Lebanon: the identity crisis

loubnaniTO

loubnaniTO

Legendary Member
Staff member
Super Penguin
Not only we are deeply divided when it comes to soccer or basketball, we have to always be divided when it comes to foreign crises...

and not only we are divided in our opinions of foreign crises, but we suffer from an identity crisis, so deep that we approach the event horizon of identity confusion.

We forgot we were Lebanese in the 50s; we forgot we are Lebanese in 75 when we were divided between pro-Palestinian/Arab, pro-West; we forgot we were Lebanese when the Syrian conflict erupted and we became pro-Assad vs. anti-Assad; and now we forget we are Lebanese in the Saudi-Iranian conflict.

We are now divided. Pro Iran vs Pro Saudi Arabia. So divided, we can easily start a war.

For one group of Lebanese, Iranians are angels and Saudi Arabia is the ultimate evil supporting ISIS, and for the opposing group Saudi Arabia is our fairy godmother (in lieu of France) and Iran is the ultimate evil.

One group bashes Iran left and right, calls them terrorists and wilayat el faqih... but God forbids SHN attacks Saudi Arabia on TV, the minister sends a formal apology to Iran. Walaww, Saudi Arabia helps lebanon, employs thousands, and sends us billions of dollars

The other group bashes Saudi Arabia and calls them Terrorists, but God forbids anyone criticizes Iran, walaww they support the resistance and rebuilt the southern suburb.

Hearing the news lately makes me sick. We don't care what we have in common within our country, we don't care about making our lives better, our economy better, our rights better, our country better.. .we only care who will win, Saudia or Iran? Our lives now hang on what's happening in Yemen (in lieu of Syria). Whether or who we will get for President depends on the nuclear talks between Iran and the US, and how Saudi Arabia will react...

let's admit it... we are pathetic. We are immature..

• Advertisement
  • Goku

Goku

Legendary Member
    I think we are not all that different from other small countries who at some point in their history were overly influenced by outside powers with client lords on the inside.

We might have some particularities. But if the country is around in a few generations, hopefully the politics that be would have allowed a more independent existence. Right now, it sucks big time.

loubnaniTO

loubnaniTO

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Super Penguin
    I think we are not all that different from other small countries who at some point in their history were overly influenced by outside powers with client lords on the inside.

We might have some particularities. But if the country is around in a few generations, hopefully the politics that be would have allowed a more independent existence. Right now, it sucks big time.
    1) i think we are way more divided than any average small country. We are divided internally all the time, and we always look for outside powers to help us against each other... that's not really very common for other countries.

2) trust me, in a few generations, we won't be any different. We have been like that probably throughout history. It is that sectarian mentality that aligns each sect with whoever supports it against other sects. 1945 was a short lived period where the Lebanese sort of united, relinquished their outside supporters in order to create an independent country... but otherwise we have been divided.

i think the only way we are going to change is to have a POWERFUL leadership (call it mini-dictatorship) that would minimize the political powers of religious leaders and focus on human value and rights... like what happened in Turkey after the ottomans.

CitizenOfTheRepublic

CitizenOfTheRepublic

Legendary Member
    [...]i think the only way we are going to change is to have a POWERFUL leadership (call it mini-dictatorship) that would minimize the political powers of religious leaders and focus on human value and rights... like what happened in Turkey after the ottomans.
    Try Singapore.

Abou Sandal

Abou Sandal

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Ukraine: Pro-Isis VS Pro-Russia

Btw...This dichotomy is taking form in almost every country throughout the World, which I've been warning for few years now, that this was not engineered to end up well. Wherever you do not have multiple camps, but only 2, that are antagonized against each others, you can be sure that something is simply not right.

And the whole Planet is now being divided M8/M14 style...Each country having its own specificity, yet all parts ending up on the Global scale, either on this side, or on the other.

To make it short, one today is either with the Empire, or against it. No middle ground seems to be allowed or at least possible.

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Not only we are deeply divided when it comes to soccer or basketball, we have to always be divided when it comes to foreign crises...

and not only we are divided in our opinions of foreign crises, but we suffer from an identity crisis, so deep that we approach the event horizon of identity confusion.

We forgot we were Lebanese in the 50s; we forgot we are Lebanese in 75 when we were divided between pro-Palestinian/Arab, pro-West; we forgot we were Lebanese when the Syrian conflict erupted and we became pro-Assad vs. anti-Assad; and now we forget we are Lebanese in the Saudi-Iranian conflict.

We are now divided. Pro Iran vs Pro Saudi Arabia. So divided, we can easily start a war.

For one group of Lebanese, Iranians are angels and Saudi Arabia is the ultimate evil supporting ISIS, and for the opposing group Saudi Arabia is our fairy godmother (in lieu of France) and Iran is the ultimate evil.

One group bashes Iran left and right, calls them terrorists and wilayat el faqih... but God forbids SHN attacks Saudi Arabia on TV, the minister sends a formal apology to Iran. Walaww, Saudi Arabia helps lebanon, employs thousands, and sends us billions of dollars

The other group bashes Saudi Arabia and calls them Terrorists, but God forbids anyone criticizes Iran, walaww they support the resistance and rebuilt the southern suburb.

Hearing the news lately makes me sick. We don't care what we have in common within our country, we don't care about making our lives better, our economy better, our rights better, our country better.. .we only care who will win, Saudia or Iran? Our lives now hang on what's happening in Yemen (in lieu of Syria). Whether or who we will get for President depends on the nuclear talks between Iran and the US, and how Saudi Arabia will react...

let's admit it... we are pathetic. We are immature..
    That's without going into the Arabs vs Phoenicians debate.

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    The government in Beirut is ineffective.
    Do you think decentralization could help?

loubnaniTO

loubnaniTO

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Super Penguin
    what we need is KAFFEIN 3al meshe for every Lebanese, with a reminder of our national anthem... KOULLOUNA LEL WATAN. With a footnote saying "watan = Lebanon, not Saudia, Not Iran, Not Syria, Not USA, Not Yemen, Not Iraq, Not Zimbabwe, etc"

Bandar

Bandar

Orange Room Supporter
    identity crisis? what idnettiy crises? we have an alliance crises. all lebabense love money and girls. who can give it to us ksa or iran that is the equarnitons.

DLT

DLT

Orange Room Supporter
    Identity crisis will be over when
    there is an agreement among the big countries
    and when there is a new generation of leaders in Lebanon

Bandar

Bandar

Orange Room Supporter
    the truth is. we doestroyed out doutnry in 1975. game over. we have bene in the trap for 40 years. lebaneom is doomed unless we really pull something out of our ass.is it gona happen? some people are smart enough to realize that the logic and sense and knowledge that they feel...the other side if feels the exact same thing but exact opposite politically. so who made us this way. what is the purpose. who benefits from a split lebanon....syria and israel...because lebanese are truly something more special than our neigh hobors. everyone lebanese understand it and knows it. but how do we make it hapen. that is the question

loubnaniTO

loubnaniTO

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Super Penguin
    identity crisis? what idnettiy crises? we have an alliance crises. all lebabense love money and girls. who can give it to us ksa or iran that is the equarnitons.
    true, i was going to add to the title "whores", but i thought i shouldn't be harsh... but now that you mentioned it, we are all whores

J

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
    Lebanon has a long long hard journey to become a country and a nation and this journey cannot begin until the country can somehow achieve disarmament. Once that is done, it can go through a long journey of ups and downs over a hundred years or so to hopefully emerge as one nation.

FPM helped delay this humble beginning by supporting arms outside the context of the state, and leveraging them politically.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    the truth is. we doestroyed out doutnry in 1975. game over. we have bene in the trap for 40 years. lebaneom is doomed unless we really pull something out of our ass.is it gona happen? some people are smart enough to realize that the logic and sense and knowledge that they feel...the other side if feels the exact same thing but exact opposite politically. so who made us this way. what is the purpose. who benefits from a split lebanon....syria and israel...because lebanese are truly something more special than our neigh hobors. everyone lebanese understand it and knows it. but how do we make it hapen. that is the question
    Looks like you did :D

JB81

JB81

Legendary Member
    Lebanon has a long long hard journey to become a country and a nation and this journey cannot begin until the country can somehow achieve disarmament. Once that is done, it can go through a long journey of ups and downs over a hundred years or so to hopefully emerge as one nation.

FPM helped delay this humble beginning by supporting arms outside the context of the state, and leveraging them politically.
    Fpm is the only party that tried to put basic elements for peaceful disarmament.

Others are just barking at the weapons for the Saudi behave...

Instead of the barking, the Saudi mercenaries could have built trust with the Shiites... only trust and dialogue can solve lebanon problem.

But you guys can keep barking on behalf of Al Saud... 10 years so far

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    true, i was going to add to the title "whores", but i thought i shouldn't be harsh... but now that you mentioned it, we are all whores
    Everyone should speak for themselves. Just sayin' :p