Lebanese Christians role in the creation of Israel

Ice Tea

Ice Tea

As we know, right before the UN final decision for the partition of Palestine, Jews already owned 20% of the cultivated land in Palestine. An often overlooked fact is how Jews acquired those lands. As early as the 1880's Jews fleeing persecution in the Russian Empire were immigrating to Palestine and legally purchasing land. Beirut-based Christian Orthodox families, most notably the Sursocks, owned vast areas of land in Palestine. In 1906 the Sursock family started selling land to the Jewish National Fund and a few years later they sold the Jezreel Valley to the Rothschilds. In total, the Sursocks and other Christian families from Beirut sold more than 600,000 dunams to Jews prior to the UN partition plan, on which 80 settlements were founded.

• Advertisement
  • Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Orange Room Supporter
    As we know, right before the UN final decision for the partition of Palestine, Jews already owned 20% of the cultivated land in Palestine. An often overlooked fact is how Jews acquired those lands. As early as the 1880's Jews fleeing persecution in the Russian Empire were immigrating to Palestine and legally purchasing land. Beirut-based Christian Orthodox families, most notably the Sursocks, owned vast areas of land in Palestine. In 1906 the Sursock family started selling land to the Jewish National Fund and a few years later they sold the Jezreel Valley to the Rothschilds. In total, the Sursocks and other Christian families from Beirut sold more than 600,000 dunams to Jews prior to the UN partition plan, on which 80 settlements were founded.

And the point is?

Ice Tea

Ice Tea

Aside from Rums selling land in Palestine to Jews, the Maronites were also extremely favorable to the Jewish cause and the Maronite Church was openly Zionist. Now that Maronites had become the majority in Mount Lebanon and were contemplating the idea of becoming an independent Christian country, they saw Jews as their allies, as we can see in this interview with the Maronite Archbishop of Beirut in 1946.

Christian Archbishop of Lebanon Says Population of Country Favors Zionism

In an exclusive interview with a Jewish Telegraphic Agency correspondent, addressed specifically to the people of Palestine and the entire world, Monsignor Ignatz Moubar, Archbishop of the Maronite Church in Beirut, a Catholic church whose members comprise a majority of the Christian population of Lebanon, today charged that the sub-committee of the Anglo-American inquiry committee did not hear the true voice of Lebanese public opinion, when it took testimony here.

“If the committee had heard the true voice, it would have heard that voice declaring support of Jewish reconstruction in Palestine–support of Zionism as a symbol of progress and security of all peoples of the Middle East,” Monsignor Moubar declared. He insisted that the Christian majority in Lebanon is not represented in the present Government.

He made it clear that his views also represent those of the Maronite Patriarch, spiritual leader of the Maronite Christian world, “who has often expressed his sympathy with Judaism and Zionism.

Last edited:
    Ice Tea

Ice Tea

Speaking of the ties between Palestine and his country, Monsignor Moubar said that the development of Lebanon is tied up with the development of Palestine. “We Christian Lebanese know this,” he continued. “We realize that Zionism is bringing civilization to Palestine and to the entire Middle East. I am very much in favor of Zionism because I have the good of Palestine at heart. The desire of the Moslem Arabs is to dominate the country and cast out the Christians. I tell you frankly, opposition to Zionism in Palestine means returning the people to the domination of savagery, and the return of the country to that state of anarchy and bribery in which it existed of the height of the Ottoman sultans.

“If anyone in this part of the world has sought to unite all communities, it is I,” he asserted, adding “but I am sorry to state that we have found nothing on the part of the Moslems, except fanaticism, hate, and a desire to dominate the country. You can be sure that in this country, where Christians represent the majority of the population, the great majority of the Christians are against reactionary Arab anti-Zionist opinion, and support the Jews because they have the best relations with them and that together with the Jews they can best work out their salvation.”

LEBANESE CHRISTIANS CONSIDER JEWS IN PALESTINE A SYMBOL OF CIVILIZATION

“We realize,” he continued, “that there is a struggle here between civilization and regression, and the Jews symbolize civilization. We Christian Lebanese have always been pioneers of civilization, not only in Lebanon but in the entire Middle last.”

Warning that the Middle East was witnessing a test case in the march of civilization, he stated: “In the desire of the Jews to rebuild Palestine there burns a very pure flame. We must not extinguish it! The Jews of Palestine and the Christians of Palestine can work together, and if the Moslem Arabs would assist, it would be magnificent, but, unfortunately, they are opposed to anything which means progress. I was in Palestine thirty years ago. It was an arid, forgotten land. I’ve seen it since–I tell you, we Lebanese are jealous of the good fate of Palestine.”

He pointed out that the “Moslem Arabs of Palestine, Damascus, and Beirut sold their land holdings in Palestine to Jews for high prices, and now the Moslem Arabs here wish to regain those lands and cast out the Jews.

“These are my views,” Monsignor Moubar concluded “and I am not afraid to voice them. Last night I was invited to a dinner tendered by the Foreign Ministry to the members of the Anglo-American inquiry committee and I refused to attend, lest my presence give the impression that I agreed with the opinions expressed before the committee.”

At the conclusion of his interview, the Archbishop signed a statement embracing the essence of his remarks, adding “I propose to speak on this subject in the same way from the pulpit, this coming week-end.”

opium

opium

Get over it, Zionists or not, the Lebanese Christians never been major players in macro politics. They cannot even rule themselves.
    Any wise person would chose Israel over any other Islamic country.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    So in ur superior meta historical facts lebanese christians helped create the biggest threat to their existence as a nation.
    I don't think they expected things to go the way they did...but it would make sense for the Christians of that time to be ok with the creation of an Israeli state on their border, after centuries of islamic occupation.

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Orange Room Supporter
    I don't think they expected things to go the way they did...but it would make sense for the Christians of that time to be ok with the creation of an Israeli state on their border, after centuries of islamic occupation.
    An aristocratic family in the ottoman empire selling some godforsaken unusable land, at the time, to make some money is hardly a proof that ”lebanese christians” were zionists.

But for the sake of argument, how would they thik that creating a nation whose borders engulfed theirs would be a boon to them?

Ice Tea

Ice Tea

Of course its in their jeans kello byolbous levi’s m3allim.

So in ur superior meta historical facts lebanese christians helped create the biggest threat to their existence as a nation.

أتحفني بليز مور!

No, the greatest mistake and threath that ever happened to Lebanon was the annexation of majority-Muslim lands and the creation of 'Greater Lebanon'. Lebanon was supposed to be just Mount Lebanon and adjacent Christian areas. Both the French and the general population were against this move, but the Church was still very fearful after the great famine that killed almost half of the Christian population and was afraid the country would be isolated in the region with no allies and such event could happen again.

The_FPMer

The_FPMer

An aristocratic family in the ottoman empire selling some godforsaken unusable land, at the time, to make some money is hardly a proof that ”lebanese christians” were zionists.

But for the sake of argument, how would they thik that creating a nation whose borders engulfed theirs would be a boon to them?
    Most were at that time and it is understandable.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Don't underestimate the role of aristocratic families in politics. Especially during that era.

That being said, it is possible that they personally had no political intentions and were only motivated by business interests.

My comment was about what is being posted here regarding the Christian leadership. I don't know if the claims are true, but if they are, I wouldn't be surprised.

There was never any proposal for an Israeli state that engulfed Lebanese borders.

X

Xynus87

Ever read the book of "The Enemy of my Enemy" by Laura Z. Eisenberg? It explains all of this.

Ice Tea

Ice Tea

Ever read the book of "The Enemy of my Enemy" by Laura Z. Eisenberg? It explains all of this.

I don't think it's just a 'the enemy of my enemy' situation. Middle Eastern Christians in general truly admire Israel, the way they were able to reclaim their lands and develop them is very inspiring. And not just Christians, Alawites used to be like this too, Assad's grandfather wrote a letter to the French prime minister at the time (who was Jewish), expressing his disdain for Muslim Arabs and supporting the establishment of a Jewish state.

X

Xynus87

I don't think it's just a 'the enemy of my enemy' situation. Middle Eastern Christians in general truly admire Israel, the way they were able to reclaim their lands and develop them is very inspiring. And not just Christians, Alawites used to be like this too, Assad's grandfather wrote a letter to the French prime minister at the time (who was Jewish), expressing his disdain for Muslim Arabs and supporting the establishment of a Jewish state.
    "their lands" and so the Palestinians were actually foreign to Palestine?

Manifesto

Manifesto

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter

أتحفني بليز مور!
    But let's be honest here, Israel never threatened the Christians of Lebanon.
    Even during the July War, it targeted only Shiite-majority areas.

I think there's a dormant alliance between Lebanese Christians and Israelis that's waiting to be invoked.

Mukifesto2

Mukifesto2

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter

أتحفني بليز مور!
    Without Israel, the Christians of Lebanon would have been living in New Palestine.

Biggest threat to their existence my ass.

The biggest threat to the existence of Christians in Lebanon are themselves, especially the traitors in their midst. Most of their leadership are backstabbing opportunists with a superiority complex, and with no vision for the future of their community.

Mukifesto2

Mukifesto2

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Yes. Unlike most Lebanese Muslims who seem to have been recently forcedly converted, most Palestinian Muslims seem to be tribal Arabians.
    Lebanese Muslims do not differentiate themselves from Syrians, Palestinians, Jordanians.
    I've been asked "what's the difference between them" in the past by fellow Leb Muzzie.