Lebanon Telecommunication Scam

Muki

Muki

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
I have a better solution (better than @mrsrx's coverup):
Go to Israel -- you do not lose your # after you buy a SIM, even if you do not recharge it.

Problem solved!

• Advertisement
  • Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
    The customs charge is news to me. I was there earlier in the year with my phone and no-one said anything about customs payment. The guy was having you on. I think next time do things through a family member or a Lebanese friend if you can. As others have said, just buy a Lebanese SIM card and you’ll be fine. I didn’t think the prices were THAT exorbitant, but then I’m from Australia and mobile prices there are a total joke.
    I actually got a text message from the ministry of telecommunications in that line that my phone was earlier used with another number.

And with it came a link in Arabic with long explanations.

This is the message:

"Dear Subscriber, this...device with IMEI...was already used on another mobile number. For more info, visit وزارة الإتصالات - MIRS

Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
    And this should continue
    Hopefully this way the people finally boycott the untouchable duty free shops of Da7iye
    I think you're deranged and you have an abnormal fixation on dahiyeh, HA, and Shia as a whole. So if someone brings a phone from abroad, a phone you're using, you will have to pay custom for it. And you think that is normal or targeting a section.

How many shops in dahiyeh have you been to before you vomited your racist/sectarian venom? If this was targeting Dahiyeh, such a law won't have passed. And it won't stand. We will bring it down and bring down the head of its maker and shove it in your .... But this is targeting everyone, especially the poor. It isn't a sectarian or one sided matter. And the govt is using it as a means to rob the people. Imagine a tourist arrives Lebanon and he has to pay custom for his phone...ridiculous.

Resign

Resign

Orange Room Supporter
    I think you're deranged and you have an abnormal fixation on dahiyeh, HA, and Shia as a whole. So if someone brings a phone from abroad, a phone you're using, you will have to pay custom for it. And you think that is normal or targeting a section.

How many shops in dahiyeh have you been to before you vomited your racist/sectarian venom? If this was targeting Dahiyeh, such a law won't have passed. And it won't stand. We will bring it down and bring down the head of its maker and shove it in your .... But this is targeting everyone, especially the poor. It isn't a sectarian or one sided matter. And the govt is using it as a means to rob the people. Imagine a tourist arrives Lebanon and he has to pay custom for his phone...ridiculous.
    Spare me your bullshit,
    Each time someone brings up your lawlessness, you accuse him of being sectarian and racist, give me a f*cking break, you follow the law so we stop criticizing you.

it's a well established fact that Da7iye is a duty free haven for smuggled goods.
    Amhaz for example became a household name for mobile sales.
    Any phone you can imagine, is well cheaper in Da7iye than anywhere else, ever asked yourself why ? - and this question is not address to you, because i'm sure you know very well what i'm talking about.
    same for clothes and footwear, perfumes, Original Xbox/PS4 video games, anything really.

As for the second part,
    No the person who evaded to pay his custom fees is the one robbing the people, everyone in Lebanon know that most goods sold in Da7iye are smuggled, it is our duty to boycott these shops, and i think the government's initiative (if any.., assuming the picture you posted is legit) encourages that and in my opinion is welcome.

As for the tourist, he will simply ignore the notice (which i doubt he'll get any, my phone is bought abroad, never got any such notice and i did insert a Lebanese sim in it)
    If you bought your phone and used it abroad, it'll be registered somewhere else anyway.

Last edited:
    opium

opium

How is this law robbing poor people? Please explain?
    The tourists or anyone else coming from outside will have a free period up to 6 months( With multiple entries) to use his phone before he is obliged to pay the tax.
    This law is only targeting smugglers and corrupted merchants( From all regions/sects) who are getting unfair advantage. In addition harming the treasury with false customs declaration and in dodging the tax system.

Jorje

Jorje

Legendary Member
    The tourists or anyone else coming from outside will have a free period up to 6 months( With multiple entries) to use his phone before he is obliged to pay the tax.
    This law is only targeting smugglers and corrupted merchants( From all regions/sects) who are getting unfair advantage. In addition harming the treasury with false customs declaration and in dodging the tax system.
    How is targeting citizen customers equivalent to targeting smugglers? You don't think they know who the smugglers are and cant follow/arrest them if they need to? *big f*ckin rolleye*

opium

opium

How is targeting citizen customers equivalent to targeting smugglers? You don't think they know who the smugglers are and cant follow/arrest them if they need to? *big f*ckin rolleye*
    How is this law targeting citizens? Please explain? Citizens now are just obliged to buy taxed phones from trusted sources.
    Many smugglers are known but a lot not known. Anyone can simply smuggle 2-3 iphones in his baggage. That alone will cost the treasury USD 200 per phone.
    Kamel Amhaz been in this business since + 20 years ago. Everybody in Lebanon knows about him. He was arrested few years ago for short declaring a shipment at the airport. He was swiftly released because of his political cover.

Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
    Spare me your bullshit,
    Each time someone brings up your lawlessness, you accuse him of being sectarian and racist, give me a f*cking break, you follow the law so we stop criticizing you.

it's a well established fact that Da7iye is a duty free haven for smuggled goods.
    Amhaz for example became a household name for mobile sales.
    Any phone you can imagine, is well cheaper in Da7iye than anywhere else, ever asked yourself why ? - and this question is not address to you, because i'm sure you know very well what i'm talking about.
    same for clothes and footwear, perfumes, Original Xbox/PS4 video games, anything really.
    Food is more affordable in Dahiyeh than in other areas. Ever asked yourself why?

If you're dumb to be fleeced or there are godforsaken thieves in your areas, its your problem.

Half farrouj mishweh in Beirut is 15,000LL. In dahiyeh, a full farrouj with chips and other side servings is 10,000 LL.

Maybe the chickens are also smuggled from abroad.

I have seen and heard christian brothers coming to dahiyeh restaurants and fast foods to buy food because it is more affordable.

As for the second part,
    No the person who evaded to pay his custom fees is the one robbing the people, everyone in Lebanon know that most goods sold in Da7iye are smuggled, it is our duty to boycott these shops, and i think the government's initiative (if any.., assuming the picture you posted is legit) encourages that and in my opinion is welcome.

As for the tourist, he will simply ignore the notice (which i doubt he'll get any, my phone is bought abroad, never got any such notice and i did insert a Lebanese sim in it)
    If you bought your phone and used it abroad, it'll be registered somewhere else anyway.
    No one is begging for your patronage.

It is racist and sectarian when you make corruption and lawlessness appear the bastion of a community. As if you have no corrupt people and thieves in your areas and community.

Resign

Resign

Orange Room Supporter
    It is racist and sectarian when you make corruption and lawlessness appear the bastion of a community. As if you have no corrupt people and thieves in your areas and community.
    Unfortunately yes
    Hezbollah and Amal are the heads of corruption and lawlessness in this country.

There are corrupt people and thieves everywhere, however the difference is you do it 3a 3aine w 3ainak ya tejir

Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
    So that is fine...I am not against the govt doing it's job or people paying taxes. I am against the comment of a bigot making it seem that corruption and national problems are limited to one community. He is trying to demonize and alienate others.

As for the law to make users pay tax for their phones, it still doesn't make sense. If you bring a phone as a gift from abroad, you will have to pay tax for it. Lol

Our govt is levying high taxes to make the life of people more difficult and hellish. The telecoms charges are very expensive. One of the most expensive, if not the most expensive in the entire world.

Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
    Unfortunately yes
    Hezbollah and Amal are the heads of corruption and lawlessness in this country.

There are corrupt people and thieves everywhere, however the difference is you do it 3aine w 3ainak ya tejir
    You're free to believe whatever you like. But you're making false claims. If you say Amal officials are corrupt, marra2nelkon yeha. You're grouping Hezballah too. As a party, Hezballah is the least corrupt among ALL Lebanese parties. They are clean when it comes to public funds. Of course, your racism can't make you be fair and honest. Its a community thing to you, so you have to group both the good people and the ones with allegations against them.

You didnt answer the first part of my post. Are foods also smuggled into dahiyeh? Why is food more expensive in other parts of Beirut? I can give more examples aside the price of farrouj, if you like. We can start with the breakfast- prices of mana2ish, labneh etc.

You're happy to make life difficult for people, thinking it only affects one community. The man who burnt himself because he couldn't pay his daughter's school fees was Christian...that's just a reminder. Those who come to dahiyeh from their areas to buy food at more affordable prices are from other communities. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

Resign

Resign

Orange Room Supporter
    You didnt answer the first part of my post. Are foods also smuggled into dahiyeh? Why is food more expensive in other parts of Beirut? I can give more examples aside the price of farrouj, if you like. We can start with the breakfast- prices of mana2ish, labneh etc.
    Ya 7abib those aren’t imported
    We don’t pay customs 3a djej wl Labne taba3na
    Don’t change the subject, a Phone has a universal price. Except in Da7iye

Hezbollah and Amal ran and covered smugglers for decades.
    They run their own state at our expense.

They’re both lawless and corrupt.

Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
    Ya 7abib those aren’t imported
    We don’t pay customs 3a djej wl Labne taba3na
    Don’t change the subject, a Phone has a universal price. Except in Da7iye

Hezbollah and Amal ran and covered smugglers for decades.
    They run their own state at our expense.

They’re both lawless and corrupt.
    But why are the prices of items, that aren't even imported, higher in other areas?

Maybe there are apple, Samsung phone factories in dahiyeh lol

Resign

Resign

Orange Room Supporter
    But why are the prices of items, that aren't even imported, higher in other areas?

Maybe there are apple, Samsung phone factories in dahiyeh lol
    Lebanon is a free market, you are free to price your merchandise the way you want.

However,
    If you’re a shop owner and you try to sell a 500$ Phone for a 10$ profit over its wholesale price

Somehow a guy in Da7iye is selling it for 450$

Lebanese Pride

Lebanese Pride

Orange Room Supporter
    Food is more affordable in Dahiyeh than in other areas. Ever asked yourself why?
    Cost cutting 3a 7seb hygiene/expired goods used in food preparations/Smelly Syrian workers/etc...

This is also available in other parts of the country.

I personally boycott any place that employs Syrians in the kitchen instead of Lebanese hence why I mostly eat at home now.

Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
    Cost cutting 3a 7seb hygiene/expired goods used in food preparations/Smelly Syrian workers/etc...

This is also available in other parts of the country.

I personally boycott any place that employs Syrians in the kitchen instead of Lebanese hence why I mostly eat at home now.
    Tayyeb, ive bought the same food in dahieh and in ashrafiyyeh. Both places employ Syrians. And there's still price difference. The price is double in ashrafiyyeh. You can try the experiment too.

W ma7a dirty w smelly ghairak w ashkelak.

!Aoune32

!Aoune32

Tayyeb, ive bought the same food in dahieh and in ashrafiyyeh. Both places employ Syrians. And there's still price difference. The price is double in ashrafiyyeh. You can try the experiment too.

W ma7a dirty w smelly ghairak w ashkelak.
    This is normal in Lebanon. Why does a house in Zgharta cost more than one in Tripoli? Why does one in Koura cost more than one in Dinnieh? Why does one in Batroun cost more than one in Akkar?
    The question is enta go ask yourself. Plain and Simple!