• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Lebanese female air force pilots & mechanics breaking barriers

Jo

Jo

Administrator
Master Penguin
The Lebanese female air force pilots breaking barriers

_105926945_859265a8-1285-431f-af00-75429600b964.jpg

Most women serving in the Lebanese armed forces work in administrative or logistical roles, but its top commander is trying to change this, the BBC's Eloise Alanna reports.

Gen Joseph Aoun says bolstering women's roles is among his top priorities, with the ultimate aim of getting them into combat roles.

Women are not allowed to work on the front line in the army, but there is no such rule in the air force.

Six women have so far applied to be pilots in the air force - they went through testing and only two qualified.

They are 1st Lieutenant Chantal Kallas, 27, and 1st Lieutenant Rita Zaher, 26.

_105926947_cb643e52-e468-4d27-960a-94a820c9da5b.jpg

Rita says she met resistance when she first decided to join the armed forces, with many seeing her as "taking a man's job".

_105926946_7b03e92b-e228-4726-a423-b69c582025ff.jpg

Chantal wanted to become a pilot from a young age but her parents were worried she would not be able to juggle work and family life. Despite the social pressures, she followed through with her plan.

"In my opinion, a woman has to overcome all of the challenges with their family or society to realise her ambition," she says.

_105927232_8d928b20-3d67-4158-a6e8-888d7753d66c.jpg

Twenty-four year old Manar Eskandar is a sergeant and the first female mechanic in the air force.

When she started out, Manar was given mainly administrative tasks. But she later asked to be given a real mechanic's work - and her superiors agreed.

_105926950_0e290f1c-96d6-4815-820a-07a83629de25.jpg

"When I first came here my male colleagues looked at me with sympathy, like I needed help. But little by little I have become stronger in my job and started doing work that they can't do themselves," Manar says.

"I have small hands so sometimes I can do things they can't, like reaching into areas of the engine they can't."

_105927233_e0730f84-9e4e-4722-b6ab-cccc52f5e79c.jpg

Chantal says times are changing for women in the Lebanese armed forces.

"Everyone in the air force is helping us and encouraging us to fulfil our ambition, and this is why perceptions are changing and men have become more accepting of women in combat positions and emancipating women in society."

_105927234_20016090-7468-4370-9bf0-5273c446a96e.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Mrsrx

Mrsrx

Somehow a Member
    Staff member
    The Lebanese female air force pilots breaking barriers

View attachment 11969

Most women serving in the Lebanese armed forces work in administrative or logistical roles, but its top commander is trying to change this, the BBC's Eloise Alanna reports.

Gen Joseph Aoun says bolstering women's roles is among his top priorities, with the ultimate aim of getting them into combat roles.

Women are not allowed to work on the front line in the army, but there is no such rule in the air force.

Six women have so far applied to be pilots in the air force - they went through testing and only two qualified.

They are 1st Lieutenant Chantal Kallas, 27, and 1st Lieutenant Rita Zaher, 26.

View attachment 11971

Rita says she met resistance when she first decided to join the armed forces, with many seeing her as "taking a man's job".

View attachment 11970

Chantal wanted to become a pilot from a young age but her parents were worried she would not be able to juggle work and family life. Despite the social pressures, she followed through with her plan.

"In my opinion, a woman has to overcome all of the challenges with their family or society to realise her ambition," she says.

View attachment 11973

Twenty-four year old Manar Eskandar is a sergeant and the first female mechanic in the air force.

When she started out, Manar was given mainly administrative tasks. But she later asked to be given a real mechanic's work - and her superiors agreed.

View attachment 11972

"When I first came here my male colleagues looked at me with sympathy, like I needed help. But little by little I have become stronger in my job and started doing work that they can't do themselves," Manar says.

"I have small hands so sometimes I can do things they can't, like reaching into areas of the engine they can't."

View attachment 11974

Chantal says times are changing for women in the Lebanese armed forces.

"Everyone in the air force is helping us and encouraging us to fulfil our ambition, and this is why perceptions are changing and men have become more accepting of women in combat positions and emancipating women in society."

View attachment 11975
    Fantastic, all we are missing from a modern airforce now are the fighters, trainers, bombers, attack helis, modern radars, rescue planes, munition and air defense !!

J

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
    Fantastic, all we are missing from a modern airforce now are the fighters, trainers, bombers, attack helis, modern radars, rescue planes, munition and air defense !!
    We got the women though, check. :)

Lebanon doesn't need a huge military. It needs better governance. A huge military is a financial burden and is often used as a sort of social welfare institution to create extra jobs. Lebanon should fix its governance and in fact reduce the numbers of its military force.

look at this list... Countries Compared by Military > Personnel > Per capita. International Statistics at NationMaster.com and thats from 2005, by now Lebanon probably shot up even higher in this list...

Last edited:
    mikeys71

mikeys71

Congrats to these Christian women. Middle Eastern Christian women are the bravest and most courageous out there, from fighting ISIS to flying planes you make us proud.

Muslim women, take notes.
    1552059160452.png

Jo

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    We got the women though, check. :)

Lebanon doesn't need a huge military. It needs better governance. A huge military is a financial burden and is often used as a sort of social welfare institution to create extra jobs. Lebanon should fix its governance and in fact reduce the numbers of its military force.

look at this list... Countries Compared by Military > Personnel > Per capita. International Statistics at NationMaster.com and thats from 2005, by now Lebanon probably shot up even higher in this list...
    Actually after 2010, the plan was to reduce the Military personnel of the LAF and to increase its special forces. Hence the creation of several new special forces units (ex: Lebanese Navy Boarding Team)

Resign

Resign

Orange Room Supporter
    What about Lebanon tho, why do only Christian women stand out?
    Not exactly true
    Highest public office held by a Lebanese woman is current sunni minister of interior.

ّTelefon Kasse

ّTelefon Kasse

Congrats to these Christian women. Middle Eastern Christian women are the bravest and most courageous out there, from fighting ISIS to flying planes you make us proud.
    Muslim women, take notes.

نقّوهم حلوين كرّمال لما تسقط طيارتهم يكونوا سبايا خرج وألا
    عل السكين يا بطيخ
    ? ?​