• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Lebanese - Israeli Relations

Jeremy Samuel

Much noise for nothing.

Israelis will never sign anything that doesn't give them substantial advantages.
I disagree.

The Shebaa Farms aren't of emotional or strategic importance to Israel. Israel would let that land become Lebanon's again.
Israel would negotiate to keep Ghajar, but that's because the people of Ghajar want to be part of Israel.

The rumor is, which will be confirmed soon I think, is that Israel is already ready to agree to a maritime border deal where most of the disputed sea becomes Lebanese.

Israel would not want to accept Palestinian refugees from Lebanon. Unfortunately this would come from the same demographic calculations that make most Lebanese against allowing Palestinian refugees to have employment and land ownership rights.

If Israel and Lebanon had a peace deal, Israel would try to be a helpful neighbor if Lebanon had a national emergency of some kind, like forest fires, an earthquake, or flooding.

Does wanting Palestinian refugees to stay in Lebanon count as a "substantial advantage" considering what Israel would do?

I know that most Lebanese don't want a peace deal with Israel, but at least some journalists are starting to say that it's in Lebanon's interest.

agnostic

Legendary Member
I disagree.

The Shebaa Farms aren't of emotional or strategic importance to Israel. Israel would let that land become Lebanon's again.
Israel would negotiate to keep Ghajar, but that's because the people of Ghajar want to be part of Israel.

The rumor is, which will be confirmed soon I think, is that Israel is already ready to agree to a maritime border deal where most of the disputed sea becomes Lebanese.

Israel would not want to accept Palestinian refugees from Lebanon. Unfortunately this would come from the same demographic calculations that make most Lebanese against allowing Palestinian refugees to have employment and land ownership rights.

If Israel and Lebanon had a peace deal, Israel would try to be a helpful neighbor if Lebanon had a national emergency of some kind, like forest fires, an earthquake, or flooding.

Does wanting Palestinian refugees to stay in Lebanon count as a "substantial advantage" considering what Israel would do?

I know that most Lebanese don't want a peace deal with Israel, but at least some journalists are starting to say that it's in Lebanon's interest.

The advantages I was speaking about were in my mind only about borders and resources, who are btw the topic of the current negotiations.

Look at that
28 weekly flights between Abu Dhabi and Israel starting soon. Also the Etihad website in Hebrew
www.etihad.com/he-il

The reality is that this peace will heavily affect Lebanon as expect Israel to start being in regional organisations and take the lead on Gas, Technology and other.

Lebanon will be cornered as usual and we will give everything for free. Stupid Lebanese leaders who allowed us to reach this stage of weakness of beggars.

The criticism goes from the President to the rest of the political spectrum for not taking the Israeli Lebanese relationship in their hands while keeping this card to Iran.

Look where we are now, just a bargain card that Iran will sell at the right price.

Aoun proved to be completely incompetent as a President as he didn’t do anything else than stupidity supporting HA while he was supposed to deliver the MOU.

Berry and Hariri are thieves and need to be jailed but I was expecting much more from Aoun. Not too late but he needs to wake up

I disagree.

One of the biggest terms in having a Lebanon-Israel peace relations is solving the Palestinian refugee issue. If Israel doesn’t accept at least meeting half way then there will be no peace and groups like HA will always exist, now or in the future.

If the Shebaa farms are not important to Israel then why hasn’t it been given back to Lebanon in 2000?

One of the biggest terms in having a Lebanon-Israel peace relations is solving the Palestinian refugee issue. If Israel doesn’t accept at least meeting half way then there will be no peace and groups like HA will always exist, now or in the future.

If the Shebaa farms are not important to Israel then why hasn’t it been given back to Lebanon in 2000?
One important thing that is delaying everything. The Lebanese people living in Shebaa on the Israeli side are begging the Israeli government not to accept giving them to Lebanon. They maintain that they have nothing to do with Lebanon and part of Israel. Even worse, a lot want to join the IDF.

I can’t blame them - they are all making 4000 usd a month in work, have a normal life with electricity and best hospitals in the world versus joining Lebanon ??? They will be reduced to nothing like the people on the other side.

So let’s be honest with ourselves, the people in Shebaa don’t want to have any link with Lebanon

One important thing that is delaying everything. The Lebanese people living in Shebaa on the Israeli side are begging the Israeli government not to accept giving them to Lebanon. They maintain that they have nothing to do with Lebanon and part of Israel. Even worse, a lot want to join the IDF.

I can’t blame them - they are all making 4000 usd a month in work, have a normal life with electricity and best hospitals in the world versus joining Lebanon ??? They will be reduced to nothing like the people on the other side.

So let’s be honest with ourselves, the people in Shebaa don’t want to have any link with Lebanon

Tayyeb if that's true, let them keep shebaa farms but let them meet us halfway with the Palestinian refugee issue.

Welcome to the dreamers club.

Well then groups like HA will always exist as long as Palestinians still believe in their right to return.

Last edited:

Jeremy Samuel

This is true of Ghajar. Ghajar, whose residents are Alawites, accepted Israeli citizenship forty years ago and want to remain part of Israel.

This is despite the various aspects of discrimination in Israeli life, that they are isolated from other Alawites, and that Ghajar is off-limits to Israeli civilians out of fear of Hezbollah kidnapping. Ghajar, unlike the Druze towns on the Golan, lacks the tourism business that is so beneficial to Majdal Shams.

The people of Ghajar, however, say that before 1967 they were Syrian. Many of them have pre-1967 IDs to prove this. Independent researchers have said that old maps showing Ghajar as part of Lebanon were erroneous. They say, in public, that they want to become part of Syria again and the worst thing that could happen for them is for Ghajar to be divided between Lebanon and Israel. The Likud voting majority in Ghajar, IMO, indicates that they prefer Israeli control.

Ghajar, however, is not really part of the Shebaa Farms area. It is at an isolated spot that is where the borders of Syria, Israel, and Lebanon used to meet.