Lebanese National Caught with $2mn at Abuja (Nigeria) Airport En Route to Lebanon

H

Habibibi

As an immigrant you'd expect one to suffer more discrimination, but I don't. And much less the people who were born here. As I said before, Lebanese Christians in the US are totally assimilated nowadays. They were persecuted in the past? Sure, but so were the Irish, Greeks, Italians. Doesn't change the fact they eventually assimilated and now they are a successful group part of mainstream America. The same happened to every other Christian Middle Eastern group like Copts and Assyrians, even if they faced 'persecution' it's nowhere near as closed to what they faced in their homelands.
Perhaps you look more like Steve Kerr if you have this oppinion... if this is the case then you are descended from crusaders and are actually white European .... no matter what your stupid agenda is... the undisputed fact is that most Arabs in America are Christian and most Arabs in America are lobbying for their own ethnic group to be represented in the census... why aren’t the Greeks doing this? Why aren’t the Italians doing this?? BECAUSE WE ARE NOT THE SAME AS GREEKS AND ITALIANS and the freaking Irish?? You are comparing us to Irish people now?? It’s pathetic... you are a foreigner in this country so respect the history of the Lebanese before you in this country especially if you are a white looking Lebanese ... just because you pass Doesn’t mean all of us do

• Advertisement
  • Ice Tea

Ice Tea

Perhaps you look more like Steve Kerr if you have this oppinion... if this is the case then you are descended from crusaders and are actually white European .... no matter what your stupid agenda is... the undisputed fact is that most Arabs in America are Christian and most Arabs in America are lobbying for their own ethnic group to be represented in the census... why aren’t the Greeks doing this? Why aren’t the Italians doing this?? BECAUSE WE ARE NOT THE SAME AS GREEKS AND ITALIANS and the freaking Irish?? You are comparing us to Irish people now?? It’s pathetic... you are a foreigner in this country so respect the history of the Lebanese before you in this country especially if you are a white looking Lebanese ... just because you pass Doesn’t mean all of us do
    You don't need to look like Steve Kerr to be accepted as white in the US, especiy in the big cities. Another proof that Lebanese Christians assimilated into American society is the fact that most Lebanese-Americans are not even 100% Lebanese, but have some other Christian background (mostly Italian, Irish, Polish for the Maronites and Greek for the Rums) and can't even speak a single word in Arabic, which is expected since they've been here since the 1900s. This is called assimilation!

Another thing, like you said most 'Arab'-Americans are Christians, and they didn't exactly have a bad reputation before 9/11. Since 9/11 the Arab population grew a lot, and the newcomers are all Muslims. Of course hijabs and niqabs (yes, I've seen that here!) for example are gonna be seen as a sign of anti-assimation. Even if Muslim Arabs are still a minority they can be very noisy, take Linda Sarsour for example, those are the kind of people pushing for a new census category.

H

Habibibi

You don't need to look like Steve Kerr to be accepted as white in the US, especiy in the big cities. Another proof that Lebanese Christians assimilated into American society is the fact that most Lebanese-Americans are not even 100% Lebanese, but have some other Christian background (mostly Italian, Irish, Polish for the Maronites and Greek for the Rums) and can't even speak a single word in Arabic, which is expected since they've been here since the 1900s. This is called assimilation!

Another thing, like you said most 'Arab'-Americans are Christians, and they didn't exactly have a bad reputation before 9/11. Since 9/11 the Arab population grew a lot, and the newcomers are all Muslims. Of course hijabs and niqabs (yes, I've seen that here!) for example are gonna be seen as a sign of anti-assimation. Even if Muslim Arabs are still a minority they can be very noisy, take Linda Sarsour for example, those are the kind of people pushing for a new census category.

Historically in this country us lebanese survived by keeping a low profile and staying silent. A reason we had to take this approach is because they BANNED all immigration from mid east and Asia for DECADES... we just didn't have the numbers to protect ourselves like Italians am Greeks did (mafia) so we hid in the shadows. Because of the lasting effects off these policies we still are an extremely small minority group in this country. We still do not have the numbers. The Greeks and Italians never kept a low profile and we're very disruptive but at the end of the day they are european and always benefitted from whiteness and was never permenantly banned from the country...

A lot of us first went to the south but discrimnation and a few lynchings from the KKK most Of us decided thr south was bad for us and we went up north. The faCT that you think linda Sarsour makes too much noise is evidence that you support the tactic of survival by staying silemt... you cannot do that in this country and expect not to be taken advantage of....

You are right that there are a lot of lebanese and palestinian americans that are mixed but that is because it was encouraged by our family's to mix with the whites so it would be harder to deport us... again you were not born and raised here so your family doesn't share this history with us so you should respect that and dont whitewash our history to fit your agenda of spreading false informstion...

I can assure you that not only the Muslims want their own box on the census... most of the young arab christians also want their own box... the only people that are opposed are the old arab Christian generations and they are against it because they fear the government will use the info against us like they did agsinst the Japanese americans during ww2. That is a very valid concern... and even being mixed arabs wouldn't save us since the one drop rule is a very real thing here in america... they imprisoned all Japanese they could find to the 4th degree meaning if you were 1/16 Japanese you were Japanese in the government's eyes ...

Off topic a little but I was at the airport with my dad and uncle about 2 months... I believe they are using facial recognition software to pick out arabs for "random selection" for further search and questioning because we all 3 got selected even though we were all in different lines... but we are Christian and we don't even look typically arab we look more hispanic... I cannot stay silemt about these things like you want me too I'm sorry

Last edited:
    Aoune32!

Aoune32!

Historically in this country us lebanese survived by keeping a low profile and staying silent. A reason we had to take this approach is because they BANNED all immigration from mid east and Asia for DECADES... we just didn't have the numbers to protect ourselves like Italians am Greeks did (mafia) so we hid in the shadows. Because of the lasting effects off these policies we still are an extremely small minority group in this country. We still do not have the numbers. The Greeks and Italians never kept a low profile and we're very disruptive but at the end of the day they are european and always benefitted from whiteness and was never permenantly banned from the country...

A lot of us first went to the south but discrimnation and a few lynchings from the KKK most Of us decided thr south was bad for us and we went up north. The faCT that you think linda Sarsour makes too much noise is evidence that you support the tactic of survival by staying silemt... you cannot do that in this country and expect not to be taken advantage of....

You are right that there are a lot of lebanese and palestinian americans that are mixed but that is because it was encouraged by our family's to mix with the whites so it would be harder to deport us... again you were not born and raised here so your family doesn't share this history with us so you should respect that and dont whitewash our history to fit your agenda of spreading false informstion...

I can assure you that not only the Muslims want their own box on the census... most of the young arab christians also want their own box... the only people that are opposed are the old arab Christian generations and they are against it because they fear the government will use the info against us like they did agsinst the Japanese americans during ww2. That is a very valid concern... and even being mixed arabs wouldn't save us since the one drop rule is a very real thing here in america... they imprisoned all Japanese they could find to the 4th degree meaning if you were 1/16 Japanese you were Japanese in the government's eyes ...

Off topic a little but I was at the airport with my dad and uncle about 2 months... I believe they are using facial recognition software to pick out arabs for "random selection" for further search and questioning because we all 3 got selected even though we were all in different lines... but we are Christian and we don't even look typically arab we look more hispanic... I cannot stay silemt about these things like you want me too I'm sorry
    Everytime i go through an aiport they choose me out for more checking. Every single time w men2oul mafe racism 2al.

Aoune32!

Aoune32!

Those who left Leb masalan in the 1900s are Americans. They forgot their mother tongue, their forgot their cities, their villages, everything about Lebanon. I dont call these people Lebanese to begin with.
    Those in Latin America are the same. They forgot everything about Lebanon and picked up the local language and customs and went with it. Even the local people dont know the difference.

Those who came to Australia most of them still have ties back home and still hold ontp the language and customs. Australia has a big population that goes back to Lebanon every year and most are from the North. No wonder we had the highest registration in the elections. People here even if born here speak arabic quiet well and live their lives ka2ano back home just in a diff country.

H

Habibibi

Those who left Leb masalan in the 1900s are Americans. They forgot their mother tongue, their forgot their cities, their villages, everything about Lebanon. I dont call these people Lebanese to begin with.
    Those in Latin America are the same. They forgot everything about Lebanon and picked up the local language and customs and went with it. Even the local people dont know the difference.

Those who came to Australia most of them still have ties back home and still hold ontp the language and customs. Australia has a big population that goes back to Lebanon every year and most are from the North. No wonder we had the highest registration in the elections. People here even if born here speak arabic quiet well and live their lives ka2ano back home just in a diff country.
    That’s not entirely true ... it is true that many tried to forcefully assimilate by changing their names and forcing to forget their language and culture but it’s because discrimination was rampant and we were far outnumbered by other ethnic groups so we went in the shadows but at the same time still maintained a distinct community in Detroit that is still the Arab Mecca of the USA Today and despite what ice tea says there are still mostly Christians there.

Aoune32!

Aoune32!

That’s not entirely true ... it is true that many tried to forcefully assimilate by changing their names and forcing to forget their language and culture but it’s because discrimination was rampant and we were far outnumbered by other ethnic groups so we went in the shadows but at the same time still maintained a distinct community in Detroit that is still the Arab Mecca of the USA Today and despite what ice tea says there are still mostly Christians there.
    Discrimination at those times was rampant but these days is not the same as before. You still find racism out there but not as much as before. Also, it is us our people who give the hosts bad signals. We go there and live in our community our neighbourhoods ka2ano ne7na we live back home. So what was the point of leaving in the first place?
    It is our people who have the problem not the host country. We thank the host country for taking us in and we do the rest. You see people here for example in Auburn in Sydney which is like a mini Istanbul. Turks and Muslims everywhere ka2ano one lives in Pakistan or Afghanistan. It is the same as how we find the syrian refugees in our country alarming and are trying to preserve our country the host state and its people are trying to preserve theirs also.

Rachel Corrie

Rachel Corrie

Legendary Member
    Would a Christian in Muslim lands dare to rape a woman or commit other violent crimes like Muslims often do in the Western world tho?
    But the Muslim rapist knows that if he rapes, he won't first of all be representing Muslims. Secondly, he wont be treated as Muslim rapist by the authorities because america is secular. Only sectarian bigots will care about his religious background.

Rachel Corrie

Rachel Corrie

Legendary Member
    Those talking about Lebanese Christian emigrants being "saintly" and incorruptible, in this very same Nigeria, here are reports in newspapers associating a Lebanese Christian with corruption and the late Nigerian dictator Sani Abacha, who looted Nigeria:

"A key partner of Abacha has been the Chagoury family. Its patriarch, Rene Chagoury, immigrated to Nigeria from the north Lebanese village of Miziara and prospered as he and his family developed flour mills and a modest construction business.

Among Rene Chagoury's five sons, the oldest, Gilbert, had befriended Abacha as early as the 1970s, according to a Lebanese friend of the family. After Abacha took power in 1993, Gilbert Chagoury became a familiar figure at the presidential villa, and the family's businesses began mushrooming.

When Gilbert Chagoury "flies into Abuja for one of his numerous business visits . . . he is treated like a head of state," the News, a Nigerian weekly, reported in a cover story on the Chagourys last November. "He arrives . . . in private jets and is whisked off from the tarmac without all the customs, immigration and security hassles . . . to Aso Rock," the News said.

Soon after the article was published, its author, editor Babafemi Ojudu, was seized by Abacha security men and held without charge until being released last month. Ojudu, Nigerian business executives and Western diplomats said the Chagourys seized disparate new chunks of business after Abacha came to power, including contracts to buy Nigerian crude oil, build large government buildings -- and, in 1994, to supply all of Nigeria's fertilizer.

The family's flagship firm, Chagoury & Chagoury, has been one of the biggest beneficiaries of a push to develop Nigeria's half-constructed capital, Abuja. The firm has built such key installations as a secretariat to house numerous government ministries and the headquarters of the secret police force, the Special Security Service. But after the magazine cover story, formal plaques on those buildings that listed the company as builder were removed.

Nigerian journalists and business executives said the Chagourys have direct business partnerships with Abacha. In the immediate aftermath of Abacha's death today, the Chagoury family could not be reached for comment. But in one recent public acknowledgment, a prominent director of Chagoury & Chagoury announced that the company's office tower in a posh neighborhood of Lagos was built on land owned by Abacha. Neither Abacha nor the company ever denied it.

In recent years, Gilbert Chagoury tried to curry favor with the Clinton administration on Abacha's behalf. He contributed $460,000 to a Miami-based voter registration group to which he was steered by Democratic Party officials, and won meetings with National Security Council officials, including Susan E. Rice, now the assistant secretary of state for African affairs."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/inatl/longterm/nigeria/stories/corrupt060998.htm

. The Day Abacha Man, Chagoury brought them all to MONACO | Sahara Reporters

F

freemind

I know for a fact, that christian or muslim hold the same crap in Nigeria.

This money laundry something has been going around for years. Its one out of hundreds they’ve catched now.

For the black man, christian or muslim is least of his concerns. The british have entrenched a sense of racisim in the souls of black people, that makes it impossible to take a person unless by color.

And then white people in Africa are here for the cash, not for the security not for the culture not running away from persecution in the middle east.

So anyone comparing a lebanese expat in Nigeria to one in Europe or America sure doesn’t know shit.

Aoune32!

Aoune32!

I know for a fact, that christian or muslim hold the same crap in Nigeria.

This money laundry something has been going around for years. Its one out of hundreds they’ve catched now.

For the black man, christian or muslim is least of his concerns. The british have entrenched a sense of racisim in the souls of black people, that makes it impossible to take a person unless by color.

And then white people in Africa are here for the cash, not for the security not for the culture not running away from persecution in the middle east.

So anyone comparing a lebanese expat in Nigeria to one in Europe or America sure doesn’t know shit.
    The Lebanese overall would do anything for money. They want to become rich quiet quick and they complain that they work all day and don't have enough to survive. All I hear from people back home is that our money finishes 10th of the Month. I am like iza your wages finish at the 10th of the Month lakeina you are in the wrong job. How are you surviving month by month lakeina?
    The one's who are doing things illegally should be caught all of them christian, muslim, buddhist no religion. They should be caught and face trail in the country that reside in.

H

Habibibi

Discrimination at those times was rampant but these days is not the same as before. You still find racism out there but not as much as before. Also, it is us our people who give the hosts bad signals. We go there and live in our community our neighbourhoods ka2ano ne7na we live back home. So what was the point of leaving in the first place?
    It is our people who have the problem not the host country. We thank the host country for taking us in and we do the rest. You see people here for example in Auburn in Sydney which is like a mini Istanbul. Turks and Muslims everywhere ka2ano one lives in Pakistan or Afghanistan. It is the same as how we find the syrian refugees in our country alarming and are trying to preserve our country the host state and its people are trying to preserve theirs also.
    The situation in Lebanon and the situation in Australia are worlds apart... not even close to the same situation...

Also it doesn’t matter if you don’t consider us Lebanese the fact is Australia has a certain image in its mind of what an Aussie needs to look like to be a true Aussie and likewise America has its own image of what a true american looks like and I can tell you a lot of Lebanese do not fit that image....

Aoune32!

Aoune32!

The situation in Lebanon and the situation in Australia are worlds apart... not even close to the same situation...

Also it doesn’t matter if you don’t consider us Lebanese the fact is Australia has a certain image in its mind of what an Aussie needs to look like to be a true Aussie and likewise America has its own image of what a true american looks like and I can tell you a lot of Lebanese do not fit that image....
    Explain :)

H

Habibibi

The situation in Lebanon is about refugees flocking to Lebanon in such numbers that they are outnumbering the native population.... that’s a different and much worse situation ...

And no explanation necessary for the second part... the only point you have is the Lebanese in South America... they completely blended “racially” with Latinos much easier then Lebanese did in North America... in the USA we have maintained a lot in terms of food religion and ethnic neighborhoods...

I honestly feel stabbed in the back a little because I was originally on your side making the same point.... 🙄

Aoune32!

Aoune32!

The situation in Lebanon is about refugees flocking to Lebanon in such numbers that they are outnumbering the native population.... that’s a different and much worse situation ...

And no explanation necessary for the second part... the only point you have is the Lebanese in South America... they completely blended “racially” with Latinos much easier then Lebanese did in North America... in the USA we have maintained a lot in terms of food religion and ethnic neighborhoods...

I honestly feel stabbed in the back a little because I was originally on your side making the same point.... 🙄
    I was just trying to make a point thats all. Nothing against the Lebanese in the US, Latin America or Europe.
    I just trying to state that there are approx 1.2 to 1.5 million voters that do not reside in the country. From these 1.2 to 1.5 mil you have 1/3 that live in Australia alone. Eventhough Australia is a country which is far far away you have a huge population that goes back every single year to Lebanon. They have preserved their accents, culture and heritage. I hardly see anyone here who does not know how to speak arabic. The Lebanese houne kameina 3andoun a bad rap due to the 2% which make the 98% look bad. Those 2% of Lebanese were born here not back home. So they are accustomed to the culture here and probably got their criminals minds and acts from Australia not from masalan Tripoli. They never lived there and would not know how their community lives their aslan.

We have a big population that lives in Lebanon also. I remember in 2006 when the war with Israel was happening Australia had 30K citizens living in Lebanon. The population of the Lebanese in Australia is close to 500K with the majority living in Sydney. I am just trying to state that those in Australia are very close to their homelands, their family and did not come here and end up forgetting their country.