Lebanese name pattern. Can you identify a person's sect by their name?

Ice Tea

Ice Tea

Christians:

I don't think it's possible to know a Christian's sect sole due to their first name. In the past it was probably more common for Orthodox to have Arabic names, but oddly enough I've met more Maronites from Zagharta with Arabic names than I did Orthodox from Koura. Anyway, nowadays the difference is practically inexistent.

25% of Lebanese Christian males are probably named Charbel, and probably close to half are named either Charbel, Elie, Elias or George. The rest tend to have mostly French or English versions of Biblical names. Arabic names are EXTREMELY rare in the young generation to the point their peers will even think they're not true Christians.

I've also noticed an increasing trend of naming Christian girls Old Testament and very Jewish names like Esther and Judith.

Maronites tend to share surnames with Assyrians, like Chamoun for example. Whereas the only specifically Melkite surname I can think of is Maalouf. Abdelnour is mostly Orthodox and apart from very Greek sounding names like Kiryacos they mostly share the same surnames with Catholics and other MENA Christians. Even when looking at surnames, it's very difficult to distinguish between Christians.

Druze:

Imo Druze names are VERY easy to spot. When it comes to first names, I've never a Druze named Mohammed or a Druzete named Fatima. Names like Ali or Ahmad were probably more common in the much older generations, but all the younger Druze I've met have either neutral Arabic names or even Biblical/Christian names.

For example, Daniel is so common among the Druze (I'd say almost half of young Druze males) that when I see a Lebanese named Daniel I automatically think he's Druze and not Christian. I did meet 2 or 3 Druze guys named Charbel also. Or even Frenchies like Marcel. The same pattern is true for Druze girls, but Christian names are even more common. For example, I've met as many Druze 'Christinas' as I have Christian ones.

I don't know how to explain, but Druze surnames tend to be instinctively Druze. A surname like 'Hassanieh' or 'Timani' can only be Druze. '-dinne' surnames are very common among them as well. That's how a can distinguish a Druze with a Christian first name from an actual Christian.

Muslims:

I don't really interact with Lebanese Muslims but I've noticed Shias have more Levantine surnames that are shared with Christians. 90% of Alis and Hussein's are Shia of course. Sunnis tend to have much more foreign/Arabian names, Ive met a fair share of Abdulrahmans for example.

Interestingly enough I did see some Muslim girls with names like Julia or Reine. But I've NEVER met a Muslim man with a Western name.

Last edited:
  • Advertisement
  • SAVO

SAVO

"'-dinne' surnames are very common among them as well."

@Mysobalanus how would u comment that.?

@Ice Tea

zein l din, nour l din , fakhr l din, muhi l din,safi l din , badr l din are all shia surnames ...

XMyso

XMyso

Orange Room Supporter
    Mostly specific for Sunnis boys: Omar, Khodor, Moustapha, Uthman, Fadel, etc.
    Mostly specific for Sunni girls: Aisha, Haifa, Joumana, Hayat, Noura, etc.
    Mostly specific for Shiah boys: Ali, Hassan, Hussein, Zoulfiqar, etc.
    Mostly specific for Shiah girls: Zeinab, Zahra, Fatima, Riman, Rihan, etc.

Druze use all names. But Christian names are mostly for girl names. There's also a few names that seem mostly specific for Druze such as special foreign (Iranian) names and old Arabic names
    Druze Christian boy names: Daniel, David, Charbel, Gerges, Roy, etc
    Druze Christian girl names: Christina, Carla, Katia, Joel, Dana, Camilla, Selina, etc.
    Mostly specific for Druze boys: Salman, Rawzaba, Teymour, Sarjoun, Socrate, Maaroof, etc.
    Mostly specific for Druze girls: Asma, Amanda, etc

Mostly specific for Maronite boys: Maroun, Roukoz.
    Mostly specific for Roum: Tony.

That's how I usually tell the sect differences from names.

XMyso

XMyso

Orange Room Supporter
    "'-dinne' surnames are very common among them as well."

@Mysobalanus how would u comment that.?

@Ice Tea

zein l din, nour l din , fakhr l din, muhi l din,safi l din , badr l din are all shia surnames ...
    We also have Nour L Din in Sarahmol, Zein El Din, Fakhr L Din in Aley, Alam L Din, Khayr L Din, Shams Al Din, Sriye Al Din, etc.

Ice Tea

Ice Tea

Mostly specific for Sunnis boys: Omar, Khodor, Moustapha, Uthman, Fadel, etc.
    Mostly specific for Sunni girls: Aisha, Haifa, Joumana, Hayat, Noura, etc.
    Mostly specific for Shiah boys: Ali, Hassan, Hussein, Zoulfiqar, etc.
    Mostly specific for Shiah girls: Zeinab, Zahra, Fatima, Riman, Rihan, etc.

Druze use all names. But Christian names are mostly for girl names. There's also a few names that seem mostly specific for Druze such as special foreign (Iranian) names and old Arabic names
    Druze Christian boy names: Daniel, David, Charbel, Gerges, Roy, etc
    Druze Christian girl names: Christina, Carla, Katia, Joel, Dana, Camilla, Selina, etc.
    Mostly specific for Druze boys: Salman, Rawzaba, Teymour, Sarjoun, Socrate, Maaroof, etc.
    Mostly specific for Druze girls: Asma, Amanda, etc

Mostly specific for Maronite boys: Maroun, Roukoz.
    Mostly specific for Roum: Tony.

That's how I usually tell the sect differences from names.

Ohhh I forgot to mention the ancient Greek names among Druze boys: Socrates, Adonis

SAVO

SAVO

We also have Nour L Din in Sarahmol, Zein El Din, Fakhr L Din in Aley, Alam L Din, Khayr L Din, Shams Al Din, Sriye Al Din, etc.

thats confirm all our previous discussion about genetic and convertion..if u agree

Lebanese-Nationalist

Lebanese-Nationalist

My parents were irreligious Sunnis and blessed me with the most Christian first name possible. My surname is also religiously neutral so I can always “pass”.

Ice Tea

Ice Tea

@Mysobal how come 'Daniel' become SO popular among the Druze? Is there any religious meaning for them? I didn't kid on the op when I said like half the Druze I know are named Daniel. But then again, this trend of giving Christian names is rather recent among the Druze, right, from like 20-25 years. Any specific reason for this or the Druze just want to distance themselves from Muslims? But the one that got me amazed for sure is Druze girls being named Christina.

XMyso

XMyso

Orange Room Supporter
    @Mysobal how come 'Daniel' become SO popular among the Druze? Is there any religious meaning for them? I didn't kid on the op when I said like half the Druze I know are named Daniel. But then again, this trend of giving Christian names is rather recent among the Druze, right, from like 20-25 years. Any specific reason for this or the Druze just want to distance themselves from Muslims? But the one that got me amazed for sure is Druze girls being named Christina.
    Not recent. You can find in history Druze with Christian names. Shibli Al-Atrash (1910), Bashir Joumblatt, Dawood, Joumblat (1800s) etc.

Daniel is highly-esteemed in the Druze faith and regarded to be a Prophet (even though he's not considered one of our Masters like Jesus).

Master Baahaa was originally from a Christian Tribe in Jabal Al Simaaq and so was his relative Lady Sarah. Many of those who would have joined the faith would have been Christian and held to their traditional tribal names.

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

There are Shiites called Daniel too.

XMyso

XMyso

Orange Room Supporter
    Daniel is probably more common now because English is more common. Shibli and Dawood where common Druze-Christian names in the past.

SAVO

SAVO

Master Baahaa was originally from a Christian Tribe in Jabal Al Simaaq and so was his relative Lady Sarah. Many of those who would have joined the faith would have been Christian and held to their traditional tribal names.
    the guy of the baha'i faith ?
    i know an iranian girl who belong to this religion .. very interesting persons . the khomeini regime was so harsh on them ..
    she even told me that khalil gibran converted to bahai --

XMyso

XMyso

Orange Room Supporter
    the guy of the baha'i faith ?
    i know an iranian girl who belong to this religion .. very interesting persons . the khomeini regime was so harsh on them ..
    she even told me that khalil gibran converted to bahai --
    No, Master Baaha is the fifth Master at the times of the public Dawah. Believed to be from the Christian Arab clan "Tay".

Lebanese-Nationalist

Lebanese-Nationalist

Plus, any TRUE Lebanese, regardless of sect, loves Bachir.
    Bashir didn’t have a sectarian bone in his body. He was proudly Lebanese and Christian. He extended his hand to the Muslims many times and assured them he’s not their enemy.

The main issue is that Bashir wasn’t ashamed to be Christian and wanted the Christians to remain strong. Sadly, many many Muslims can’t accept that. Muslims want a house Christian like Aoun or Bassil that will do their bidding.

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Orange Room Supporter
    inlike the name di gaulle that can be found in keserwen and jbeil