Lebanon , a resilient country

Lebanon is this tiny country that everyone seeks refuge in in times of disaster. From Syrians to Armenians to Palestinians etc.. From what I've heard , the country now has more than a million Syrian refugees settled in. Considering that fact that Lebanon is already quite overpopulated, and that the Syrian war has notably taken toll on the Lebanese, how long could Lebanon hold on under all the pressure of this chaotic environment ?

Based on your opinions , is it possible for the Syrian refugees to return to their own country after the war? What kind of factors would influence their choice of remaining in Lebanon or departing to their own country?

Also, why do so many civilizations turn to Lebanon to seek refuge instead of other neighbouring countries ?

English/French preferred.

• Advertisement
  • Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    how long could Lebanon hold on under all the pressure of this chaotic environment ?
    I dont know but i think it can hold on for some time. Although, crime is on rise in some areas and there are a little bit of tensions between locals and Syrians

Based on your opinions , is it possible for the Syrian refugees to return to their own country after the war? What kind of factors would influence their choice of remaining in Lebanon or departing to their own country?
    If Lebanon do not make it hard for Syrians to live and work here (but raising their taxes, etc...) They will not go back. Why would they? The ones that are working, are making more money and they have free schools, free medical care, much more freedom along with a lot of other benefits from international organizations.
    The ones living close to the borders in villages will go back i think but the ones living inside the country in local villages and between the Lebanese communities are having a better life.

Also, why do so many civilizations turn to Lebanon to seek refuge instead of other neighbouring countries ?
    Historically, Lebanon has received a lot of refugees, Christians, Shiaa, Armenians and other minorities.
    Due to its geography and mountainous regions, it was easy for minorities to hide and live (half) peacefully.

Also Lebanon was not directly ruled by the Otoman empire, It was a "mutasarifiya". This was again due to its mountainous regions, the Otoman Empire found it a bit hard to enforce its rule without dedicating a lot of men to such a small area.