Lebanon Ranked Second to Last for Raising Kids

HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid

Orange Room Supporter
Rankings in the link (72 of 73): https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/best-raising-children

Best Countries for Raising Kids
Nordic nations may be the best place to raise children, according to the Best Countries report.
lUMMARY

Father carrying son piggyback in park

CREDIT

The Best Countries to Raise Kids
Some citizens of countries are willing to pay high rates of taxes if health care, education and other needs are taken care of. In his piece “Why Danes Happily Pay High Rates of Taxes,” Meik Wiking, CEO of the Happiness Research Institute, says people in that country see paying taxes as a quality of life investment. Critically, Wiking says, their government is able to deliver on that promise.
The 2020 Best Countries to Raise Kids ranking draws from a global perceptions-based survey and ranks countries based on scores from a compilation of eight country attributes: caring about human rights, being considered family friendly, its environment for gender equality, being seen as happy, having income equality, being safe, and having well-developed public education and well-developed health care systems. These are the top five countries.

And dead last overall country of 73 ranked: https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/overall-rankings

Personally, besides environmental factors, I take this with a huge grain of salt. There are sociocultural benefits to raising kids in Lebanon or outside North America and western Europe that such rankings will never capture.

• Advertisement
  • Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    Rankings in the link (72 of 73): https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/best-raising-children

Best Countries for Raising Kids
    Nordic nations may be the best place to raise children, according to the Best Countries report.
    lUMMARY

Father carrying son piggyback in park

CREDIT

The Best Countries to Raise Kids
    Some citizens of countries are willing to pay high rates of taxes if health care, education and other needs are taken care of. In his piece “Why Danes Happily Pay High Rates of Taxes,” Meik Wiking, CEO of the Happiness Research Institute, says people in that country see paying taxes as a quality of life investment. Critically, Wiking says, their government is able to deliver on that promise.
    The 2020 Best Countries to Raise Kids ranking draws from a global perceptions-based survey and ranks countries based on scores from a compilation of eight country attributes: caring about human rights, being considered family friendly, its environment for gender equality, being seen as happy, having income equality, being safe, and having well-developed public education and well-developed health care systems. These are the top five countries.

And dead last overall country of 73 ranked: https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/overall-rankings

Personally, besides environmental factors, I take this with a huge grain of salt. There are sociocultural benefits to raising kids in Lebanon or outside North America and western Europe that such rankings will never capture.
    What are these sociocultural benefits that exist in Lebanon but you don't find elsewhere?

Mrsrx

Mrsrx

Somehow a Member
    Staff member
    Wellll second to last in the list of 73 :)

we are really bad but we might be 72/195 ...or 194/195..still not brilliant though.

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    Wellll second to last in the list of 73 :)

we are really bad but we might be 72/195 ...or 194/195..still not brilliant though.
    If you look at the ratings they're quite atrocious I think the highest score we have is 2/10 😂 so 73 or not this is quite horrible

HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid

Orange Room Supporter
    What are these sociocultural benefits that exist in Lebanon but you don't find elsewhere?
    A few things that I don't think can be properly ranked in something like this.

1) There's a collective and community that exists in Lebanon that gets lost in much more individualistic societies, even if you grow up in the west within the Lebanese community. For what it's worth, I don't think it's unique to Lebanon, but it is absolutely non-existent where I mostly grew up (between Canada and the US) and I find that once most of my peers hit 20s and early 30s we're all wondering what community we even belong to. There may be various identity crises in Lebanon, but there's more of a sense that you belong to some community, whether it's sect-based, socio-economic, political, or even just family and extended family. There's a lack of public space, particularly in Beirut, but that doesn't stop people from actually finding common space pretty consistently that brings people together--even daily--quite easily.

2) The size of the country almost necessitates you (unless you're uber rich) to see "how the other half lives." Income inequality, if you grow up in a suburban neighborhood outside a big city in the US and Western Europe, is an almost theoretical concept. My evidence is only anecdotal in Lebanon from being in university and visiting family, but I'm never able to avoid actually seeing the income inequality while there and I think that's much more important than a civic education in school. Again, anecdotal, but the comparisons of the worldview of family, friends, acquaintances who grew up in Lebanon vs. in the US (and even canada) reflects this kind of dichotomy.

3) I genuinely think some aspects of education are better (if you can afford a decent one, of course, but that's true outside of Lebanon, too. Your zip code determines your education pretty much everywhere with varying levels of inequity). It's overplayed, but the languages absolutely allows you to circumnavigate both Lebanese society and foreign countries advantageously and almost seamlessly. Those all may be options in other countries, but they are not basically requirements of growing up there. Sciences education is also quite good both for young kids and in university.

There are also other more minor things, like regional placement and sectarian diversity can be conducive to a curiosity about different cultures that you never really have to confront elsewhere (it's also a problem, but I'm choosing to see it as an advantage, the little issue of political corruption and clientelism just has to be worked out). Not saying everyone uniformly benefits from this or sees it as a plus, but it's there if you want your kids to experience it. Also, there's a lot more engagement in politics (which I happen to think is good), even if not necessarily in voting (though the rate is pretty high, the 50% number is skewed by expats). But even if formal education doesn't provide this, almost everyone knows what's happening in government, unlike in much of the West where there's a sense of "none of that affects me" and for a lot of people it really doesn't affect their lives in any way.

These are just largely based on personal experience, not some sort of grand sociological experiment :) so I'm happy to hear other perspectives or you can just tell me "bala falsafeh none of this is true." But on principle, I don't think individualism obsessives and bootstraps neoliberals get to decide which countries suck and don't lol. Some of these categories are absolutely important, and on these basis alone, Lebanon deserves the abysmal scores it gets. But I think there's just a lot more to the value of raising kids than availability of parks and free public schools. Plus, giving Lebanon such low scores on heritage, cultural influence, and entrepreneurship pshhhhh, imma be skeptical of the rest of your rankings while sipping on my musar wine on offer in tons of random suburban restaurants on the US east and west coasts (jk jk, I can't afford the prices on Musar wine there). Plus, I may not like the approach or even agree with the reasoning or goals, but those kids who grew up in a country where raising kids sucks have time and again, generation after generation, rebelled against whatever malign entity had a stranglehold on their country. I like to think that reflects something about the consciousness of the society they were raised in that can't be quantified in a survey.

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    they would know wat a family looks like, learn several languages, have some culture, grow up not naive are some of the few things that come to mind
    Sure because they don't have families except in Lebanon, and everyone living in Lebanon does have one. Culture is of course exclusive to this place as well, and everyone on the planet other than the Lebanese is very naive 🙄.

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Orange Room Supporter
    Sure because they don't have families except in Lebanon, and everyone living in Lebanon does have one. Culture is of course exclusive to this place as well, and everyone on the planet other than the Lebanese is very naive 🙄.
    lol sure talk in absolutes and hide behind your thumb :)

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    lol sure talk in absolutes and hide behind your thumb :)
    That's actually what you did! My question was clear what exists in Lebanon that doesn't exist elsewhere and these were your responses I just made a snarky remark on them.

SAVO

SAVO

Lebanon hae good prospective .. if they had a smart leadership .. unfortunately there never was in its history .. maybe during fakhreddine and bachir II the only exception..

!Aoune32

!Aoune32

That's actually what you did! My question was clear what exists in Lebanon that doesn't exist elsewhere and these were your responses I just made a snarky remark on them.
    There is nothing special about Lebanon. It has nothing that other countries doesn't have.
    The only advantage is it is a small country so you can go to beach and be @ the mountains in 2 hours tops. food is pretty good and cheap compared to outside. I wont talk about family as that has gone out of the window also.

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Orange Room Supporter
    no i did not, i told u wat i think important things are for kids that i can find in lebanon and not in europe, i have interacted with enough europeans and i decided that i dont want my kids to have their limited exposure thank you very much.
    you are hiding behind ur thumb on many issues u stated, if u dont wana see it its ur problem

𓍝𓂀𓄃𓇼

𓍝𓂀𓄃𓇼

Orange Room Supporter
    Truthfully, this is something I constantly struggle with.

Canada is far better for raising kids than Lebanon in terms of education, job opportunities, health and safety.
    But Lebanon is far better for my mental health and for my kids to be in touch with their Lebanese roots.
    And a part of me doesn't feel like I want marriage. But a part of me does want kids running around in a big farm.

بيبقى حجر مرقوع لا صوت ولا روح
    بيت لمفيه ولاد تلعب على السطوح

Danny Z

Danny Z

Legendary Member
    Truthfully, this is something I constantly struggle with.

Canada is far better for raising kids than Lebanon in terms of education, job opportunities, health and safety.
    But Lebanon is far better for my mental health and for my kids to be in touch with their Lebanese roots.
    And a part of me doesn't feel like I want marriage. But a part of me does want kids running around in a big farm.

بيبقى حجر مرقوع لا صوت ولا روح
    بيت لمفيه ولاد تلعب على السطوح
    How about Dearborn as a compromise?

𓍝𓂀𓄃𓇼

𓍝𓂀𓄃𓇼

Orange Room Supporter
    How about Dearborn as a compromise?
    Why? Does it have more Lebanese?
    US aligns more with my political views. Michigan's open carry. How can I say no?
    I can easily see myself somewhere in remote Nebraska smoking my pipe.

Danny Z

Danny Z

Legendary Member
    Why? Does it have more Lebanese?
    US aligns more with my political views. Michigan's open carry. How can I say no?
    I can easily see myself somewhere in remote Nebraska smoking my pipe.
    Dearborn have few non Arab speaking people

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    no i did not, i told u wat i think important things are for kids that i can find in lebanon and not in europe, i have interacted with enough europeans and i decided that i dont want my kids to have their limited exposure thank you very much.
    you are hiding behind ur thumb on many issues u stated, if u dont wana see it its ur problem
    I understand you love your country and all but we don't seem to have had the same experiences. I think Europe is a far better place to raise children and it doesn't lack in any of the things you mentioned above! Certainly not family, definitely not cultural heritage, learning several languages is also a requirement in most European countries, and seriously? Not naive?

Your points were just repeats of what everyone tells themselves about Lebanon in order to feel better. We both left the country specifically to pursue our education and you're seriously telling me it's better to raise your kids there, and with such tired clichés that are not even true to boot ?