• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Lebanon Hires McKinsey to Help Revamp the Economy

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
Consulting can not fix corruption. You do not need a consultant to know what is blocking the build up of new power plants. Why was this consulting contract given to McKinsey rather than Booz that has more insight into the Lebanese administration
Which friends is Mr Cedrus trying to please? What customers/connections/favors will they be doing to Cedrus after Mr Cedrus resume his work there?
this not the reason why this study has been requested. there is currently no plan in place for long and medium term economic development, and the plan is needed ahead of the paris convention where low interest loans will be made available for specific projects. many countries will not offer any help without a proper plan, and some of the supporting countries have actually communicated their desire for a such a plan.

the plan could have been developed locally, but resorting to an international firm will give it more credibility, not to mention that it won't be possible for the local evil doers to hinder its development. the 1.5 million dollars are properly invested.

The Jade

Legendary Member
Muslim dont want progress ( maybe hariri wants now), for sure shia dont want
they want a milking cow...and of course they have many zhummes from both sides who will do their bidding

نشرت السيدة ميراي عون، إبنة فخامة الرئيس العماد ميشال عون والملقبة بـ " يد " الجنرال، على صفحتها الخاصة على موقع " فايسبوك " نصا جاء فيه:
"يللي حكموا لبنان من ٢٨ سنة وصلّونا ندفع كل يوم ١٦ مليون دولار فوائد على الدين العام.

نفسهم آخد ع خاطرهم اليوم انو لبنان يدفع ١.٥ مليون دولار حتى نجمع الدراسات يللي انعملت ونجرب نوضع دراسة اقتصادية عصرية حتى نجرب نطلع من هل الوضع المأساوي يللي وضعونا فيه.
اسألوا اولادكم لان هنّي بيعرفو ان حكيكم مخرّب. ما بتخللو ولا فرصة لأي مشروع يمشي بلبنان."

Eh smallah la2anno Sleiman Frangieh, Emile Lahoud, Michel Sleiman, Michel el Murr, Mansour el Bone, etc all wanted progress....
That's why they allowed the syrians in and worked on looting the country....

HannaTheCrusader

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Eh smallah la2anno Sleiman Frangieh, Emile Lahoud, Michel Sleiman, Michel el Murr, Mansour el Bone, etc all wanted progress....
That's why they allowed the syrians in and worked on looting the country....
refer to my earlier post

they are muslimlackeys

spacecreature

Canada
Singapore
Hong Kong
Norway
Finland
Malaysia (to a certain extent)
New Zealand
3edd w l7a2neh

I meant countries we could emulate and that resemble somehow Lebanon in their resources / potential , shou jeb Lebanon to Canada masalan which is like a whole continent ;)

Jo

Administrator
Master Penguin
Canada
Singapore
Hong Kong
Norway
Finland
Malaysia (to a certain extent)
New Zealand
3edd w l7a2neh
I meant countries we could emulate and that resemble somehow Lebanon in their resources / potential , shou jeb Lebanon to Canada masalan which is like a whole continent ;)
Ireland (in terms of tourism and technology) minus the over population

spacecreature

Ireland (in terms of tourism and technology) minus the over population
Yeah I remember some expert once on TV mentioning that example. Enno how they originally had nothing n how they developped themselves but the whole time I was thinking in my head shou they have nothing have you seen their nature!? That alone is gold.

Jo

Administrator
Master Penguin
Yeah I remember some expert once on TV mentioning that example. Enno how they originally had nothing n how they developped themselves but the whole time I was thinking in my head shou they have nothing have you seen their nature!? That alone is gold.
I have been there many times - They dont have more than we have (or maybe had)

TayyarBeino

Legendary Member
The government hired Arthur D Little 18 years ago to evaluate / recommend a strategy for the Lebanese economy; nothing was done about their recommendations...

now we have a president with balls, that will make sure something is done about it;)

The Jade

Legendary Member
Singapore
Israel
Hong Kong

Mni7 hek?

I know some overexcited members will jump at my throat for citing Israel, but if you look at it as any country and if you take away their savagery towards palestinians, Israel has similar resources as us.
They invested heavily in IT, weaponry, etc.
They are one the foremost authorities on cybersecurity, IT applications, etc. It is no coincidence that tech giants have offices there.

Also, despite their little size, they are an important high tech weapons manufacturer.

Their economy is strong and set on stable foundations.

You don't need oil to build up a cyber sector.
You need a plan, a will and politicians who don't care only about themselves

Last edited:

Nonan

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
now we have a president with balls, that will make sure something is done about it;)
It is not that simple. Forget about countries, most companies struggle to execute McK’s recommendations. And those are institutions where goals are in theory clear and unique (maximizing shareholder value) and you can easily fire people who “don’t go with the program”. Can you imagine how complicated something like that can be at the scale of Lebanon?

Nonan

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Singapore
Israel
Hong Kong

Mni7 hek?

I know some overexcited members will jump at my throat for citing Israel, but if you look at it as any country and if you take away their savagery towards palestinians, Israel has similar resources as us.
They are one the foremost authorities on cybersecurity, IT applications, etc. It is no coincidence that tech giants have offices there.

Also, despite their little size, they are an important high tech weapons manufacturer.

Yes, but this did not come from some kind of a grand strategic vision, it was born out of necessity that then led to clusters of competencies, largely financed externally at the beginning. Replicating things are very hard because the context has evolved since and you have to think why your “me too” Strategy would be more successful (ie how do you differentiate and beat competitors, given they’re already established)

The Jade

Legendary Member
Yes, but this did not come from some kind of a grand strategic vision, it was born out of necessity that then led to clusters of competencies, largely financed externally at the beginning. Replicating things are very hard because the context has evolved since and you have to think why your “me too” Strategy would be more successful (ie how do you differentiate and beat competitors, given they’re already established)

It was definitely born out of necessity, but then it became part of their vision, hence the external investments.

Doesn't Lebanon have any necessities?
Before they found gas offshore, Lebanon had very few to no resources.
Apart from water and fertile ground, we had nothing but our brains.
We could've easily become a regional authority on hydraulic power generation, water distribution and irrigation if we thought to invest in it. Yet, here we are, we have more water than the whole gulf combined yet we still have shortages.

The bekaa valley is extremely fertile and we could've fed both Lebanon and neighbouring countries.
Yet we're importing fruits and veggies from the gulf who is basically a large desert!

We could've easily invested in high tech seeing that manufacturing requires space and we don't have it, but IT, cybersecurity, web apps, etc require smaller spaces and investments.

I fear that now with the discovery of gas we won't invest in anything else and turn our country's economy to be solely dependent on fossil fuel then end up bankrupt when prices crash like it happened in Nigeria for example.

Foreign powers would've invested heavily if we showed that we're up to the task.
Lebanese diaspora has notable managers in the ranks of multinationals which could've shifted foreign investments to Lebanon rather than Israel, Jordan, Iran, Egypt, Turkey, etc...

The necessity is there, the will isn't.

spacecreature

Singapore
Israel
Hong Kong

Mni7 hek?

From what I have heard lately their economy is really in bad shape . Don't forget they get continous support from abroad directly or indirectly through lobbies.

Tsunami27

My 2 cents on this topic:

1) Concerning McKinsey:
They are the top strategy consulting firm in the world. They can bring expertise from all kind of industries and all kind of environments. Word on the street is that they are stubborn in their approach, telling you what needs to be done and not what you want to hear despite the "abgha" mentality in the gulf region. I am pretty sure that they will do their best, and they will do a good job

2) Concerning the Initiative: I think it's about time that Lebanon revamps its economy and have its own identity, vision, and plans. For f*cks sake, we spent like 10 years or so without any budget, meshyin 3al 3amyane. And it's very good to rely on a firm with international presence that does that for living either at a corporate or governmental level. Good step by Minister of Finance

3) Concerning the Expected Outcomes:
One needs to understand that the McKinsey will not have a magic stick to solve all of Lebanon problems and remove our debt overnight. They will come with some vision that unleashes maximum potential of the Lebanese economy and at best a high level implementation plan to reach this vision. The Lebanese states need to move this plan into implementation and dwell further on each and every area covered in it

4) Concerning the Potential Challenges: McKinsey needs to be well empowered to avoid entering into the political battles while assessing the ministries and entities. They need to take into consideration the complexity of the Lebanese environment in their recommendation to avoid coming up with vision and plan that cannot be implemented

The Jade

Legendary Member
From what I have heard lately their economy is really in bad shape . Don't forget they get continous support from abroad directly or indirectly through lobbies.
It's in bad shape due to wrong economical/political calculations.

But their economy has strong basis, they have strong industries too.
Technologically, they have at least a 20 year headstart despite the youth of their country.
We've been inhabiting this land for thousands of years...what do we have to show for it?
Almaza? Sky bar? Nabih Berry?

We also get continuous support from abroad.
Lebanon's economy will collapse if only half of its diaspora stops sending money.
We get aid from the US, France, UAE, UK, Germany, KSA.
Not sure it's as big as Israel, bass kell wa7ad 3a 2yesso.

spacecreature

It's in bad shape due to wrong economical/political calculations.

But their economy has strong basis, they have strong industries too.
Technologically, they have at least a 20 year headstart despite the youth of their country.
We've been inhabiting this land for thousands of years...what do we have to show for it?
Almaza? Sky bar? Nabih Berry?

We also get continuous support from abroad.
Lebanon's economy will collapse if only half of its diaspora stops sending money.
We get aid from the US, France, UAE, UK, Germany, KSA.
Not sure it's as big as Israel, bass kell wa7ad 3a 2yesso.

Shou mish 3ejbak bi almaza ?????????!!! :)

They might be young as a "country" but the jews have been around for a long time in Europe, Russia and most of all the States, and much of the technology n economy was imported by those "foreign" people and the zionist lobbies that wanted to see that country prosperous no matter what it takes. Only lately have we started seeing a bit of objection or criticism towards that entity, coz for the longest it was like a "protege" that required their full support both economically and politically.

Anyway, the aid we get from those countries you mentioned is peanuts. Most of the larger portion is in the form of debt! Which in the long run will only screw us over even more.

spacecreature

I'm starting to like this Mireille lady. Initially I was put off by the fact that she was Aoun's daughter n maybe was a bit unfair. Anyway it seems she was behind this initiative. Have a look here: