Lebanese politics pre 2005

The_FPMer

The_FPMer

MTV: It is an ally of Syria, and it considers Syria to be a guarantor of stability in Lebanon; that’s its point of view.

Aoun: We have a contract of independence, and we have the nation’s constituents, and they do not depend on contracts the Party [Hezbollah] makes with an outside state

MTV: Don’t you want friendship with the Syrians?

Aoun: I want friendship with the Syrian people, not with the regime.

MTV: Don’t you want a strong ally in the region, out of fear that Lebanon might be singled out for an attack?

Aoun: … what has kept the calm so far is an international will, and it could unravel right now because of the harassments taking place. We are living very delicate times, and if Hezbollah and Syria’s escalation is serious and not theater, it is possible that this escalation could drag the region into a state of war, and then you’ll know for sure what is the real capability of the Syrian army

• Advertisement
  • The_FPMer

The_FPMer

MTV: How do you expect this crisis to end? And why are you optimistic that the Palestinians will have a nation ultimately?

Aoun: … The first condition for a settlement is to stop the mutual violence. We hear many Arabs advising Israel that the Palestinian question cannot be resolved with violence. This advice is equally valid for the other side; the Palestinians should know that their question cannot be resolved with violence. They have 54 years of experience with violence and bilateral wars.

MTV: But Lebanon was able to liberate its land with its resistance, giving an example for the Palestinians

Aoun: … In Lebanon, there was a UN resolution, and the Resistance prolonged the occupation. There was an offer made by the Israeli government in 1994, so can the Lebanese government tell us why it pulled out of the negotiations at the time when the Israeli offer to withdraw was made? Lebanon pulled out of the negotiations because it tied itself to the Syrian caravan and erased its own political and diplomatic identity. The text of that [Israeli] offer still exists, so please ask the then-ambassador of Lebanon in Washington, Mr. Simon Karam, because he knows a lot.

MTV: Doesn’t the resistance get credit for liberating Lebanon? In what way do you think they prolonged the occupation?

Aoun: There was a proposal for a solution. Let them explain to us why they rejected it, or why they did not request amendments? Why didn’t they notify Washington that they wanted to amend some of its contents and wait to see what Washington will do? They rejected it categorically and said that Israel wanted water and land from Lebanon, and when Israel announced the opposite, they said “No. You want the water and the land”. I am now speaking before the Lebanese people, and I am responsible for what I am saying.

The_FPMer

The_FPMer

MTV: So you are optimistic for the victory of the Palestinian people?

Aoun: Certainly, but not in the manner that some want. Not by the annihilation of Israel as Hezbollah and Bashar Assad say, because this is a policy that is rejected internationally.

MTV: To whose benefit is this situation?

Aoun: …But I do not interfere in what the Palestinian people accept, because it is their right and they are the ones to decide. However, I do not accept that the Palestinians be cornered and pushed from the outside with incitement to rejectionism, particularly by political forces that claim to be with the Palestinians and do not move a finger on the fronts, and I mean Syria specifically as the largest rejectionist country that does not activate the Golan front and nothing else inside Syria, except activating Hezbollah in Lebanon to carry out a few harassment actions and claiming that it supports the Palestinians. Syria supports rejectionism but does not support fighting, or more accurately it supports the fighting by others, which is unacceptable to us at this time. This extremist position by the Syrians and Hezbollah has one of two explanations: It is either a reckless and immature position politically , or it is a position of collusion with Israel enabling it to free its destructive power, a colluding position that is camouflaged under a rejectionist platform to keep suspicions away from it.

The_FPMer

The_FPMer

MTV: We still have an occupied part [of Lebanese territory], therefore we ought to have the resistance

Aoun: Where is this occupied part?

MTV: The Shebaa Farms

Aoun: That is a lie, and I stand by my words. We cannot change the map based on our mood. The Shebaa Farms are not Lebanese, and even if the land is Lebanese, it's been in the custody of Syria for a long time, and Lebanon did not object. The Lebanese government did not once say that it has a land occupied subject to UN resolution 242. To the contrary, it said, I am not concerned by UN 242 and that I do not have an occupied territory. So it cannot retract its statements and declare this territory occupied after the implementation of UN 425 by saying it has territory that is occupied. And assuming that Syria does actually want to return the land to us, so let it do so and give us a document in accordance with international statutes, saying that this land is Lebanese and delimiting on the map the patch of territory that is Lebanese in the Shebaa Farms. At this point, let the Resistance leave it to us to recover it.