Lebanon's Electricity Problem - Updates and Discussions

CitizenOfTheRepublic

Legendary Member
When I was studying financial products, I learned that some of them transform assets from to and vice-versa, but a bad deal is still a bad deal.
Bassil was supposed to fix the electricity, and he was opposing the idea of ships, if you remember his interview with Maguy Farah.
He was not supposed to implement a bad solution.
Several years ago, when I was pointing out issues in the ships, el rafi2 @SeaAb , el Mareshal @SeaAb , asked me "do you want electricity this summer or NOT"?
The result was poor performance everywhere.
So bottom line, you can't give Bassil credit for his bad solution just because there is a worse one.
HE WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO GO FOR THE BAD...
HE IS ELON MUSK OF LEBANON,
THE GUY WHO NEVER SLEEPS.
and all this BS
he should have made good solutions during his 10years control of this portfolio
Apprently he was busy making deals ...
Bassilo can go to hell for all I care. I don't think though by pinning the electricity debacle entirely on him and by covering up for the major blockers and delayers that I am doing myself any favor. Minister Patek Philippe by sheer incompetence and corruption cost us $16B that I will have to end up paying for, all that so that he can stick it to Bassil and have his monocellular brains of supporters cheer him. And yet, the choir only focuses on Bassil.

Walidos

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
When I was studying financial products, I learned that some of them transform assets from to and vice-versa, but a bad deal is still a bad deal.
Bassil was supposed to fix the electricity, and he was opposing the idea of ships, if you remember his interview with Maguy Farah.
He was not supposed to implement a bad solution.
Several years ago, when I was pointing out issues in the ships, el rafi2 @SeaAb , el Mareshal @SeaAb , asked me "do you want electricity this summer or NOT"?
The result was poor performance everywhere.
So bottom line, you can't give Bassil credit for his bad solution just because there is a worse one.
HE WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO GO FOR THE BAD...
HE IS ELON MUSK OF LEBANON,
THE GUY WHO NEVER SLEEPS.
and all this BS
he should have made good solutions during his 10years control of this portfolio
Apprently he was busy making deals ...
Hey I gave my opinion straight out in the electricity thread. I don’t care if Bassil proposed it or Hariri or whoever, and I don’t care if Bassil or hariri or anyone said it was bad: it is the idea that works and that should have been implemented 30 years ago in parallel with building land plants, no subsidies and no unreasonable debt. Whether Bassil did the plan by mistake or 3an 2assed it was absolutely the right plan. Wether he washes his hands from it or not it is still the right plan. Preuve en est, look at where we are: no land plants, not enough supply and still paying for generators. If it were up to me I would get 6 more boats tomorrow!

Walidos

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Bassilo can go to hell for all I care. I don't think though by pinning the electricity debacle entirely on him and by covering up for the major blockers and delayers that I am doing myself any favor. Minister Patek Philippe by sheer incompetence and corruption cost us $16B that I will have to end up paying for, all that so that he can stick it to Bassil and have his monocellular brains of supporters cheer him. And yet, the choir only focuses on Bassil.
Wlak go further! When you truly understand the issue of the power supply there is no way you don’t support the boats plan as a first step until our “friends” in the MoF and MoW build some land plants :)

Harley

A post that should be pinned for a clear example of whataboutism.
In any case, as I said when you're covering for the real blockers/delayers you are reaping EXACTLY what you sow. It's all worth it since minister Patek Philippe ba3asso la Bassilo.
Sure for a democrats Bernie Sanders progressive view ; you support giving tender to associate business partner with government officials
@Patriot
@Zilzel

Only way to fix the electricity problem is to decentralize to local level, meaning give autonomy to municipalities in regions to come up with utility plans to deliver 24/24 hr electricity and potable water. Other than that, the central government will always fail to deliver anything and corruption will always take over.

FPM will always blame Mars or a flying elephant for their failures when they had the ministry of energy instead of admitting their mistakes or their negligence.

CitizenOfTheRepublic

Legendary Member
Only way to fix the electricity problem is to decentralize to local level, meaning give autonomy to municipalities in regions to come up with utility plans to deliver 24/24 hr electricity and potable water. Other than that, the central government will always fail to deliver anything and corruption will always take over.

FPM will always blame Mars or a flying elephant for their failures when they had the ministry of energy instead of admitting their mistakes or their negligence.
It is far more economical to have scale in electricity production, so you can’t go too local.
And yes FPM made many mistakes but let’s not overlook the major obstructionist role of all parties without exception especially Amal and FM in withholding funds, torpedoing deals, reneging on contracts and flip flopping on agreements. At the end of the day building a plant without the MoF funding is pretty much a flying elephant from Mars.

Harley

It is far more economical to have scale in electricity production, so you can’t go too local.
And yes FPM made many mistakes but let’s not overlook the major obstructionist role of all parties without exception especially Amal and FM in withholding funds, torpedoing deals, reneging on contracts and flip flopping on agreements. At the end of the day building a plant without the MoF funding is pretty much a flying elephant from Mars.
The council of ministers including the mfo
Gave the ministers of energy the greenlight to build deir amar 2 in June 2018
The minister awarded it to Alaa khawaja PM Harriri partner who was unable to build it
Cronyism plus total failure
@Patriot

JB81

Legendary Member
The council of ministers including the mfo
Gave the ministers of energy the greenlight to build deir amar 2 in June 2018
The minister awarded it to Alaa khawaja PM Harriri partner who was unable to build it
Cronyism plus total failure
@Patriot

Funny, how you stopped by "unable to build it" without explaining why

I beg to differ, I think smaller scales are more cost efficient and more productive than centralized ones.

Sure, FM and Amal are d*cks too, but I think it's always easier to shift the blame to someone else, shouldn't FPM resign from the ministry if FM and Amal obstruct the projects? Why fight a losing battle? resign and become part of the opposition. I just think it's FPM's way of not taking any accountability for their incompetency in the public energy sector.