are TONS of examples where the US kills, apprehends, kidnaps without proof or anything
    So please spare me the silly play !!
    Actually I can't see how Hizbollah are still tolerating the existence of filthy traitors who work for the destruction of their country, however I know the Shi3a sect doesn't like the WAY OUT OF LINE behavior of these traitors.

O Brother

O Brother

Legendary Member
    just some interesting info from this piece of propaganda documentary