• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Legalizing Civil Marriage in Lebanon!!!

FBM

What piece of paper, when did I say I want papers?

personally I don't think what you are suggesting and marriage are that different. The only difference between getting married and what you suggested is, in my opinion, a piece of paper.

Almaza

Guys,

Don't like marriage? Don't get married. Don't like civil marriage? Don't get civil married.

But how about helping out those of us who do like civil marriage? What do you lose?

:thumbup1:

J. Abizeid

:oops:Just a hint…
If you don’t like to reveal your real name to the world, you might want to sign the petition and thank Nayla not at the same time…
I have a good idea who is who by matching times.
http://www.change.org/petitions/lebanese-government-legalize-civil-marriage-in-lebanon-2

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Nayla For This Useful Post: Abotareq93 (7 Hours Ago), alabellez (1 Day Ago), fpm_70652 (6 Hours Ago), lebanon_first (13 Hours Ago), loubnaniTO (11 Hours Ago), Red Phoenix (6 Hours Ago), Simsom (1 Day Ago), zoomzoom (13 Hours Ago), Zouxi (18 Hours Ago)

Danny Z

Legendary Member
personally I don't think what you are suggesting and marriage are that different. The only difference between getting married and what you suggested is, in my opinion, a piece of paper.

Well I don't care for the piece paper, I care more about the money spent getting this piece of paper, unless you mean that the piece of paper is the paper money used for the civil marriage, but you can also pay in plastic.

On the other hand, with civil marriage you can have children. Without one they are bastards and can't have a citizenship, that's why I want to go further than just civil marriage, give us human rights to match our biology, I want to have children out of marriage, they should be born with rights, aren't all humans equal at birth?

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
Orange Room Supporter
:oops:Just a hint…
If you don’t like to reveal your real name to the world, you might want to sign the petition and thank Nayla not at the same time…
I have a good idea who is who by matching times.
http://www.change.org/petitions/lebanese-government-legalize-civil-marriage-in-lebanon-2

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Nayla For This Useful Post: Abotareq93 (7 Hours Ago), alabellez (1 Day Ago), fpm_70652 (6 Hours Ago), lebanon_first (13 Hours Ago), loubnaniTO (11 Hours Ago), Red Phoenix (6 Hours Ago), Simsom (1 Day Ago), zoomzoom (13 Hours Ago), Zouxi (18 Hours Ago)

Lol you have too much free time on your hands! I took it one step further, I published it on facebook within 5 minutes of signing! Anyway many people already know my real first name now you know my last name hehe

Robin Hood

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
What's the usefulness of marriage or cohabitation gheir bi tewji3 rass?
Abou Sandal, chou nattir ta ttali2 w tokhlas men hal bala2?
I think marriage and all kinds of such unions should be punishable by torture.

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
Orange Room Supporter
What's the usefulness of marriage or cohabitation gheir bi tewji3 rass?
Abou Sandal, chou nattir ta ttali2 w tokhlas men hal bala2?
I think marriage and all kinds of such unions should be punishable by torture.

And here I thought marriage was already torture!

Dalzi

Legendary Member
Well I don't care for the piece paper, I care more about the money spent getting this piece of paper, unless you mean that the piece of paper is the paper money used for the civil marriage, but you can also pay in plastic.

On the other hand, with civil marriage you can have children. Without one they are bastards and can't have a citizenship, that's why I want to go further than just civil marriage, give us human rights to match our biology, I want to have children out of marriage, they should be born with rights, aren't all humans equal at birth?
Our ceremony is free. First, you have to fill out an 'intention to marry' for and you give it to the celebrant (sheikh or whatever) at least one month prior to the ceremony. You call the Sheikh and tell him 'come at 3pm'. He comes, 5 mins, you accept? Yes I do, sign here, you sign, give him a biscuit, and he leaves, or stays a bit to eat more biscuits. Then he takes the papers and does the civil registration for you.

Some people are a bit generous and they give him a few hundred bucks as a 'thank you' for his time and 7a2 benzeen. Most of the times he'd say 'a3uzu billah!' and refuse the sum. Then we can either ned7ashlo yehon bjaybto or thank God and put them back in ours.

Indie

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Lebanon: Civil Marriage Stuck in the Interior Ministry

By: Rajana Hamyeh

Published Sunday, January 12, 2014

In 2013, 10 civil marriages were conducted on Lebanese soil. Though good news, the facts on the ground do not bode well. A civil marriage conducted inside Lebanon is still treated as a precedent by the Lebanese state, with marriage paperwork being delayed by the Interior Ministry. Is the state stalling to ensure that civil marriage does not become an ordinary procedure?

Suleiman Kaspatian tied the knot with a civil marriage last August. He did not get married abroad as countless other Lebanese do. Armed with two significant victories, he stayed in Lebanon and married in the Chouf district.

The first victory was removing any reference to his sect on his ID card, which enabled him to marry in Lebanon based on Decree 60, issued by the French high commissioner in 1936: "People who do not belong to a particular sect are subject to civil law in personal status issues."

The second victory was ushered in by Kholoud Succariyeh and Nidal Darwish, the young couple who succeeded in officially registering the first civil marriage contract signed on Lebanese soil with the Directorate General of Personal Status (DGPS) of the Interior Ministry.

In the Interior Ministry, there are four requests for civil marriage registration that have been under study for quite some time, and six requests are still under consideration.
After the honeymoon, Kaspatian went to register his marriage. Six months after filing his request, Kaspatian has not been able to celebrate his victory. The DGPS is still studying his file although Kaspatian said they did not request additional papers. “The last time I checked they told me, ‘Come back after the new year,’” he said.

The new year came and Kaspatian is still without an official document from the Lebanese state. Who is responsible for keeping Kaspatian and his wife without an official document that proves their marriage? Will it take a battle at the Interior Ministry with every case of civil marriage?

Fatima’s civil marriage is also in limbo at the Interior Ministry. She had assumed the paperwork was complete when she filed her request over a month ago, but the ministry did not request additional paperwork.

What’s going on then?

Suzanne Khoury, head of the DGPS, said the process does not resemble a battle. The proof? “Two marriages have already been registered, and the data on four more are being finalized,” she said. “Our intentions are sound. Even though we support civil marriage and hope to have civil law for personal status issues, we are obligated to closely check all the papers filed in case there is something missing. Being a civil marriage does not mean we have to rush to register it.”

According to Interior Minister Marwan Charbel, codes and procedures require “studying the files in case there is something missing to ensure at least that the marriage is purely civil – not civil on the surface and religious underneath. This is what happened with Nidal and Kholoud. That’s the law and we have to implement it.”

That, in principle, is how it should be, but things have played out differently so far. Nidal and Kholoud waged a battle to officially register their marriage in the DGPS to ensure the “legitimacy” of their son Ghadi. After their victory, the interior minister emerged declaring their marriage a precedent, but tried to impose conditions, arguing that “to protect their rights and their children’s rights, spouses should not leave their religious communities pending a personal status civil law because there is no nineteenth sect in Lebanon.”

Today, there are 10 civil marriages, eight of them signed by notary public Joseph Bechara. In the Interior Ministry, there are four requests for civil marriage registration that have been under study for quite some time, and six requests are still under consideration.

But does a civil marriage chosen by two consenting adults in their own country require this much work? Maintaining civil marriage as a mere precedent does not give the Lebanese aspiring for a civil state their rights.

http://english.al-akhbar.com/node/18204

Indie

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
The article says that when people get a civil marriage in Lebanon, they are subject to civil law in personal status issues. What are some examples of how the civil law differs from the various religious laws?

dodzi

Legendary Member
Can someone explain to me why, under the proposition made by the Ministry, should a couple who gets married civilly, pay administrative costs/compensation (or however you want to call it) to the religious group of the husband? What exactly entitles a clergy to that money?

The article says that when people get a civil marriage in Lebanon, they are subject to civil law in personal status issues. What are some examples of how the civil law differs from the various religious laws?

Moreover, what are the rules regarding divorce, inheritance, etc. under the civil law?

Indie

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Can someone explain to me why, under the proposition made by the Ministry, should a couple who gets married civilly, pay administrative costs/compensation (or however you want to call it) to the religious group of the husband? What exactly entitles a clergy to that money?

Maybe they figured it's the only way to get the clergy on board?

Moreover, what are the rules regarding divorce, inheritance, etc. under the civil law?

When a Lebanese couple gets a civil marriage abroad, the laws of country they wed in apply (to which extent, it's unclear). But with people starting to get civil marriages in Lebanon, it seems there's a blank there. As with most topics in Lebanon other than tourism, there isn't much information online.

I did find a PDF brochure by KAFA. It went over different religious personal status laws and the different ways they apply to men and women. It's shocking that Lebanese women agree to get married religiously under such unfair conditions.

Placebo

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Btw this is a political thread by excellence, i don't understand why it's put in "Lebanon away from politics" .

And im sorry the law presented by Cortbawi is outrageous. It's not acceptable at all.

Jo

Administrator
Master Penguin
قرّر وزير الداخلية والبلديات، نهاد المشنوق، طرح موضوع إجراء الزواج المدني في لبنان وتسجيله في وزارة الداخلية، على مجلس الوزراء غداً، لاتخاذ القرار المناسب بهذا الشأن.