• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Legalizing Civil Marriage in Lebanon!!!

Nayla

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Fellow Lebanese...

All of us have the desire to see confessionalism banned from our silly laws and to establish secular ones.
We can start by asking to legalize the civil marrige so that we allow to the people from different religions to get married.

We all want a secular country where we'll be respected as equal citizens with equal rights!!

That's why we should unite and sign this petition as first step, then we'll move forward to establish secular laws..

Legalize the Civil Marrige in Lebanon

[FIELDSET="Legalizing the Civil Marriage"]Legalize civil marriage in Lebanon

The Lebanese people can never truly expect to unite as one as long as government laws on marriage discourage people from putting their nationality at the forefront. If the Lebanese government truly believes in equality and in celebrating religious diversity under a national banner, they will consider allowing civil marriage as an option in Lebanon.

It can be a financial burden for some Lebanese to have to go abroad to get a civil marriage and an unfair burden on some people who have to convert - often insincerely - just to legally be with the ones they love. The lack of civil marriage is also a government-sponsored, societal attack on women in Lebanon, as in most cases - due to pressure - she is the one who converts. One should not have to settle for a religious ceremony if one does not deem it appropriate. Only those getting married have a say in that; religious clergy and the Lebanese government should not interfere with peoples' liberties. Furthermore, present marriage conditions in Lebanon discriminate against those who do not classify themselves as Christians, as Muslims, or as religious. Not all Lebanese hold religious beliefs and they should not be forced to have religious institutions be the ones to marry them.

We often hear Lebanese officials declare their hope for national unity. Now, we ask you to take the initiative to prove it. National unity starts with civil marriage being legalized and religious institutions not dictating everyone's marriage conditions. The absence of such a basic right in modernized countries is the reason why couples cannot get married, in accordance with how they see it fit, in their own country. We are not asking for the elimination of religious marriages. We are asking for the additional option of getting a civil marriage in Lebanon.
[/FIELDSET]

Almaza

It's a great cause and it's one the government will sit on until it gets the message. Hope this petition helps legalize it.

Thank you for posting this Nayla :thumbup1:

Picasso

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
A friend of mine loves a Christian girl, hopefully they will get married because they're both like two birds in love, young and optimistic with pure hearts.

But is it really that simple? what if the Christian girl marries the Muslim guy then he becomes a Salafi for example, growing that long beard, visiting his bet3am with a sword and a white dejdaje? One could imagine the following conversation between him and his wife's father:

Salafi: مسا الخير عمي الكافر
3ammo: أهلاً وسهلاً بالصهر القندهاري
Salafi: بعد في عندكن ويكسي؟
3ammo: ليش مش حرام عندك؟
Salafi: مبلا، بس بدي أحرق كم مستوعب نفايات ليقدروا الشباب يقوصو من خلفهم، انقطعنا من البنزين الله وكيلك

Or a Christian guy marries a Muslim girl, then he becomes an LFer cursing whatever considered as holy in her religion.

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
Orange Room Supporter
A friend of mine loves a Christian girl, hopefully they will get married because they're both like two birds in love, young and optimistic with pure hearts.

But is it really that simple? what if the Christian girl marries the Muslim guy then he becomes a Salafi for example, growing that long beard, visiting his bet3am with a sword and a white dejdaje? One could imagine the following conversation between him and his wife's father:

Salafi: مبلا، بس بدي أحرق كم مستوعب نفايات ليقدروا الشباب يقوصو من خلفهم، انقطعنا من البنزين الله وكيلك

Or a Christian guy marries a Muslim girl, then he becomes an LFer cursing whatever considered as holy in her religion.

lol that conversation will never happen because the father of that girl will never talk to her again ever!

Anyway yay for civil marriage! It's about time we get over our very odd attachments to religion!

Almaza

Sign the petition guys. :wink:

Even if you want to bring negative energy and post in this thread saying the petition will never work, 3al 2alile sign it first. You have nothing to lose. :1977: Ten seconds of your time is nothing and you get to say you helped make a difference.

If the petition gets enough signatures, it WILL work. This same site has forced Hillary Clinton to make a statement condemning Saudi Arabia. It has forced phone companies to drop fees against women in domestic abuse cases who failed to make payments in time.

If you believe in civil marriage in Lebanon, you should sign... period.

Almaza

Generally, you can tell what kind of man will eventually become a Salafist just as well as you could tell if your boyfriend is a creep, a serial rapist, a drug addict, etc.

Cases in which a Christian girl marries a Muslim guy and then gets a shock when he stops drinking at age 50, starts praying, etc might be somewhat common. There's nothing wrong with these scenarios anyway. People get more religious as they get older. Cases in which a Christian girl marries a Muslim guy and he eventually becomes a Salafist? These cases happen next to never.

My mom is Christian and my father is Muslim and I turned out alright. Or so I'm told. :biggrin: What's important is that the couples' level of religiousness is close to the same. When they met, both my parents weren't religious in the slightest. Now, they're somewhat more religious but that hasn't been something that's divided them. It's something that unites them. If one was really religious and the other was a borderline Agnostic, then a conflict might arise. It's about seeing eye to eye with how you go about religion, not about religion itself.

As for your scenario about the Christian guy marrying a Muslim girl, the same principal stands. A stereotypical LFer is never going to marry a Muslim girl. And a Muslim girl is just not going to marry the son of a checkpoint butcher. I've noticed that these interfaith marriages are almost always exclusive to Lebanese leftists or the SSNP, groups that can truly appreciate secularism.

Christians and Muslims who marry each other usually have everything in common with the exception of religion. That's why they work well together. A liberal Christian is not going to marry a Salafist anymore than a liberal Sunni is going to marry a Salafist. With that said, it's none of our business. If a Salafist and a Christian marry each other, hats off to them. I'm not one to condemn the lives of two others and two consenting adults know what they're doing.

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
Orange Room Supporter
Sign the petition guys. :wink:

Even if you want to bring negative energy and post in this thread saying the petition will never work, 3al 2alile sign it first. You have nothing to lose. :1977: Ten seconds of your time is nothing and you get to say you helped make a difference.

If the petition gets enough signatures, it WILL work. This same site has forced Hillary Clinton to make a statement condemning Saudi Arabia. It has forced phone companies to drop fees against women in domestic abuse cases who failed to make payments in time.

If you believe in civil marriage in Lebanon, you should sign... period.

I don't see the point of signing this petition! I've signed many petitions in my day and nothing ever helped! Participated heavily in a movement to protect women from abuse, it got stuck at the petition never heard anything about it anymore! We signed the petition for the protection of the newly discovered Phoenician port in Beirut, I don't know if something was done or not but if it helped with anything I'm sure we would have heard! Back when I was still in school we had a project about women's right to give their nationality to their children, we managed to get it to the UNESCO and interviewed a lot of people who were in power back then and we made a petition that got signed by about 4000 people, we also helped raise awareness about the subject by giving out stickers and t-shirts and whatever! It was a nice little project but that's it! A nice little project! Now I'm gonna sign this petition just in case it gets something done regardless of my personal belief!

L'arbalette

Fellow Lebanese...

All of us have the desire to see confessionalism banned from our silly laws and to establish secular ones.
We can start by asking to legalize the civil marrige so that we allow to the people from different religions to get married.

We all want a secular country where we'll be respected as equal citizens with equal rights!!

That's why we should unite and sign this petition as first step, then we'll move forward to establish secular laws..

Legalize the Civil Marrige in Lebanon

[FIELDSET="Legalizing the Civil Marriage"]Legalize civil marriage in Lebanon

The Lebanese people can never truly expect to unite as one as long as government laws on marriage discourage people from putting their nationality at the forefront. If the Lebanese government truly believes in equality and in celebrating religious diversity under a national banner, they will consider allowing civil marriage as an option in Lebanon.

It can be a financial burden for some Lebanese to have to go abroad to get a civil marriage and an unfair burden on some people who have to convert - often insincerely - just to legally be with the ones they love. The lack of civil marriage is also a government-sponsored, societal attack on women in Lebanon, as in most cases - due to pressure - she is the one who converts. One should not have to settle for a religious ceremony if one does not deem it appropriate. Only those getting married have a say in that; religious clergy and the Lebanese government should not interfere with peoples' liberties. Furthermore, present marriage conditions in Lebanon discriminate against those who do not classify themselves as Christians, as Muslims, or as religious. Not all Lebanese hold religious beliefs and they should not be forced to have religious institutions be the ones to marry them.

We often hear Lebanese officials declare their hope for national unity. Now, we ask you to take the initiative to prove it. National unity starts with civil marriage being legalized and religious institutions not dictating everyone's marriage conditions. The absence of such a basic right in modernized countries is the reason why couples cannot get married, in accordance with how they see it fit, in their own country. We are not asking for the elimination of religious marriages. We are asking for the additional option of getting a civil marriage in Lebanon.
[/FIELDSET]

Done... Although why would we want more ways to inflict marriage on people is beyond me... At least some couples have an excuse today ;-)

Seriously, great idea

L'arbalette

But is it really that simple? what if the Christian girl marries the Muslim guy then he becomes a Salafi for example, growing that long beard,.

The answer is pretty easy: My wife threatned with a divorce after a 10 day beard... And my daughter keeps complaining when I give her a kiss on the week-end "Papa, tu piques!!"

There's always an easy answer with soft power

Nayla

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Done... Although why would we want more ways to inflict marriage on people is beyond me... At least some couples have an excuse today ;-)

Seriously, great idea

hahahaha Rev, you really made my day :yelrotflmao:

I totally agree, but if wala bodd there'll be a marriage, let it be a civil one :rolleyes:

Almaza

It's important that everyone share the petition with family, friends, and on social media. That is the only way it will grow. Nayla and myself don't have the capacity to reach thousands of people (no matter what we'd like to believe :biggrin:).

Nayla

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
. Nayla and myself don't have the capacity to reach thousands of people (no matter what we'd like to believe :biggrin:).

Hahahaha :yelrotflmao:
specially me :biggrin:
I always have the pretention to think that I know at least the 3/4 of the world population :yelrotflmao:

edit: Now I'm thinking about something!!! oups!!! maybe that's why bousandal says that i'm the everlasting teenager :yelrotflmao:

Last edited:

Danny Z

Legendary Member
I am against legalizing civil marriage, it is a waste of time and waste of steps, I think we should legalize civil cohabitation and having children without marriage.

Nayla

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
I am against legalizing civil marriage, it is a waste of time and waste of steps, I think we should legalize civil cohabitation and having children without marriage.

tayyeb vote, then we'll vote for legalizing cohabitation and having children without marriage when you'll make a petition :rolleyes:

we7de bi we7de :tongue:

Danny Z

Legendary Member
tayyeb vote, then we'll vote for legalizing cohabitation and having children without marriage when you'll make a petition :rolleyes:

we7de bi we7de :tongue:

Marry me and I will vote. You can always give me money that works too, or both for that matter.

Nayla

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Marry me and I will vote. You can always give me money that works too, or both for that matter.

chou hal chantage hayda :tongue:
eza l 2ossa hek mn 2awwela, how it'll be after marriage?

lalalala, eza 7ayetna ra7 tballish bi chantage, bedda tkammil bi dansage :msntongue:

FBM

Same thing, a piece of paper doesn't mean anything

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
Orange Room Supporter

I think it's legal ? not that you'd have a recognized status you'll still be single but you can live with someone! However I don't think you can have children in that case ? Lol I don't know about children but I'm sure you can live with someone, you'll have issues with your neighbors and family members though