Lebanon Telecommunication Scam

Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
In Lebanon, Cellis and Liban Cell started as private companies. They monopolized the sector and controlled the tariffs. So going private doesn't mean the prices will decrease, unless you add a 3rd and a 4th license but in this case the government will collect peanuts only as the operating and investment cost is huge)
If you sell Alfa and MTC now, they will make max. 1.5 billion up front and maybe much less depending on which network life cycle they will sell( Network life cycle age is max 4 years, so each 4 years you have to reinvest in a new network. Since the start of GSM, the evolution came like 1G,2G,3G,4G and now 5G ). Competition will reduce the tariffs and income will drop( Especially if you add new licenses)

Now the gov is approx. making 400 million profit per year(removing ALFA+MTC operation cost, plus reinvestment) . But when the gov is 100 billion USD in debt, they cannot afford losing this income.
Nice...the government will someday tax the air we breath.

So the government is ripping the people off to supposedly settle some debts that haven't made any positive impact on the life of the average citizen and uphold the expensive lifestyle of politicians with private jets, yachts and mansions, who are leading millions living little above or below the poverty line. What do such politicians deserve as punishment? Is Israel truly the enemy number one or our politicians? Perhaps under foreign rule we could have better life than such our politicians are giving to us.

• Advertisement
  • Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
    Lebanon is long ripe for a one man rule like Assad in Syria. One patriotic ruler whose only allegiance is to Lebanon and who cares for the people. Who will rule with an iron fist based on national interests and crush all dissent and cut off the ineffective and incompetent sharp tongues filled with sectarian venom. and that ruler matter not if he comes from any of the 18 sects or outside them.

This Lebanon is not one day going to be an Islamic republic (Iranian style), nor will it become a hariri kingdom (Saudi style) and it will never be another Vatican city or western styled democracy. Lebanon is Lebanon and will remain Lebanon. A Lebanon for all Lebanese, with all Lebanese and of all Lebanese. The politicians have succeeded in using the sectarian quotas and discrimination in public life to milk the people for their selfish interests. They have used sectarianism to make each citizen be afraid or intimidated of the other and remain divided. When the politicians are happy and in agreement, they milk the people. When they disagree, they make the people fight for them and kill each other and die! Either ways, its death for the people!! Only that the first option is a slower and more torturous death than the latter.

L

lebanese1

Legendary Member
    Lebanon is long ripe for a one man rule like Assad in Syria. One patriotic ruler whose only allegiance is to Lebanon and who cares for the people. Who will rule with an iron fist based on national interests and crush all dissent and cut off the ineffective and incompetent sharp tongues filled with sectarian venom. and that ruler matter not if he comes from any of the 18 sects or outside them.
    I suggest Nabih Berri or Franjieh

opium

opium

Nice...the government will someday tax the air we breath.

So the government is ripping the people off to supposedly settle some debts that haven't made any positive impact on the life of the average citizen and uphold the expensive lifestyle of politicians with private jets, yachts and mansions, who are leading millions living little above or below the poverty line. What do such politicians deserve as punishment? Is Israel truly the enemy number one or our politicians? Perhaps under foreign rule we could have better life than such our politicians are giving to us.
    Lebanon is by no mean a high taxable country. I agree that GSM tariffs rates are high, but you cannot deny that it used to be the double few years ago.

opium

opium

This Lebanon is not one day going to be an Islamic republic (Iranian style), nor will it become a hariri kingdom (Saudi style) and it will never be another Vatican city or western styled democracy. Lebanon is Lebanon and will remain Lebanon. A Lebanon for all Lebanese, with all Lebanese and of all Lebanese. The politicians have succeeded in using the sectarian quotas and discrimination in public life to milk the people for their selfish interests. They have used sectarianism to make each citizen be afraid or intimidated of the other and remain divided. When the politicians are happy and in agreement, they milk the people. When they disagree, they make the people fight for them and kill each other and die! Either ways, its death for the people!! Only that the first option is a slower and more torturous death than the latter.
    Wow all that nag and you find Assad Regime as a role model? You lost it all here lol.

Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
    Wow all that nag and you find Assad Regime as a role model? You lost it all here lol.
    It is not a "role model"... It is a suitable model in the case of Lebanon, where its pseudo-democracy doesn't seem to be working properly and not transitioning into a fully democratic state. Its almost 30 years after the civil war and no transition from the sectarian state/confessional system. The leaders have found a way to use what is in place to share the booties. A ruthless leader to flush out the rot of corrupt sectarian leaders and warlords and instill discipline into the indiscipline youth and population is needed. It is a necessary evil for Lebanon.

Raficoo

Raficoo

To give a comparison: I was in Poland this summer and I bought a normal prepaid line from Orange for the equivalent of 2,000 L.L and your line is valid for a year, however you will need to recharge monthly to keep your calling and text sending abilities., and depending how much you recharge each time determines how many extra 'active' days you get. Telecoms is dirt cheap there compared to here, they have this awesome offer to any prepaid line: unlimited calls and text to any phone in the whole country AND 15 GBs mobile internet...ANNDDDD 1.6GB mobile roaming in other EU countries for only $8/month!! and get this, each month you automatically recharge the offer you receive an additional GB increment (16 next month, 17 the month after, etc...) to your mobile internet!

And don't get me started when it comes to wired internet services:
    Ogero ($60/month for the currently fastest '4mbit/s' unlimited option):
    Ogero.png

UPC( a private European ISP company):
    $32/month for '250/20' + 108 TV channels(including some HD channels). Oh btw, a month ago the company upgrade this plan to 300/30.
    UPC.png

Each neighborhood there has 3 to 5 ISPs competing for customers, now you could argue that in Lebanon you have Ogero and IDM and Sodetel, Cyberia, etc... main difference though, is that private ISPs are allowed to acquire bandwidth capacities without having to get it from the main state-owned ISP (Orange in this case), while in Lebanon you must acquire your bandwidth from Ogero, the state-owned telecom/ISP whom also wants customers.... sure sounds competitive doesn't it?;)

With such competition, it developed to a point where a major ISP there is starting to offer this:
    10 gbit.png

10 GIGABIT SYMMETRICAL internet for $107/month, that's 10,000 (Ten Thousand) Megabits per second

Now, in all fairness, Ogero's chairman did announce times and zones in Lebanon that are supposed to be upgraded with FTTx technologies, but there's still the matter of prices for the services. Sure thing, one day you might be able to apply for VDSL and fiber, but with the first case, you'll have to switch to a limited data cap, and the funny thing here, is for a private ISP to change or rather, upgrade their plans, they have to wait for Ogero to upgrade their plans, and in turn, they also have to wait for a ministerial cabinet meeting just to upgrade the bloody plan!!! eza 6 months and we're still without a new government, how much would we need for a new decree lakan:rolleyes:
    Speedtest Global Index – Monthly comparisons of internet speeds from around the world (Note the "See Less" button below)
    Speedtest.png

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Hello,

Please can someone explain why on earth are Lebanon's telecommunication charges the most expensive in the universe? Why do I have to recharge my line every month with at least $10 or risk deactivation? What sort of blackmail is this? Is there no authority in Lebanon to regulate the telecommunications sector and charges? Or is someone sitting someone puffing cigar and having easy cash entering his pocket to cause the government to be silent? Is this logical? Please can someone shed more light on this issue?
    Keep electing the likes of Berri. And make his friend, Franjiyeh, president. They will fix your problems.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    wow that thread has all the dawesh

now that after the govt have been milked dry by their respective sects, sunnis, shias and druze

are out in force , crying looooooooooooool

wait toll $ hits 5000 hahahahha

they took a great nation under the marouniye siyassiye
    and turned it under a typical islmaic shithole under islamic rules
    I suggest Nabih Berri or Franjieh
    Looks like we all had the same reaction to this thread.

AtheistForYeezus

AtheistForYeezus

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I think the prices are reasonable and the 4G service excellent.

Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
    I needed to call the customer care of my service provider. And it was very annoying or maybe funny.

What was annoying wasn't the discovery that I made. That you have to wait for the validity period of an internet subscription to elapse before you can subscribe to a cheaper subscription, even if you have exhausted the MBs. Let's say you subscribe with $10 (for 500MB) for a week or a month. And the $10 (of 500MB) subscription is exhausted. You cannot subscribe with $5 (for 200MB) until the validity period of the $10 elapses even though your MBs are gone and you're willing to use your money to subscribe for an option you can afford at that given moment. You however can continue using the net by subscribing for a more expensive option (let's say, 1GB for $20). That was the explanation I got.

Now the annoying and funny part:

I chose English as my language option. A soft spoken girl or lady responded. One that you can imagine to be 5ft, with very white complexion, a round face and big colored eyes and silky black hair on a high heel that is over 5ft! And this girl was struggling at providing an explanation in English to my query: why can't I subscribe before the validity period of my subscription elapses. She used "ya3neh" in almost every sentence while she stuttered. What does "ya3neh" mean? I was about getting an English dictionary to check if there is word in English that is "ya3neh". Ya3neh what?! Baby girl, you struggle to speak English, how did you make it to the position of customer care agent in a telecommunications company? My friend suggested it is "wasta". I dunno how true that is!!

Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
    Looks like we all had the same reaction to this thread.
    And I sincerely hope you guys dont believe the FPM is the alternative either! When we all genuinely agree to stop voting for the same people, then we can move ahead.

Your party has held on to the energy ministry for how many years exactly? Where's the electricity? Please provide electricity! And stop hiring electricity vessel like food on delivery, using an expensive Turkish vessel.

Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
    Another problem is the fact that we are charged in "dollars". Why would telecommunications company in Lebanon, not in the USA, charge its customers in dollars? Why not in lira? Have we become officially a US colony? Its all the same money value through conversion, but symbolically, our psyche and existence are colonized without noticing it! I want to live to see the day a business in America will charge its clients in Lebanese Lira!!!

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    And I sincerely hope you guys dont believe the FPM is the alternative either! When we all genuinely agree to stop voting for the same people, then we can move ahead.

Your party has held on to the energy ministry for how many years exactly? Where's the electricity? Please provide electricity! And stop hiring electricity vessel like food on delivery, using an expensive Turkish vessel.
    Ask Berri why he held up the funds for the electricity projects FPM wanted to implement. And ask him why he refuses to give up the finance ministry, as if it's his personal property.

The kelloun ya3ni kelloun slogan is empty and meaningless. Some parties work to implement projects, while others monopolize ministries to block those projects.

!Aoune32

!Aoune32

Ask Berri why he held up the funds for the electricity projects FPM wanted to implement. And ask him why he refuses to give up the finance ministry, as if it's his personal property.

The kelloun ya3ni kelloun slogan is empty and meaningless. Some parties work to implement projects, while others monopolize ministries to block those projects.
    Ask Berri what the hell he has done to Litani down south??? What has he done for the actual south?? Sheep keep on voting for him.

AtheistForYeezus

AtheistForYeezus

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I feel bad for @Rachel Corrie. He sounds smart and very well-educated (unlike most Berri supporters) but seemingly full of hatred and very influenced by his pro-Berri entourage, which makes him unable to think rationally.

Hopefully he'll see the light one day.

Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
    Please stop the false accusation. I am not a Berri supporter/follower.

The difference between me and you is simple. I recognize the fact Berri has his positives and also has his negatives. Like all politicians in Lebanon. He is not the devil incarnate that FPMers want to make him appear as.

Personally, I believe he should retire. He can anoint someone to take over from him and play a guardian or godfather role away from public office. It is inconceivable that someone can be speaker in Lebanon for almost three decades. But its part of the sectarian parliamentary dictatorship in existence in Lebanon. Who wouldn't want to hold on forever and monopolized his sect?

Last edited:
    H

HappyFingaz

Sha3eb akho sharmoota...iza el sha3eb we3e w mish ghaflen ma kan sar elli 3am bi seer.

Recently, I needed to make a trip to jbeil from dahieh with my family. A cab guy charged me 50,000 lira. That is $33 for a 35 to 40 KM journey. Where I live abroad, I pay less than $15 for a 45 KM trip with air-conditioning and even with Uber. And this is seen as expensive over there. With ordinary cab, I pay $10. Uber service is inactive in most parts of Lebanon (any reason?). Of course there's also the exorbitant price of fuel.

It is obvious Lebanon is no longer conducive for its people to live in. It is for the rich only. And those in power are not sensitive to the economic situation the ordinary lebanese is going through. Maybe I can afford something no matter the cost, but others can't. And even if we can afford certain things, it doesn't mean we should be scammed or looted.

Abroad, I use my sim card and not once have I been told I'd be stripped off my number if I dont recharge for a certain amount within a 30 days period. I had an old number abroad which I wasnt using for a year. Registered in my name. I decided to activate it after a year. I got a new SIM card with the same number still in my name and I loaded some money into the card and was using it normally.

I was once in Lebanon in April and I bought a SIM card. I travelled in May. I returned in September, and the SIM was dead and gone. I had to get a new SIM with a new number.

And guess what? Here is the big joke!

The operator in one of these telephone shops asked me if I had used my phone previously in Lebanon. I said yes. He said if you haven't used it before in Lebanon, you have to pay customs for it through Post Liban.

So this is what it means: you cannot bring in a new phone for personal use or be using a phone from abroad without paying customs on it. Who's the looter with such genius ideas? This is pure looting by the government. I now understand why many people do not vote in the elections. We are voting in for thieves to lord it over us or for a government protecting thieves or for a government watching idly while its people are looted by whoever. This has to stop!
    The customs charge is news to me. I was there earlier in the year with my phone and no-one said anything about customs payment. The guy was having you on. I think next time do things through a family member or a Lebanese friend if you can. As others have said, just buy a Lebanese SIM card and you’ll be fine. I didn’t think the prices were THAT exorbitant, but then I’m from Australia and mobile prices there are a total joke.