• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Lebanon: the identity crisis

TheDesertFox

Then it baffles the mind how you'd be ok giving any of it up.

I'm sure if you understood our history you would see that we have never been united ever, even if we were under the same national borders, just go all the way back to the Phoenicians. Even the same ethnoreligious groups in Lebanon are sometimes split. Keeping Lebanon united is obviously better but if its going to constantly go through cycles of division like the BS we have been experiencing over and over again the blood isn't worth it.

Indie

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
I'm sure if you understood our history you would see that we have never been united ever, even if we were under the same national borders, just go all the way back to the Phoenicians. Even the same ethnoreligious groups in Lebanon are sometimes split. Keeping Lebanon united is obviously better but if its going to constantly go through cycles of division like the BS we have been experiencing over and over again the blood isn't worth it.

Re-read the sentence in red, and ask yourself why that is, and how separation along sectarian lines can be a solution, then. Because I understand our history more than a lot of people, and you don't get out of the woods by walking deeper into the woods behind the same guides who got you lost in there in the first place.

Indie

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Re-read the sentence in red, and ask yourself why that is, and how separation along sectarian lines can be a solution, then. Because I understand our history more than a lot of people, and you don't get out of the woods by walking deeper into the woods.

And I'll give you an extra hint: who would be the biggest beneficiaries of the little separate pieces that would be left of Lebanon in case of separation?

Indie

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
I want to say Ahl al Sunnah

Although Shia get substantial amount of money too, and weapons..

That's just your sectarianism talking. Christians have their share of wealthy dynasties, I'm sure we don't need to name them, it is very clear who they are.

TheDesertFox

That's just your sectarianism talking. Christians have their share of wealthy dynasties, I'm sure we don't need to name them, it is very clear who they are.

Im sure Saudi Arabia would love to fund the Sunnis with wealth beyond what the Christians would have and Iran for the Shia.

Indie

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Im sure Saudi Arabia would love to fund the Sunnis with wealth beyond what the Christians would have and Iran for the Shia.

A little less funding, and little more funding...the point is, only those already in power and already wealthy benefit from sectarianism. The average Lebanese, no matter what sect they come from, are those who suffer from it.

My friend, identity is not defined by language alone. I pray in Syriac and I speak 4 languages....so what am I?
I am lebanese...ana eben libnen.
I speak 3 languages too and so does the english man or the french but which one do you mostly use ?
it's futile to deny the reality, you don't need to punish yourself.

Totenkopf

I speak 3 languages too and so does the english man or the french but which one do you mostly use ?
it's futile to deny the reality, you don't need to punish yourself.
The reality is I am Lebanese, not Phoenician, not Arab, not Canaanite or whatever. It's that simple.
The language that I speak is Lebanese, a unique language that has arabic/syriac/turkish/french/english words intertwined.

Not sure why you're forcing arabism on myself and yourself when you know very well that the land we were born in saw many people come and go.

The reality is I am Lebanese, not Phoenician, not Arab, not Canaanite or whatever. It's that simple.
The language that I speak is Lebanese, a unique language that has arabic/syriac/turkish/french/english words intertwined.
Not sure why you're forcing arabism on myself and yourself when you know very well that the land we were born in saw many people come and go.
I am not forcing you, I'm speaking the truth, they came and stayed for 100s literally 100s of years, they didn't go and that's the reason why us in Lebanon and most of the middle east speak Arabic as a native language and understand each others and you're the only country that speak many languages in the Arab world. The difference is that they didn't change their identity like you did.
secondly, stating that your ancestors are hunders of years old in Bcharri, while Lebanon as a country+identity is not even a 100 years old (2019-1946=73 years old < 100 years=1 century) . If so, what did your ancestors before them called themselves ?

Last edited:

Ice Tea

I am not forcing you, I'm speaking the truth, they came and stayed for 100s literally 100s of years, they didn't go and that's the reason why us in Lebanon and most of the middle east speak Arabic as a native language and understand each others and you're the only country that speak many languages in the Arab world. The difference is that they didn't change their identity like you did.
secondly, stating that your ancestors are hunders of years old in Bcharri, while Lebanon as a country+identity is not even a 100 years old (2019-1946=73 years old < 100 years=1 century) . If so, what did your ancestors before them called themselves ?

Look, you're an Arab Muslim colonizer with an Arab Muslim colonizer identity. Fine, we get it, but keep your identity to yourself. Stop trying to force it on the much older and native population, the Christians.

'Lebanese' as an identity may be fairly recent, but the Christian identity is much older. Middle Eastern Christian have always had a separate ethnic and cultural identity from Muslims. And that's precisely why the term Lebanese as an identity for Christians was created. Prior to that, all Levantine Christians identified as Syrians and Syrian was synonymous for Christian, until Arab Muslims usurped the Syrian identity. Since now Muslims also identify as Lebanese, simply Christian is our identity now.

Look, you're an Arab Muslim colonizer with an Arab Muslim colonizer identity. Fine, we get it, but keep your identity to yourself. Stop trying to force it on the much older and native population, the Christians.
'Lebanese' as an identity may be fairly recent, but the Christian identity is much older. Middle Eastern Christian have always had a separate ethnic and cultural identity from Muslims. And that's precisely why the term Lebanese as an identity for Christians was created. Prior to that, all Levantine Christians identified as Syrians and Syrian was synonymous for Christian, until Arab Muslims usurped the Syrian identity. Since now Muslims also identify as Lebanese, simply Christian is our identity now.
and during the Roman reign before Allah sent the son of Mary, shu kenet haweetak?

Totenkopf

So here's a simple question, is a citizen of Brazil Portuguese?