Lebanon Telecommunication Scam

Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
Hello,

Please can someone explain why on earth are Lebanon's telecommunication charges the most expensive in the universe? Why do I have to recharge my line every month with at least $10 or risk deactivation? What sort of blackmail is this? Is there no authority in Lebanon to regulate the telecommunications sector and charges? Or is someone sitting someone puffing cigar and having easy cash entering his pocket to cause the government to be silent? Is this logical? Please can someone shed more light on this issue?

• Advertisement
  • baleha

baleha

وضع قطاع الاتصالات في لبنان أشبه ما يكون "بالسطو المسلح": ادفع أو نقطع الخدمة (السيئة أصلا) وتخسر الخط.
    والسبب في ذلك معروف: الدولة حاميها (والقائمين عليها) حراميها، هم بأمس الحاجة الى حلب جيب المواطن لتمويل عهرهم ورواتبهم ومزاياهم وجيش العاطلين عن العمل (المتزلمين) المدرجين على جداول رواتب الوزارات والجهات الحكومية (عددهم بالآلآف).
    بلد وشعب أخو شرموطة الا من رحم ربي.​

Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
    وضع قطاع الاتصالات في لبنان أشبه ما يكون "بالسطو المسلح": ادفع أو نقطع الخدمة (السيئة أصلا) وتخسر الخط.
    والسبب في ذلك معروف: الدولة حاميها (والقائمين عليها) حراميها، هم بأمس الحاجة الى حلب جيب المواطن لتمويل عهرهم ورواتبهم ومزاياهم وجيش العاطلين عن العمل (المتزلمين) المدرجين على جداول رواتب الوزارات والجهات الحكومية (عددهم بالآلآف).
    بلد وشعب أخو شرموطة الا من رحم ربي.​
    Sha3eb akho sharmoota...iza el sha3eb we3e w mish ghaflen ma kan sar elli 3am bi seer.

Recently, I needed to make a trip to jbeil from dahieh with my family. A cab guy charged me 50,000 lira. That is $33 for a 35 to 40 KM journey. Where I live abroad, I pay less than $15 for a 45 KM trip with air-conditioning and even with Uber. And this is seen as expensive over there. With ordinary cab, I pay $10. Uber service is inactive in most parts of Lebanon (any reason?). Of course there's also the exorbitant price of fuel.

It is obvious Lebanon is no longer conducive for its people to live in. It is for the rich only. And those in power are not sensitive to the economic situation the ordinary lebanese is going through. Maybe I can afford something no matter the cost, but others can't. And even if we can afford certain things, it doesn't mean we should be scammed or looted.

Abroad, I use my sim card and not once have I been told I'd be stripped off my number if I dont recharge for a certain amount within a 30 days period. I had an old number abroad which I wasnt using for a year. Registered in my name. I decided to activate it after a year. I got a new SIM card with the same number still in my name and I loaded some money into the card and was using it normally.

I was once in Lebanon in April and I bought a SIM card. I travelled in May. I returned in September, and the SIM was dead and gone. I had to get a new SIM with a new number.

And guess what? Here is the big joke!

The operator in one of these telephone shops asked me if I had used my phone previously in Lebanon. I said yes. He said if you haven't used it before in Lebanon, you have to pay customs for it through Post Liban.

So this is what it means: you cannot bring in a new phone for personal use or be using a phone from abroad without paying customs on it. Who's the looter with such genius ideas? This is pure looting by the government. I now understand why many people do not vote in the elections. We are voting in for thieves to lord it over us or for a government protecting thieves or for a government watching idly while its people are looted by whoever. This has to stop!

Mrsrx

Mrsrx

Somehow a Member
    Staff member
    Sha3eb akho sharmoota...iza el sha3eb we3e w mish ghaflen ma kan sar elli 3am bi seer.

Recently, I needed to make a trip to jbeil from dahieh with my family. A cab guy charged me 50,000 lira. That is $33 for a 35 to 40 KM journey. Where I live abroad, I pay less than $15 for a 45 KM trip with air-conditioning and even with Uber. And this is seen as expensive over there. With ordinary cab, I pay $10. Uber service is inactive in most parts of Lebanon (any reason?). Of course there's also the exorbitant price of fuel.

It is obvious Lebanon is no longer conducive for its people to live in. It is for the rich only. And those in power are not sensitive to the economic situation the ordinary lebanese is going through. Maybe I can afford something no matter the cost, but others can't. And even if we can afford certain things, it doesn't mean we should be scammed or looted.

Abroad, I use my sim card and not once have I been told I'd be stripped off my number if I dont recharge for a certain amount within a 30 days period. I had an old number abroad which I wasnt using for a year. Registered in my name. I decided to activate it after a year. I got a new SIM card with the same number still in my name and I loaded some money into the card and was using it normally.

I was once in Lebanon in April and I bought a SIM card. I travelled in May. I returned in September, and the SIM was dead and gone. I had to get a new SIM with a new number.

And guess what? Here is the big joke!

The operator in one of these telephone shops asked me if I had used my phone previously in Lebanon. I said yes. He said if you haven't used it before in Lebanon, you have to pay customs for it through Post Liban.

So this is what it means: you cannot bring in a new phone for personal use or be using a phone from abroad without paying customs on it. Who's the looter with such genius ideas? This is pure looting by the government. I now understand why many people do not vote in the elections. We are voting in for thieves to lord it over us or for a government protecting thieves or for a government watching idly while its people are looted by whoever. This has to stop!
    You can make the same trip from Dahieh to jbeil using a shared cab for a lower price....the cab driver tried his luck and you said ok. With busses it would cost less the 5$ and in shared cabs less than 10$. In Lebanon you need to know the system to be able to get by as everyone is trying to make a buck off of everyone.

That said about the Telcos it is the same story i use my phone there and their system does not work that well i just go on and buy a SIM plug it in and voila it works. Lebanon has taken leaps in telcos (basically from the 80s to the early 2000s) in the last few year but still have a 10 year lag to europe and still the prices are way too high (as i said early 2000s)...
    But I have been to worse in terms of service, quotas and prices ... Even in the USA the offers were a bit high priced and the service lagged often! We still have a long long way to go but at least the telcos are one sector that is going forward very slowly....unlike transport, education, electricity, water.....

Edit: I think you have Uber in lebanon as well...not sure about the pricing though as i have never used it

Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
    You can make the same trip from Dahieh to jbeil using a shared cab for a lower price....the cab driver tried his luck and you said ok. With busses it would cost less the 5$ and in shared cabs less than 10$. In Lebanon you need to know the system to be able to get by as everyone is trying to make a buck off of everyone.
    I didnt need shared cab. I was with family members. I only brought this as an example. Its actually doesn't relate to the main topic.

This concept of everyone trying to rip the other is called "chaos". I dont need to know any system in order not to be ripped off. Its that simple. If I'm ripped because I do not know certain things, then such isn't even a system. It is complete chaos. You cannot justify such mess and ugly mentality.

That said about the Telcos it is the same story i use my phone there and their system does not work that well i just go on and buy a SIM plug it in and voila it works. Lebanon has taken leaps in telcos (basically from the 80s to the early 2000s) in the last few year but still have a 10 year lag to europe and still the prices are way too high (as i said early 2000s)...
    But I have been to worse in terms of service, quotas and prices ... Even in the USA the offers were a bit high priced and the service lagged often! We still have a long long way to go but at least the telcos are one sector that is going forward very slowly....unlike transport, education, electricity, water.....

Edit: I think you have Uber in lebanon as well...not sure about the pricing though as i have never used it
    I am not talking about taking leaps.

I am talking about telecommunication companies deactivating my SIM card and losing my number if I do not recharge within a 30 days period with an exorbitant $10. I do not live in the USA, in case you are assuming that. And is that the case in the USA? Do you lose your number and your sim card rendered useless for not recharging with a certain amount for a month period?

Do you also pay customs on a personal phone you bring into the USA?

You are justifying mess and chaos and rip offs.

Uber in Lebanon is probably only active in downtown Beirut! Lol

Mrsrx

Mrsrx

Somehow a Member
    Staff member
    I didnt need shared cab. I was with family members. I only brought this as an example. Its actually doesn't relate to the main topic.

This concept of everyone trying to rip the other is called "chaos". I dont need to know any system in order not to be ripped off. Its that simple. If I'm ripped because I do not know certain things, then such isn't even a system. It is complete chaos. You cannot justify such mess and ugly mentality.

I am not talking about taking leaps.

I am talking about telecommunication companies deactivating my SIM card and losing my number if I do not recharge within a 30 days period with an exorbitant $10. I do not live in the USA, in case you are assuming that. And is that the case in the USA? Do you lose your number and your sim card rendered useless for not recharging with a certain amount for a month period?

Do you also pay customs on a personal phone you bring into the USA?

You are justifying mess and chaos and rip offs.

Uber in Lebanon is probably only active in downtown Beirut! Lol
    Lol calma :) i am not defending lebanon i am saying for the people living in lebanon they get by by doing things differently

And in every single country in the world you lose your number when not recharging a prepaid or stop paying your invoice! so yea it is the case in the USA, in France, Sweden, Lebanon, Spain, UAE, UK and India (all countries i have had SIMs in ....even more i have worked in telcos in some of them) This is part of what is called Dunning! So to answer the question YES IT IS NORMAL you do not book a number forever without paying same way if you stop paying your online domain you lose it! The only difference is the time and how long to they keep it for you.

Lebanon is chaotic and i do not live in it either indeed but getting all angry about having your SIM die off on you is not worth it as if all my SIMs were still active i would be blocking over 30 numbers :)...That is how telcos work

Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
    Lol calma :) i am not defending lebanon i am saying for the people living in lebanon they get by by doing things differently

And in every single country in the world you lose your number when not recharging a prepaid or stop paying your invoice! so yea it is the case in the USA, in France, Sweden, Lebanon, Spain, UAE, UK and India (all countries i have had SIMs in ....even more i have worked in telcos in some of them) This is part of what is called Dunning! So to answer the question YES IT IS NORMAL you do not book a number forever without paying same way if you stop paying your online domain you lose it! The only difference is the time and how long to they keep it for you.

Lebanon is chaotic and i do not live in it either indeed but getting all angry about having your SIM die off on you is not worth it as if all my SIMs were still active i would be blocking over 30 numbers :)...That is how telcos work
    I think you're talking for talking sake if you say you are not defending what is wrong.

You get to lose your number if it is inactive for how long exactly in Europe and elsewhere? We are talking here about cost and period. In Lebanon, you get to keep your number by recharging a minimum of $10 and monthly. If you don't recharge within 30 days, you will lose it. Do Europeans and Americans face this? And even if they do, we are a f***ing third world country. And of course, Europeans and Americans do not face such scam. They are smarter than to be scammed in this way.

You are beating around bush, which I see as trying to cover up. Does your dad own one the companies or does he work there? So we can get things straight. Or maybe you work for them? Bala laft w dawaran.

I spoke about the high rate of cab services, and you said I could get a bus. I dont want a bus. I want a cab for a reasonable price and without being ripped off. Is that a problem?

You're talking of chaos and you are justifying it. A system is whereby there is a price regulatory body created by the ministry of transportation stipulating the cost of travelling from one point to another based on distance and time. That is called a system. When there is no regulations and everyone is trying to bite the flesh of the other, it is called chaos. It is a jungle. It isn't hard to regulate actually if there is will by the government. I know for example, using bus from one point to another within Beirut is a thousand lira. Similarly, long distances can be regulated. But its not and you call that a system.

Last edited:
    Mrsrx

Mrsrx

Somehow a Member
    Staff member
    I think you're talking for talking sake if you say you are not defending what is wrong.

You get to lose your number if it is inactive for how long exactly in Europe and elsewhere? We are talking here about cost and period. In Lebanon, you get to keep your number by recharging a minimum of $10 and monthly. If you don't recharge within 30 days, you will lose it.

You are beating around bush, which I see as trying to cover up. Does your dad own one the companies or does he work there? So we can get things straight. Or maybe you work for them? Bala laft w dawaran.

I spoke about the high rate of cab services, and you said I could get a bus. I dont want a bus. I want a cab for a reasonable price and without being ripped off. Is that a problem?

You're talking of chaos and you are justifying it. A system is whereby there is a price regulatory body created by the ministry of transportation stipulating the cost of travelling from one point to another bases on distance and time. That is called a system. When there is no regulations and everyone is trying to bite the flesh of the other, it is called chaos. It isn't hard to regulate actually if there is will by the government. I know for example, using bus from one point to another is a thousand lira. Similarly, long distances can be regulated. But its not and you call that a system.
    Why so aggressive?

No i am not beating around the bush you have a problem of explaining what you are pissed off about and go in all directions:
    1- Not happy with the transport system? fine it is not good as i mentioned before (and i have mentioned alternative ways that people use to get by as you said it is impossible to live in)
    2- you said it is not fair to disconnect a sim card? i said it is common practice (that was my main point)
    3- Not happy with the duration they keep your line? get in line we all are not and we all get by with it even if it is not optimal (learn how to buy a postpaid and put it on hold when you are out of the country it is way cheaper) FYI: in france like in lebanon the max is 1 year and your sim gets deactivated in the 24hours + reserved number for an extra 14 days....and in the next 60 days IF and only IF the number has not been attributed you can get it back by paying a fee....after that it is lost. so yea that an european example of what Orange does.

Anyway you are not interested in a logical discussion and with someone who knows the practices of the telcos and their darkside.....if you want to know about their darkside it is not what you are mentioning as more horrible stuff happen...and i wish my dad owned a telco company so that i wouldnt have to travel around the world to put food on my plate and pay my rent and i do not work in telcos anymore for various reasons so please keep your attacks for yourself

am out not really appreciating the tone :)

Last edited by a moderator:
    Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
    Why so aggressive?

No i am not beating around the bush you have a problem of explaining what you are pissed off about and go in all directions:
    1- Not happy with the transport system? fine it is not good as i mentioned before (and i have mentioned alternative ways that people use to get by as you said it is impossible to live in)
    2- you said it is not fair to disconnect a sim card? i said it is common practice (that was my main point)
    3- Not happy with the duration they keep your line? get in line we all are not and we all get by with it even if it is not optimal (learn how to buy a postpaid and put it on hold when you are out of the country it is way cheaper)

Anyway you are not interested in a logical discussion and with someone who knows the practices of the telcos and their darkside.....if you want to know about their darkside it is not what you are mentioning as more horrible stuff happen...and i wish my dad owned a telco company so that i wouldnt have to travel around the world to put food on my plate and pay my rent and i do not work in telcos anymore for various reasons so please keep your attacks for yourself

am out not really appreciating the tone :)
    Your contribution is not logical. It sounds more like a cover-up.

In other countries, you wouldn't lose your number within thirty days. I think I made that clear enough. In fact, the validity period after the last recharge is so long you'd hardly notice that you will lose your number if you don't recharge for a period. And why must it be $10? Why not $1 recharge every three months or six or hundred years to keep my line active? Its my own line. I choose how much money to load in it.

If you are not happy with something, you speak out. You dont justify or defend it and implicitly ask me to shut up by stating that people get along with it. I dont want to get along with it. I dont want to own a number. I want to protest. I want to speak out. What is your problem with that?

You are asking me to buy post paid. Why do I have to spend more? Will you buy it for me?

Mrsrx

Mrsrx

Somehow a Member
    Staff member
    Your contribution is not logical. It sounds more like a cover-up.

In other countries, you wouldn't lose your number within thirty days. I think I made that clear enough. In fact, the validity period after the last recharge is so long you'd hardly notice that it expires if you don't recharge for a period.

If you are not happy with something, you speak out. You dont justify or defend it and implicitly ask me to shut up by stating that people get along with it.

You are asking me to buy post paid. Why do I have to spend more? Will you buy it for me?
    1) wrong...i edited to put the example of france
    FYI: in france like in lebanon the max is 1 year and your sim gets deactivated in the 24hours + reserved number for an extra 14 days....and in the next 60 days IF and only IF the number has not been attributed you can get it back by paying a fee....after that it is lost. so yea that an european example of what Orange does.
    2) wrong...what part of cheaper you missed?

khalas anyway i am part of the big cover up conspiracy :)

HannaTheCrusader

HannaTheCrusader

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    wow that thread has all the dawesh

now that after the govt have been milked dry by their respective sects, sunnis, shias and druze

are out in force , crying looooooooooooool

wait toll $ hits 5000 hahahahha

they took a great nation under the marouniye siyassiye
    and turned it under a typical islmaic shithole under islamic rules

Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
    1) wrong...i edited to put the example of france
    FYI: in france like in lebanon the max is 1 year and your sim gets deactivated in the 24hours + reserved number for an extra 14 days....and in the next 60 days IF and only IF the number has not been attributed you can get it back by paying a fee....after that it is lost. so yea that an european example of what Orange does.
    2) wrong...what part of cheaper you missed?

khalas anyway i am part of the big cover up conspiracy :)
    So if we are saying the same thing and its wrong, what is your point?

If someone doesn't use a number for a while, a year as the case is in France, that means the number is useless to the owner. In Lebanon, we are talking of 30 days!!!! Can you hear that?!! Do you know the difference between 1 month and 12 months???

And you think that is not a scam?!!!

Is that a scam or not a scam?

opium

opium

Hello,

Please can someone explain why on earth are Lebanon's telecommunication charges the most expensive in the universe? Why do I have to recharge my line every month with at least $10 or risk deactivation? What sort of blackmail is this? Is there no authority in Lebanon to regulate the telecommunications sector and charges? Or is someone sitting someone puffing cigar and having easy cash entering his pocket to cause the government to be silent? Is this logical? Please can someone shed more light on this issue?
    Both companies are state owned, Alfa and MTC just get paid for their management and service.
    The government regulate and put the tariffs and quotas.
    Privatizing this sector now will lead to bankrupting our economy.

Mrsrx

Mrsrx

Somehow a Member
    Staff member
    So if we are saying the same thing and its wrong, what is your point?

If someone doesn't use a number for a while year, as the case is in France, the means the number is useless to the owner. In Lebanon, we are talking of 30 days!!!! Can you hear that?!! Do you know the difference between 1 month and 12 months???

And you think that is not a scam?!!!

Is that a scam or not a scam?
    Common are you doing this on purpose or do i have to explain everything:
    IN LEBANON you can pay for a full year or 30DAYS same as FRANCE
    IN FRANCE if you pay for 30days and do not recharge you get cut off within 24hours after the 30 DAYS!!!!!
    IN LEBANON if you pay for 30days and do not recharge you get cut off after the 30 DAYS!!!!!
    IN FRANCE if you pay for 1 year and do not recharge you get cut off within 24hours after the 1year!!!!!
    IN LEBANON if you pay for 1 year and do not recharge you get cut off after the 1year!!!!!

It is the same....(different prices as lebanon is 40% more expensive)

And your misconception of thinking prepaid is cheaper than postpaid is out of this world wrong...anyway friendly tip to get around this go buy only days from your corner reseller he will recharge your phone and retransfer all the $ charge to his phone and you pay a nominal fee! (saying this as i am nice and you can do that)
    When you decide to speak up if you are not happy it is usually way more effective if you have the slightest idea of what you are talking about and can use actual benchmarks to identify the areas you can get better at! Without knowledge speaking up is useless....so when someone offers a drip of knowledge about how the world works and in a field they know inside out be sure to listen.

Before reducing fees and prices what MTC and Alfa (outside their political corruption as that is another story) bill for the network cable protections that actually protect all their outlets from water when it rains? ...you know what they use? chatertone! that is why your connection drops its quality when it rains...
    You know your data is not protected whatsoever and every single employee in the company has access to your private information even your car registration number and home address? so if you fight an MTC employee and he has your car number he can have your home address?????
    You know that the data ration MTC and Alpha are selling is 70:1 where in every other country 20:1 is the norm? meaning 70 people pay for 1 connection instead of 20 which means 70 share the same MB instead of 20?
    You know that golden numbers are still being sold to mafias?
    You know that the money from the telcos to the network providers is billed 3 to 4 times on the state?

Yea if the problem is only the fees i would be happy...

Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
    Both companies are state owned, Alfa and MTC just get paid for their management and service.
    The government regulate and put the tariffs and quotas.
    Privatizing this sector now will lead to bankrupting our economy.
    Thanks for clarifying.

In which other country in the world are telecoms companies state owned in this age and time?

And we have representative we vote for?

Please can you elaborate on why privatization will bankrupt the economy? Apart from the fact that the government will stop looting its people.

Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
    Common are you doing this on purpose or do i have to explain everything:
    IN LEBANON you can pay for a full year or 30DAYS same as FRANCE
    IN FRANCE if you pay for 30days and do not recharge you get cut off within 24hours after the 30 DAYS!!!!!
    IN LEBANON if you pay for 30days and do not recharge you get cut off after the 30 DAYS!!!!!
    IN FRANCE if you pay for 1 year and do not recharge you get cut off within 24hours after the 1year!!!!!
    IN LEBANON if you pay for 1 year and do not recharge you get cut off after the 1year!!!!!

It is the same....(different prices as lebanon is 40% more expensive)

And your misconception of thinking prepaid is cheaper than postpaid is out of this world wrong...anyway friendly tip to get around this go buy only days from your corner reseller he will recharge your phone and retransfer all the $ charge to his phone and you pay a nominal fee! (saying this as i am nice and you can do that)
    When you decide to speak up if you are not happy it is usually way more effective if you have the slightest idea of what you are talking about and can use actual benchmarks to identify the areas you can get better at! Without knowledge speaking up is useless....so when someone offers a drip of knowledge about how the world works and in a field they know inside out be sure to listen.

Before reducing fees and prices what MTC and Alfa (outside their political corruption as that is another story) bill for the network cable protections that actually protect all their outlets from water when it rains? ...you know what they use? chatertone! that is why your connection drops its quality when it rains...
    You know your data is not protected whatsoever and every single employee in the company has access to your private information even your car registration number and home address? so if you fight an MTC employee and he has your car number he can have your home address?????
    You know that the data ration MTC and Alpha are selling is 70:1 where in every other country 20:1 is the norm? meaning 70 people pay for 1 connection instead of 20 which means 70 share the same MB instead of 20?
    You know that golden numbers are still being sold to mafias?
    You know that the money from the telcos to the network providers is billed 3 to 4 times on the state?

Yea if the problem is only the fees i would be happy...
    40% more! Compared to France. Thanks. That's all.

I dont need all the explanation. Its unnecessary. When its 40% cheaper in France, and they still have the option of monthly subscription, it is making it easier for the citizenry and not harder.

Your initial reaction of making things seem "normal" was wrong. Or maybe it is just the inner urge in you to tell us you are knowledgeable in this field and you have worked in it. Thanks for the insight. :)

Mrsrx

Mrsrx

Somehow a Member
    Staff member
    40% more! Compared to France. Thanks. That's all.

I dont need all the explanation. Its unnecessary. When its 40% cheaper in France, and they still have the option of monthly subscription, it is making it easier for the citizenry and not harder.

Your initial reaction of making things seem "normal" was wrong. Or maybe it is just the inner urge in you to tell us you are knowledgeable in this field and you have worked in it. Thanks for the insight. :)
    Price is only a simplistic way of looking at problems...and i would never set foot in a lebanese telco..or telcos in general again and would never be proud that i did...
    again look at the french benchmarking and arrival of free in the market it would explain much as france is one of the cheapest in the world

Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
    Price is only a simplistic way of looking at problems...and i would never set foot in a lebanese telco..or telcos in general again and would never be proud that i did...
    again look at the french benchmarking and arrival of free in the market it would explain much as france is one of the cheapest in the world
    Ya khayye, in this field, I am a layman. I dont understand all the intricacies. I asked from the first post for clarifications. All that I know is very simple: I am being scammed. And you agree to it. And that was the reason I started a thread.

Mrsrx

Mrsrx

Somehow a Member
    Staff member
    Ya khayye, in this field, I am a layman. I dont understand all the intricacies. I asked from the first post for clarifications. All that I know is very simple: I am being scammed. And you agree to it. And that was the reason I started a thread.
    In layman's terms ive seen people around the world being more scammed and was putting it perspective...as i said in my first post

opium

opium

Thanks for clarifying.

In which other country in the world are telecoms companies state owned in this age and time?

Please can you elaborate on why privatization will bankrupt the economy? Apart from the fact that the government will stop looting its people
    Thanks for clarifying.

Please can you elaborate on why privatization will bankrupt the economy? Apart from the fact that the government will stop looting its people.
    Thanks for clarifying.

In Lebanon, Cellis and Liban Cell started as private companies. They monopolized the sector and controlled the tariffs. So going private doesn't mean the prices will decrease, unless you add a 3rd and a 4th license but in this case the government will collect peanuts only as the operating and investment cost is huge)
    If you sell Alfa and MTC now, they will make max. 1.5 billion up front and maybe much less depending on which network life cycle they will sell( Network life cycle age is max 4 years, so each 4 years you have to reinvest in a new network. Since the start of GSM, the evolution came like 1G,2G,3G,4G and now 5G ). Competition will reduce the tariffs and income will drop( Especially if you add new licenses)

Now the gov is approx. making 400 million profit per year(removing ALFA+MTC operation cost, plus reinvestment) . But when the gov is 100 billion USD in debt, they cannot afford losing this income.